• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food suggestions - what shouldn't we miss along the route

cj2003

wewalk.dk
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013 to Finisterra
Camino Portuguese (Monacal) from Lisbon 2016
I haven't been able to find a thread with suggestions for what to eat along the Portuguese route - so, any good suggestions?

We don't have any allergies and are practically eating anything....so we're open for ideas!

/Christian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think one of the first things people will rave about are the pastries -- pastel de nata being tops on most lists. Pretty sweet, so you have to have a sweet tooth to like them -- it's a custard in a light flaky crust. My other favorites are very simple -- caldo verde (the Portuguese version of caldo gallego), boiled potatoes (yes, potatoes -- if you live in the US or other places where we get industrial potatoes, you will be shocked at the taste of the humble potato in Portugal), and whole grilled fish, just salted and slapped on the grill. I know that for many people from the US, at least, the idea of being served a whole fish is not on the radar screen. You don't know what you're missing if you don't get whole grilled fish in Portugal. The only kind of "fish in pieces" that Portuguese people eat is bacalao, dried salt cod. While there are many good variations on what is typically a casserole type dish, it doesn't hold a candle to the fresh grilled fish, IMO. Almost always served with some of those delicious potatoes and a green vegetable or occasionally carrots. Waiters will help you learn how to get the bones out, and if you are a group and order a big fish for several, the wait staff frequently prepares the fish for eating at the table. It's a lot of fun to go to the restaurant, look at your choices of freshly caught fish laid out on ice, and choose your own. I've never been disappointed.

Bom Caminho, Laurie

Pastel de nata! Yummy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
  • pastei de nata
  • bacalhau (would be hard to avoid either way. codfish. wonder if there is cod-fish ice-cream? shows up everywhere and all the time)
  • vinho verde
  • more pastei de nata
  • café do leite (milk cafe')
  • seafood (grilled / steamed / sauteed / salad)
  • local veggies and fruits. there tomato actually tastes like tomato, and not just looks it
  • Port (wine fortified w/ stronger spirits - aka brandy)
  • more seafood
  • try local cheese too ...
:)
enjoy - and not to worry - one can find marvelous simple good food and good drink everywhere.
my caminho time in portugal was the only time ever that i left portugal sans extra weight. (because i seemed to have walked off all those extra pounds before it all turned into 'hip-gold'.) but on all other trip i returned with extra weight - pastei de nata is very hard to resist IMHO.

My only experience of food on the Portugués was eating pimientos de Padrón in Padrón. Disappointingly, none of the 12 or more that I ate were the hot ones. But I do recommend the (Michelin "bib gourmand") A Casa Dos Martínez, in the centre of town.

Doesn't look like I'll be losing much weight on this Camino. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You should only eat sardines of April to August. Outside this period they are no good, are frozen, or are from Morocco.
Eat codfish in every possible way (more than 365 different types of dishes, one for each day of the year). My favorite is "codfish barbecue with potatoes to the punch" (Bacalhau à Lagareiro).
Eat convent sweets, the majority of Portuguese are crazy about sugar. Most of the convent sweets are made with sugar, egg yolks and almonds.
Eat fresh fish (any fish).
In Tomar you should eat "Fatias de Tomar" (sweet).
In winter eats Portuguese Cozido.
In Coimbra in Briosa Pastelaria, proves of all sweets, if you can.
In Mealhada eat roast suckling pig Bairrada (Leitão à Bairrada).
In Porto you should eat "Tripas" (casings) or "Francesinhas".
In Ponte de Lima eat "Sarrabulho".
From January to March eat "Jaquinzinhos" (small fried mackerel) with tomato rice.

My only experience of food on the Portugués was eating pimientos de Padrón in Padrón. Disappointingly, none of the 12 or more that I ate were the hot ones. But I do recommend the (Michelin "bib gourmand") A Casa Dos Martínez, in the centre of town.
Padron peppers are not meant to be spicy, like a jalapeno would be. Just a lovely snack to enjoy on a terrace on a sunny afternoon to replenish salt in your body while pretending to be eating healthy since it's a vegie after all.

Padron peppers are not meant to be spicy, like a jalapeno would be. Just a lovely snack to enjoy on a terrace on a sunny afternoon to replenish salt in your body while pretending to be eating healthy since it's a vegie after all.
Pimentos de Padrón can be like "Russian roulette" sometimes there can be a very hot one in between the "normal" tasting portion.. Be aware !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you did not eat Portugese food, you haven't been in Portugal.:confused:
What did you eat..Mc Donalds ? Fastfood ? You missed the best part..
Portugal is wellknown for excellent food and wines for a cheap price.
So is the Galicean kitchen in Spain.

All great suggestions above! The fresh fish, salt cod and pastries in Portugal are wonderful. I'll add that once you cross into Spain, if you are in the mood for a bit of a splurge, probably the best deal I've seen at a Michelin starred restaurant can be found in Galicia. Restaurante Silabario (located on the ground floor of the Hotel Colon) offers their "El Esencial de Silabario" menu for only 29 euro.

http://restaurantesilabario.com/blog/cocina/el-esencial-de-silabario/

Unfortunately, they were closed the week when I started my camino in Tui. Their less expensive sister restaurant was open and we did enjoy a very nice lunch there.

Doesn't look like I'll be losing much weight on this Camino. ;)
For sure ! The other day I was in Portugal at pilgrimsalbergue casa da Fernanda during two weeks.
Too much food,wine,portwine, sweets.
You should only eat sardines of April to August. Outside this period they are no good, are frozen, or are from Morocco.
Eat codfish in every possible way (more than 365 different types of dishes, one for each day of the year). My favorite is "codfish barbecue with potatoes to the punch" (Bacalhau à Lagareiro).
Eat convent sweets, the majority of Portuguese are crazy about sugar. Most of the convent sweets are made with sugar, egg yolks and almonds.
Eat fresh fish (any fish).
In Tomar you should eat "Fatias de Tomar" (sweet).
In winter eats Portuguese Cozido.
In Coimbra in Briosa Pastelaria, proves of all sweets, if you can.
In Mealhada eat roast suckling pig Bairrada (Leitão à Bairrada).
In Porto you should eat "Tripas" (casings) or "Francesinhas".
In Ponte de Lima eat "Sarrabulho".
From January to March eat "Jaquinzinhos" (small fried mackerel) with tomato rice.
and grew fat !:p My goodness ! The Portugese people can eat :mad: as we experienced the other day. Warm lunch with wine..... Coffee with sweet cakes , supper with wine and sweets. I gained weight about 3 kgs in 14 days.:confused: Now losing weight again ,being back home ! :D But great food and wines in Portugal .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In addition to all the whole grilled fish, I would like to add sepia and small octopus, both of them frequently grilled on a spear. I've also had excellent lamb stews, but I guess that would depend on the time of year.

In addition to all the whole grilled fish, I would like to add sepia and small octopus, both of them frequently grilled on a spear. I've also had excellent lamb stews, but I guess that would depend on the time of year.

Probably you will meet a varied offer of cephalopods like octopus (experiment with rice or Lagareiro style), squid, cuttlefish both grilled.
I had not mentioned cephalopods because it is relatively easy to find them on the menu of restaurants.

Pork is the meat of choice in Portugal, lovely stews, sausages, roast piglet (Leitoes in Portuguese and Mealhada is the place to try it, don't look just eat!), also pies. Keep an eye out for the weekly markets, great chance to try the cheeses, sausages, to admire the baseball bats no its actually salt cod, and often someone will have domething bubbling in a pot.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for all your great responses so far! Looks like we are going on a gourmet-camino in Portugal!

On the coast of Portugal, freshly caught and grilled scallops in the shell. Fishermen would sell them to me. Also in Portugal, the white port wine. In Spain, freshly picked grapes, fruits and collard greens (which they called cabbage). In Spain, grilled octopus and oysters. And more wine :).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
sheep and goat cheese! and a mixed salad, of course ;)

Portugal has an amazing variety of cheeses from the pungent runny stuff to the cured wheels. Sheep, goat, and cow are frequently mixed and the results are fabulous. Even the big box grocery stores like Continente offer an amazing array of choices. And the prices are much lower than Spain, and laughably lower than the US.

Cheese also has a function that is not only enjoyable - summer temperatures are high and we sweat. The liquid make up with water, but the salts not. And the salt is in the cheese!
how suitable ;):D

Portugal has an amazing variety of cheeses from the pungent runny stuff to the cured wheels. Sheep, goat, and cow are frequently mixed and the results are fabulous. Even the big box grocery stores like Continente offer an amazing array of choices. And the prices are much lower than Spain, and laughably lower than the US.

Try to eat the "Queijo da Serra de Estrela" certified, made with unpasteurized sheep's milk, exclusively in the Serra da Estrela and its fermentation is used the thistle (??). Does not contain chemical ferments.

2014 TOP 16 (Cheese "SERRA DA ESTRELA", São Gião - 3.º)

79 - Soft & Semi-soft (Semi-hard) Sheep's Milk Cheeses
http://www.worldchampioncheese.org/2014-top-16/

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-26_15-56-48.png
    upload_2016-1-26_15-56-48.png
    270.4 KB · Views: 5
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need to ask, as a Quebecquer, what is this French fry something on it mix in picture 3?

THAT particular beastie has a fried egg hiding beneath the thick layer of cheese. What really got me was the way slender Portuguese girls wolf these things down without ending up looking like an over fed python!

Among my favorites in Portugal were the mussels in wine sauce, sometimes with pasta.

Hello Christian,

The food at Portugal is amazing and the price is even better. Don't miss all the sea side restaurants along the beach as you leave Porto. Some cafes offer complimentary pastry when you order a cup of coffee (you pay what you eat). Many grocery stores has a deli section that offer ready to go cooked items, a great way to try all the local specialities. Also must try after you enter Spain at Valencia are: pulpo (boiled octopus), and Padron pimientos (small green peppers).

I certainly learn the Portuguese culture through their food (there are 365 ways to cook salted cod they said).

Bom Caminho!
Dennis
IMG_2599.JPG food-porto.jpg IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2555.JPG

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will just add something that many people going to Portugal for the first time are surprised to learn.

When you go to a restaurant, the waiters will typically put one or several plates of little things to nibble on your table. These are NOT free, you will be charged for them. Now the prices aren't astronomical, but if you eat little bits of three or four different plates, the charge may surprise you, since obviously you will be charged for every plate you eat from.

Some people on the forum describe this as being ripped off or being duped, but that's not what's going on. This is the way every single restaurant in Portugal operates. There is no pressure for you to eat any of it, and you can wave it away when the waiter brings it or just leave it untouched on the table if you don't want it.

If you're really hungry, though, it might be a good substitute for a first course, or a way to sample what may be some of the place's specialties. Oftentimes, though, these plates are nothing too inspired, just some olives, maybe packaged sardine pate. Other times you'll get really good cheese, some special salami/chorizo, or (one of my favorites) octopus salad.

In Barcelos on the main square, next to a hotel is a grill type place that you can eat freshly grilled Sardinhas and other delights, very busy during the day, get busy later at night. The wine menu is very simple 2 whites or a 2 reds, I had a bottle of chilled Alverinho. Sorry I can't be more specific with address details.

Aside from the sea creatures...
My most favorite Portuguese meal is roast kid, it's amazing but not always easy to find.
Lampreys, in season, are remarkably sweet and lovely if you get them really fresh and at the right time of year.
Portuguese also do amazing cocido: a huge steaming platter of garbanzos, greens, pig parts, potatoes, and the broth it's stewed in. Awesome pilgrim fuel.
And then there are those simple Menus del Dia at the restaurants along the Coastal Route -- a fish caught this morning right off that rock there, spinach from the garden out back, maybe some fried codfish balls (superb!) and fresh crusty bread, with vinho verde... 6 or 7 Euro.
If you see monkfish on offer, order that. It's amazing!
The olives in Portugal are amazing. Every single one of them.
The wine... oh my. Unique. Delicious. Always a great "nose," even when it's only months old. Do not limit yourself to the Dueros or Verdhe wines.
(I owe all my Portuguese dining experience to my dear friend and fellow pilg Filipe Branco Madeira, himself a fine Portuguese chef. It pays to walk the Portuguese with a Portuguese, they know what to order where, and when!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh dear, I see it's time to start putting my own dictionary of Portuguese to French or English sea creatures. I was finally starting to get the names right is Spanish. o_O

OK, that's it. I am publicly committing here to creating a gastronomic Castellan/Galician/Basque to English dictionary of culinary delights!

I will post a first draft in the days to come on a new thread and will then take your suggestions for additional entries.

Oh boy, will that get me salivating! So much for my new years resolution!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Those all look yummy, but I think the writer forgot about seafood cataplana (hope this picture of the cataplana served at my go-to Adega de Sao Roque comes up when you click on the link)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html

And if I were going to choose a pastry from Sintra, it would be the travesseira, not the queijada, but hey.

http://www.welovelisbon.net/food-and-drink/pastelaria-piriquita

Those all look yummy, but I think the writer forgot about seafood cataplana (hope this picture of the cataplana served at my go-to Adega de Sao Roque comes up when you click on the link)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...-Lisbon_Lisbon_District_Central_Portugal.html

And if I were going to choose a pastry from Sintra, it would be the travesseira, not the queijada, but hey.

Another reason to swap the camino Francès for the caminho do Mar Laurie !
Finding out now where I can leave my car and caravan for the time we will walk to Fátima. The campings around Cascais and Lisbon are pretty expensive.
Probably nearby where Diogo lives is a cheaper one in Vila Franca de Xira.
We could take the commuter train to Lisbon and could get from there to Estorìl to start walking .ending in Fátima we could take the bus to Santarèm, stay a night at the Santarèm hostal -to play Mario's guitars :) and from there the commuter train back to Vila Franca to pick up our belongings on wheels. Is that an idea ? we could stay at the places you mentioned above and try the food.
Bom caminho

I recommend both, but the typical cake of Sintra is the queijada.
The travesseiro is specialty of Piriquita.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aurelio, I just learned on another thread that as of March 2015, it is against the law for a restaurant to bring you a couvert (those little plates of food I described above) unless you ask for them. I was there last May and every restaurant I ate in continued as before. Is the practice now being eliminated?

According to the article, anyone who gets these plates of food without asking for them has no obligation to pay for them, whether they are consumed or not.

[FONT=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]http://economico.sapo.pt/noticias/r...obrar-couvert-que-nao-seja-pedido_229675.html [/FONT]

Aurelio, I just learned on another thread that as of March 2015, it is against the law for a restaurant to bring you a couvert (those little plates of food I described above) unless you ask for them. I was there last May and every restaurant I ate in continued as before. Is the practice now being eliminated?

According to the article, anyone who gets these plates of food without asking for them has no obligation to pay for them, whether they are consumed or not.

[FONT=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]http://economico.sapo.pt/noticias/r...obrar-couvert-que-nao-seja-pedido_229675.html [/FONT]

Hi Laurie
The Ministry of Economy, is the organism which legislates on the matter, has no doubt that what is consumed has to be paid even if you have not been asked.
There are only two situations in which entries can not be charged: when the prices of products are not on the menu, or when the client does not consume them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Laurie
The Ministry of Economy, is the organism which legislates on the matter, has no doubt that what is consumed has to be paid even if you have not been asked.
There are only two situations in which entries can not be charged: when the prices of products are not on the menu, or when the client does not consume them.

Thanks, Aurelio, so what is this article talking about when it refers to fines from 300-1800 euros? I'm assuming from what you say that the Asociaciao Portuguesa de Direiro do Consumo, which issued this decree, is not the organism with legal authority over the issue?

Thanks, Aurelio, so what is this article talking about when it refers to fines from 300-1800 euros? I'm assuming from what you say that the Asociaciao Portuguesa de Direiro do Consumo, which issued this decree, is not the organism with legal authority over the issue?

Hi LAurie

There is in fact an interpretation of the "Associação Portugues do Direito do Consumidor", which states that the entries, if placed on the table without being requested, can be consumed without you pay. But for me the law of the Ministry of Economy does not seem so linear.
Fines exist and are from 300-1800 euros.
You can check the Official Journal (Diário da República), Decree Law No. 10/2015 of 16 January:
http://www.oern.pt/documentos/legislacao/d_dl_dr/DL10_2015.pdf
If you want to complain to take a picture of the menu and of the food and asks the Complaints Book, which is mandatory. You can always ask the help of the police if the owner of the restaurant if he do not want to give the book.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back