• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food question.

Rick Chollett

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring of 2018.
I've planned on carrying some food along during my walk. I'm curious about what others have taken to eat in between towns? I figured I can buy fruits, dry sausage, cheese and bread. I'll be walking starting mid May so I'm sure the temperature will be a factor. I've never been a huge fan of energy bars.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In addition to your list, I often bought small bags of olives, canned tuna and large chocolate bars filled with nuts, all eaten for lunch or as snacks.

Nuts, boiled eggs, dried fruit (especially dates)....you’ll find magdalenas everywhere but they could hardly be called nutritious!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I plan on eating by the side of the way it's some variation of tomatoes, cheese, olives, bread, carrots, and sometimes a hard-boiled egg. And a few of those little packets of olive oil that you can buy. Also to put on top of the bread and tomatoes and olive oil: salt, pepper, and Dalia brand smoked paprika (which you can get in almost any sizeable tienda).
Nuts are easily available, too, and my go-to quick snack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nuts, olives, peppers sliced the night before, jamon, cheese, bread, dried fruit, fresh fruit, sardinettes (a little messy), tuna, pate in small packs, salami, salt. I carried the runny bits in a couple of small plastic boxes with clip on lids the rest in ziplocks.

Last edited:
I like bringing canned tuna, trail mix (I make my own mix of nuts and dried fruit), applesauce in squeeze pouches, and granola bars or cookies that have a higher content of fiber or protein.

What route will you be walking? Just a note that in May and June the temperature in Galicia is usually still quite cool (in the 60's and 70's), especially in the mornings (can be as low as in the 50's) - things don't really warm up here until August or September.

Enjoy all your planning and Buen Camino!

Get a roll of Goat Cheese with bread or crackers. Kiwi is good. Check out different pâtés as some brands are salty. You can go to the store and buy some bread, cheese and meat and make your own bocadillo the night before or during the day. Better and cheaper especially if you shop with another Pilgrim and split the cost.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These were not snacks ... more like TV dinners that we found in even small grocery stores. There were vegetable and bean dishes that we ate right from the package. Along with some fruit or a salad, it made a perfect lunch.

Attachments

• 20170920_204617.jpg
    20170920_204617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
I've planned on carrying some food along during my walk. I'm curious about what others have taken to eat in between towns? I figured I can buy fruits, dry sausage, cheese and bread. I'll be walking starting mid May so I'm sure the temperature will be a factor. I've never been a huge fan of energy bars.
I'd buy a half dozen eggs at a local market when available and boil them and eat some the next morning and some for later on sharing with anyone who wanted it. They have their own packaging so it works quite well.

I like bringing canned tuna, trail mix (I make my own mix of nuts and dried fruit), applesauce in squeeze pouches, and granola bars or cookies that have a higher content of fiber or protein.

What route will you be walking? Just a note that in May and June the temperature in Galicia is usually still quite cool (in the 60's and 70's), especially in the mornings (can be as low as in the 50's) - things don't really warm up here until August or September.

Enjoy all your planning and Buen Camino!
I'll be taking the Napoleon route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd buy a half dozen eggs at a local market when available and boil them and eat some the next morning and some for later on sharing with anyone who wanted it. They have their own packaging so it works quite well.
I like the thought of sharing. It's a good way to meet people and start a conversation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In Italy, I like to buy canned tuna salads - Mexican salad is my favourite :) Some cans even come with a small plastic fork making them ideal for eating on the go!

Canned tuna is great on its own, too. Olives and hard cheese are a good idea as well!

Cherries, biscuits and more cherries

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took fruit, they had the best peaches and nectarines I've ever tasted (can get squishy in your pack if you're not careful) and a home made bocadillo with goodies from the mercado. Never carried much.
Sometimes we would catch up with other pilgrims and share our food stashes. Always fun.

