• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot care during training

Andrea Mayfield

it's about the journey.....
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Portugues - Porto to Santiago (June 2018)
I have been walking increased distances for a couple weeks and have plans to add hills and increasing weight in my pack to prepare for my May 27 Camino. I need guidance on socks and foot lubrication during training. I walk in thin coolmax socks ordinarily. I'm wondering how to incorporate "proven blister prevention" . I'm stuck between 'start now' and 'wait until my feet tell me they need help'. Thanks for your thoughts....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm doing about 15 KM/day right now (over the last 7 days) with about 90% pack weight, I am only doing foot lubrication every 3 days afterwards. I am using Underarmour HeatGear socks (similar to coolmax). Biggest thing is probably if your footwear is broken in as I am walking in very well broken in shoes.

Start now. Prevention is much better than responding to problems. I use Vaseline in the morning and Vicks at night. I used Vaseline both morning and night while on the Camino. I wear injinji liners and either darn tough or icebreaker mid weight hikers. I wear boots because I need the ankle support: Merrill Moabs on the Camino and now Asolo. The last half of the Camino I preventative taped my toes as well. Every couple of hours I changed out the liners and hung the ones I took off on my pack. Whenever I stopped for coffee I removed my boots and let the feet rest. No blisters SJPP to Santiago.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In addition to vaseline, i recommend using merino wool socks. I usually use a midweight or lightweight mini crew socks depending on the temperature. I currently use point6 (formerly smartwool) midweight mini crew socks.
Nothing prevents blisters like hardened foot. So keep up with your training. I trained 6 months before my CF, not a single blister, I only trained few weeks before my Norte and got a blister on my heel during the first week. Immediately applied a second skin and i was good to go.

My method is coolmax liner socks with either smartwool or Bridgedale trecker socks over those. I rub "Gloves in a Bottle" on my feet before I put on my socks and let it dry for a minute or two. this leaves your feet feeling silky and slippy so it cut down friction which is what will give you blisters. I find Vaseline too sticky and it messes up the liners. Also remember if you are double socking leave room in you boots for your feet to expand, 1/2 to one size larger. A good rule of thumb is to push your foot forward in the boot until your big toe just touches the front of the boot, you should then be able to fit two fingers between your heel and the back of the boot. I walked nearly 1000km in 2012 and got no blisters with this method.

It's interesting for me to learn from you as I often suffer from blisters.
I am supprised that foot lubrification prevents blisters because does it not soften the foot whereas it's usually hardened feet that prevents blisters ?

cher99840 : when you say "Every couple of hours I changed out the liners" do you mean you changed your socks every couple of hours ? or are the liners something else ?

wayfarer : what is "Gloves in a Bottle" ?

Many thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nothing prevents blisters like hardened foot.
So that is exactly my question: hard or soft feet? I thought hard - calluses already formed. There are products to help harden feet (Tano) or lemon juice will also do the job. But then there are those who swear by baby-soft feet. I'm confused.

Start now. Prevention is much better than responding to problems. I use Vaseline in the morning and Vicks at night. I used Vaseline both morning and night while on the Camino. I wear injinji liners and either darn tough or icebreaker mid weight hikers. I wear boots because I need the ankle support: Merrill Moabs on the Camino and now Asolo. The last half of the Camino I preventative taped my toes as well. Every couple of hours I changed out the liners and hung the ones I took off on my pack. Whenever I stopped for coffee I removed my boots and let the feet rest. No blisters SJPP to Santiago.
What kind of preventative tape do you use?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@jostony, I'm not sure what it was as I bought it in Spain at a farmacia after describing what I was looking for. It came in both white and flesh toned. I have since replaced it in the US with a product called "hospital tape". Hopefully another tape user can give you a clearer answer.

@Barbara06, I wore 2 layers, liners and sox. Normally I only changed the inner layer next to my feet ( after slavering on more Vaseline) during the day. I didn't change the outer layer unless it had become damp.

@jostony, I'm not sure what it was as I bought it in Spain at a farmacia after describing what I was looking for. It came in both white and flesh toned. I have since replaced it in the US with a product called "hospital tape". Hopefully another tape user can give you a clearer answer.
Thanks I will go hunting for it

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@wayfarer said "Vaseline is sticky and it messes up the liners". That is absolutely true and many people like other products better. I use Vaseline because that was what I heard first, it worked, and I am hesitant to deviate from what works for me. As for sticky liners, I personally don't care because they are just for hiking and perhaps their stickiness will prolong the "life" of the applied Vaseline. If perpetually sticky liners are repulsive to you, there are several other products out there.

