• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear on Le Puy?

Canucks

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances, SJPDP to Santiago (2013), Le Puy to SJPDP (2014), Porto to Santiago (2019)
We finished the camino frances this fall and have just started thinking about what is next. The Le Puy route looks great and we were wondering about the terrain and type of paths. My wife ended up having surprise toe/foot interface pain when wearing her hiking boots. They were very well broken in and there were no previous issues but it turned out horrible until she changed to walking sandals halfway through. However, there were some muddy sections that just wouldn't have been fun without the boots.
How much of the terrain is such that a boot would be best for a September hike? She was thinking about taking a good hiking shoe rather than boot, along with hiking sandals. I had great reaults with my boots and would stick with them.
If there were large rocky trails, extreme wet or mud, or other conditions where a boot is best, that would be good to know.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore a pair of good hiking shoes on the Le Puy route- with some good ankle support, and a very sturdy sole. I didn't feel like I needed boots. There are some quite rocky/uneven bits in the early days of the Le Puy route but in September it hopefully won't be so muddy as in springtime.
Margaret

I always wear hiking shoes (salomon). For me it is the perfect light flexibel shoe in which I never had any blister. But everyone has his own preference in this.
Never I experienced any problem with my shoe, also not in the le Puy route. Also on muddy places no real problem, if there are any it is nearly always to walk along the sides. In those cases I see people with boots doing the same...
My advice: just go, no problem.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Know your feet, I wore walking boots as I don't have strong feet and need ankle support. The paths are very different than on the Frances, more natural earth paths, often through woods and there are some steep, rocky or uneven parts. Also, if carrying a pack, more support is needed. I was very thankful for my boots until after Moissac.

I wore Merrell Moab shoes on the CF. No blisters, no problems. Just great.
I won't be wearing them again.
I'll be wearing mid length or boots. Merrell Moabs again.
I will not take the chance of ankle injury.
It just creates too many dramas.
For me it's just not worth it.
Regds
Gerard

The Aubrac plateau slants in one direction for hours; it will take strong ankles in sandals to constantly fight the tilt!

When it rains, the path can become a pond from fence line to fence line. I recall at least three occasions where that was an actual water walk for a few dozen meters. Trekking poles were quite handy in other stretches where there was footing for just one foot on one side of the trail.

One downhill spot required jumping from one outcropping to another for about eight steps. It was my first jumping in a decade, and I felt it in my ankles for a couple of days! (Growing old is not a graceful process in some cases, so don't give up jogging too soon in life.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is exactly the info I was looking for falcon, and others. I read somewhere that there is more road, or road-adjacent, walking than the frances. However, it is the nasty conditions that one must outfit for, not the good ones, and some of the trail descriptions were perfect.
Boots it is for her! Along with the sandals for the easy stuff.

The problem with the trailbed on the Le Puy route, the half that's east of Moissac especially, is that the French like to follow the Roman way of building footpaths: straight up the hill, and then straight down again. No switchbacks. As a consequence, the water runs straight down the footpath, making it a streambed, with the ensuing erosion and bare stones. The situation can be compounded by erosion caused by off-road motorbikes (which are not prohibited in France, apparently - or not enforced at least). The local Mairie is responsible for trail maintenance, and since the local people are not generally the footpath users, it's not the top of the budget priority list.

Long story short: sturdy footgear will pay off.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie, this question was specifically about the Le Puy route which has some bits quite a lot rougher/rockier underfoot than the Camino Frances. Not sure if you have walked from Le Puy...
Margaret
Oh! Oops!
No, I've walked it only from Lourdes.
Would love to go do the entire route sometime.
Yes, it's a bit rougher, but my New Balance did fine.
There were one or two places that were a bit rocky, but I still didn't feel I needed boots.
Have you walked it?
I doubt if I could find boots to fit my hobbit feet! :eek:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, Annie, I have walked from Le Puy- but not from Lourdes. That section along the Aragones is firmly on my 'might do' list- too many walks too little time, but you never know, one day!
Margaret
PS I don't have hobbit feet- I mostly have to do into men's sizes for walking shoes!!!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back