• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot injury - how long should it be rested before Camino

newport

I had planned to complete the full Camino in September 2009 (did 220kms of it last year and fell in love with everything about it ) but managed to break a bone in my foot and tear my ankle ligaments at the end of January. I am now getting physio and have started light exercise. I am fairly fit and feel it wont be a problem but quite a few people I have spoken with have said I might not survive the full camino ....I want to book my flights, thinking of doing the full camino is what has got me through the last three months!!! Has anyone else had an injury like this and still did the camino later that same year????? :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Foot injury - how long should it be rested before doing Cami

Hello

Noone on this forum willl have the specific information about your injusry even if they are a Dr. or a physio. I think it would be better to clearly describe the Camino to your Dr./Physio and ask them about when you will be ready and listen to them. You don't really want to have a foot injury that doesn't heal properly. I speak from experience.

Good luck!

John

Re: Foot injury - how long should it be rested before doing Cami

I agree that you should discuss this thoroughly with your doctor and PT therapist. I broke my leg/ankle in five places in the White Mountains on the AT--it was nine months before I could walk unassisted. But the following summer I was able to do 150 miles on the AT--my orthopedic surgeon was clear that I was not to stress my injuries and at the first sign of pain and/or inflammation, I was to stop and RICE. I also worked with my PT therapist to stretch, strengthen and do specific exercises to help me train appropriately. Taking it slow but sure was the ticket. I also made sure my packweight was absolute minimum. I know how discouraging an injury like this is when you're wanting to do something like the Camino. The Camino will be there for a long, long time. Take care of your legs and they will take care of you. Good luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back