• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

footwear used on SECOND Camino

+@^^

everybody has an opinion on footwear
especially before doing the first camino
the BIG DEBATE - do i take boots or trail-shoes
before my first walk i had my phd in footwear - i knew it all
my opinion changed during my first walk
i cussed my trail shoes and dreamed of boots
i want to know whether your footwear changed from your first to your second Camino
? why

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I changed footgear for the second trip. On the first trip, I had stout boots that were very well broken-in, and I replaced the insoles. But during the 3 weeks of the walk, I developed significant pain on the soles of the feet. This was assessed as plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the ligaments under the arch of the foot. Turns out the boots were too well-broken-in (didn't provide enough support), and the insoles did not have enough arch support.

So this year I have fresh boots (same maker, I liked their fit). I have new insoles (better resilience) and new orthotics (really good arch support and good heel cushioning too). It has taken me several months of experimentation to get the details sorted out -- which is another reason to not wait until the last minute to start getting your equipment set in order. One must leave time for all the small adjustments!

I had a kind of hybrid walking/hiking shoe, with a Vibram sole and just enough ankle support. I will do the same again. Only time I had a problem was when I was walking in 'streams' for three days and my feet got saturated so I got some blisters. But only the once. I have thought of trying the goretex version but am worried they will get too hot. So I imagine I will just do a new model of the same shoe. (After 1500+km, the Vibram soles are still perfect, but the fabric around the ankles is quite worn out...)
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used the same low cut New Balance boots on the second one, but with new insoles. The heel stitching deteriorated after 2,000 km, so I replace them with the same brand/model for the third one. Never a blister...

I wore my New Balance trail shoes both times and LOVED them.
Wore them out of the store and onto the trail... no breaking in.
I am buying a new pair next week as I plan for my next Camino.
YAY!

We took Hi-Tec Altitude IV WP (waterproof) boots again this year, Terry's third time and my second on the Camino. Both pairs were new, Terry's original pair finally wore out and mine were well worn. We had to search for them, to get exactly the same, but it was worth while. Very lightweight, waterproofed leather with ankle suport etc.
We did wear them for our final training to check that there were no problems. We'll take the same boots again next year, just need to decide exactly where!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.