• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear

Time of past OR future Camino
Would it be feasible to do the Camino Portugués (Porto to Santiago, possibly continuing on to Muxia; starting September 11) in Nike road running shoes? Here is a link for the type of shoes I am referring to: https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=X&ei=mQEpUsz6JKmGiQKCq4DwDg&ved=0CL0BEL8TMAQ.

I have a pair of excellent Vasque hiking boots that I have used on two different Caminos. They are great but rather big and clunky. The Nike shoes are light and comfortable and perfect for road walking. Would they hold up on the forest trails?

These are my Vasque boots: http://www.workinggear.com/gc/custo...a_7cVSQ_7201&gclid=COSstY-ktbkCFS3hQgoduEoAJw

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Seth, the forest trails are only on the sections between Ponte de Lima, Rubies and Valenca and maybe the new route out of Tui.I would go with the Nike running shoes there is a lot of hard surface on this route and good absorbant shoes would take out some of the pounding your knees will get.The trail sections are straight forward quite easy paths apart from a high point after Ponte de Lima.

Mike

Yes, they'll be fine. I wore New Balance trail and running shoes and was fine. Lots of road walking. Take a bright colored hankerchief to tie on your stick when going around some very narrow, busy curves and stay alert! No looking at the iPhone while you walk on THIS route!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yeah, I think that you have choosen both pairs very well. Make sure just that you have a waterproof pair of shoes or boot's, because for what I'm seeing here in Portugal, you might start to catch rain at the 15th or 16th.

Bom Caminho :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Okay I just did Porto-Santiago, and here's what I've got on shoes. Just know that the thing that will hurt the worst are your feet, no question. I ended up bringing three pairs of shoes: 1. Strong sturdy hiking boots - if you have any ankle or bone/tendon issues, you will want these. It's not mountainous, but it is uneven terrain. 2. Soft, squishy running shoes, they can be cheap. This is to relieve your feet from all the hardness of the boots when you get a chance. I found that I wore the running shoes for the first or last third of each day and that way it didn't feel like I was walking on broken glass so much. 3. Supportive (Chaco) flip flops - not too heavy, but the rubber ones that have arch support. That way when you're chilling at the end of the day, your feet are still supported.

As you can tell, I care a lot about foot care! I was so glad to have all of these shoes. The extra weight was worth it, because my pain was so bad that pain meds didn't help, and so having the tennies to relieve my foot pain was great, but then having the sturdy ankle-supporting boots was really important for the rocky parts along the way.

The whole first half is full of a very special kind of 'cobblestone' that is made, not of smooth river rocks, but of very jagged cubes that, by the end of the day, make your feet feel like you're walking on broken glass, even through very nice, sturdy Asolo hiking boots, through which I usually can never feel any rocks. (I LOVE you Asolo!!!) This is why the squishy comfy tennies were important.

I hope this helps those of you who are also very particular about your feeties!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you´re doing the Portugues de la Costa you´ll be fine as well . But keep in mind possible rain.

Buen Camino!

Would it be feasible to do the Camino Portugués (Porto to Santiago, possibly continuing on to Muxia; starting September 11) in Nike road running shoes? Here is a link for the type of shoes I am referring to: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1970589556486720605?q=nike running shoes&rlz=1CASMAE_enUS525US526&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.51773540,d.cGE,pv.xjs.s.en_US.a4Cglxu1uYM.O&biw=1366&bih=632&tch=1&ech=1&psi=bgEpUoKlOcnjiALf_oC4Dw.1378419091974.3&sa=X&ei=mQEpUsz6JKmGiQKCq4DwDg&ved=0CL0BEL8TMAQ.

I have a pair of excellent Vasque hiking boots that I have used on two different Caminos. They are great but rather big and clunky. The Nike shoes are light and comfortable and perfect for road walking. Would they hold up on the forest trails?

These are my Vasque boots: http://www.workinggear.com/gc/custo...a_7cVSQ_7201&gclid=COSstY-ktbkCFS3hQgoduEoAJw

Footwear choices are personal. I read all I could find and went with a shoe that would dry, it had a stiff arch, a sole that was not heavily lugged (fearing mud), an easy lacing system (for early departures) and a great color (red). They worked well until I stepped on a sharp rock and bruised my foot as the sole was too thin and soft at the ball of my foot (I made insoles) and finished the Camino Frances 27 days later. I too am now looking for the ideal light weight, fast drying, soft (not too soft) soled shoe not boot..... I hope this helps, Willy

Footwear choices are personal. I read all I could find and went with a shoe that would dry, it had a stiff arch, a sole that was not heavily lugged (fearing mud), an easy lacing system (for early departures) and a great color (red). They worked well until I stepped on a sharp rock and bruised my foot as the sole was too thin and soft at the ball of my foot (I made insoles) and finished the Camino Frances 27 days later. I too am now looking for the ideal light weight, fast drying, soft (not too soft) soled shoe not boot..... I hope this helps, Willy

Have you tried Salomon? I have a pair of Salomon trail shoes, I don't remembre the model, but when I arrive home I'll send a PM to you with the model ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Seth, Merrell moab ventilator... there brilliant, did the camino frances from mid France to Leon and there still going strong.
Buy a half size too large, my feet changed shape during the walk, I believe there is an insole that will correct this in future.
Start my portugues next march/april will buy some more..
http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product.mvc.aspx/15390M/43897/Mens/Moab-Ventilator?dimensions=0

I'm unsure whether to have Gore-Tex waterproof shoes or something like Merrell Ventilator. I'll be walking the CF in April/May or possibly June. Does the Ventilator keep rain out sufficiently? Gore-Tex is good but does it breathe enough to prevent blisters caused by feet that are too hot?

Yes, they'll be fine. I wore New Balance trail and running shoes and was fine. Lots of road walking. Take a bright colored hankerchief to tie on your stick when going around some very narrow, busy curves and stay alert! No looking at the iPhone while you walk on THIS route!
A safetyvest does better, as we did. Used them many times and definitely we were seen better at the shoulders of busy roads !
About the shoes... We even met people walking on open sandals so everything is possible.:)
Bom caminho

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 35
Goretex is not a good choice in my opinion.
Your feet will sweat and you will get blisters.
Running or trail shoes dry out overnight.
Boots will be cold and wet.

For safety, we tied bright orange handkerchiefs to our walking sticks and waved them when going around blind curves with no shoulder. It was still pretty scary.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@williamlittig , these are the ones that I have from Salomon. Salomon Trail Runner Aero. Great pair of shoes!

L30800000-b-500x500.jpg

I also have a pair of Hi Tec Figaro which are also great.

2294785-p-4x.jpg
2294785-p-4x.jpg

I was supposed to use one of these pairs on my next Caminho, but I'm afraid of the rain. I don't have nothing with the Gore-Tex membrane, but I use boots with a similar membrane, but more breathable than Gore-Tex. I do use now a pair of Hi Tec Mid Tornado boots, who have a Waterproof membrane combined with a mesh system for breathability. And if you think that it could still get in some moisture, Hi Tec built this boot with an expeller moisture technology. They have a very good Vibram sole and they are great!

Best Regards
Diogo

Would it be feasible to do the Camino Portugués (Porto to Santiago, possibly continuing on to Muxia; starting September 11) in Nike road running shoes? Here is a link for the type of shoes I am referring to: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1970589556486720605?q=nike running shoes&rlz=1CASMAE_enUS525US526&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.51773540,d.cGE,pv.xjs.s.en_US.a4Cglxu1uYM.O&biw=1366&bih=632&tch=1&ech=1&psi=bgEpUoKlOcnjiALf_oC4Dw.1378419091974.3&sa=X&ei=mQEpUsz6JKmGiQKCq4DwDg&ved=0CL0BEL8TMAQ.

Dude I walked with this cat named Simon from Canada. He never got a blister, he said he went on line and bought socks that guaranteed no blisters! Good luck finding them, next camino I will invest time looking for them. Bom caminho!

I wore big hiking boots on the CP. I wished I had worn regular walking or running shoes that wear lighter

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Light trainers should be fine. Good quality should last 300 to 500 hours. Invest in a pair of sealskin socks very effective when wet. I would still prefer a lightweight boots with ankle support.

I used to wear boots. I now wear lightweight runners. I like the extra "bounce", especially on hard surfaces. Water goes straight through but they dry instantly. My husband used to wear boots. He discarded those and tried runners. He now wears ordinary casual leather shoes, with a rubber sole.
To each his own.