Frutos secos (nuts and raisins) Babybel cheese, apple, Chiquilín biscuits, water.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Those incredibly delicious ' flat peaches ' that seem to be available everywhere in Spain and are almost never seen in Australia !
A few of these are a marvelous snack , healthy , thirst quenching and invigorating all in one .
They won't disintegrate into a pulpy mess inside your pack either .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Those incredibly delicious ' flat peaches ' that seem to be available everywhere in Spain and are almost never seen in Australia !
A few of these are a marvelous snack , healthy , thirst quenching and invigorating all in one .
I've never heard of flat peaches.

Save those energy bars for the expedition to Mars or a doomsday bunker. As you've already read, there is really great regular food on the Camino, and much well priced as well!

Those peaches are the best! I forgot about them but, oh my, so sweet!

I took fruit, they had the best peaches and nectarines I've ever tasted (can get squishy in your pack if you're not careful) and a home made bocadillo with goodies from the mercado. Never carried much.
Sometimes we would catch up with other pilgrims and share our food stashes. Always fun.
Which month were you walking ?

Which month were you walking ?

September - October for peaches and nectarines. In June we got the cherries, also great,
And the tomatoes in Autumn were massive and tasty, a meal in themselves.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you, Anamiri. I'm going in May, so we'll see what will they have. :)

Never bothered much about carrying a picnic meal as I walked the Frances with all its frequent towns and I absolutely loved stopping to eat in bars and cafes along the way. Any excuse to connect with locals, contribute to the local economy, and simply relax.
That said, I usually had an emergency stash of some tea bags, plus one or two pieces of some previous night’s stale bread as well as a few in-the-shell walnuts and almonds rattling around the bottom of a pocket of my backpack. You never know when you mght end up in a situation where all the shops and bars are closed at any time of the day.
What I also always had was something I called my “incentive”. I might carry it for a week at a time without using it but on those long, hard afternoons when my bed was still several kilometres away and the afternoon was closing in, I would get out my incentive. Sometimes it was a small packet of pistachios or peanuts. Often it was a small packet of potato chips or crisps (depending on which part of the world you are from). For me they where the ideal incentive food because a) available in small packets, b) lots of carbs, c) oil, c) salt and above all, d) ultra-lightweight. Green Lays were my favs. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Occasionally a natural yoghurt with banana and seeds made for a nourishing snack.

Funny you should ask this question as I have been researching what best to eat, as supplements on long distance hikes. I came across this site;

https://thetrek.co/4-must-supplements-long-distance-backpacking/

The requirements are logical, being;

Fish Oil, for Omega3 fatty acids (or fish, like tuna etc),

Probiotics - to aid in maintaining your gut microbiome (this is what helps proper digestion).

Electrolytes - These re diminished by drinking more water to stay well hydrated, but also must be replenished. After injuring my left leg, I discovered the benefits of daily electrolytes. Now, I add them in my morning smoothie. Not sure how I will maintain on the Camino yet.

Finally, I can see Pilgrims not getting enough protein in our daily diet. Protein Powder may not be the answer either but hey, it can be added to just about anything like porridge, soup, maybe even hot drinks?

€149,-
I think that the advice for thru-hikers is probably overkill for the Camino. Although the Camino is a long walk, it is far from a thru-hike. I think the longest stretch between towns on the Camino Frances is 17km. There's plenty of food available, and most of the time the variety is pretty good. Sometimes Pilgrims Menus get a little tiresome, but that is rarely the only choice, except in some small villages.

I don't think getting enough protein is an issue - it's Spain, they put meat in everything. Vegetarians will have to work a little harder to make sure they get enough from non-meat sources, but if you are a meat eater, then it's easy. Every ensalada mixta (mixed salad) comes with tuna on it. Lentejas (lentil soup) will be cooked with a ham hock, and probably chorizo. Grilled meat is on almost every menu. Spanish tortilla is ubiquitous - made of egg and potato, sometimes some kind of meat too. And then there's all the delicious cured meats.

