• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear inquiry for the Pyrenees section

Nath

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned start is May 3, 2017 via Camino Frances
¡Hola! I am planning to do the Camino Frances at the end of April finishing around June 20th and I am wondering what footwear is best for the Pyrenees section. From the info provided, it is quite a challenging section and very steep which will probably require a good support for the ankles. That said, the rest of the route seems to be manageable with hiking shoes at the exception of sections with steep descents. I am used to hike with somewhat heavy Asolo Goretex boots, which I used to trek in Nepal, climb Kilimanjaro and a few multi day hikes in BC, Canada. As I have week ankle and knees and yet to get fit before then, I am wondering if I shall used those boots for the Pyrenees and switch to hiking shoes after that. I am also guessing that it will be pretty wet and muddy on that time of year so boots can be useful. A friend of mine did the Camino Norte last year and she had hiking shoes that worked really well - same hiking shoes I also wear for easier terrain. That said, both routes have different terrain and elevation and my pack will be a good 5 to 6 kilo less then what I am accustomed to. I am looking forward to that ;-), . Also, I will not be racing it so I will be walking at a slow paste and intend to do the Pyrenees in 3 days not 1. If all goes well with knees perhaps 2 days but I prefer to be conservative in my calculation and from my experience. I welcome tips and ideas. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
These are what I used Light walking low cut shoes and Ecco closed toe sandals 4 Summer Caminos c100 walking days IMG_7912.JPG

Hi @Nath !

Footwear is one of the biggest disagreements amongst Camino walkers. I personally like good solid leather boots and use them for all my walking - including everyday wear at home. Others like shoes, some like sandals. No one-size-fits-all answer. Your experience sounds pretty wide and you must already have a good idea of what suits you. What I would suggest is that whatever you eventually decide give them a good realistic test: a couple of full days walking (not necessarily consecutively) wearing the socks you plan to use and the weight you mean to carry. Up and down some decent hills if you can find them. Then wear them around town, at work, anywhere you can. If you are going to have problems with footwear better to find out early and at home when it is easier to sort them out.

Enjoy your camino - ultreia!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Bradypus for the quick reply and inputs. Indeed it is much an individual choice. I was mainly wondering for the Pyrenees stage and in April. BYW, pretty impressive Camino walks records you have. My Asolo leather boots won't do on the concrete or pavements they are way too sturdy for that and are made for the mountains. As for the weight I am aiming under 9 kilo. I will be shopping perhaps for light boots with some ankle support. Thanks again.

These are what I used Light walking low cut shoes and Ecco closed toe sandals 4 Summer Caminos c100 walking days View attachment 31175

Thanks for the picture. I see that the Pyrenees are doable with hiking shoes. Hope it will be suitable for April as well. Congrats on your Caminos.

@Nath it is steeply inclined but there is no scrambling or rock - it is either a minor road, or a footpath. The last section down into Roncesvalles is through a beech forrest and the trail is quite steep and can be slippery with leaves, but soft underfoot. There is a minor road alternative.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Nath. For the past three years my choice in boots has been very basic: builders safety boots. Not very heavy, good protection to soles, ankles and toes. I replace the insoles with mid-price gel inserts. A low cost solution that works for me. I walked the Ingles, the Primitivo and the Via Francigena in a pair which cost 30 euro and only gave up the ghost in the last 3 days into Rome. The Camino Frances is not a very technically demanding walk - your footwear can be relatively simple but it needs to fit you and your walking style.

@Nath it is steeply inclined but there is no scrambling or rock - it is either a minor road, or a footpath. The last section down into Roncesvalles is through a beech forrest and the trail is quite steep and can be slippery with leaves, but soft underfoot. There is a minor road alternative.
Thanks Kanga. Looking at a graph, it looks like the descent is approximately 5 km. Am I guessing right?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Muchas gracias Mark. This video is awesome and shows the terrain really well. I am very pleased that I do not need two sets of shoes for the walk.
Thank you all for your posts I now got my answer. Salud!

