• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footprints - Movie - Where is the place?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Woow! Looks great! Thanks for sharing!
I don't know the place, but you can ask in comments of the video..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recognise the Raton of Getaria, and the beach of Noja, but what is the structure that looks like the Great wall of China or the Canyon where they are walking along a rock wall? I also can't help but think that some of the mountain shots are on the Primitivo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is where I discovered they were walking the Camino del Norte: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/arizona/article_1a7f2e58-a070-11e6-8f3f-379774d51071.html

Edited to add: I looked through the pictures here on the forum in the Camino del Norte category but I didn't see any that matched that climb up the cliff.
Thank you for your link. It does say they took a few detours to especially significan Catholics places. This may explain why we can't place many of the images in the trailer.

The one of them walking along a rock cliff makes me wonder if their detour wasn't a massive one that took tuem to the Camino del Rey which in my book is a whole lot more than a detour as it's all the way in the South of Spain....

And I think @LionHeart7 is bang on, which makes me wonder about the value of this as a documentary on the Camino. I am uncomfortable with them using images of places not on the Norte to promote their documentary. I hope not to ,any head on the Norte to find out the places they wanted to see are not on it. A bit deceptive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your link. It does say they took a few detours to especially significan Catholics places. This may explain why we can't place many of the images in the trailer.

The one of them walking along a rock cliff makes me wonder if their detour wasn't a massive one that took tuem to the Camino del Rey which in my book is a whole lot more than a detour as it's all the way in the South of Spain....

And I think @LionHeart7 is bang on, which makes me wonder about the value of this as a documentary on the Camino. I am uncomfortable with them using images of places not on the Norte to promote their documentary. I hope not to ,any head on the Norte to find out the places they wanted to see are not on it. A bit deceptive?

Dear Anemone,

My question was about that specific place. You all helped, so I am grateful.
I intend to go to Gaztelugatxe, just to feel that I am at the end of the world.

I find this movie as a complementary thing not a product placement. If Martin Sheen's - The Way make some people to take the Camino and in my humble opinion it was for a range of age. This new movie has a new target, younger folks. Maybe I am wrong, if so correct me please.

The more of us on Camino the better, because the main idea is to find your path, to add a change to your and maybe to others life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Ah, OK. I didn’t click on the link in your original post, only on the video, so I thought you were asking where the whole walk was taking place, not just one specific scene. Thanks for bringing the film to our attention. The scenery is fabulous! Jill

Looks like a great movie. But it doesn't seem to be available as a DVD or download :( Though I've submitted a message on their website asking....

Films like this are purely for entertainment. Accuracy is secondary. No way would I ever look upon any of them in a documentary or instructional way. I laugh every time I hear someone mention the inaccuracies of the movie, The Way. Ummm, it's a movie. :D
This one looks pretty good. I would find it entertaining. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Last edited:
Dear Anemone,

I find this movie as a complementary thing not a product placement. If Martin Sheen's - The Way make some people to take the Camino and in my humble opinion it was for a range of age. This new movie has a new target, younger folks. Maybe I am wrong, if so correct me please.

The more of us on Camino the better, because the main idea is to find your path, to add a change to your and maybe to others life.
I just heard from one of the people involved in the movie and she confirms it is Gaztelugatxe. I have asked again about the place I think is the Camino del Rey.

The website also says: They also explored the Lebaniega Route crossing the majestic Picos de Europa mountain range."

Reading the bits about the movie I think it is a movie, or rather more of a documentary, aimed at religious people and whose goal is to give an image that the Camino was supposed to be: a religious pilgrimage, not a walking holiday, even if somehow spiritual.

From the film's website:

“That’s one of the most important components of pilgrimage,” Fita responded. “You have to go through suffering and pain. You have to go through the suffering of the cross to see the light of redemption.”

" As he looked into the possibility of reviving his dream, he realized that the Camino was furtively changing course and quietly moving in the wrong direction. It was slowly losing its authentic religious character; its original meaning was becoming obscured. This ancient religious pilgrimage which had been traveled by many saints was becoming little more than a new age diversion for many of its current pilgrims.

Oh no, this is not the Camino de Santiago that I dreamed of traveling when I was a child.” So he decided to take it upon himself to portray the spiritual beauty of this ancient pilgrimage, and restore its authentic religious character. "

So will it appeal to thr yourh in general? I doubt it, but it will speak to the particularly religius ones no doubt. And it will speak to even the non religious of any age who love the Camino, regardless of age. It just depends on how heavy handed they are with the scenes about religion. They made detours according to religion, to visit important Catholic sites, so Iguess we'll have to see the film to find out.

Now, if you want to feel as if you are at the end of the wolrl Fisterra and Muxia will do that. Fisterra more because if its name and history behind the name, Muxia because if the spirituality of the place.

Thank you for the find. Let's hope the film gets circulated enough so that we can see it.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe or Gaztelugache, is a few miles off the Norte, the closest point might be Gernika/Guernica. It is pretty much off the beaten track, you would have to walk approx 45 minutes from the car park to the place itself. As far as I know, there are no buses that go along that remote coastline, so it might be a matter of taxi... Amazing place, near the huge concrete skeleton of the lemoniz nuclear powerstation that was never finished... one of the eeriest places I have ever seen.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This looks like a really interesting place to visit, but it would involve quite a detour. I see that there are buses from Bilbao, so it could be a day trip on a rest day. There's some visitor information here: http://www.euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/spain/san-juan-de-gaztelugatxe/

Edit - climbing 241 steps might not be everyone's idea of a rest day :)

Looks like a very nice way to spend a rest day in Bilbao, Nuala. It's now on my list for this summer. ;) I can't find the bus route the website refers to, the A3517. There is a 3515 and a 3527, both of which go from Bilbao to Bermeo, but I can't figure out how to find out the intermediate stops on the Bizkaiabus website. http://apli.bizkaia.net/apps/danok/tq/index.html?Idioma=ES Maybe the website has a typo and it's one of those two lines.

Anyway, it looks like there would be no problem making our way there from Bilbao. And the website you linked to does say that there is a bus stop right at the start of the steps -- can't get more convenient than that!

I went to see the movie when it was in theaters locally at the end of October. The Catholic church that sponsored the walk it is here in the Phoenix, AZ area - St. Anne's in the suburb of Gilbert. They are on the Norte route but deviate from the Camino around the Picos de Europa in order to visit 2 Catholic sites: the Santa Cueva de Covadonga and to see the "True Cross" relic at the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Leibana.

Of the 10 or 12 men that started in San Sebastian, 7 of them ended up needing medical treatment or stopped walking altogether due to the pace at which they were going. I don't recall how many days they walked, but they had a goal to reach Compostela by the feast of St. James (2014), so the closing scene is of the joyous crowds and fireworks that evening.

http://www.catholicsun.org/2015/08/...riest-men-along-spains-way-of-st-james-video/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Looks like a very nice way to spend a rest day in Bilbao, Nuala. It's now on my list for this summer. ;) I can't find the bus route the website refers to, the A3517. There is a 3515 and a 3527, both of which go from Bilbao to Bermeo, but I can't figure out how to find out the intermediate stops on the Bizkaiabus website. http://apli.bizkaia.net/apps/danok/tq/index.html?Idioma=ES Maybe the website has a typo and it's one of those two lines.

Anyway, it looks like there would be no problem making our way there from Bilbao. And the website you linked to does say that there is a bus stop right at the start of the steps -- can't get more convenient than that!

I had the same difficulty with the bus timetable, but I'm sure it will be easy to find the details in Bilbao. It could also be a relatively easy side-trip from Gernika - bus or train to Bermeo, then 10kms on foot or by taxi (according to Rome2Rio).
I'll check all of this out when I'm there and pass on the information to you.

You can use Google Street View to examine a few places where there are 360 degree views from the island.
https://www.google.com/maps/place//...!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6ac5ba227c9c861?hl=en-US
Thanks Rick, looking at the google maps was what made me REALLY want to visit this place!

I went to see the movie when it was in theaters locally at the end of October. The Catholic church that sponsored the walk it is here in the Phoenix, AZ area - St. Anne's in the suburb of Gilbert. They are on the Norte route but deviate from the Camino around the Picos de Europa in order to visit 2 Catholic sites: the Santa Cueva de Covadonga and to see the "True Cross" relic at the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Leibana.

Of the 10 or 12 men that started in San Sebastian, 7 of them ended up needing medical treatment or stopped walking altogether due to the pace at which they were going. I don't recall how many days they walked, but they had a goal to reach Compostela by the feast of St. James (2014), so the closing scene is of the joyous crowds and fireworks that evening.

http://www.catholicsun.org/2015/08/...riest-men-along-spains-way-of-st-james-video/
That's a shame that more than half of them had injuries so bad they needed medical assistance or had to stop their pilgrimage before reaching Santiago due to injury. From what little I can see in the film's trailers. their packs look too large and too heavy. They are young guys, but youth can only compensate for so much I suppose.

€83,-
That's a shame that more than half of them had injuries so bad they needed medical assistance or had to stop their pilgrimage before reaching Santiago due to injury. From what little I can see in the film's trailers. their packs look too large and too heavy. They are young guys, but youth can only compensate for so much I suppose.

Yes, they carried a lot - every day they had a full mass wherever they were (including many silver items that can't have been light - a stark difference from the forum members here who weigh everything to the gram!). Some of the locations on mountaintops were quite breathtaking. Many of them got a lot of blisters on the first day (hey, I can relate to that!), but they really were pushing themselves, and there were several comments made that suffering is an important part of the pilgrimage.

So who do you think this film/documentary will appeal to?

Definitely Catholics. I'd say that is the target audience, as it is the main theme that runs through the entire film. My Catholic mother in law went and absolutely loved it, particularly their detours to see the cave in honor of the Virgin and the cross at the monastery. Last year we went to Santiago de Compostela and she was just in awe of all of the pilgrims and we were lucky to see the botafumeiro at Mass, so I knew she would enjoy the film. I went to see the film with a non-Catholic friend who is just really interested in the Camino, and she absolutely loved it as well. When the group was walking on a really precarious path through the Picos de Europa, my friend leaned over and said "THAT'S on the Camino??!" (It's not!) :rolleyes:

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe or Gaztelugache, is a few miles off the Norte, the closest point might be Gernika/Guernica. It is pretty much off the beaten track, you would have to walk approx 45 minutes from the car park to the place itself. As far as I know, there are no buses that go along that remote coastline, so it might be a matter of taxi... Amazing place, near the huge concrete skeleton of the lemoniz nuclear powerstation that was never finished... one of the eeriest places I have ever seen.

Thank you for the reply. I find your information very important. When someone is planing such information come it handy. When you are counting minutes to take the bus if there is such a need or you don't want to stay till it will be dark to Gaztelugatxe.

Have a nice day

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the reply. I find your information very important. When someone is planing such information come it handy. When you are counting minutes to take the bus if there is such a need or you don't want to stay till it will be dark to Gaztelugatxe.

Have a nice day

Actually, I believe it is a 3 km walk from Bakio along the ocast, and Bakio is a small town that should have some bus service from capital Bilbao. I am actually hoping to go to Gaztelugatxe myself next weekend!

Actually, I believe it is a 3 km walk from Bakio along the ocast, and Bakio is a small town that should have some bus service from capital Bilbao. I am actually hoping to go to Gaztelugatxe myself next weekend!

Lucky you, @amancio - please let us know how it goes!

I did a little research on transport options as I'm hoping to visit this place in May. There are regular buses from Bilbao to Bakio - here's some information that might be useful. There's also a separate summer timetable. According to google maps it's a 7 km walk from Bakio. It seems to be well signposted and at least some of the walk is off-road (from what I can gather from photographs & blogs).

