• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot preparation

Michael Garver

Time of past OR future Camino
Future- I am preparing
Can anyone give me advice on avoiding blisters in preparing for a Camino pilgrimage . There is the physical , spiritual and apparently the feet! Any advice on toughening up the feet to prevent blisters?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just keep walking, your body will start adjusting. Avoid any artificial stimulants to harden your feet. Gradually incorporate rolling hills as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone- I usually wear ( the brand) Keens for hiking - do I need something more rugged? They hold up well in Montana. I don't usually hike 800 kms in them- :)

Thanks everyone- I usually wear ( the brand) Keens for hiking - do I need something more rugged? They hold up well in Montana. I don't usually hike 800 kms in them- :)
I relied on Vaseline, thin running socks and trail shoes that fit well. Also cold foot soaks when I could.
Your Keens should handle the Camino no problem. Lots of pilgrims wear them. My Merrells showed very little wear and tear after walking the CF. Threw them in the washing machine, dried them out in the sun, and almost like new.

Thanks Mark! I am still reading and doing my research and starting to train. I have read several accounts of people's experience and this forum is excellent!
Can hardly wait!
God bless!
Michael

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1) Two opposites schols of thought: harden or soften your feet before leaving.

I used to harden with Tano or lemon juice, starting about 3 weeks bc (before Camino). Did great, no blisters. But this year I could not be bothered and only got a tiny blister on top of the thumb joint. Perhaps my feet are not prone to them, or there is something else I do that makes thedifference?

2) Vaseline, Bagbalm,Dimethacone, Vick's Vapour Rub every morning before leaving. All worked equally well, or again my feet are not prone to blisters. Could not be bothered this year and all I got was that little thimbtoe blister.

3) Socks. Liners are a pain in the behind as they tend to slide down and bunch up on the bottom of your feet. Regular shapped socks in Merino or other wool did well by me. Only regular shape socks that do not work well for me are Wright's as they keep my feet moist. And there are Injinjis. One would think that the toe socks may be annoying but no, super comfy. BUT... The medium thickness with cause the skin at the base where the toe meets the foot decomposes and tears after 2 days of wear. The "lights" I was able to wear for 10 days or so before the same thing occurs. This also happensto me when diving 4 times a day, day after day, starting after 5 days or so.

4) After walk treatment. The only thing I still swear by, as I have not tried to walk without it yet that is. And what I use is Saint-John's Wart Oil. Recommend to me by the owners of the hiking store in Astorga 4 years ago. Also by avid mou tain walkers met on the Norte 2 years ago who used it to help heal 2inch wide blisters, skin off!, on the ball of the foot of an unfortuante walker who had walked in the rain as it is also an antiseptic. A couple of drops on each foot after your shower and go. Super light to carry and does tripple duty: antichaving for the day, antisceptic, and sking softener.

5) A trick I never tried but same mounteneering guys on the Norte recommended to man with blisters is femine hygene pads on between sock and foot to absorb moisture. Again, 2 schools of thought: stick side up, or down ;0).

Now, I think the consensus is that the second you think you are getting a blister, or better yet hot spot, stop and slap something on it: tape, bandaid, compeed.

Good luck!

Let me break the "bad news". Camino is not a 'hike' as we know in North america; very rugged uneven terrain over mountains. Aprox 50% of it on small paved roads, another 30% over gravel or country trails and the rest may be considered over rugged uneven trails. So, you need a footware that would be comfortable for that. Keens are popular. I walked with Lowa renegades, non gtx version.

Here is an old thread that discussed various blister prevention methods, written by a podiatrist, compares scientifically proven methods. There is a guidebook you can download.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah, I agree on the post on here recommending not wearing waterproof (gore tex) shoes, at least for the warmer, summer months, say June-September. Really no need for them, and I find my feet don't breathe as well while wearing that type. Sweaty feet=blisters.

Don't feel that you have to follow all of the advice given - here are some simple suggestions
Most important to wear the shoes and socks on a few half-day long walks before you go
When walking, stop regularly (say every 2-4 hours) to look at your feet and give them a few minutes fresh air
I wear trail shoes that fortunately give me very little movement of my heel as well as being soft so no rubbing against the back of my heel that used to give me blisters on other shoes

"Just keep walking..." can be a very bad advice for many. Not always the wise or healthy thing to do. I met a pilgrim that "just kept walking...." and almost lost a toe due to severe infection.

I will tell you what worked perfectly for me in hopes that it works just as well for you... (maybe yes, maybe not....)

I bought Merrell boots half size larger.

Every morning I covered potential friction points (i.e. tip of toes, plantar (bottom) fat pad, posterior thin heel pad) with surgical tape. The areas of the foot left uncovered I slathered with Vaseline. I then wore thin socks, my preferred ones were the INJINJI sock with toes (loved these!). Yes, it will take longer to get ready in the mornings, but I never got a blister, not once while doing the above. I skipped this routine one day (ONE DAY!) got a blister within hours of walking. Lesson learned very quickly.

I also stretched my legs and feet every morning and after every day of walking. Never once got plantar fasciitis (used to get it terribly!) . no knee, hips, no pain whatsoever.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lose weight, both in your backpack and around your waist line (if applicable).
Make sure to buy the right and well fitting shoes/boots and socks.
Buy shoes/boots in the afternoon when your feet are swollen.
Try shoes/boots with a fully loaded backpack before buying them.
Walk, walk, walk and walk some more.

Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can anyone give me advice on avoiding blisters in preparing for a Camino pilgrimage . There is the physical , spiritual and apparently the feet! Any advice on toughening up the feet to prevent blisters?

I just returned this week, from walking the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. I didn't get a single blister. I wore Keen leather, waterproof, mid height boots. I thanked God every day (literally!) for my boots and hiking poles. I started off my training at home, by taping the inner and outer edges of my feet. I used Vaseline every night and would rub it in and leave a little extra. I would then pull on a clean pair of socks and wear them to bed. I continued this process during the whole Camino, except that I quit using the tape after about 10 days. I came home with soft feet and not a single area of peeling skin. What a blessing!! I did struggle with sciatic pain for the first week, which was pretty miserable. I feel like I overstretched the first few days, and angered my nerve. I have pretty thin, low volume feet, so I'm not sure how much that has to do with blisters or no blisters. Oh, the other thing I wore everyday is "Wright Socks" they are the cool max ones with the built in liner. I saw too may people having firey red rashes around their ankles from reactions to wool socks rubbing too much. I hope this helps.

No need to toughen up your feet. I always put Vaseline on my feet which helps prevent friction, and if you do feel a hotspot on your skin put some oxide tape on immediately, this should prevent a blister forming.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.