• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear on the Portuguese

MQB

Time of past OR future Camino
del norte or santiago (2016)
I went to a presentation last night and the young woman wore sneakers aka running shoes for the Camino Frances as well as the entire Appalachian trail! She firmly advised against hiking boots as heavy and blister-prone. I'd like advice given we will be doing the Portuguese and I am a 65 year old woman with not great feet- bunions and flat. Any thoughts appreciated

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think you must appreciate that not everyone has the same needs when it comes to footwear, what is good for one may not suit the other.
I walked in walking shoes and sandals, (I have to say that I didn't consider boots, I felt they might be too hot) but I know people who did the journey in trail runners, it's everyone to their own.

If you have time you might want to try out different footwear for yourself, also remember the socks are as important as the shoes/boots/trail runners.

By the way age has got nothing to do with it, I met some young people who were really suffering from blisters, and older people like myself (67) who only had one small one the whole journey.

I've been reading quite a bit about the Portugese route and it seems as though there is LOT of pavement, and many occasions of large, uneven cobblestones so you might keep that in mind when buying shoes. (Extra cushioning? Firmer soles so as not to feel cobblestones?)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You will definitely benefit from substantial cushioning. The cobble stones will get to you sooner or later, and seek out every tender spot on your feet. I walked in boots in a heatwave in 2014. I had no problem with overheating, but I wished for thicker soles.
Bom caminho!

Just a note - there are many camino paths in Portugal so choice of footwear also depends on which 'Caminho Portuguese’ you’ll be walking. I did the short route from Porto in trail shoes (they look a bit like running shoes) in August but for the CPI (Interior) in October I used my normal trekking (firm/harder sole) shoes. I’d also choose these for the longer route from Lisboa (more time walking, more feet swelling etc). Many factors to take into account as well as the fact that we’re all different.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is completely ones own preference. You can wear what ever works for you. There is a lot of road walking and even more cobble stone walking and they 's get very uncomfortable to walk on. It depends on your feet and ankles, I was surprised on some of the climbs and was thankful for boots but regreted the boots on miles and miles of blacktop. Last spring was very warm and at times I wished for my feet to be more comfortable but my boots protected my feet sufficiently. Entirely ones choice,tthink foot protection first.

Or not. ;-)

Like other forum members have said Cobblend stone is the surface of choice in Portugal. The stones will get to you. You will also walk many miles on the Via Romana. The same roads walked by Roman Legions. I'm 66 and wouldn't dream of wearing running shoes on the caminos. Old feet require more support than young feet. A low or high top boot is the way to go. Actually in rained so much that swim fins would have worked;).

For us walking in Portugal -what we do once or twice a year -is wearing a good quality of walkingboots. Thick soles and cushioned inside. We used the same boots- make Meindl-I think they are German -walking on Island and Scandinavia through lava fields and dirt tracks- Together with first layer panty socks-thin nylon things-and second outer layer, thin walking socks, two of our three caminhos were blisterfree.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It really seems to be a personal choice, but this is my experience. I walked the camino frances in 2014 in trail shoes. The problem I experienced was not excessive blisters, but the bottoms of my feet really ached. For the Portugues starting from Tomar in 2015, I got Hoka One One running shoes. They are super-cushy, and I started with the 20-22 mile days with absolutely no problems. Hoka makes running shoes, trail shoes and hiking boots, and I highly recommend trying some in a store to see if they are to your liking. I do hike in mountains, and use boots for ankle support for that type of trail, but I don't think that's necessary for the camino. By the way, I'm a woman in my 60's. Whatever you decide, ben camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good thoughts- I will see if I can get my hands on a pair to try on.

It really seems to be a personal choice, but this is my experience. I walked the camino frances in 2014 in trail shoes. The problem I experienced was not excessive blisters, but the bottoms of my feet really ached. For the Portugues starting from Tomar in 2015, I got Hoka One One running shoes. They are super-cushy, and I started with the 20-22 mile days with absolutely no problems. Hoka makes running shoes, trail shoes and hiking boots, and I highly recommend trying some in a store to see if they are to your liking. I do hike in mountains, and use boots for ankle support for that type of trail, but I don't think that's necessary for the camino. By the way, I'm a woman in my 60's. Whatever you decide, ben camino!
Glad to hear this! I will be walking from Lisbon this Fall and have been training in my Hoka trail runners.

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and Caminos...this is a great resource and I can already say thank you for the good information. I'm walking from Lisbon this September 1, so just starting to try to find something for the feet. I bought about a mid-weight hiking boot (Vasque) which has good support but all leather and they are HOT. I walked about 10 miles over two days and the blisters were starting....not sure I have the socks right. I was using a silk liner and fairly heavy wool socks. I like the support part of the boot (cobblestones scare me) but not the heat. Not sure yet whether to give them the 'boot' or stick with them...thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Welcome Stepnote!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back