• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot product that saved us

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Almost reluctant to post as foot care, shoes etc... can set off a firestorm on hiking forums...

BUT if it helps anyone else I thought I'd share this worked for us (a family of 6 that hiked over 1,100 miles last year).
My two oldest sons had some foot issues on the Le Puy route, and about 3/4 of the way through this route before starting our Spanish stretch to Santiago we met a nice lady who shared what she had used to help her blisters.
She recommended "NOK" cream.
She recommended square gauze that was soft (there is a difference)
She recommended this kind of medical tape that you cut from a roll and it stretches. The roll was pretty big, but since we had several of us I didn't mind that burden of carrying.
I could not find NOK in Spanish drug stores, but did get my last container in SSJP.
I thought I couldn't get it here in the States but all along I have been spelling it wrong and just now found it!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070X231Y/?tag=casaivar02-20
I will try to post a picture of what we used, as I remember taking pictures with the hopes to share.
I also remember the NOK smelling good!
Make sure you don't order more than a flight will let you take on board...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Almost reluctant to post as foot care, shoes etc... can set off a firestorm on hiking forums...

BUT if it helps anyone else I thought I'd share this worked for us (a family of 6 that hiked over 1,100 miles last year).
My two oldest sons had some foot issues on the Le Puy route, and about 3/4 of the way through this route before starting our Spanish stretch to Santiago we met a nice lady who shared what she had used to help her blisters.
She recommended "NOK" cream.
She recommended square gauze that was soft (there is a difference)
She recommended this kind of medical tape that you cut from a roll and it stretches. The roll was pretty big, but since we had several of us I didn't mind that burden of carrying.
I could not find NOK in Spanish drug stores, but did get my last container in SSJP.
I thought I couldn't get it here in the States but all along I have been spelling it wrong and just now found it!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070X231Y/?tag=casaivar02-20
I will try to post a picture of what we used, as I remember taking pictures with the hopes to share.
I also remember the NOK smelling good!
Make sure you don't order more than a flight will let you take on board...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I LOVE MY NOK CREAM! I am from Canada and can get it from MEC. and wouldn't hike without it. Sometimes they have free shipping over $50 and I will buy three. I have shared it so many times with people, I lose count. I am quite allergic to smells, but whatever smell it has seems to disappear quickly as I use whatever is still on my hands to work into my cuticles. You do not need to use a lot.

I have found NOK cream to be the only remedy to resolve an issue with 'thigh chafing'. Maybe, this is a problem restricted to male pilgrims but it can be a show stopper if not treated in some way.

001.JPG

NOK!!!! Wouldn't leave home without it.

There's an equivalent product in Germany whose name I forgot. German pilgrims please pipe up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love Nok cream!
Although it did not prevent me from getting blisters last Summer on the VF - but then I blame 'Lucifer' ;)

Thanks so much for the recommendation. And at 95 ml it comes in just under the TSA maximum for size of liquid bottle.

Does anyone know if this will work with corns? I always get very painful ones in between my toes, but I think they come from the pressure rather than the rubbing. And I just can't find a boot that does the trick.

What is this "soft gauze" you are talking about? Always learning something new, thanke Neve! Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks so much for the recommendation. And at 95 ml it comes in just under the TSA maximum for size of liquid bottle.

Does anyone know if this will work with corns? I always get very painful ones in between my toes, but I think they come from the pressure rather than the rubbing. And I just can't find a boot that does the trick.

What is this "soft gauze" you are talking about? Always learning something new, thanke Neve! Buen camino, Laurie
Let me do some searching on the soft gauze here in the USA, and the sticker adhesive that you cut on the dotted line was also necessary to get that gauze to stay. THAT might be what you can put on your corns. It would protect them or cover them.
Give me sometime to search, I'll see what is out there.
I know I took pictures of the products that I can post when a kid shows me how to do so....

NOK!!!! Wouldn't leave home without it.

There's an equivalent product in Germany whose name I forgot. German pilgrims please pipe up.
I’m from Holland , is that count.?:D

As already stated , Gehwol ( go wel ) is a great product we use it aswell .

Wish you well and happy feest , Peter .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As promised the images of what saved us...
Nok (already discussed)
The bottom picture was given to us by a pilgrim (I think from France) , the HOMEOPLASMINE was used on our blisters, Then the "soft gauze", see the image , it is more cotton like on the top. The image of the tape (life saver for us) is a tape. It was purchased in rolls and you could cut along the lines to make it the size you needed.

foot_cream1.jpg
tape_guaze.jpgblister_cream.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.