I just bought Fila trail running shoes...I'm a bit apprehensive about my choice... Very comfortable and lightweight. What do you think?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As long as they hang together for the distance they should be fine. My ASICs cover 800km without a problem. Boots or shoes, you don't want this to happen:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387066794.017477.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387066794.017477.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 33
As long as they hang together for the distance they should be fine. My ASICs cover 800km without a problem. Boots or shoes, you don't want this to happen:
many thanks for ur response!

lol! no indeed! thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Footwear choices are indeed personal. The combination of good boots with socks designed for walking is best to avoid problems with feet and ankles. Personally I prefer boots that protect the ankles, particularly on uneven tracks.
Over the years I have worn various brands: first a Northface boot (lousy, fell apart within a short time), then Merrell MoabMid Gore-Tex continuum (soles started loosening after about 600 km), now Timberland Outdoor performance with Gore.Tex (done about 350 km, heels wearing out too quickly). All of these boots were 1/2 size larger than normal shoe size, none gave problems to my feet. Only once did a blister start when I wore the wrong socks.:eek:

Footwear choices are indeed personal. The combination of good boots with socks designed for walking is best to avoid problems with feet and ankles. Personally I prefer boots that protect the ankles, particularly on uneven tracks.
Over the years I have worn various brands: first a Northface boot (lousy, fell apart within a short time), then Merrell MoabMid Gore-Tex continuum (soles started loosening after about 600 km), now Timberland Outdoor performance with Gore.Tex (done about 350 km, heels wearing out too quickly). All of these boots were 1/2 size larger than normal shoe size, none gave problems to my feet. Only once did a blister start when I wore the wrong socks.:eek:
Yes, he wore a pair of those stupid socks that they give you on the plane coming over. Of course he got a blister!

Okay I just did Porto-Santiago, and here's what I've got on shoes. Just know that the thing that will hurt the worst are your feet, no question. I ended up bringing three pairs of shoes: 1. Strong sturdy hiking boots - if you have any ankle or bone/tendon issues, you will want these. It's not mountainous, but it is uneven terrain. 2. Soft, squishy running shoes, they can be cheap. This is to relieve your feet from all the hardness of the boots when you get a chance. I found that I wore the running shoes for the first or last third of each day and that way it didn't feel like I was walking on broken glass so much. 3. Supportive (Chaco) flip flops - not too heavy, but the rubber ones that have arch support. That way when you're chilling at the end of the day, your feet are still supported.

As you can tell, I care a lot about foot care! I was so glad to have all of these shoes. The extra weight was worth it, because my pain was so bad that pain meds didn't help, and so having the tennies to relieve my foot pain was great, but then having the sturdy ankle-supporting boots was really important for the rocky parts along the way.

The whole first half is full of a very special kind of 'cobblestone' that is made, not of smooth river rocks, but of very jagged cubes that, by the end of the day, make your feet feel like you're walking on broken glass, even through very nice, sturdy Asolo hiking boots, through which I usually can never feel any rocks. (I LOVE you Asolo!!!) This is why the squishy comfy tennies were important.

I hope this helps those of you who are also very particular about your feeties!
My first camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great tips! That is what I'm planning on. Good hiking boots, softer maybe hiking sandal? And then a simple sandal for evening outings.
Heavy leather hiker or day hiker?

Great tips! That is what I'm planning on. Good hiking boots, softer maybe hiking sandal? And then a simple sandal for evening outings.
Heavy leather hiker or day hiker?
I have used full leather boots in the past, and on pilgrimage walks in Norway and Sweden. I have also used a light hiker in Spain on my most recent pilgrimage there. It was not a good option for me, but many others have walked successfully in much less. There are advantages to having a full boot, but these are not compelling when walking in spring, summer and autumn.

As an aside, @CaminoLori, this thread is from around 2013. You would be well served from searching for some of the more recent advice. Even in just five years, the advances in design approaches and materials technology have expanded the options available, and changed many peoples views on what are good options for the camino and similar long distance trails.

Would it be feasible to do the Camino Portugués (Porto to Santiago, possibly continuing on to Muxia; starting September 11) in Nike road running shoes? Here is a link for the type of shoes I am referring to: https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...=X&ei=mQEpUsz6JKmGiQKCq4DwDg&ved=0CL0BEL8TMAQ.

I would recommend that if you are carrying a pack to wear the hikers. I wore salomon trail runners on the French way and they broke down on Day 4. I have since done the Portugal route from Lisbon and wore hikers, although a bit heavier very durable, with great ankle support for the heavier pack.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Next time I walk the Portugues, I'll definitely be wearing Hoka One Ones. The cushioning will be nice on the cobblestones. Last time, I wore Morrell Moabs. They seemed fine at the time, but that was because I hadn't tried the Hokas yet.