Hello Nath,
I used Keen Voyageurs for my last camino and loved them. They are lightweight, mid-height boot with a large toe box. They are not waterproof, which I chose to reduce the chance of blisters from sweaty feet. (Gortex boots feel way too hot on my feet). I swapped out the insoles for green Superfeet as I have high arches that need support. Although my boots got wet from rain and stepping in puddles, they dried quickly. I never noticed they were wet when I put them on each morning. I have a tendency to roll my ankles when I step on uneven ground. Thankfully, I have yet to do it while wearing these boots in over 1,000 kms.

As for weak knees, I wear Mueller's Jumper's Knee Straps preventively and have yet to suffer any knee problems. I was always amazed to see how many peligrinos were limping at the end of the day, reminiscent of marathon runners after the race. If you already know you have bad knees, I would definitely check them out. On several occasions, I lent mine out to fellow walkers who were in pain and they said they helped. Unfortunately for them, I have never seen them sold anywhere along the camino.

I wouldn't recommend bringing two pairs of boots as I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight and I don't think it's necessary. Crossing the Pyrenees may sound daunting, but it's very doable. While some take two days to get from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles, the majority do it in one day. It's a long uphill haul, but I didn't feel that the grade was unbearable. Actually, I found the downhill harder on my body. Next time, I plan on taking the road detour that heads into Roncevalles that apparently is less steep.

I hope this is helpful as you plan your adventure. Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Steep yes, but not technical at all. A lot of it is tarmac, the rest a well walked on dirt path. Regular treking runners will do. I have used Salomon Ultra2GTX as well as Hoka One One Bondies.

Steep yes, but not technical at all. A lot of it is tarmac, the rest a well walked on dirt path. Regular treking runners will do. I have used Salomon Ultra2GTX as well as Hoka One One Bondies.

Thanks. Time to go shopping. My current Merrell are unfortunately too small and narrow. I guess this is true what they say about aging and growing feet ;-).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Nath,
I used Keen Voyageurs for my last camino and loved them. They are lightweight, mid-height boot with a large toe box. They are not waterproof, which I chose to reduce the chance of blisters from sweaty feet. (Gortex boots feel way too hot on my feet). I swapped out the insoles for green Superfeet as I have high arches that need support. Although my boots got wet from rain and stepping in puddles, they dried quickly. I never noticed they were wet when I put them on each morning. I have a tendency to roll my ankles when I step on uneven ground. Thankfully, I have yet to do it while wearing these boots in over 1,000 kms.

As for weak knees, I wear Mueller's Jumper's Knee Straps preventively and have yet to suffer any knee problems. I was always amazed to see how many peligrinos were limping at the end of the day, reminiscent of marathon runners after the race. If you already know you have bad knees, I would definitely check them out. On several occasions, I lent mine out to fellow walkers who were in pain and they said they helped. Unfortunately for them, I have never seen them sold anywhere along the camino.

I wouldn't recommend bringing two pairs of boots as I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight and I don't think it's necessary. Crossing the Pyrenees may sound daunting, but it's very doable. While some take two days to get from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles, the majority do it in one day. It's a long uphill haul, but I didn't feel that the grade was unbearable. Actually, I found the downhill harder on my body. Next time, I plan on taking the road detour that heads into Roncevalles that apparently is less steep.

I hope this is helpful as you plan your adventure. Buen camino!

Hello BShea,
Yes, your post is very useful. Thank you for the tips for the Mueller's Jumper's Knee Straps. I will look them up. I have not been very successful with strap or knee brace thus far but maybe those are the ones. I was planning to bring insole and replacement as well. If they get wet than I can start with dry ones. I have been very lucky thus far as I never suffered from blister in all the long hikes I have done and the half-marathons I ran and walked. I guess having knee and Morton neuroma is enough. I Laugh at your comment about runners after a race as I have been there ;-) but no longer ;-(. Now it is the journey for me and not the time it takes. Now that I have many inputs and saw a few videos, I think it will be doable in two days vs 3 but my knees will decide of that. I rather take longer but finishing it. I will definitely not bring 2 pairs now. The hiking shoes and closed toe keen sandals will be enough. Cheers!

