• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot care & washing socks

sugargypsy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
Planning: CP / CF or CdN 2022
Hi,

at the moment I walk with my new trailers and wright socks, to figure out, whether this combination works for me, hopefully not getting any blisters when walking. At night and morning I cream up my feet with deer sebum, which has a quite high fat content. Some of the sebum is of course leaving traces at the inner surface of the socks.

I now tried to wash the socks thoroughly in my basin, just to test how clean they'll get, if I can't use a washing machine. After drying there seems a slight greasy film to be left in the insides of the socks. It's okay for now, but when walking for some weeks these traces will probably add up to a point, where I might not feel comfortable anymore, putting on less than clean socks. Does one sort of adjust ones personal standards of cleanliness during the Camino ;), simply gets used to it or is it no problem along the Camino Frances to find a washing machine like every other day in the albergues along the way?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hahaha, I think we all adjust our personal standards of cleanliness on Camino although it can be kept up to home standards. You'll run into washing machines every now and then and high temperature with enough soap will remove the grease. But when you wash your socks by hand (sometimes there even isn't hot water) in wash basins be careful to rinse out all the soap as this could be very dangerous for developing blisters especially if your feet sweat a lot.

Buen Camino!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I understand the experience you are having. To solve the problem, I prefer to use liner socks, as it pains me to think of ruining good smartwool socks because of the Vaseline I use. Liner socks can take it on the chin!

Wright socks in my opinion are the best socks in the world! Remember that wool naturally has a bit of lanolin (grease/oil) in it so I wouldn't be too worried about a build up of grease. But I'd suggest putting a squirt of undiluted dishwashing liquid directly on the greasy area, rub it in then wash in hot water. Soap may not cut through the greasy like dishwashing liquid does.

I think creaming your feet twice a day may be a bit excessive.
I normally cream my feet only once in the evening, but for the moment my podologist recommends twice a day due to some special skin problems.
I understand the experience you are having. To solve the problem, I prefer to use liner socks, as it pains me to think of ruining good smartwool socks because of the Vaseline I use. Liner socks can take it on the chin!
Since I'm wearing wright socks at the moment which already have a double layer integrated. I'm not sure whether a third layer makes sense or if I would produce another sort of problem when walking. But I'll try a thin silk liner and find out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I normally cream my feet only once in the evening, but for the moment my podologist recommends twice a day due to some special skin problems.
Since I'm wearing wright socks at the moment which already have a double layer integrated. I'm not sure whether a third layer makes sense or if I would produce another sort of problem when walking. But I'll try a thin silk liner and find out.
Sorry, sugargypsy, I didn’t realise you already have an inner layer. Might be too thick to use another one...so now, another suggestion> in Spain there is a soap that I find excellent. Ordinary everyday, from before supermarkets... they call it jabon de lagarta or something like that. The brand i use is Chimbo. I did see similar at the washing sinks at albergues. I buy bars of it to bring home as gifts! Much more useful than trinkets that end up behind cushion son the sofa! I do hope you solve your problem soon. Maybe they still have old fashioned soap where you live?

I have commented elsewhere on this forum regarding shoes and feet. To save a search, I'll recap: I wore Saucony Peregrine 6 Trail Runners. I broke them in for about 100 kilometers on the hills here on Fidalgo Island while wearing a pack. On the Camino, I had a twice per day ritual of rubbing Vaseline (vaselina in Spanish) into my feet in the morning and after showering at the end of the hiking day. I wore a silk liner sock under a medium weight Smart Wool sock while hiking. I did not have a single blister much less a hot spot. Shoes, like my trail runners, including regular running shoes, have about an 800 kilometer life span. Good for one Camino Frances. Because feet tend to swell from the constant day after day walking, I bought my Sauconys a full size larger than I normally wear. If you are fortunate enough to have an R.E.I. (Recreational Equipment Inc.) store near you, the shoe folks are familiar with Camino adventurers and can offer expert advice on what to wear. Happy, but tired feet at the end of the day are preferable to blistery, and tired feet. I took along an extra pair of shoe liners, but did not need them as the Everun cushioned liners that come with the shoes was excellent. I took them out of the shoes to air them every night. For those who elect to use Vaseline, and run out, ACOFAR DERM (vaselina pura filante) is a fine Spanish brand widely available in Farmacias throughout Spain. The key for liner socks is that they be silk.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back