• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot Care Rituals

BShea

Time of past OR future Camino
(9/2013) Le Puy
(5/2015) CF
(5/2016) Le Puy
(5/2017) CF
(9/2017) Le Puy
(9/2019) RL Stevenson
It seems like when it comes to blister prevention and foot pain, what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. I thought it would be good to have a post where people can list their tried and true methods. Here’s my daily ritual:

1. NOK. 6 weeks prior to beginning the camino, I rub a French product called NOK on my feet every day. You can order it from Amazon, but it’s twice the price than when you buy it from a French pharmacy. NOK toughens the feet, makes them almost leather-like over time. Others swear by soaking feet daily in tea for the same results, but I know myself and lathering on cream suits me better than finding the time to make tea and soak my feet. NOK is not available in Spain, only in France. (I checked a dozen pharmacies!) Rather than use Vaseline as many swear by, I continue to use NOK throughout my trip.
2. Micropore Tape. Preventatively, I tape baby toes that tend to blister. Super cheap – 2€ in Spanish pharmacies and lasts forever.
3. Smartwool or Injinji toe socks. Keeps toes from rubbing against each other.
4. Hammer toe gel pads. Because I tend to scrunch up my toes when walking downhill (a lifetime of wearing flipflops, Dr Scholl’s, clogs, etc.), my toes pound on the insoles and I get toe blisters and eventually lose toenails. The gel pads raise my toes and do not allow me to tighten them. These are available at most U.S. pharmacies but I bought mine on-line for $1 a pair out of China.
5. CEP Compression socks. Helps prevent shin splints and tired legs. In the past, I wore knee high CEP socks, but the elastic behind the knee is bothersome so this year I am trying out CEP mid-cut socks.

6. Keen Voyageur boots.
This is the non-waterproof version. Gortex boots made my feet feel like they were on fire. Not only do they keep water out, they don’t allow sweat to evaporate. I wear a women’s size 9 but in these boots, I am wearing a men’s 9. Be sure there is a thumb’s space at the back to allow for foot growth. My non-waterproof boots never felt wet inside when I put them on the next morning following a rainy day.
7. Superfeet green insoles. I have high arches and have debilitating pain on the ball of my foot without these insoles.

OR… Because I have claustrophobic feet, this year I will be wearing sandals instead of boots.

6. Mueller Adjustable Ankle Supports. I tend to roll my ankles on the tiniest of divots. I am hoping that these supports will make up for the lost boot protection.
7. Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals. Chaco's have built-in high arches so I do not need the Superfeet. I actually wore sandals the last time I walked the Frances that I bought on the fly because of a torn blister. By the time I got to Santiago, the soles of my feet felt bruised because the sandals didn't have thick soles. I love the Vibram soles on my Chaco's and hope this will resolve the problem.

Mueller Jumper's Knee Straps. I also wear these preventatively. The downhills on the camino are killer on the knees. I love that these straps are lightweight, unnoticeable and give a little bit of added support to my knees.
9. Cold Water Foot Rinse. At the end of the day, after a wonderful muscle relaxing hot water shower, rinse ankles and feet with cold water to help reduce swelling. Even if you were able to soak your feet in a tub, you should still rinse after a shower as the hot water will cause blood vessels to expand, defeating the effects of the soak.
10. Saltratos Pies Cansados. This relaxing Spanish foot massage cream is readily available in Spanish pharmacies – but the price is unregulated. It was twice as expensive at a pharmacy in downtown Santiago as on the outskirts of town. It's a nice little touch at the end of the day.

I realize this looks like quite the ordeal, but it works for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It seems like when it comes to blister prevention and foot pain, what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. I thought it would be good to have a post where people can list their tried and true methods. Here’s my daily ritual:

(Much good advice)

I think a word about Callouses is appropriate right now. Tough feet may be all well and good, but callouses are not: they dry out, crack and bleed, and they too can develop blisters. My husband is one of those type of people whose feet are like a baby's bottom. I, however, am not and I can grow callouses with enthusiasm. Therefore, my kit will include a pumice stone, and a good rich moisturizer.

@AbbyDee, I have feet like yours (and in fact have two good-sized cracks right now, wearing slippers in cool and quite dry conditions). But on the Camino because my feet are in boots/shoes much of the day, they don't dry out as much and they're softer than usual. So while pumice doesn't weigh much, you may find you don't need it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

1. NOK. 6 weeks prior to beginning the camino, I rub a French product called NOK on my feet every day. You can order it from Amazon, but it’s twice the price than when you buy it from a French pharmacy. NOK toughens the feet, makes them almost leather-like over time. Others swear by soaking feet daily in tea for the same results, but I know myself and lathering on cream suits me better than finding the time to make tea and soak my feet. NOK is not available in Spain, only in France. (I checked a dozen pharmacies!) Rather than use Vaseline as many swear by, I continue to use NOK throughout my trip.
2. Micropore Tape. Preventatively, I tape baby toes that tend to blister. Super cheap – 2€ in Spanish pharmacies and lasts forever.
3. Smartwool or Injinji toe socks. Keeps toes from rubbing against each other.
4. Hammer toe gel pads. Because I tend to scrunch up my toes when walking downhill (a lifetime of wearing flipflops, Dr Scholl’s, clogs, etc.), my toes pound on the insoles and I get toe blisters and eventually lose toenails. The gel pads raise my toes and do not allow me to tighten them. These are available at most U.S. pharmacies but I bought mine on-line for $1 a pair out of China.
5. CEP Compression socks. Helps prevent shin splints and tired legs. In the past, I wore knee high CEP socks, but the elastic behind the knee is bothersome so this year I am trying out CEP mid-cut socks.

6. Keen Voyageur boots.
This is the non-waterproof version. Gortex boots made my feet feel like they were on fire. Not only do they keep water out, they don’t allow sweat to evaporate. I wear a women’s size 9 but in these boots, I am wearing a men’s 9. Be sure there is a thumb’s space at the back to allow for foot growth. My non-waterproof boots never felt wet inside when I put them on the next morning following a rainy day.
7. Superfeet green insoles. I have high arches and have debilitating pain on the ball of my foot without these insoles.

OR… Because I have claustrophobic feet, this year I will be wearing sandals instead of boots.

6. Mueller Adjustable Ankle Supports. I tend to roll my ankles on the tiniest of divots. I am hoping that these supports will make up for the lost boot protection.
7. Chaco Z/1 Unaweep Sandals. Chaco's have built-in high arches so I do not need the Superfeet. I actually wore sandals the last time I walked the Frances that I bought on the fly because of a torn blister. By the time I got to Santiago, the soles of my feet felt bruised because the sandals didn't have thick soles. I love the Vibram soles on my Chaco's and hope this will resolve the problem.

Mueller Jumper's Knee Straps. I also wear these preventatively. The downhills on the camino are killer on the knees. I love that these straps are lightweight, unnoticeable and give a little bit of added support to my knees.
9. Cold Water Foot Rinse. At the end of the day, after a wonderful muscle relaxing hot water shower, rinse ankles and feet with cold water to help reduce swelling. Even if you were able to soak your feet in a tub, you should still rinse after a shower as the hot water will cause blood vessels to expand, defeating the effects of the soak.
10. Saltratos Pies Cansados. This relaxing Spanish foot massage cream is readily available in Spanish pharmacies – but the price is unregulated. It was twice as expensive at a pharmacy in downtown Santiago as on the outskirts of town. It's a nice little touch at the end of the day.

I have walked the camino frances twice in various intervals. After 2-3 hours of walking I usually stop to clean my shoes, socks and feet from dust and sand. It is just amazing how dust and sand manages to get inside the shoes and mingle with the socks.....this causing a risk for blisters I imagine. Also, whenever I see (and feel too usually) a reddening of some part of the foot during some part of the day I put on a profylactic Compeed. After a couple of days it will fall off and at that point your foot will be fine too.

I have walked three Camino's over the last three years and never had a blister, what is my remedy? Stop every two hours take your boots off and check for any redness and treat it then with a plaster or compeed.
If at any time you feel discomfort in your feet stop immediately and treat it , do not push on and keep on walking as it will only get worse and end up in an almighty avoidable blister which can ruin your week!!!
Prevention is the issue.

I think that we sometimes make too much of a mystery and theatrical performance of our "foot care rituals". If there is an obvious problem then identify and fix it. I rarely have blister trouble but one deformed toe often chafes. So I tape it with micropore tape. If there are fungal problems then I rub on some metronidazole cream or a blend of vaseline with tea tree oil. Simple. There are too many possible foot problems for any one "ritual" to cover them all. If there is no particular problem then just keeping the feet clean and dry is probably all that is required. "If it ain't broke...."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leukotape sportstape on all blister prone areas.
Bodyglide lubricant all over your feet including over the tape.
Injinji toesocks.
Vasque hiking shoes. Preferably not waterproof. If waterproof, prepare to change socks every 20km or so.
Calf sleeves can be handy too to prevent the peregrino waddle at the end of the day.

I have walked the camino frances twice in various intervals. After 2-3 hours of walking I usually stop to clean my shoes, socks and feet from dust and sand. It is just amazing how dust and sand manages to get inside the shoes and mingle with the socks.....this causing a risk for blisters I imagine. Also, whenever I see (and feel too usually) a reddening of some part of the foot during some part of the day I put on a profylactic Compeed. After a couple of days it will fall off and at that point your foot will be fine too.
That has been exactly my experiences, too! Love that compeed!

@AbbyDee, I have feet like yours (and in fact have two good-sized cracks right now, wearing slippers in cool and quite dry conditions). But on the Camino because my feet are in boots/shoes much of the day, they don't dry out as much and they're softer than usual. So while pumice doesn't weigh much, you may find you don't need it.

I hope you are right, callouses are still thick skin, and I want some way of trimming them down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think that we sometimes make too much of a mystery and theatrical performance of our "foot care rituals". If there is an obvious problem then identify and fix it. I rarely have blister trouble but one deformed toe often chafes. So I tape it with micropore tape. If there are fungal problems then I rub on some metronidazole cream or a blend of vaseline with tea tree oil. Simple. There are too many possible foot problems for any one "ritual" to cover them all. If there is no particular problem then just keeping the feet clean and dry is probably all that is required. "If it ain't broke...."

One thing is for sure: we will all get to know our feet far more intimately than we ever dreamed.

It is true that what works for one does not for others .
I met people who loved the gel toe protectors ... I didn't they created sweat and were annoying
I really was glad I used the green inner soles ... there were perfect for me and I had no knee pain or leg pain
I would only use compeed preventatively ... some people I met swore that they put it on blisters and it was a miracle cure .... not so for me
The thing I didn't do from the start but did later which I swear by is Vaseline !
After I cured my blisters I started Vaseline and did not get anymore blisters .... it is in the pharmacy not in the supermarket ...
Next time I would take more socks ... and ninja toe socks ... awesome

My recommendations
Green shoe innersoles
Toe socks
Vaseline
Micropore reventatively
Compeed preventatively but it's expensive

Ultreia

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello, on my first Camino I did most of the right things...double socks, Vaseline etc Had to come home after a week wth really badly infected blisters. Pretty sure the culprit was the Saloman boots I was wearing as I had blister problems with them on a subsequent multi day hike here in the U.K. This year I'll be wearing trail shoes and carrying loads of zinc oxide tape.

On a video I came across while negotiating the YouTube rabbit hole someone was using Vics VapoRub on their feet instead of Vaseline. Anyone tried this? Could also help me breathe more easily in those sardine packed Albergues one sometimes ends up using!

blisters-1487259844.jpg

For preventing the blisters formation or to avoid its associated problem you must try the best preventive measure but for that right guidance and knowledge is equally important. So, in regards to this, I have a very helpful link which surely helps in getting rid of by following complete preventive measures.

I can only highlight the main things that you can do prevent blister pain and problem but to know how it is to be done, you must check out this link:

• Green Tea
  • Tent It To Protect It
  • Prevent Blisters With Deodorant
  • Pop Vitamin E
  • Castor Oil
source:

My daily foot care routine is pretty simple:

1) shower at NIGHT so your feet have time to thoroughly dry before walking
2) Vaseline in the morning
3) socks and liners according to climate/temperature
4) stop and deal with hot spots before they become blisters.
5) give your feet a nice rub a couple of times a day

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.