• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear options for Camino del Norte

arworm15

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte: June 16 2023
Hello Everyone!

I am a first-time pilgrim, and I plan to walk the Camino del Norte starting June 15th and arrive on July 25th in Santiago. I'm seeking advice on some decisions I still need to make over the next few weeks.

My first question is about footwear. I'm unsure if this is accurate, but I think I saw somewhere that the average temperature will be around 27 degrees Celcius. If that is the case, I wouldn't mind having a pair of boots with especially given that the elevation changes frequently, extra ankle support might be appreciated. However, if the temperature will mostly be in the 30 to 35-degree range I imagine boots won't be incredibly comfortable. Or are boots completely unnecessary regardless? If so is there another style of shoe others would recommend?

My second question is a little different. I'm trying to book a train ticket in advance from Santiago to Lisbon at the end of July. Is it possible to book a ticket that far in advance? I've looked at several sites, but I was only able to buy tickets a few days in advance, perhaps I missed something. Or maybe a better question is if this is even necessary to do in the first place. I assume Santiago is very busy that time of year and I thought it might be necessary to book in advance.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm on the Norte now (and I also walked it in 2018). Some wear boots, others wear trail runners or hiking shoes. I'm in hiking sandals which suit me fine. Wear what you are comfortable in.
Agree. Wear what works for your feet understanding there will be pavement, rain and coastal trails.

Last year I started on the CF and in my research I read that someone mentioned shoes having a rock plate. Another poster said they weren't necessary on the CF but might be useful on the CN. Because of heat and fires, I transferred to the CN and due to the rugged terrain and the fact that the only reason I was taking ibuprofen was due to pain in the soles of my feet, I began to wonder about whether I'd be better off if my shoes had a rock plate. I did not change my footwear last year but I do continue to ask about the value of a rock plate for future walks. All that to say, you might want to look into that for yourself. Still, the footwear that works for you is the one you should go with.

Hello Everyone!

I am a first-time pilgrim, and I plan to walk the Camino del Norte starting June 15th and arrive on July 25th in Santiago. I'm seeking advice on some decisions I still need to make over the next few weeks.

My first question is about footwear. I'm unsure if this is accurate, but I think I saw somewhere that the average temperature will be around 27 degrees Celcius. If that is the case, I wouldn't mind having a pair of boots with especially given that the elevation changes frequently, extra ankle support might be appreciated. However, if the temperature will mostly be in the 30 to 35-degree range I imagine boots won't be incredibly comfortable. Or are boots completely unnecessary regardless? If so is there another style of shoe others would recommend?

My second question is a little different. I'm trying to book a train ticket in advance from Santiago to Lisbon at the end of July. Is it possible to book a ticket that far in advance? I've looked at several sites, but I was only able to buy tickets a few days in advance, perhaps I missed something. Or maybe a better question is if this is even necessary to do in the first place. I assume Santiago is very busy that time of year and I thought it might be necessary to book in advance.

Hi,
I will be doing the norte starting on june 17 from Irun and taking some detours (lebaniego and primitivo) to arrive in Santiago on july 25 as well.
My wife just came back from Italy and Spain, she recommended I use an app called Omio for train and bus travel while there. I think it does let you book what you are needing.
My name is Alex from Mexico, perhaps we will cross paths while walking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the Norte. I never wear boots. In terms of the terrain underfoot I do not believe boots are a necessity for most people. But this is only my opinion and what is good for me. As others have said wear what you want. Boots are heavier and your feet will often sweat more in boots than trail runners. Personally I love the lightness and cushion of my trail runners (Brooks Cascadia). I also have noticed over the years that it seems to me more people in boots get more blisters than those in trail runners. Of course I have nothing to prove this statistically or scientifically. It is only my eyes and fading memory that assumes this to be true. Wear what you want but in terms of necessity based on the camino itself, boots are not necessary.
Buen Camino

I prefer boots with Gore-tex on the del Norte in the fall (very rainy). Don't know about summer. My wife prefers Keen sandals. Most folks seem to prefer something in between. Buen Camino

We were on the Norte, doing some sections, in parts of May, June, September, and October a few years ago. I wore boots on the Frances when we did our first Camino hike in 2001 and had many painful blisters. Been wearing trail runners on the Camino and PCT ever since. I like Altras and I add a thin insert (Spenco) for extra cushioning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm on the Norte now (and I also walked it in 2018). Some wear boots, others wear trail runners or hiking shoes. I'm in hiking sandals which suit me fine. Wear what you are comfortable in.
I was very happy with my Altra Lone Peak 5, trail runners, essentially. All terrains.

Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

I walked the Norte in June last year. Loved it. You can find average temps on line. It wasn’t as hot as that.
For me the most important thing with footwear is to avoid blisters. I ended up in a Camino family of 6. I was the only one not to have any. It spoils the experience. There’s lots of advice on this forum about how to avoid them. Can be confusing because not all feet are the same, so you need to work out now what’s comfortable for all day walking. My solution is Altra Lone Peak shoes, merino socks and Vaseline applied all around the feet before putting the socks on each morning. But that may not be the best solution for you.
Have a wonderful walk, Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.