• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear Ideas

Beth-o

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
I've got great hiking boots and am thinking of packing some New Balance shoes for a change. Considering weight, should I just take some flip flops for the shower? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Beth,
I would take a pair of light trainers if your pack weight allows, as its very nice to have a change of footwear for off trail times.
As to flipflops yes I think they are essential to avoid all sorts of nasties on shower floors. It may be possible to combine both functions Crocs? never tried them myself!
Regards
George

Hi Beth,
I would take a pair of light trainers if your pack weight allows, as its very nice to have a change of footwear for off trail times.
As to flipflops yes I think they are essential to avoid all sorts of nasties on shower floors. It may be possible to combine both functions Crocs? never tried them myself!
Regards
George
Thanks, George, and anyone else who responds. Beth

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used crocs for the shower and to go around the town/village in the afternoon/ evening to shop etc before dinner and bed. Save on the weight if you can. It makes such a difference.
Annie

Why not sandals?

You can also use them for walking some parts of the way.

Best Regards
Diogo

If you want to take a second pair of shoes, it makes sense to take something you can walk in as an alternative to boots. On some surfaces, some sandals or trainers can provide a bit of a respite or blister relief from walking in boots. If that isn't the purpose of a second sent of footwear, they should just be as light as possible for roaming around town. Even flip-flops can do this. Three pairs? Overkill.. MHO...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Keen waterproof "Whisper" sandals. Waterproof for showers, can walk in them on the trail, with or without socks is a BIG plus too. Not as light as Crocs, but better as a trail alternative me thinks.

I carried some reef sandals that did for shower and for a change out of boots. Every ounce counts. Though I gather New Balance are fairly lightweight imagine wearing them and carrying your boots...:(

I took Crocs and my daughter took Keens for our apres-boots footwear.
This go round I have a pair of Patagonia Advocate shoes.
shoes_iaec1355572.jpg

These are 119 g (4.2 oz) and should be great for the trip. But I may still bring the crocs instead only because they can be used in the shower.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I plan to take a pair of Salomon TechAmphibian shoes as my 'evening dress shoes'. Light weight and the mesh allows them to be used in the shower as well. As a vanity issue, the enclosed toes are a major bonus. I can wear socks with sandals - just, but would prefer to avoid that look!

Regards

I brought sandals.
I used them in town and in the albergues. I even wore them one day (yes, with socks) to walk the Camino when my toes demanded some fresh air and quasi-sunshine. The look was . . . awkward . . . but the comfort level was ahhhhhhh. :rolleyes:
They were from Quechua. I didn't think they would last - they weren't designed for any kind of hiking and I bought them because they were cheap - but they did!
As with all the clothes I brought on the Camino, my sandals hold a sacred place in my closet "Hall of Fame."

I brought sandals.
I used them in town and in the albergues. I even wore them one day (yes, with socks) to walk the Camino when my toes demanded some fresh air and quasi-sunshine. The look was . . . awkward . . . but the comfort level was ahhhhhhh. :rolleyes:
They were from Quechua. I didn't think they would last - they weren't designed for any kind of hiking and I bought them because they were cheap - but they did!
As with all the clothes I brought on the Camino, my sandals hold a sacred place in my closet "Hall of Fame."
Me too. Although there are some really comfy, lightweight closed-in shoes for "afterwalk", I desperately crave air and sunshine on my toes, so sandals also for me..
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wore my wonderful Scarpa boots for the Camino and took a pair or Teva Toachi sandals. They were great for walking around town, evening wear and shower footwear. Yes, on some chilly evenings, I wore socks, but with long pants the look wasn't too bad. The two pairs were sufficient.
Blessings.

Whats this with the "look"? Sock / sandal combination? Thats what my Dad, all his Army chums and every other bugger would have worn in their time. Its what i'll wear on a cold night / get out of boots night. The Beloved knits wool socks of Jacob's coat colours and i wear them with pride , not shame. You are on Camino, not catwalk: hey, who knows, it may be that the sandal / sock combi will be de rigueur on next seasons camino... get yer socks out; flaunt 'em :D

I took those plastic/rubber scuffs and found them ok.
But now I've found some very lightweight trainers made of neoprene (wetsuit material).
They are black with fluorescent green sole and laces.
Apart from the fact they will enable me to be found more easily when I get lost on the Route Napoleon, I am going to cut a dashing figure in September!
Regds
Gerard

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.