Speaking of Merrells... I wore a pair of theor sandals similar to these when I walked from SJPP to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route. Mind you, not pink! :oops:

http://www.merrell.com/CA/en_CA/cap...or=J35500#cgid=women-footwear-sandals&start=1
I like those. They seem to have a rocking front. That would be perfect and great to aerate the feet. How was the Napoleon Route? I read that it is more spectacular so I would like to take that one. Thanks for sharing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How was the Napoleon Route? I read that it is more spectacular so I would like to take that one.
Have the people who said this walked both, or are they just saying what they have heard? I have only walked the Napoleon, so I can't compare. However, I believe that the spectacular-ness lies more in the exhilaration of the day and you will find that on either route.

¡Hola! I am planning to do the Camino Frances at the end of April finishing around June 20th and I am wondering what footwear is best for the Pyrenees section. From the info provided, it is quite a challenging section and very steep which will probably require a good support for the ankles. That said, the rest of the route seems to be manageable with hiking shoes at the exception of sections with steep descents. I am used to hike with somewhat heavy Asolo Goretex boots, which I used to trek in Nepal, climb Kilimanjaro and a few multi day hikes in BC, Canada. As I have week ankle and knees and yet to get fit before then, I am wondering if I shall used those boots for the Pyrenees and switch to hiking shoes after that. I am also guessing that it will be pretty wet and muddy on that time of year so boots can be useful. A friend of mine did the Camino Norte last year and she had hiking shoes that worked really well - same hiking shoes I also wear for easier terrain. That said, both routes have different terrain and elevation and my pack will be a good 5 to 6 kilo less then what I am accustomed to. I am looking forward to that ;-), . Also, I will not be racing it so I will be walking at a slow paste and intend to do the Pyrenees in 3 days not 1. If all goes well with knees perhaps 2 days but I prefer to be conservative in my calculation and from my experience. I welcome tips and ideas. Thank you.

I was with the first group to cross the Napoleon route the 15th of April of last year. Weather permitting it should be open at the end of April.

When you get to Saint Jean I highly recommend that you buy the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide book. It has everything you need and nothing you don't to walk the French way and you can plan shorter days much better with it. Check it out.

There are no accommodations for a 3 day crossing. Day one walk from Saint Jean to Orisson (get a reservation). Day 2 Orisson to Roncesvalles. Your have just crossed the Pyrenees.

I wore high top hiking boots for the entire walk. Just make sure they have low mileage and are broke in. The French way eats boots. The most difficult part was going down Alto del Perdon out of Pamplona. There was a 1 to 2 kilometer section that was very steep and nothing but large river rock. It was a sprained or broken ankle waiting to happen.

By the time you get to the other steep climbs you will be in good shape.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Last edited:
I like those. They seem to have a rocking front. That would be perfect and great to aerate the feet. How was the Napoleon Route? I read that it is more spectacular so I would like to take that one. Thanks for sharing.
The route is steep, but beautiful. At the least the first half going up and the last half going down: it rained and was foggy mid day so I unfortunately missed a bit of the views. It was actually so foggy that I never saw the statue of the Virgin - could hardly see more than 1-2 meters in front of me.

Just take your time, a few steps and rest, a few steps and rest, that's fine. When you get to Orisson order a drink, fill up your water bottle, go to the loo. Bring snacks or a sandwich and when entering Spain have a rest by the fountain amd fill up your bottle again.

The views going up are still some of my favourites, including views of the Norte and Primitivo.

I would recommend walking poles btw.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked both routes. They both have their charms, but I think I actually prefer the Valcarlos route. Less people, very pretty, I liked walking through rich green Basque countryside and farms, beside babbling brooks and through beech forests, and the couple of villages are interesting. It is plenty difficult enough, with a real climb after Valcarlos.

Not a wilderness hike at all and requires no special footwear. A lot of pilgrims walk it in sandals or running shoes.
This video describes it far better than I can.
Wow, what a great "snapshot" of the first leg. It doesn't look too rugged to me. Can't wait. Good weather, I hope....

I only ever do walks in running shows. The section wasn't bad for me because i'm used to going up/down mountains. The hard part is the down on this trail into Roncesvalles. If you're someone who tends to roll ankles you might want a bit more support... but after that the only other hard downhill I remember was just after Pamplona.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Muchas gracias Mark. This video is awesome and shows the terrain really well. I am very pleased that I do not need two sets of shoes for the walk.
Thank you all for your posts I now got my answer. Salud!
Yeah, I've posted that video on here numerous times. Whomever did it, did a good job. It's a bit of a microcosm of the entire Camino Frances as far as terrain, walking surface, etc. Only thing missing really is the flat sections and walks through larger urban areas (Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon).
The video helps dispel a lot of myths and exaggerations about the Camino Frances, especially for the first day.

I've walked both routes. Both are beautiful. Just a matter of choice. The Napoleon is the most popular and is the route in the video.

The route is steep, but beautiful. At the least the first half going up and the last half going down: it rained and was foggy mid day so I unfortunately missed a bit of the views. It was actually so foggy that I never saw the statue of the Virgin - could hardly see more than 1-2 meters in front of me.

Just take your time, a few steps and rest, a few steps and rest, that's fine. When you get to Orisson order a drink, fill up your water bottle, go to the loo. Bring snacks or a sandwich and when entering Spain have a rest by the fountain amd fill up your bottle again.

The views going up are still some of my favourites, including views of the Norte and Primitivo.

I would recommend walking poles btw.
Thank you Anemone. Hiking poles have become an extension of me in the last few years ;-). And yes I intend to take my time not only for the body aches but to take in the view as well and take in the fresh air. Looking forward to walk it.

I only ever do walks in running shows. The section wasn't bad for me because i'm used to going up/down mountains. The hard part is the down on this trail into Roncesvalles. If you're someone who tends to roll ankles you might want a bit more support... but after that the only other hard downhill I remember was just after Pamplona.
Thanks Rometimed, I see that you are one of the "gifted". I am envious. This is how I call hikers that can wear light shoes on some rugged trails and run them as well like if they were on a flat surface. Maybe in another life for me ;-)

I was with the first group to cross the Napoleon route the 15th of April of last year. Weather permitting it should be open at the end of April.

When you get to Saint Jean I highly recommend that you buy the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide book. It has everything you need and nothing you don't to walk the French way and you can plan shorter days much better with it. Check it out.

There are no accommodations for a 3 day crossing. Day one walk from Saint Jean to Orisson (get a reservation). Day 2 Orisson to Roncesvalles. Your have just crossed the Pyrenees.

I wore high top hiking boots for the entire walk. Just make sure they have low mileage and are broke in. The French way eats boots. The most difficult part was going down Alto del Perdon out of Pamplona. There was a 1 to 2 kilometer section that was very steep and nothing but large river rock. It was a sprained or broken ankle waiting to happen.

By the time you get to the other steep climbs you will be in good shape.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails
thanks so much for the tips on accommodation. I misread the list as the "3'rd one is actually at Valcarlos. Great description of the descent down Alto I can now prepare mentally before that section. I walk on those river rock and on a volcanic like rocks at Cathedral Lakes last summer and it was not my favorite section especially after 5 hours of hiking in altitude on steep trails and uneven and sometime unmarked trail - but the view was amazing and the arrival to our campsite as well. Looks like I will have to be extra careful on hiking shoes or wear hiking boots the entire time. I am glad you reply to my inquiry.

