• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Foot wear - a thought or two to share

dfox

Time of past OR future Camino
Today is our 5th day on Caminho Português from Porto.

The first day, we walked along the coast. The “trail” was mainly on boardwalk. My daily road running shoes. Once I reached the Central route, I had to wear trail running shoes.

90% of the trail covered were asphalt roads and uneven rock covered roads, which are very hard on my feet.

To address this situation, two conditions may be helpful: 1) shoes with strong cushioning and 2) the pilgrims’ ankles and knees are flexible to adjust the road surface conditions more flexible.

A member of the group found her multi-sport footwear was quite comfortable.

Hope this help

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We found the infamous Portugeuse cobblestones to be very tough on our feet. I wear Asics gel walking shoes and I wished the soles were a little firmer. My wife wore boots that had solid soles and the cobblestones did not trouble her as much. We also had some hot days and the heat from the roads and cobblestones caused our feet to sweat and we each developed our first blister in over 1100 kms of walking.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Today is our 5th day on Caminho Português from Porto.

The first day, we walked along the coast. The “trail” was mainly on boardwalk. My daily road running shoes. Once I reached the Central route, I had to wear trail running shoes.

90% of the trail covered were asphalt roads and uneven rock covered roads, which are very hard on my feet.

To address this situation, two conditions may be helpful: 1) shoes with strong cushioning and 2) the pilgrims’ ankles and knees are flexible to adjust the road surface conditions more flexible.

A member of the group found her multi-sport footwear was quite comfortable.

Hope this help

Yeah! Shoes with strong cushioning are flexible and sweat free.

On our first Camino Gill started out in her Merrill trail shoes, I in my well worn Hitec hiking boots. By the time we had got to Pamplona we were both in trouble. She completed her Camino in her Keen CNX sandels and I in Hitec open thin soled sandels. Our initial footwear was posted to Santiago.
Last year we both walked in Keen CNX sandels, doing almost 1000km Including the Primitivo with no foot issues. I must however admit we had no rain

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back