• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FOOD

wanderfrau

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018 Camino Frances
May 2019 Camino Portugués
Being 5’9 and weighing 132 lbs I am terrified of losing weight walking the entire CF. Love food and like to eat. Will probably have to be snacking constantly. I made a note about the hamburgers in Cacabelos. Any more suggestions?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would suggest cheese. If you buy aged cheese, you can keep it for a few days without refrigeration. I have done so as the main ingredient of my camino lunches for three caminos. There is some wonderful cheese in Spain. I prefer the sheep cheese. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes Cheese and some salami type sausage. I am not do much into sweets.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight. Some people do, some people don't. If you eat enough, you won't lose weight. At your weight and height, you need to consume around 1800 calories/day as a base. Then, to counterbalance the walking, if you burn 250-400 calories per hour and walk 5-6 hours per day, that is another 1500-2400 calories. Total need: 3000-4200 calories depending on the day. It's actually not that hard to consume 3000 calories per day, especially if you include a couple cafe con leches, a couple glasses of fresh squeezed OJ or sports drinks, and then some beer or wine to end the day - that adds up to about 500 calories without even eating anything - just beverages. Add breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, and dinner and you can probably consume the remaining 2500 calories without even trying. On days when you need more calories due to longer and/or more strenuous walking, you can definitely make up the difference with snacks.

For snacks - salami, cheese, nuts, fruit (dried or fresh) are all good with plenty of nutrition in them.

That’s a lot of calories. I am counting on the beer and wine. Thanks for the insight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most places you can get a pilgrim menu for supper that is three courses (starter - typically salad, pasta or something else; main course - typically meat and potatoes and maybe veg; and dessert) plus wine or beer. You can also get a similar menu for lunch, which for Spanish people is often the main meal of the day. Eat both and I don't think you will lose weight.

I sometimes cry giant tears of sorrow for the pilgrims who walk the Camino carrying and cooking their own food without eating like the locals. Then I realize that leaves more for the rest of us and I cheer up.

The endless varieties of pintxos, aka tapas, which have the virtue that you just point at what looks good without having to know its name... The marvels of a menú of the non-pilgrim kind... Even a simple slice of tortilla in the humblest bar... We would have to make a pilgrimage to Spain for the food even if there were no Camino.

Yes, we’ve often eaten well in albergues but we’ve also eaten badly. Which is a crime given the high standard of cooking in Spain generally.

For inspiration check out my new favorite book on the subject:

Grape, Olive, Pig: Deep Travels Through Spain's Food Culture by Matt Goulding
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29242437

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tincatinker, I saw that comment about the hamburger in Cacabelos and all I could think of was the very fine restaurant at Moncloa de San Lazaro. They have wood fired grilles with lamb and beef, maybe they have started grilling mince?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Being 5’9 and weighing 132 lbs I am terrified of losing weight walking the entire CF. Love food and like to eat. Will probably have to be snacking constantly. I made a note about the hamburgers in Cacabelos. Any more suggestions?

Cafe con Leche with lots of sugar and pastries for breakfast
Bocadillos, dried fruit and nuts for snacks
Olives, cheese, chorizo also for snacks

Pilgrims menus with lots of Patatas fritas (chips ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh Don, I hope not.....
You and me both, I hate seeing some of the fine dining options denigrated, however the last time I was at Moncloa, I thought they'd dropped a star.
Have your read the thread about the albergue at Cacabelos?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would eat as much as I wished, plus a whole block of chocolate and a can of Coke every afternoon which I NEVER eat or drink at home. Luckily my weight is always constant but after my first Camino I lost 4kg which soon recovered to my normal weight back home. I never bothered about losing or gaining weight after subsequent Caminos

Bottom line, based upon the many pieces of good advice listed above, is that there is plenty of good food along the Camino. Stop frequently and enjoy it... and TRAIN so that you can carry some of the many delights in your pack!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.