For electrolytes, there are gatorade-type drinks available - Aquarius is a popular one, but has less sugar than gatorade. And there are electrolyte tablets in the pharmacies that you can add to your water if you find that you aren't replenishing your minerals with your food.

I think that the advice for thru-hikers is probably overkill for the Camino. Although the Camino is a long walk, it is far from a thru-hike. I think the longest stretch between towns on the Camino Frances is 17km. There's plenty of food available, and most of the time the variety is pretty good. Sometimes Pilgrims Menus get a little tiresome, but that is rarely the only choice, except in some small villages.

I don't think getting enough protein is an issue - it's Spain, they put meat in everything. Vegetarians will have to work a little harder to make sure they get enough from non-meat sources, but if you are a meat eater, then it's easy. Every ensalada mixta (mixed salad) comes with tuna on it. Lentejas (lentil soup) will be cooked with a ham hock, and probably chorizo. Grilled meat is on almost every menu. Spanish tortilla is ubiquitous - made of egg and potato, sometimes some kind of meat too. And then there's all the delicious cured meats.

For electrolytes, there are gatorade-type drinks available - Aquarius is a popular one, but has less sugar than gatorade. And there are electrolyte tablets in the pharmacies that you can add to your water if you find that you aren't replenishing your minerals with your food.

Indeed! A healthy person does not need suplements on the Camino. Just eat a varied diet. Lentejas are a good source! And instead of capsules of Vitamine C just buy some oranges or kiwi.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

For electrolytes,

in the farmacias it is possible to buy sachets with powder, called litines by locals. One a day in the drinking water you carry. Horrible, but necessary. I do not know how much sugar they have.

For electrolytes,

in the farmacias it is possible to buy sachets with powder, called litines by locals. One a day in the drinking water you carry. Horrible, but necessary. I do not know how much sugar they have.
I wouldn't say necessary. I walked two Caminos without electrolyte supplements. I also didn't use any pain relievers. I do take fish oil and a probiotic, but I use those at home too.

Just watched a programme on how to get fit where there was specific advice 're endurance activity, described as 'activity of over 90 minutes' . It recommended 'carb loading'... converting carbs into energy to keep you going. Basically eat carbs inc fruit. This would explain what happened after a few days to my diet ('listen to your body') as I found myself instinctively eating fruit (most often the delicious cherries, but also bananas and nectarines), plus cereal with milk (when i had a more formal breakfast) and biscuits and occasionally cake (the latter a bit dodgy I guess) for breakfast and whilst walking ...and shunning the meat and dairy protein that i generally eat. Other meals when taken were usually seafood...portugal and Galicia being seafood heaven I did indulge...often with an ensalada completo). Water, coffee and fresh fruit juices sustained me during the walking...there was also cold beer from time to time...but i did start to favour cold sugary coke ...(which normally i never drink) so more carb craving there I guess.. I should add that I was walking on average about 25ks everyday in hot to very hot temperatures. I did not take any supplements and generally felt fit and well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In addition to already mentioned whey, nuts and dried fruits, in my diet during trekking, races and Caminos there is always a considerable portion of chia seeds.

Stop lIke everyone else and buy something at the shops or cafeteria it’s only a matter of a few k!s between towns

My one Camino experience was a tale of two parts. The first 2 weeks were very hot. We made the mistake of bringing cheese one day which was a greasy mess by lunchtime. luckily I had double-bagged it! So bread, buns, cereal bars, fruit placed carefully at the top of the pack, had to do. Practically overnight, the temperature dropped to 6-13° C. Then we had pate on crackers, substantial Spanish rolls with ham and cheese, Russian salad from the supermarket, yogurts. At all times we carried nuts and dried fruit, easily eaten on the go when energy flagged, and a lifesaver when our planned stop at a bar/cafe was met by a locked door in smaller villages.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Figs and walnuts from on the path are a real treat! :):)

As I am 65 and suffer from IT Band Syndrome, these few essentials are mandatory, even on the Camino. And, if I had taken them on my first, failed Camino in 2016, I may have completed it.

Yes, there are many options but as you mentioned Gatorade, Waaaay too much sugar. And most electrolyte tablets have more salt than necessary.

If anyone feels they could be susceptible, I do suggest that they consider adding these to their daily intake. I wish I had this information 2 or 3 years ago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In addition to your list, I often bought small bags of olives, canned tuna and large chocolate bars filled with nuts, all eaten for lunch or as snacks.
Do the cans of tuna have pop-off lids or is it necessary to carry a can opener?

Mate if you can't go without food for a FEW hours don't go.
You are not in Siberia , Spain does have towns, villages, cities and caravans [ pop ups]
They even have kids selling fruit , drinks etc

Half a million per annum walk this path and the Spanish are wise Rick ,
They even have an old thief [ God forbid ] an 80 plus grandmother who offers you pancakes whilst on the path , sorry i mean SELLS for a euro or more and Rick ......... don't try and give her less .
You are in the middle of her village .
When you get to the town , a few km's away , they give you these for "zilch" when having a drink
She lives in a mansion and owns as far as you can see.
Don't worry about carrying food until you reach Burgos mate seriously,
Every time you have a coffee, thats 5-10 km or 2-3 hours , have a bite.
Not too hard........ surely.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Oranges, those wonderful zipper skinned Spanish Clemantines, and nuts.

We liked to have something for at least a snack while we rested and sometimes in the morning there is nothing open until you've gone a few kms. I usually kept my orange or apple from the previous night's Pilgrim Meal dessert. Normally they were huge so we would split one until we could find a place open for tortilla and cafe con leche.

One of our first purchases upon arrival in SJPDP was an larger folding knife with a corkscrew. We used the knife daily. We liked to stop and get a baguette and also buy a couple of pats of butter. We went to the grocery the night before and got a packet of jamon and some of those spreadable cheese wedges. Although we always stopped for breakfast, sometimes there was nothing open or serving when we wanted some lunch and this way we could stop whenever we found a place and make our own sandwich. We used our knife to split the bread lengthwise and then to spread our butter and cheese. When available, we would also buy eggs and hard boil them for a breakfast and a later snack. I loved the tuna, but found it messy unless I was in an albergue where I could cook. I like to cook and although we often ate out in the evening, it was fun to cook together with others as well.

A tin of sardines in tomato sauce - in a ring pull can - makes good emergency rations with a stick of bread or the smaller bocadillo bread buns. An apple and sometimes a croissant. The bread keeps for a couple of days if in a food bag, but more usually was eaten in the evening with some fresh cheese or a pack of jamon having bought next day's bread too.
Mostly we eat our main meal at lunchtime and a sandwich at night. No problems most days with a need for much extra as a coffee and bocadillo filled the gap between breakfast and lunch, and we did not set off so early as to not have breakfast.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The most unnecessary weight I tended to carry was food, which I called "insurance food". I was walking with a teenage boy, though, and I really wanted my protection from him being too "hangry". I generally carried a stick of bread, some chorizo or sausage, often a bit of cheese, and perhaps a bit of fruit. In certain parts of the walk, also artisanal chocolate. :) Sometimes the food would get eaten. Sometimes it would be eventually discarded and replaced.

Food is plentiful on the Camino, especially at that time of year when everything has fully awoken from winter slumber. There will be fruit, fruta seca, chocolate, chorizo, bread, cheese galore, within kms. The trick will be NOT carrying too much food, and adding unnecessary weight to your pack. Buen Camino!

Trying to understand the rhythm of eating...first cafe in the morning is breakfast? store bought food for on the trail? and bar/restaurant for dinner? Do most towns have a grocery store? I will probably walking for the month of May... does that impact what is available as far as eating establishments?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trying to understand the rhythm of eating...first cafe in the morning is breakfast? store bought food for on the trail? and bar/restaurant for dinner? Do most towns have a grocery store? I will probably walking for the month of May... does that impact what is available as far as eating establishments?

