Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Footwear for the Salvador

WestKirsty

Year of past OR future Camino
Del Norte (July 2016)
De San Salvador (August 2017)
After having an amazing time on the Norte and Primitivo last summer, I'm hoping to walk the Salvador this August. Thanks for all who have posted route options etc.! It has been really useful!

I haven't read much about footwear for this route. Is the terrain much different from the Primitivo? I have read in the guides that boots are recommended and I'm wondering if they are necessary? I've done the other Caminos and other walks in hiking shoes (water-proof merrells) and am hoping they will suffice for this route as well.

Thanks in advance :)

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

norelle

Camino Frances (2011 April, 2014 March) San Salvador, Primitivo, Finisterre, Muxia (June 2015) Del Norte (Sept/Oct 2016)
Hi Kirsty,

I wore light weight mid boots when I walked the Salvador. They were fine.

In my opinion, your hiking shoes would be fine too (sort of like the Hospitales option on the Primitivo). There was a fair bit of mud on the 3rd and 4th days so maybe consider some light gaiters to keep the mud out of your shoes!

The Salvador was beautiful! Enjoy!

buen camino

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
You'll be fine in hiking shoes. Even sandals if you're so inclined.

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
Hiking shoes were not suitable for me on the Primitivo. If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or tendinitis I'd recommend you look at light weight hiking boots. Loved having waterproof shoes, though. They saved me from wet feet on many days along with my nylon gators.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances