• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food?

Jerome74

A question to those who have already done such a pilgrimage:

What do you handle the food thing? Is it like buying the stuff you want to eat for breakfast and during the next day on the eve? Or are there often shops along the way where you can spontaneously buy things to eat? I imagine that dinner will often be in a restaurant or do the albergues offer dinners? Because most people don't have cooking tools and the like I guess ... Though one could buy a few ingredients and then cook something if there's an infrastructure to do so.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Jerome

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I buy whatever I'm gonna have for breakfast the eve before, u won't find 2 many places open if u leave the albergue bet 6-7 am. Then u can stop somewhere bet 8-10 am on ur Camino, there should be bares opened during those hours. U don't want to stop for too long, though, and loose the momentum of ur walking rythm.

I also like to take with me small plastic bottles of water on the road, 2 max, plus fruit, + a sandwich, for a snack. Always a health bar.

Lunch: stop somewhere along the way, restaurant in a town, city, or village, or, if none of those, a place where they can make sandwiches for u or u buy what's needed and make it urself. U may want to stay and rest, too, at this time, take a siesta under a tree for ex. It will be too hot especially in the summertime to keep on walking, and it will be daylight until about 10 pm.

Dinner, same as lunch, + u can buy food and cook it urself or with other peregrinos. There r also albergues where if u want u can pay for a dinner cooked by the hospitalera(o). I go for this one a lot of times. The camaraderie with other pilgrims before/during/after supper can be really nice, same as when all cooking together. Most albergues have cooking utensils for pilgrims that want to cook.

Best, xm 8)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd try to have my main meal for lunch, around 2pm, after finishing the day's walking. Menu del Dia is quite cheap and filling. Then, once the local shops opened in the afternoon would buy some rolls and yoghurt for breakfast the next day, and maybe cheese, salami or tinned fish, and fresh fruit for dinner in the albergue.

I always carried dried fruit and nuts, some fresh fruit, soft rolls or croissants etc in my backpack in case there was no bar or shop where I finally stopped, or if I got hungry on the way.

Hmm... I vary. Sometimes I'll lug some magdalena cakes about for nibbling in the morning, but on the whole I'll normally just have a bit of bread. Then, once I've arrived at my destination, I'll have some tapas or a bocadillo, although again, it's not a hard and fast rule as there were moments when I stopped about 10k before I got to where I was going and had some grub there.

Evenings are the usual Pilgrim menus. Quality.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yummy in my tummy

I'm actually really looking forward to the food, or rather the fact that there will not be strict hours for meals, and the food will be different. I'm a fanatical cook, but I guess I won't be exercising that much, unless occasionally at an albergue :) But chorizo! And ham! And fruit! And seafood! Yay!

A suggestion is to take a small tupperware or similar plastic container. Great for keeping bits of food together and fresh, bread unsquished, and fruit unbruised. In North America they sell these that are cheap and 'disposable' ie. Gladware and very lightweight.

...ally looking forward to the food...different...

Klarita, sampling the diff cuisines in the "autonomias" where u'll be walking is a centuries old tradition of the Caminos. Ur in for a big (gastronomia) treat :!: Bon apettite :lol: Best, xm 8)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm actually really looking forward to the food

As you get to Galicia STOP somewhere (Melida or Lavacolla) for "pulpo à la feira". I wake up at night thinking about this meal I had at the restaurant at the hotel Routa Jacobea in Lavacolla, near Santiago, the shrimps at a restaurant on the harbor at Fisterra, the full glasses of red Cinzano all around .... :lol:

For wines, I am afraid the best region is Rioja and Navarra. As you get west they don't get better, I'm sorry to say.

Who says you have to suffer to walk to Santiago... :wink:

My advice... No matter where you are, no matter how much you want a steak... For your own wellbeing, don't do it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No steak :( ... but lamb + seafood + lentil soup + bread with olive oil and tomatoes + churros + tons of garlic + cheesecake + fruit + salads + caldo gallego + judias + tapas + feijoas + ... :D Best, xm

Mmm, mouthwatering

I'm not that mad about steak, so I won't be missing that much. I am, however, really keen on bread and cheese and veggies and olives... and then the seafood. Yes indeed, it will be a fantasy for my palate! :p And wine, oh my! Despite the fact that I am from the home of beer (Czech), I do fancy a nice red wine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back