Off topic: how does one quote just a piece of a prior posting without quoting the whole thing and deleting the rest of it?

Off topic: how does one quote just a piece of a prior posting without quoting the whole thing and deleting the rest of it?

Highlight the part you want to quote and you'll see a popup that offers the option to quote it. Then click Insert Quotes below the message composition area to create the quote in your message.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So that is exactly my question: hard or soft feet? I thought hard - calluses already formed. There are products to help harden feet (Tano) or lemon juice will also do the job. But then there are those who swear by baby-soft feet. I'm confused.
Calluses are our body's natural defence around those pressure points. Of course if you let the calluses get too thick it can cause additional pressure. and have to shave them off. Normally, I let my feet get hardened for three months without any pedicure. I would not want to artificially accelerate that 'hardening' process.
The KEY is to minimize friction. You want to prevent your skin from slipping, sliding, and rubbing back and forth inside your shoe.
In addition to hardening, small amount of vaseline, fast wicking socks to reduce moisture, good fitting shoes that are broken in and taping those potential hot spots all would help. I have seen many Europeans tape the entire heel area. They were not second skin, much thinner. Don't know what they are called.

I wear thin liner socks as my only footwear. I do not lubricate. In my view, heat and moisture are the main causes of blisters. If the weather is hot, I will stop every two hours, take my shoes (trail runners) and socks off for five or ten minutes so my feet can cool off and dry. If I feel any hot spot while walking, i.e. the slightest pain on my foot, I will stop immediately and do preventative taping. We carry two types of tape. The two inch wide Ommnifix, stretchy, breathable and available in pharmacies in Europe or online here. This is for areas such as the ball of my foot - I wrap tape entirely around foot, or back of heel. The other tape we carry is 3/4 inch wide cotton? stretchy breathable tape available in drugstores in US. It is good for wrapping toes. Do not get waterproof tape, or paper tape, no tape that appears to have "hard" edges. It can eventually cut into your skin.

Nancy Reynolds, who had done multiple Caminos, removes her shoes and socks hourly - never has blisters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks all. My shoes (Asics GT1000) are 1 size larger than usual with Sofsole inserts. They are very comfortable with wide toe box. I do have calluses -- because I go barefoot most of the time (since I was a kid). I will find a second set of socks, lubrication and begin prevention treatment now. I have also heard that Body Glide is a good one. I'll also explore a second skin product and tape.

Your recommendations are soooo helpful!
Buen Camino!

I have been walking increased distances for a couple weeks and have plans to add hills and increasing weight in my pack to prepare for my May 27 Camino. I need guidance on socks and foot lubrication during training. I walk in thin coolmax socks ordinarily. I'm wondering how to incorporate "proven blister prevention" . I'm stuck between 'start now' and 'wait until my feet tell me they need help'. Thanks for your thoughts....
Definitely buy Nok and Hiker's Wool (http://www.hikerswool.co.nz/). I think Hikers Wool has a source in America, but if you buy enough they ship for free from NZ at less per package. I love this stuff and I buy enough to share with people who are having feet problems.

Thanks Nancy -- I'll look into both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Calluses are our body's natural defence around those pressure points. Of course if you let the calluses get too thick it can cause additional pressure. and have to shave them off. Normally, I let my feet get hardened for three months without any pedicure. I would not want to artificially accelerate that 'hardening' process.
The KEY is to minimize friction. You want to prevent your skin from slipping, sliding, and rubbing back and forth inside your shoe.
In addition to hardening, small amount of vaseline, fast wicking socks to reduce moisture, good fitting shoes that are broken in and taping those potential hot spots all would help. I have seen many Europeans tape the entire heel area. They were not second skin, much thinner. Don't know what they are called.

This is why even people who hike a LOT can get crazy amounts of blisters from something like switching to new footwear. Your body and boots/shoes have to mold to each other and that takes a bit of time and work.

Many people use vaseline with great success. It s too messy for me. I like Blue Steel Sports Anti-chafe cream which is like a liquid powder. It contains dimethacone which purportedly incorporates into the epithelium and prevents friction against the dermis thus disrupting the pathophysiology of blister formation. I previously used BodyGlide but they changed the formula and eliminated the dimethacone. There is a great book, "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof, which devotes Chapter 19 to 'Preventing Blisters' which has a good discussion of things you can do.