Although this is one of those points that we tend to relegate to the "whatever works for you" platitude, I will risk the forum's ire by noting, as some others have, that "waterproof" shoes on the Camino between April/May to September/October are not only not necessary but counter-productive. This point has been made repeatedly by the gear heads on the Forum. And it has been conventional wisdom in the wilderness backpacking world for years. Moxy's post above is a good example of a wilderness backpacker giving up heavier duty hiking shoes for lightweight ones--and never looking back. I keep reading that Altra's and to a lesser extent Hokas now dominate the PCT (including the JMT) and AT. I have worn Altras on two Caminos, although I could have been just as pleased I think with a pair of cushioned New Balance or ASICS (I mention those two specifically because of the availability of wide and extra-wide). But, having said that, if I could find wide enough Salomons, I would try those. In 2016, I conducted an informal survey of people I met about their satisfaction with their shoes. By far, the Salomon brand got the highest ratings. Last summer, I noticed many more Altras and Hokas than in 2016. The walking/hiking/trekking world has moved astonishingly quickly to lightweight (sometimes only 9-11 ounces) and effectively non-break-in-required shoes. Last year I think I saw only four pair of old-school leather hiking boots, and three of those were hanging from the back of the Peregrino's pack. Socks are almost if not as equally important as the actual shoe. I have tried all manner of sock combinations during by wilderness backpacking days, and have become convinced by davebugg's analysis that a single pair of relatively thin and snug anti-blister socks handle sheer force best. I used to think that a plush thick sock provided the best protection. But, that's not actually the case. In 2016, I experimented with Injinji toe socks, Wright (double layer) socks, and assorted padded and supposedly anti-blister designed socks. I got a few blisters on that Camino, enough that I made me wonder about my sock choices. In 2018, I wore snug but comfortable relatively thin socks, and no blisters.

This year on the CP I used the 1000 mile socks and old Meindl hiking trainers. No blisters but lost two toe nails. (But I always have that toe nail problem due to the way my second toes hit. )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm unsure whether to have Gore-Tex waterproof shoes or something like Merrell Ventilator. I'll be walking the CF in April/May or possibly June. Does the Ventilator keep rain out sufficiently? Gore-Tex is good but does it breathe enough to prevent blisters caused by feet that are too hot?
Personally felt goretex version would prevent ventilation that is important to help prevent blister's. It's a heavier shoe and rain still pentrates through sides of shoes unless wearing gaiters. I expect there will be more dry days than wet and why pay extra for something that prevents circulation of air and on the occasions I did get my feet wet I was relieved as it cooled the hot spots on my feet, removed and stuffed with newspaper at Albergue and if still wet next day I temporary used a ziplock plastic bag over my feet in socks until sun dried them out. Merrell Moab Ventilators 2 are my tried and tested Camino France, Portuguese and Brazil and 1 size up, 2 pairs of hiking socks and barrier cream and after 2,000 Kms back to back no blister's 🤠

Gore-tex is great for it's PacLite jackets but unnecessary in trail runners - damp shoes dry out quickly when walking and wet shoes quickly return to normal with a change of socks - on the other hand, muddy shoes need the full wash then hair dryer routine

Do people keep asking you what are those plastic things coming out of your boots? Does it sound familiar? Hehehe
Haha, I've not had the experience of having too explain myself. I operate in stealth mode wear bag between light guage and medium guage Merino wool seamless socks. You could say it's a Merino sandwich with sandwich bag as filler 🤠

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Spot on @Bob Howard . Actually its quite a phenomenon how fast is the backpacking community move towards ultra lite backpacking. I think its because finally those type of products are becoming available specially from small companies. IMHO, some people take it to the extreme and go to far. But hey, whatever works for each person is what matters.
Here’s my packing list for the Camino out of my own taste and with equipment that I already had. https://lighterpack.com/r/9bq4r1

Well, Moxie, your packing list will definitely take first place in the coveted format category. Beautifully done. But it's that bottom line number that is the most impressive--7.6 lb base weight! And I have been beating the "we don't need more than 12-15 lb" pack weight drum (absent, of course, some special/medical needs). You have entered the hyperlight world at 7.6 lbs. And I see you even have the equivalent of a light sleeping bag. Although it doesn't affect your pack weight, I think your Altra shoe weight--approx. 10 ozs-- is for just one shoe. Sometime if you have the time, post a photo of you and the pack. I'd like to see what a 7.6 lb base weight setup looks like. Again, congratulations on an obviously rigorous packing plan.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.