Hola Nath - the above 20 or more posts only confirm what was said by poster 2 or 3 - there are as many opinions about "boots/shoes" as there are pilgrims. I gave up recommending brand X over brand Y a couple of years back because what suits my feet and ankles may not suit yours. So my 10 cents is go with what you know and are really comfortable with. Other tips - stop every two or three hours; take off the boots/shoes and socks and let your feet breath/cool down - even just for 15 minutes; second tip - the down hill sections recommend walking poles, especially on those first couple of says as you get your "camino lets/feet"; three - bring a pair of sandals (keen or teva - what ever) to change into at days end, again even after your shower these open footwear allow your feet to dry out - stops blisters.
If you do decide to go to something new - make sure that you have fully broken them in; done your training in them so that you and your feet are really happy with them. Cheers for now - I am starting from St Jean around May first so maybe I will see you on the Camino. Buen Camino.

I'm not sure how this will work out as I have never done it but how about bringing only lightweight shoes but taping or bandaging the ankles for the Pyrennees section.

It's not a mountain climb.
It's a trek, much of it on pavement.
I suggest you wear trail runners unless you have well-broken-in boots.
I've seen more discarded boots than any other shoe.
I've also seen the worst blister on feet that used boots - especially around the ankles.

In the end, it's your decision.
Whatever you choose, be sure they are already well broken in, and have a wide, deep toe box so your feet can swell and your toes can spread.

Thanks Rometimed, I see that you are one of the "gifted". I am envious. This is how I call hikers that can wear light shoes on some rugged trails and run them as well like if they were on a flat surface. Maybe in another life for me ;-)

I think it's practice and balance and I tend to think it's more difficult for taller people to go downhill quickly. I don't have real evidence to back that up, it's just my experience. I've just lived on quite steep hills almost all my life.

No topic: As mentioned the Camino isn't a mountain trek and is mostly on roads. IMO it's more important you are in something comfortable for the 98% rather than the tiny bit off road. Everyone has feet issues on Camino. It's very weird to find someone who doesn't have a foot issue at some point. I probably had about 10 blisters along the way and had a terrible pain in my Achilles for about 6 days from Logrono to Belorado or so.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it's practice and balance and I tend to think it's more difficult for taller people to go downhill quickly. I don't have real evidence to back that up, it's just my experience. I've just lived on quite steep hills almost all my life.

No topic: As mentioned the Camino isn't a mountain trek and is mostly on roads. IMO it's more important you are in something comfortable for the 98% rather than the tiny bit off road. Everyone has feet issues on Camino. It's very weird to find someone who doesn't have a foot issue at some point. I probably had about 10 blisters along the way and had a terrible pain in my Achilles for about 6 days from Logrono to Belorado or so.
Very useful tip. I was heading towards the 98% too.

Nath. I have walked the Camino Frances and Portugues last year. I am 68 and have done a fair bit of trekking in Nepal, PNG, Borneo and China and central Australia. Mate, if you have walked to Base Camp or Annapurna, there is not much in the way of hills on the Camino that will worry you. I am up to about my 4th pair of Keen Targhees with mid ankle support.. They have proven to be the the most comfortable in all conditions and are genuinely waterproof.. There are some sections that you could get away with runners. You will probably catch some rain in Galicia. I am walking to Camino Portgues is late April May.
Buen Camino.

I think the only universally accepted advice would be: have a little extra in your budget to buy new shoes if needed, and DON'T feel like you have to continue wearing uncomfortable shoes because they cost you a lot (my mistake, which resulted in surgery halfway through my hike)

Personally,
-I bought new shoes in SJPDP after 2 months walking Le Puy. I needed shoes one whole size bigger after that much hiking.
-I needed shoes with NO waterproofing, because I'm prone to blisters and sweaty feet. I'd rather have damp feet from the rain once or twice than sweaty painful feet every day.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.