My feet tend to sweat so keeping my feet dry was my most effective blister preventative.
I used sock liners and socks. I didn't use vaseline. I used sanitary pads on the boot liners to help keep my feet dry.
Really.
I think the best blister preventative is finding the right pair of boots, finding a good combination of socks, and gently training, paying careful attention to boot lacing (you want to find the sweet spot between your feet sliding around too much and your feet not having a bit of flexibility) and to the hot spots that may develop.
Be gentle. Just like auto manufacturers recommend you take it easy the first XX miles on a new car, take it easy with your feet. You can't replace those tires.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many people use vaseline with great success. It s too messy for me. I like Blue Steel Sports Anti-chafe cream which is like a liquid powder. It contains dimethacone which purportedly incorporates into the epithelium and prevents friction against the dermis thus disrupting the pathophysiology of blister formation. I previously used BodyGlide but they changed the formula and eliminated the dimethacone. There is a great book, "Fixing Your Feet" by John Vonhof, which devotes Chapter 19 to 'Preventing Blisters' which has a good discussion of things you can do.
Good to know -- I'll put dimethacone on my "try it" list while I train. Thanks for the book reference too.

My feet tend to sweat so keeping my feet dry was my most effective blister preventative.
I used sock liners and socks. I didn't use vaseline. I used sanitary pads on the boot liners to help keep my feet dry.
Really.
I think the best blister preventative is finding the right pair of boots, finding a good combination of socks, and gently training, paying careful attention to boot lacing (you want to find the sweet spot between your feet sliding around too much and your feet not having a bit of flexibility) and to the hot spots that may develop.
Be gentle. Just like auto manufacturers recommend you take it easy the first XX miles on a new car, take it easy with your feet. You can't replace those tires.
Buen Camino.
Thanks for the advice -- I have developed a training schedule based on 3 or 4 sources. They all focus on starting slow. Still working on the sweet spot. It changes from hour to hour :) -- but paying attention should pay off.

Do you mind me asking why you use the Vicks on your feet?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think anyone has provided a response to this. Here is a list of products that might be useful:
  • zinc oxide strapping tape - comes in a variety of widths in tan or white. Several manufacturers. A strong, fabric backed tape either flexible or rigid. Normally waterproof but permeable to both air and water vapour. I normally carry a roll of 25mm or 37mm wide tape for strapping my heels. I have used it in the past for taping my toes, but have switched to Micropore or Fixomull Stretch most of the time.
  • Micropore(tm) - a paper based surgical tape (there are similar products from other manufacturers). It comes in a variety of widths, is air permeable. I use the 25mm width for taping toes before big walks, including the Camino.
  • Fixomull Stretch(tm) - a porous, non-woven tape that is really great at conforming to complex shapes, like the ball and sides of the feet. I also use it to cover Compeed patches to enhance their 'stickability' and reduce the chance of the Compeed adhesive getting into socks! That sometimes works, but Compeed adhesives seems to have a knack of getting into everything!
  • Moleskin - the classic soft cotton flannel tape with a self adhesive backing. Used to prevent chafing. I buy this in small sheets and then cut the shape that I need, but it can be bought in rolls as well. I use this less often than the other products that I have listed.

I don't think anyone has provided a response to this. Here is a list of products that might be useful:
  • zinc oxide strapping tape - comes in a variety of widths in tan or white. Several manufacturers. A strong, fabric backed tape either flexible or rigid. Normally waterproof but permeable to both air and water vapour. I normally carry a roll of 25mm or 37mm wide tape for strapping my heels. I have used it in the past for taping my toes, but have switched to Micropore or Fixomull Stretch most of the time.
  • Micropore(tm) - a paper based surgical tape (there are similar products from other manufacturers). It comes in a variety of widths, is air permeable. I use the 25mm width for taping toes before big walks, including the Camino.
  • Fixomull Stretch(tm) - a porous, non-woven tape that is really great at conforming to complex shapes, like the ball and sides of the feet. I also use it to cover Compeed patches to enhance their 'stickability' and reduce the chance of the Compeed adhesive getting into socks! That sometimes works, but Compeed adhesives seems to have a knack of getting into everything!
  • Moleskin - the classic soft cotton flannel tape with a self adhesive backing. Used to prevent chafing. I buy this in small sheets and then cut the shape that I need, but it can be bought in rolls as well. I use this less often than the other products that I have listed.
Thanks for helpful information. Can you please advise me whether:
  • Are all these tapes applied straight onto the skin?
  • Do you apply this tape as preventative before walking or only once you detect a heat or tender spot developing?
  • If you get a tender spot developing under the foot do you recommend compeed patch (with or without tape)?
  • A lot of commentary I have read on Forum in last few months suggests that you should take your boots off mid walk to either cool down in stream, just air the feet and also massage them - which works best in your expereince? My concern is that once I stop walking and take boots off will I want to put them back on start walking?
Any advice gratefully received, as always. Thanks

Thanks for helpful information. Can you please advise me whether:
  • Do you apply this tape as preventative before walking or only once you detect a heat or tender spot developing?
  • If you get a tender spot developing under the foot do you recommend compeed patch (with or without tape)?
  • A lot of commentary I have read on Forum in last few months suggests that you should take your boots off mid walk to either cool down in stream, just air the feet and also massage them - which works best in your expereince? My concern is that once I stop walking and take boots off will I want to put them back on start walking?
Any advice gratefully received, as always. Thanks
Some people might get a reaction to zinc oxide based adhesives (strapping tape and moleskin). In that case, some further preparation is required. I have never had a problem, and still have a roll of pre-taping underwrap I bought in case I did get a reaction. You can find advice on taping issues online, eg here. There are many similar sites.
Both. For shorter walks (up to about 15km) I don't do much preparation. Beyond that I will tape my large and adjacent toes, and small toes. For long walks (30km plus) I will strap my heels as well. This worked well for me on my recent pilgrimages, but is not perfect, and I still sometime get blisters.
If I have Fixomull or moleskin, I prefer that to Compeed.
I don't regularly remove my boots, and I have never cooled them down in a stream! When I have taken my boots off, I haven't had too much problem getting them back on, but I really don't have a view that one of these various approaches is better than the others.

Some people might get a reaction to zinc oxide based adhesives (strapping tape and moleskin). In that case, some further preparation is required. I have never had a problem, and still have a roll of pre-taping underwrap I bought in case I did get a reaction. You can find advice on taping issues online, eg here. There are many similar sites.
Both. For shorter walks (up to about 15km) I don't do much preparation. Beyond that I will tape my large and adjacent toes, and small toes. For long walks (30km plus) I will strap my heels as well. This worked well for me on my recent pilgrimages, but is not perfect, and I still sometime get blisters.
If I have Fixomull or moleskin, I prefer that to Compeed.
I don't regularly remove my boots, and I have never cooled them down in a stream! When I have taken my boots off, I haven't had too much problem getting them back on, but I really don't have a view that one of these various approaches is better than the others.
Many thanks for responses

Omnifex is non-woven elastic tape and Dermomedfix is non-woven dressing strip, both available in Spanish farmacias. Fungusol foot powder, also from farmacias, helps to care for your feet. (Be sure to ask for 'polvo' as it also comes as cream.) I powder mine at night, Terry in the morning and on the Camino we shower late afternoon or at night, never morning, so our feet are not soft/damp when we set off.
We wear liner socks, mid weight middle socks and cushion sole outer socks. The middle pair take the friction and we haven't had blisters yet. Practising some days now with our actual Camino socks and boots so as to accustom our feet to the pair we will be wearing, although we still wear our old kit for road walking at present.

Omnifex is non-woven elastic tape and Dermomedfix is non-woven dressing strip, both available in Spanish farmacias. Fungusol foot powder, also from farmacias, helps to care for your feet. (Be sure to ask for 'polvo' as it also comes as cream.) I powder mine at night, Terry in the morning and on the Camino we shower late afternoon or at night, never morning, so our feet are not soft/damp when we set off.
We wear liner socks, mid weight middle socks and cushion sole outer socks. The middle pair take the friction and we haven't had blisters yet. Practising some days now with our actual Camino socks and boots so as to accustom our feet to the pair we will be wearing, although we still wear our old kit for road walking at present.
If I have read correctly you wear 3 pairs of socks? Before I am swayed to follow your lead I can see how that would give plenty of cushioning and help with blisters but how hot do your feet get? One of my concerns as I countdown to my Camino is how hot my feet will feel in practice with just a liner and outer sock in May/June.

