• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear in the Pyrenees

Camino25

Hi
I'm starting my first camino next week and am watching the weather in the Pyrenees! I was wondering if a proper walking boots are required there at the moment or would a walking shoe suffice? Any other info regarding gear would be appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you plan in using your walking shoes for the remainder of the walk, use them. There is no need for technical footwear for the road up to Roncesvalles since the walking is done along roads most of the way.

Thank you for your reply. I gather from previous posts that there is some snow in the Pyrenees at the moment...does anyone have an update on this?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll see you on the Camino. I am starting next week on June 9th from SJPP. Can't wait!

I hear you! I just posted a few minutes before you did to hear if someone had an update about the weather. I haven't seen anything in the last few days. It could change quite a bit in just a week but Pamplona is still only around 14 during the day, down to 4 or so at night, as far as I could tell from the weather network.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It seems very changeable so gonna have to pack for all types of weather!! Just worried about footwear if there's lots of snow!

I just did it today along with two others. We had our arms locked the entire way. Severe severe wind/hail/rain. Scary thing is that there is no way of predicting when the next gush of wind will hit you. And I'm sure you'll have your camping bag, which will make it impossible to gain control when that wind hits you.

You have to absolutely absolutely have to have a solid boots, thick raincoat, waterproof everything especial from waist below (my entire body and my foot was wet wet. And this made it very very difficult. I didn't have the proper gear - fleece... Waterproof jacket... Waterproof pant... Etc).

You think going up the steep mountain will be tough? How about going down? I thought my knees were about to give away. Very slippery (mudd, long grass, and constant water flows from pouring rain) and from all that walking, you legs are already so tired...

I wouldn't have survived without the two other pilgrims. We locked our arms... Shared our last piece of chocolate... And most importantly we worked well together.

If you are alone: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

if you have partners without proper gears: DON'T.

if you have partners with awesome gears: PRAY AND THINK REAL HARD.

I'm not encouraging or discouraging. Just sharing what I went through and my opinion.

Btw no snow on the actual road today. But very very cold. And when your feet get wet (trust me they will get wet after a few kms walk) it is unbearable! I'd much rather prefer snow over pouring rain because your entire body will get wet. And the rain comes in all direction! And they hurt because of the crazy wind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for your reply... On my way to repack after your message!!! Proper walking boots are a definite now! Did you walk all the way to Roncesvalles? Have you heard what the next section towards Pamplona is like at the moment?

Wow...I'm hoping that the wind dies down. You were very lucky to have fellow pilgrims in this unpredictable weather and supporting each other. After reading the last 2 weeks of post, I had to go find a few other pieces of gear to keep me warm especially in rainy weather so I may need to add rain pants too. Back to packing and praying!

The only reason for boots would be for walking on rough terrain or through snow or mud. You would want the additional ankle support for carrying a heavy pack.

Apparently the snow is gone from the route surface at least. Most of the route is either on paved or metalled road surface. Conditions may be wet or muddy today but tomorrow ... who knows?

Same same for weather ... in the mountains weather is variable ... calm and sunny this morning does not mean calm and sunny this afternoon and vice versa.

Finally, there are 3 mountain passes on this camino and Route Napoleon is not the highest pass. The only thing different about Route Napoleon is the distances involved.

Worst that happens is your shoes get wet. If you wear boots and they get wet .. it takes longer to dry.

The main thing is that you wear footwear that is broken in and fits right. Doesn't matter if that is boots or shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We went from SJPdP to Roncesvalles via Valcarlos on May 20th and 21st of this year. We had rain both days. The second half of the section between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles is a long, steep uphill, mostly on dirt and grass and some small rocks. I had no problems with grip or stability in my running shoes, even in the rain, and without walking sticks. The main problem I had was cold water getting in my shoes towards the end.

If you think you'll be in the rain, I'd say worry less about the type of shoe or the sole it has, and more about water getting in. Or just let your feet get wet -- it's temporary, and your feet and legs will probably stay warm enough from all the hiking that it won't really be a problem if you can change shoes and socks once you get to Roncesvalles (mine were fine, anyway). Make sure you always have a complete set of dry clothing to change into at the end of the day though.

BTW, we split the long stage in two parts and stayed the night in Valcarlos, and were really glad we did. We had a bit of jetlag still, and anyway it's just a long, tiring uphill section that's a lot easier if you haven't already walked from SJPdP to Valcarlos the same day.

I just posted a summary of what worked and what didn't with our gear, so feel free to check that out on our blog at the link below.

Russell
http://www.farofflands.com/camino/

"Be kind to your kness, you going to miss them when they are gone" the man said. Boots boots boots. You are planning an 850 kilometer walk through mountains, mud, water, up down pavement and rocks. Sure you can do it in shoes even trekking sandals, you will also pay the price, not now but later we think we are indestructible until we are not. To quote the man again "trust me on this one".

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back