With a few exceptions you'll be going through a village, town or city every 5 to 10km, this is not a wilderness hike, there are cafes and stores in most every village and town, though they may be small and have limited menus/shelf items.
Keep in mind Spain is a modern country with all the amenities of your home country and depending on the size of the town you are in you will find they have every kind and size of cafe, restaurant and stores (even fast food places like Burger King!) that you are used to at home.
Some establishments will be open early when you start out from your albergue, some not, and during siesta time, 2pm to 5pm average, your will find your choices are limited. I found within an hour or so of starting each morning I was at a cafe enjoying my first cafe con leche.
One more tip, if you don't already know some Spanish, learn some basics, especially Gracias!
Lastly, by the time you begin your camino in May the camino infrastructure will be open and welcoming. Enjoy.

You'll find your own daily rhythm pretty quickly.

For breakfast, some people get up very early (4:30-5am) to have breakfast before they start. Others get moving and then stop for breakfast at the next village which is usually about 4-6km along the trail. My wife and I don't eat breakfast at home anyway, and are lucky that we don't 'need' it on the trail either, so we don't eat anything until about midday except maybe a bar or a piece of fruit, though this is atypical.

We often had a picnic lunch with bread, tomatoes, avocado, spreads etc, which we liked because we could stop anywhere to eat it and often did so in nature rather than being 'forced' to eat in a village (again probably atypical). Then dinner at the albergue or a restaurant in the village. Most villages have a grocery store and the camino will be in full swing by May so you don't need to worry about things not being open yet, although as the post above mentioned, be aware of siesta time and the general disconnect between Spanish time and camino time.

Last edited:
Thank you mvanert and jungleboy. Very much appreciated. I am finding it hard to break out of my "self-contained-backpacking-mode of thinking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Those were the exact things i carried in an expandable lightweight bag (the very thin kind that folds up into a tiny pouch). Picnic lunches made up of local ingredients were part of the fun on my walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona. However, i had an elevated level of cholesterol at a checkup when i got home after eating all that cheese and cured meat!! Back to normal now. But i plan to eat it all again when i return this year to do another stretch to Burgos!

As I am 65 and suffer from IT Band Syndrome, these few essentials are mandatory, even on the Camino. And, if I had taken them on my first, failed Camino in 2016, I may have completed it.

Since you have specific requirements, you should definitely do what you need to in order to remain healthy. That's why I said that the thru-hiker advice was probably over-kill for the Camino - those with special requirements may need supplements, etc. but for most people, they are unnecessary. Like anything else, we all need to figure out what works for our individual bodies.

Fruits are Good. Fresh and Good energy full of vitamins.

I Have been taking nuts and cheese and bread and chocolate But all These stuff made me thirsty and Heavy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

When my son and I walked in 2016, we fell into a rhythm of two main meals a day plus snacks. We would get up very early and hit the road likely between 5:30 and 6:00, generally on an empty stomach. Sometimes we would have a very light breakfast if it was included and set out the night before by the hospitalero/a. We would walk until we found a place for a good hearty breakfast. Early in the camino, this might be 5 km or so, later on we pushed it for 10 or 12 km. As I said, breakfast was pretty hearty. Cafe con leches, bocadillos (I liked the tortilla de patatas bocadillos), and perhaps a pastry and orange juice if available. We generally got to our destination about lunch time but were too tired to eat. We might do some snacking in the afternoon. Our other main meal was the evening communal meal or pilgrim menu. Others we saw (especially Europeans) seemed to like having a mid-day substantial meal, but that wasn't our habit.

Most towns will have a grocery store or even a supermarket (which is nice). Villages often now have little shops that will sell groceries, but not all of them. It is worth checking your guidebook and planning.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.