• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear for afternoons and evenings after walking.

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
I am planning to walk CF Burgos to Santiago, starting in the week of 20 April, and probably taking a month. Last year I took lightweight flip-flops for Roncesvalles to Burgos, and they were fine (I loved that you could always recognise fellow pilgrims in the evenings by their flip-flops and stiff gait!). But that was mostly in a warm September. I'm concerned about having cold/wet feet in the spring evenings. Whatever I take must be light as I need to keep pack weight below 5 kilos.
Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? I'm in the UK.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Twice now I've taken New Balance slip-on knit runners to wear in the evenings as I don't like flip flops. They weigh next to nothing, breathe well, and are flexible enough to compress to take up less space in my pack.

NB knit runners

Unless you are very used to long distance day in and day out walking I highly recommend that your second pair of footwear be something like a hiking sandal that you can wear on the Camino if you encounter any problem at all with your primary footwear.
I have met pilgrims who were able to continue and finish their Caminos because they had sandals to walk in.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't say enough good things about the EVA Birkenstocks (aka "Birkencrocs"), which are very lightweight and provide better support for me than flip-flops or Crocs do.

I can't say enough good things about the EVA Birkenstocks (aka "Birkencrocs"), which are very lightweight and provide better support for me than flip-flops or Crocs do.

You can often find knock off EVA Birkenstocks in discount stores. I picked up a pair on sale for $5 last year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have a look in Decathlon for Areeta shoes. P/N 2037427. 250g a pair, can be worn as either shoes or slip on mules for the shower. I'm off to do the CP in 2 weeks and these looked like they'd replace a pair of flip flops AND evening shoes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning to walk CF Burgos to Santiago, starting in the week of 20 April, and probably taking a month. Last year I took lightweight flip-flops for Roncesvalles to Burgos, and they were fine (I loved that you could always recognise fellow pilgrims in the evenings by their flip-flops and stiff gait!). But that was mostly in a warm September. I'm concerned about having cold/wet feet in the spring evenings. Whatever I take must be light as I need to keep pack weight below 5 kilos.
Do have a less than 5 Kg packing list???

I have taken the regular looking Crocs on two occasions, but last time, I took the flat "ballerina type crocs", very light and can wear them in the shower if necessary, can fit my orthotics in them, and wear them with my Macabi skirt and they don't look as dorky as the clunky regular type crocs. Works for me.

I have a pair of Crocs that look similar to those EVA Birks mentioned above that I brought with me on the CP last March. I'm not a big fan of traditional Crocs, but the ones I have were such a godsend in the evenings. They actually provide a good amount of support and look a little classier than typical flip flops. Plus they're super light and can squish flat.

Crocs Women's Sexi Flip https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003YBWNCA/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another approach is to not take extra footwear for wear after the end of the walking day.

I never take extra shoes, sandals etc. The shoes I use are comfortable to walk in, and they remain comfortable for after walking.

AT the end of the walking day, I will take out my walking insoles, use some toilet tissue to quickly wipe out any moisture and grime, and put in my extra insoles (they are actually the ones that come with the shoes and weight next to nothing).

After showering, I will change into the socks I will wear the next day for walking, and put my shoes back on. A lot of the time, I will loosen much of the tension in the laces so that there is little snugness.

At bedtime, my walking insoles are placed - with my socks - on top of my shoes. In the morning, I just grab my already packed backpack, shoes and socks and insoles, and walk out of the dorm area. In the common area I put on my shoes, stow my evening insoles inside the main outside pocket of the backpack, and take off.

Here is a picture of the type of ultralight weight DIY sandals I have used before, in campsites, at the end of a day while wilderness backpacking. Made with 100 mph tape (a heavy duty duct tape) and a single sheet of closed cell foam. For those who want something good enough for showers, and for chores around the alburgue :)

1578764510473.png

G
Another approach is to not take extra footwear for wear after the end of the walking day.

I never take extra shoes, sandals etc. The shoes I use are comfortable to walk in, and they remain comfortable for after walking.

AT the end of the walking day, I will take out my walking insoles, use some toilet tissue to quickly wipe out any moisture and grime, and put in my extra insoles (they are actually the ones that come with the shoes and weight next to nothing).

After showering, I will change into the socks I will wear the next day for walking, and put my shoes back on. A lot of the time, I will loosen much of the tension in the laces so that there is little snugness.

At bedtime, my walking insoles are placed - with my socks - on top of my shoes. In the morning, I just grab my already packed backpack, shoes and socks and insoles, and walk out of the dorm area. In the common area I put on my shoes, stow my evening insoles inside the main outside pocket of the backpack, and take off.

Here is a picture of the type of ultralight weight DIY sandals I have used before, in campsites, at the end of a day while wilderness backpacking. Made with 100 mph tape (a heavy duty duct tape) and a single sheet of closed cell foam. For those who want something good enough for showers, and for chores around the alburgue :)

View attachment 68463
Great advice as usual thank you Dave Bugg.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another vote for Skechers. Extremely light and comfortable. Not good in the shower though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you were ok with flip flops, stick with it. They’re light! It won’t be that cold? (dunno, never walked the CF in April!) but don’t think it would be that bad...
i myself always take walking sandals (Merrell or Teva) because I have been known to twist my ankle in flip flops (in my own garden 🙄) .
They weigh a bit more (400g) but I can walk long distances in them , if needed 😎
My walking partner only ever wore flip flops, Summer or depth of Winter 😳 Your call.

Thank you for your interesting and very helpful replies. Think I shall be shopping with a set of scales, as hardly any footwear company quotes weights. Will certainly check out your suggestions.
Dave Bugg: love your camp sandals. But I can't see myself (short elderly female) trotting out to the bar in the evening in my trusty walking boots, or slipping them on for a midnight trip to the loo!
SYates: thank you for the reminder about the Chinese shops. One did me very proud, after I realised that my single bra that I thought would dry overnight, didn't! I could always set off with my old flip-flops and see how it goes, knowing that I'm bound to find something else if the weather dictates.
SimonB: lots of very light packing lists on this forum, but basically 2x long sleeved blouses, 2x trousers, 1x warm layer, 1x rainjacket and trousers, 3x socks, 3x pants (underwear), silk sleeping bag and sleeping shirt, down quilt, pack towel. And minimal toiletries and meds. Weighed everything. I saw so many people with huge packs and medical kits. You are never that far from a pharmacy, and even in quite small places there are often self-service pharmacy machines, well stocked with things a pilgrim might need.
Domigee: I did wonder whether a pair of toesocks to be worn with the flip-flops might work for cold evenings.
AnnieSantiago: a particular thank you for taking the trouble to reply to a rookie question in the midst of your current "challenges". I hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

And they float. Not a Camino priority but, buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are wise to consider that the weather will be different in April. My first Camino was in September and I took sandals. The second Camino was in April and it was wet and cold and my sandals didn't work. My feet froze. My boots needed to dry out so I couldn't wear those either. I ended up having to buy shoes on the trail. On subsequent spring Caminos I have taken the lightest pair of sneakers I could find. The few ounces extra were worth their weight in gold on the cold wet days.

Took Crocs my last 2 Caminos, a rainy April in Portugal and a hot Sept. on the CF. I find them comfy with socks in the evening or to go sightseeing and they work great in the shower.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have always detested the look of Crocs, but I finally bought a pair to take while walking the CP in January, and they’re probably the most important thing in my pack. I wear them in the shower, because the unheated tile floors are freezing, and then put on wool socks to wear with them around the albergue/to dinner or breakfast. Having gotten blisters from my hiking boots already on Day 1, it’s so nice to have something breathable to put on after the day’s walk!
If you are in the US, I got mine on sale from 6pm.com, which does list the weights of all their footwear.

I really want to know how you could stay under 5 kg. Sorry it’s not really an answer to your question.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.