• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food + Sleeping mat + general tips

Xavier_R

Hello,

I have spent the last week reviewing most topics and have found it incredibly useful, this forum is gold dust. I'll be walking the North route in June/July, starting 6th of June in Irun (ish - haven't got my train tickets yet!).

I have a couple questions which you can hopefully shed some light onto. Apologies if this info is already available!!

1 - Food - from what I gather people just ate on the go, buying baguettes and the like to sustain them during the trip. I plan to do the same, but for breakfast I would love to be able to eat porridge as it fills me right up but don't want to have to bring a stove along with me, do Albergues have kitchen facilities? If not what did people do for breakfast?

2 - Sleeping bag - I plan to bring a sleeping bag for i) in case albergues are full and ii) in case the weather is appropriate and I get to sleep under the stars. I read in previous posts that people did this. Question is, should I then bring a sleeping mat?

3 - Completely general, if there was one tip you would give to people, be it taking the Primitivo, listening to Simon and Garfunkel while walking past San Vicente de la Barquera, using the E9 coastal route or even sustaining the walk with brazil nuts because they're tasty, what would it be? :)

Thank you for your time,

Buen Camino and best wishes,

Xavier

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There is plenty in the Forum on a sleeping bag, so read up on the recommendations. Have you slept on the ground before? If so, you may want the same gear as you have used in the past. Abandoned sleeping mats are everywhere, so many pilgrims take them, but few use them. In an emergency, I am sure someone with a mat in a full albergue will loan it to you.

I have cooked oatmeal in the morning. Many places have kitchens. Cookware is more problematical. The cooking and clean-up will slow your start. My typical breakfast was tostadas, orange juice, and coffee in the nearest bar. During the day, I ate from my pack -- fruit, yogurt, bread, cheese, meat, canned tuna/sardines/pulpo, etc. -- or stopped for a sandwich or omelet. Dinner was usually the menu del dia.

Welcome, and have fun!

I am not sure what porridge is, but if it's like oatmeal, I found cooking facilities in "most" albergues. However, a cooking pot may be absent. The cost (in weight) of carrying a pound of dry food around wouldn't be worth it to me. You can buy fresh fruit, fresh eggs by the each, and other foods to cook or carry, so I personally would not carry cereal.Please don't worry about eating. Thousands of pilgrims each year are able to find food along the Camino. It's a very well-supported walking trail.

The one thing I saw more than any other item on the Camino in the FREE BOXES were sleeping mats. I took one on my first Camino and dumped it within the first week. On my second Camino I didn't take one and I did not miss it. If you go without one, you'll find a free one along the way, I promise!

By the way, the "tostada" people speak of is not like a Mexican tostada. It is a nice sliced pie made of potatoes, onions, and eggs and is a filling, lovely breakfast. It also travels well. Almost every larger village has a bakery and the pasteries in Spain are awesome.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One creative woman wanted boiled eggs for breakfast in Leon. That kitchen really only had an electric kettle so she boiled them in that :? I wouldn't do porrige that way though :!:

Actually, the tostada is just toast, usually served up with one pat of butter and one restaurant pack of jelly! Annie is talking about the tortilla -- tortilla de patatas and other flavors -- which is like an baked omelet, not like the flat tortilla of the Americas. If you want an omelet, you specify tortilla francesa. They will add queso (cheese) or jamon (ham) on request for a bit more money.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm half Spanish so know all about the wonders of tortilla de patata!!

Porridge is indeed oats, and I appreciate your opinion of carrying a pan and also the weight of the porridge. I will have to 'weigh' up the pros and cons. Porridge will be cheaper and a good source of slow-release energy. I am on a big of a tight budget. Although I guess I could simply buy some bread and toast it at the albergues.

Sleeping mat information granted, I'll leave it out and see what happens on the walk!

Once again thanks a lot for the info.

Xavier

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh, Falcon, you are RIGHT! :lol:

That's what happens when you try to watch Dr. Zhivalgo and type forum responses at the same time. :oops:

Xavier_R said:
Completely general, if there was one tip you would give to people, be it taking the Primitivo, listening to Simon and Garfunkel while walking past San Vicente de la Barquera,
Hi Xavier, listen to Simon and Garfunkel but dont walk past San Vicente, if you can, stay at the albergure there on calle alta. Luis and Sofia who run it are real gems, there is usually a communal meal, someone came in and played the guitar when i was there. Sofia is a classical singer and was practising in the nearby church the night i stayed.

The Miraz hostel is also a must, 27 of us squeezed out on to the front patio when i was there and had Paella Escosse(the 2 Volunteers were from Scotland), it was a very friendly and welcoming.

Both hostels are donativo.

If you like golden beaches stay at the hostel in La Isla, it also has its own cooking facilties.

After Tapia, if you can, walk the coastal route, it is slightly longer, less asphalt, more beaches. Follow someone German this day their guide book recommends this route.

mike

I agree with the post above. Sofia and Luis, hospitaleros at San Vicente, are amazing. My day/night there was a highlight of the Camino del Norte. When I was there in 2009, there was a few euro's charge for a bed but also a box for donations towards the lunch, dinner, and breakfast there. Luis confided in me the next morning that very little had been collected. It was shameful really ...for if each of the approximate 25 people there had contributed a couple of euros or so it would have been great but alas no. It kind of left a sour taste in my mouth on the whole "donation" system as for many people it seems to mean "free". I'm rambling...sorry. But do try to stay there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sweet! Thanks for that kind of info, it's almost as valuable as tips regarding walking shoes.
My mother is from Comillas so I know that area well, but obviously have never stayed in the albergue of San Vicente, I'll be sure to stop by. Same for the other info on albergues, and the coastal route is something I will look into as I would much prefer a more scenic route even if it's a little longer. I will look for the German walkers!

Thanks again guys!!

Xavier

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back