You can also go from Gernikia, by taking a bus or train to Bermeo. However, this involves a longer walk (10.8kms) on what appears to be a busy road.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lucky you, @amancio - please let us know how it goes!

I did a little research on transport options as I'm hoping to visit this place in May. There are regular buses from Bilbao to Bakio - here's some information that might be useful. There's also a separate summer timetable. According to google maps it's a 7 km walk from Bakio. It seems to be well signposted and at least some of the walk is off-road (from what I can gather from photographs & blogs).

You can also go from Gernikia, by taking a bus or train to Bermeo. However, this involves a longer walk (10.8kms) on what appears to be a busy road.

Wow, a 7 km walk means 14 km return... it is about twice as much as I thought, I am not sure my daughter will be so happy to walk that much!

I have seen this in Wikiloc, just below 8 km return, in theory

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=10498854

Last edited:
Wow, a 7 km walk means 14 km return... it is about twice as much as I thought, I am not sure my daughter will be so happy to walk that much!

I have seen this in Wikiloc, just below 8 km return, in theory

https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=10498854
The wikiloc distances definitely sound more promising! The google maps estimations are based on the roads, so it seems that the off-road trails provide a shorter walking route. I'm very pleased to learn that, as I'll probably do this as an afternoon side-trip, following a longer walk.
Good luck - hopefully the weather will be kind to you and your daughter!

Edit - might the wikiloc distances be miles, rather than kilometres?

Last edited:
Hi Nuala, it is 4.9 miles in the wikiloc page, so it is about 8 km, I would say. I hope I can make it this weekend, I still have a 900 km drive in between!

Let us know how it goes. I was in Bilbao on Sunday and spent the day in Portugalette. I would loved to have done this walk. I will be back in April so hopefully I can try it then.

The wikiloc distances definitely sound more promising! The google maps estimations are based on the roads, so it seems that the off-road trails provide a shorter walking route. I'm very pleased to learn that, as I'll probably do this as an afternoon side-trip, following a longer walk.
Good luck - hopefully the weather will be kind to you and your daughter!

Edit - might the wikiloc distances be miles, rather than kilometres?

I'm keeping an eye on this option, too, so hope to hear lots about it. Nuala, if you compare the google maps walk with the wikilocs tracks, you'll see that google takes you on the road (or at least mine does) and it is a lot bigger loop than the tracks that seem to hug the coast and must be on a pedestrian path. Looks lovely!!!

Hi Nuala, it is 4.9 miles in the wikiloc page, so it is about 8 km, I would say. I hope I can make it this weekend, I still have a 900 km drive in between!
Apologies @amancio, I didn't read your post properly. I see now that it's 4.9 miles in total, rather than 4.9 miles each way. That's a perfect little side-trip, even after a long morning of walking,

€83,-
No need to apologize, amiga! On Monday, hopefully, I will make it there with my Irish wife and let you know which figures are correct, I see many different figures all over.

On Monday, hopefully, I will make it there with my Irish wife and let you know which figures are correct, I see many different figures all over.

So excited to hear your report Amancio!

bummer, I was not able to make it at the end, Sunday on Bilbao, but the family decided to start travelling back to the South (800km by car) on Monday, so I had to give it a miss. I did manage to go to Zumaia, Zarautz and Getaria on a gorgeous sunny Carnival Saturday, but San Juan de Gaztelugatxe was out of target for me, sorry!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So we went to Gaztelugatxe as you can see from the picture above it was a busy day!

We took a local bus 3518 from downtown Bilbao to Bakio on the coast and due to my iffy back, took a taxi to the village about 1.1km about Gaztelugatxe. (The parking lot)

Then we took the shorter winding path down (with many stairs) approx 1.5km, and the 241 steps up the other side, and had a picnic on the top. We walked back the longer (3-4km, road route, I had pulled my back while in Ireland and had residual pain on stairs, so the high steps on the short cut climbing back up the hill may have been a problem. I would recommend the road down, for anyone who's knees don't appreciate the higher stair. (You get to the parking lot and keep walking to the NW and you will see the road path going down.)

We both rang the bell and made our wishes, probably for a helicopter to lift us back up the hill to the village.

It was wonderful day, crowds and all, and no back pain so that was a plus! I found extra info on the EuskoGuide - link is below.

Kathy

EuskoGuide tells us:
The climb down the hill, across the bridge and up to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a small adventure that will handsomely reward you with truly impressive views. The ocean can be particular rough in this area and the waves really crash against the rocks of the island, adding to its awe-inspiring beauty. If you think it looks cool in the photos, just wait till you experience it in person.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, whose name means “castle rock” in Basque (“gaztelu” = castle + “aitz” = rock), is a definite “must” if you are visiting the Basque Country. It is an island located just off the shore along the Bay of Biscay, 35 km east from Bilbao. The island is cone-shaped and features a tiny church on its highest point that is dedicated to John the Baptist. Although not proven, it has been said that he even set foot on the island.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is connected to the mainland by a man-made stone bridge. The bridge transitions into a narrow path that contains 241 steps and zigzags its way back and forth to the top. Once there, you will find the church which has a bell situated along the front of its facade. According to legend, after you have completed the climb, you should ring the bell three times and make a wish.

http://www.euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/spain/san-juan-de-gaztelugatxe/

Last edited:
Thanks for the post.

Gaztelugatxe is on my to go list.

Meanwhile on 22 of may 2017 I go with my girlfriend do https://www.caminolebaniego.com/inicio

thil 3 of june. I am so happy about it.

So we went to Gaztelugatxe as you can see from the picture above it was a busy day!

We took a local bus 3518 from downtown Bilbao to Bakio on the coast and due to my iffy back, took a taxi to the village about 1.1km about Gaztelugatxe.
Then we took the path down, and the 241 steps up, and had a picnic on the top. We walked back the longer, road route, I had pulled my back while in Ireland and had residual pain on stairs, so the high steps on the short cut climbing back up the hill may have been a problem.

We both rang the bell and made our wishes, probably for a helicopter to lift us back up the hill to the village.

It was wonderful day, crowds and all, and no back pain so that was a plus! I found extra info on the EuskoGuide - link is below.

Kathy

EuskoGuide tells us:
The climb down the hill, across the bridge and up to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a small adventure that will handsomely reward you with truly impressive views. The ocean can be particular rough in this area and the waves really crash against the rocks of the island, adding to its awe-inspiring beauty. If you think it looks cool in the photos, just wait till you experience it in person.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, whose name means “castle rock” in Basque (“gaztelu” = castle + “aitz” = rock), is a definite “must” if you are visiting the Basque Country. It is an island located just off the shore along the Bay of Biscay, 35 km east from Bilbao. The island is cone-shaped and features a tiny church on its highest point that is dedicated to John the Baptist. Although not proven, it has been said that he even set foot on the island.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is connected to the mainland by a man-made stone bridge. The bridge transitions into a narrow path that contains 241 steps and zigzags its way back and forth to the top. Once there, you will find the church which has a bell situated along the front of its facade. According to legend, after you have completed the climb, you should ring the bell three times and make a wish.

http://www.euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/spain/san-juan-de-gaztelugatxe/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It is a very busy road and not a great shoulder, we were very happy we didn't walk on the road to the parking lot. (We took a taxi)

Thanks for the post.

Gaztelugatxe is on my to go list.

Meanwhile on 22 of may 2017 I go with my girlfriend do https://www.caminolebaniego.com/inicio

thil 3 of june. I am so happy about it.

It is a very busy road and not a great shoulder, we were very happy we didn't walk on the road to the parking lot. (We took a taxi)

Its funny that I'm reading these posts today ....... can you guess where I am right now?
IMG_0685.JPG

I'll do a post with all of the travel details when I get home.

Happy Monday everyone!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's very quiet here today - so peaceful. I'm sitting on the rocks and enjoying the sound of the ocean.
Enjoy! It is a spectacular site! As I find my cheapest flights from Vancouver to Bilbao I will probably get to go there again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.