• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot problems

Mike Taylor

M.Clark
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
We are leaving from SJPdP on May 9th and walking to Santiago. I have tender feet and need to have my callous' shaved off on a monthly basis from just normal wear and tear. Since I will be extending my normal hiking distances for the CF and anticipate more foot issues than here at home, is anybody aware of professional services that provide messages or foot care on the Camino. Is there a list of cities across the camino that have medical care for blistering problems or do most Albergues have recommendations for their towns. Do bigger cities have services we should call ahead for appointments.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Adverts here and there, ues. Relliable amd more than just a rub down? Who knows. And I have not seen any professionals advertising in albergues. In fact, sometimes albergues invite characters to work on pilgrims, such as in Guemes.

I would ask your podiatrist for foot care recommendations. I know mine is adament that those shavers are terrible as calluses will only grow back with a vengeance, but he does speak highly of a particular cream whose name escapes me.

Also, I am one of those who builds up calluses with lemon juice foot soaks before departure. Maybe your calluses will be a blessing? Do you want to remove calluses on the Camino?

Once on route, after building up calluses moisturizing is important, as in antirubbing. For that vaseline, Vick' or Proshield Plus type of products typically do the job.

Speak to you foot care practitioner. He or she may actually have professional contacts in Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are leaving from SJPdP on May 9th and walking to Santiago. I have tender feet and need to have my callous' shaved off on a monthly basis from just normal wear and tear. Since I will be extending my normal hiking distances for the CF and anticipate more foot issues than here at home, is anybody aware of professional services that provide messages or foot care on the Camino. Is there a list of cities across the camino that have medical care for blistering problems or do most Albergues have recommendations for their towns. Do bigger cities have services we should call ahead for appointments.
Hmmm.... no, there's not a lot of opportunity for massages along the way. Don't overdo each day. 20 kms is plenty!
Wear a good quality thin pair of socks under a good quality pair of hiking socks. It helps prevent blisters.
There are lots of pharmacies along the way which all sell stuff for sore pilgrims including foot care treatments, special dressings for blisters etc.
Buy very good quality shoes or boots.
Yes there are medical centres in most villages ... I hope you speak Spanish
Don't have a heavy backpack!!!!!
Most importantly... enjoy each village, don't just concentrate on walking from A to B
Good luck

What I understand is that the underlaying answer is ... = help yourself :(
I have the same problem, quick return (... where I have a bunion).
I will need to learn Spanish...:cool:

foot problems. If you start with feet in good condition you will be ok. Month will bring you to the end if you walk w5km day. Shors boots well broken in. At least 3 months and good socks not new as new have dyes. I never get blisters. I walk on beach and sea water toughtens up feet. Lots of albergues have information for blisters and volunters come in some evenings. Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
foot problems. If you start with feet in good condition you will be ok. Month will bring you to the end if you walk w5km day. Shors boots well broken in. At least 3 months and good socks not new as new have dyes. I never get blisters. I walk on beach and sea water toughtens up feet. Lots of albergues have information for blisters and volunters come in some evenings. Buen camino
The problem is that youmay not know yourfwet are in bad condition. I apparently haveflat feet. Took me two painful Caminos to fins out. Third one was fantastic, and then came the fourth... orthotics, quality broken in shoes, and what happens? Plantear fasciitis. Now I have my podiatrist approve all my walking shoes and she has prescribed a second set of orthotics I swap nack and forth during the day. Also learned a few foot stretches. Visit your podiatrist to find out if your feet are healthy before you leave, making sure itthe visit is early enough in case you need further testing or custom orthotics, or to nreak in new shoes.

diabetic foot ulcer.png
I have seen that most of the diabetic patients suffer with the problem of foot ulcer which is very ugly and painful kind of issue. If anyone having this issue then it’s my recommendation that don’t ignore it if you start curing it in the starting stages then it will easily stopped other it get worse with the time.

Here I have given you the link of very helpful post regarding foot ulcer treatment, so check out and stop it from being spread.

I also have the same calluse problem. In fact I am overdue for a visit to my podiatrist. As I work up to my Camino I have found out that the cheapo gel inserts found on a EBay work very well. I have toe caps, inserts that cover my heel and others for the area under my great toe. Perfect? No, but they definitely help. Short notice for the OP, but he may be able to locate some in a pharmacy before his trip.

Burn Camino compadre.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.