If I have read correctly you wear 3 pairs of socks? Before I am swayed to follow your lead I can see how that would give plenty of cushioning and help with blisters but how hot do your feet get? One of my concerns as I countdown to my Camino is how hot my feet will feel in practice with just a liner and outer sock in May/June.
We have walked in May and have found this combination OK. I have carried a spare pair of older liner socks and worn them as the middle pair when it was hot. (IE 2 pairs of the 'inner and hot' liners and the cushion-soles leaving out the mohair middle pair.) I plan to do this for this year as we will be walking a little later than before. So yes 3 pairs have worked for us over several Caminos.
Specifically Rohan inner and hot socks -ladies or mens as they are unisex; Corrymoor Sportsman and Companion/Woodlander depending on whether you like long or shorter socks. The outer socks wick the moisture away from the liners which we wash daily. The outer 2 pairs are mohair and don't need washing very often.
Note we bought our boots wearing the 3 sock combination of liner and 2 mohair.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have walked in May and have found this combination OK. I have carried a spare pair of older liner socks and worn them as the middle pair when it was hot. (IE 2 pairs of the 'inner and hot' liners and the cushion-soles leaving out the mohair middle pair.) I plan to do this for this year as we will be walking a little later than before. So yes 3 pairs have worked for us over several Caminos.
Specifically Rohan inner and hot socks -ladies or mens as they are unisex; Corrymoor Sportsman and Companion/Woodlander depending on whether you like long or shorter socks. The outer socks wick the moisture away from the liners which we wash daily. The outer 2 pairs are mohair and don't need washing very often.
Note we bought our boots wearing the 3 sock combination of liner and 2 mohair.
Thanks for that. Any reason you say "specifically" Rohan inner & hot socks? I have Bridgedale coolmax inner and outer socks. Will these do the same job?

Thanks for that. Any reason you say "specifically" Rohan inner & hot socks? I have Bridgedale coolmax inner and outer socks. Will these do the same job?
I don't know about other makes which is why I was specific about the socks we use. I don't see any reason why other types of sock should not work just as well. The mohair are different weights - one plain knit the other the cushion sole - but maybe Bridgedale are too.
It is probably best to experiment and find what suits best for your own feet. You could always add a second pair of the Bridgedale coolmax liners for your middle layer, like me layering the 2 pairs of Rohan liners, with your Bridgedale outers. :)

I don't know about other makes which is why I was specific about the socks we use. I don't see any reason why other types of sock should not work just as well. The mohair are different weights - one plain knit the other the cushion sole - but maybe Bridgedale are too.
It is probably best to experiment and find what suits best for your own feet. You could always add a second pair of the Bridgedale coolmax liners for your middle layer, like me layering the 2 pairs of Rohan liners, with your Bridgedale outers. :)
Thanks. Yes I will try second pair of coolmax liners to see how that feels.

May be its just me. Why would anyone want to wear two layers of socks in the summer and overheat the feet which you are trying to avoid in the first place. Liners may add some value in the winter. Liner socks were popular before merino wool socks came along. Merino regulates the temperature exceptionally well and keeps your feet dry. I would try all other blister prevention strategy first (hardening, wicking socks, taping hot spots etc.) before moving to layering socks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You totally read my mind!! You may have noticed that on my packing list I noted "some type of tape" Right on time Doug. Thanks so much.

Liner socks help to keep the blister causing friction between the two pairs of socks and not between the skin and the one pair of socks. Buen Camino! SY
SY,
Back in the day, people had to wear liners because wool socks were so itchy and needed something to make your feet comfy.
It is common to combine a thin sock liner on the inside and synthetic quick drying socks on the outside and achieve a desired sock thickness effect, depending on the season.

Modern socks make this layering redundant, imho. Take a look at e.g point6 socks (former smartwool inventors). They knit the socks in such a way the hydrophobic inner layer wicks moisture away the skin (like a liner) and the outer hydrophilic layer absorbs some of the moisture and transport it outward for fast drying.

I don't think liners will fix a poor quality socks, ill fitted or unbroken shoes. I would recommend using modern merino wool socks during training with or without a liner and see which one is preferable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back in the day, people had to wear liners because wool socks were so itchy and needed something to make your feet comfy.
It is common to combine a thin sock liner on the inside and synthetic quick drying socks on the outside and achieve a desired sock thickness effect, depending on the season.
I don't think this is the best explanation for why people wore liner socks in the past. In my lifetime, their use has been promoted as reducing the friction between foot and sock by allowing movement between the liner and outer sock. This hasn't changed.

Modern socks make this layering redundant, imho. Take a look at e.g point6 socks (former smartwool inventors). They knit the socks in such a way the hydrophobic inner layer wicks moisture away the skin (like a liner) and the outer hydrophilic layer absorbs some of the moisture and transport it outward for fast drying.
Moisture management is just one of the issues, but needs to be accompanied by good friction management. Using liner socks, powder or another lubricant are part of the latter.

I would recommend using modern merino wool socks during training with or without a liner and see which one is preferable.
I have tried modern wool socks, and have effectively abandoned them for serious hiking. They retain far too much moisture for my liking, and stay damp for longer than any of my other trekking socks.

@Rajy62 We will have to agree to disagree here. IMO the two sock system helps greatly to redirect blister causing friction between the two sock layers and away from the skin. Less blisters, more joy! SY
SY, i am not disagreeing with the role of the liner socks. It is not the most prevalent method for reducing/eliminating blisters. I know lot of people annoyed by liners. It is not for everyone. If all other blister prevention strategy fails, i am all for trying liners and see if it helps.

I don't think this is the best explanation for why people wore liner socks in the past. In my lifetime, their use has been promoted as reducing the friction between foot and sock by allowing movement between the liner and outer sock. This hasn't changed.
Historically, i believe that is how liners started into footwear. I agree, liners are good for friction reduction. But, so are other strategies such as taping, vaseline or similar. Moisture increases friction and tend to cause more blisters. So, if you have a warm/sweaty feet to begin with liners can make it worse. Shoe type (low/mid cut), breathability (mesh/leather) will all influence the friction/moisture levels of the feet. I recommend people try and decide whether liners are needed/suitable for them?

Moisture management is just one of the issues, but needs to be accompanied by good friction management. Using liner socks, powder or another lubricant are part of the latter.
I totally agree.

I have tried modern wool socks, and have effectively abandoned them for serious hiking. They retain far too much moisture for my liking, and stay damp for longer than any of my other trekking socks.
I switched to merino wool socks and never looked back. Breathability of the boots, how warm/sweaty your feet is all contributes to getting your socks damp. If other type works for you that is great. But, there is substantial evidence from hikers touting the benefits of merino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It contains dimethacone which purportedly incorporates into the epithelium and prevents friction against the dermis thus disrupting the pathophysiology of blister formation. I previously used BodyGlide but they changed the formula and eliminated the dimethacone.
Have been spending a lot of time at the hospital at my father's bedside lately and noticed a product they use to prevent bedsores - and wouldn't you know it, it contains dimethacone: it's called Proshield Plus and is available in retail: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TLUSX4/?tag=casaivar02-20

Here is my new foot predicament: I have been out of 4 Camino stretches, never had an issue with blisters but rather with falling toe nails. But since, like many of us here I presume, I am always looking for the next 'Camino best thing' I like trying out new products. So far I have walked with Merino (light), also synthetic (bought in Astorga, no seem at the front of the sock), and the second time used liners and thick wool socks (bad idea).

In the last few weeks I have bought Wright socks that are thing, double layer, coolmax. I love how light they are, but they get soaked when I wear them with my Salomon hikking runners. Surely that can't be good?

Then this pas weekend I bought a pair a Trail Injinjis. Love the texture, a bit thick but certainly confortable. Wore them with my hikking runners and yesterday morning I found that the skin on the bottom of my little toe, near where it meets the ball of my foot has torn. The only other time this has happened to me is after days of 4-5 dives a day on liveaboards. So I'm thinking moisture.

When I have been on the Camino I have always used Vaseline or Vick's. Have not been using anything on my feet while testing the new socks. Can that have made a difference when it comes to moisture?

For now I will let my toe heel and when it does will resume testing with a different test on each foot for a few days at a time.

Here is my new foot predicament: I have been out of 4 Camino stretches, never had an issue with blisters but rather with falling toe nails.

Damage to toenails is usually caused by the toes rubbing against the front of the boot, often when going downhill. The only time it happened to me was on the Primitivo going down into Pola de Allande. Only one kilometer or so. My wife stopped to tighten her boot laces - I did not bother! I have realized that I have to be extra careful because of my "Neandertal toe". My second toe is longer than my big toe, a Neandertal gene apparently :rolleyes:. Make sure that there is room in the toe-box and tighten laces BEFORE going downhill.
As for blister prevention:-
"There are nine and sixty ways of composing tribal lays (read "preventing nasty blisters"); And every - single - one - of - them - is - right!" (Apologies to Kipling)
The three sock method works for me. Find out by trial and error what works best for you - Preferably before you begin your Camino :)

Blessings on your trials!
Tio Tel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.