• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food restrictions due to sensitivity

Ginabina

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2016)
Hi! I'll be walking my first Camino from SJPDP to Santiago (and possibly to Fisterra) starting on September 7th. Due to food sensitivities, I avoid gluten, dairy, all grains, and all legumes. I primarily eat meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and seeds, as well as eggs and potatoes. It appears bread, pasta, cheese, and yogurt are huge staples on the Camino. I'm not worried, as I'm sure I'll have something I'll be able to eat ... not to mention I have enough extra energy stored in my body (aka a little extra fat lol) that I should be fine ... but, I was wondering if there are any other pilgrims out there in my situation and how they survived. I plan to eat a lot of nuts and seeds and dried fruit ... egg tortillas (eggs and potatoes), meat, and veggies. Any suggestions? Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would suggest you make a list of all the food you need to avoid and a little text for restaurants explaining this. You could then put it on a laminated card and show it to the waiter if you are not fluent in Spanish.
Buen Camino, SY

My wife has to eat wheat and gluten free foods.
I saw this and kept it in case my elementary Spanish was not good enough.
I hope that expert Spanish speakers will check it and advise you.
Good luck and no tummy problems
Buen Camino

Attachments

• spanish-gluten-free-restaurant-card.pdf
    172.7 KB · Views: 24
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The advise provided by @SYates above is a good one.

I don't foresee (too many) problems for you on the Camino once you make clear what you can't eat (what can be the most difficult part of it all). Meat with potatoes will always be available (ask always for meat sin rebozar). Fruit is readily available in any not too small town. Potato tortilla is easy to find too. You shouldn't have problems either with some dishes like, for example, Patatas a la riojana, Menestra de verduras or Pimientos rellenos (de carne) but confirm it wherever you plan to try them just in case they added something you can't eat.

Hi Ginabina, I have food sensitivities, and have walked the Camino several times in the Fall without having any digestive problems. Everything you name as foods you can eat, I've been able to find along the Camino Frances without any problems. Vegetables and fruit are everywhere - ENSALADA MIXTA - mixed salad is available on every menu, and can be requested to replace the pasta dishes. For dessert, instead of the dairy based ones, you can ask for fresh fruit. From about 10 am (usually not before) and throughout the day, all eating places including bars serve huevos y becon or jamon - eggs and bacon or ham - usually with french fries. Eggs can be scrambled (huevos revueltos) or fried (huevos fritos) - usually sunnyside up. If you don't see ensalada mixta and eggs and becon or jamon on a menu, just ask for them - I was never disappointed. Occasionally you will get canned vegetables. Not to worry, they're still good and nutritious!

Be sure to shop in the grocery stores - they have a wonderful selection of foods, and many have small, but excellent fresh produce sections as well as meat sections (for chorizo, ham, etc). Watch for people selling fresh produce from trucks or vans, and you may be lucky enough to happen across the weekly market in a village.

And, as usual, @SYates and @Castilian have great advice!

Buen Camino and buen provecho!
Terry

I would suggest you make a list of all the food you need to avoid and a little text for restaurants explaining this. You could then put it on a laminated card and show it to the waiter if you are not fluent in Spanish.
Buen Camino, SY
I walked part of the time with a gal who had very serious food allergies and although she did have her medical bracelet on and could speak some Spanish, she also had a laminated card with text on it and it worked perfectly for her.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ginabina, you will know as much as anyone, how careful you need to be.
Many things such as sauces etc. include wheat or gluten products that may upset your stomach.
potato tortilla, for example may well contain some wheat products even if this is not mentioned
Go careful out there,and enjoy your walk.
Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back