• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food question - this'll make you laugh

emsr2d2

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to do a short stretch from Negreira to Muxia in May 2015. Still at the planning stage.
Hi all

I already have a thread started on our actual walk but I wanted to ask this separately. I'm walking Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia at the end of June and I'm starting to think about the food side of things.

We're staying at Castelo, A Picota Mazaricos, Cee, Finisterre, Lires and possibly Muxia. I'm vegetarian (lacto-ovo so no meat, fish, seafood, or jamón!) but dairy and eggs are OK - that side doesn't actually concern me too much as I've been to Spain plenty of times and have always found good veggie food.

The complication is that in the last few months I have developed a fairly severe gluten intolerance. I would normally load up on bread at dinner and breakfast but suddenly now, I'm not able to have bread, pasta, croquetas (disaster!) and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of either a) finding gluten-free foods or b) whether there's lots of good, vegetarian, filling foods en route!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Darn that is tough! There are good places to eat in Finnesterre as it seemed to me once you reach Corcubion like any beach resort area the wealth factor kicks in & more services & fancy food places pop up. It will be more of an issue the first 2-3 days you walk. Compared to the Francis route this will seem like it is absolutely quite. I would suggest you find a good market & pack some items just to make sure you have something you can eat. This is a very nice walk but not many places that serve food in the remote parts.
Have a fantastic Camino
Keith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@emsr2d2, if you search on gluten free in this forum, you'll find several posts that might be of help.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Just eat the veggies. Nice meal in finesterri.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
you should be able to find oatcakes/ricecakes and oatmeal in Santiago - but maybe not in smaller places.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sounds like a diet of bananas, beans and tortillas. Spain without pan or medialunas? Torture.

A post on a related thread mentioned that bread made with flour from Spain had significantly less gluten in it and was better tolerated by GF sensitive (but not celiacs). I'm hoping this is true because the breads there look fantastic. I'd like to get my hands on some flour to try it out. Does anyone know of a source in the US?

Must be true, because I was walking with a friend who loves bread but doesn't do well with it in the US, and she was fine in Spain. And yes, the bread's totally delicious! emsr2d2, you might try a nibble and see how you go...you might be surprised. She was.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everyone. I plan to have a big stock of gf, veggie snack bars from the UK with me when I arrive and I will get fruit etc on the way. The bread thing is interesting - in France, I can get away with eating the local baguettes but I was in Spain 2 weeks ago and after a day of toast for breakfast, bread with lunch and having had pasta for dinner the night before, I was really ill!

I don't mind living on tortilla española and pimientos al padron!

I'll search the term in the forum and see what else I can find.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.