• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear

judydaisy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria - Santiago 2004
Roncesvalles - Estella 2009
Camino Ingles - 2012
Tui - Santiago - 2014
Does anyone have any experience of Asolo shoes/boots. They seem to have a lot going for them... Shape, Gor-tex, fabric for summer walking etc. I'd be really interested to know if you like them or hate them and why.
Thanks, buen camino. Judy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi judy been wearing them for the last five years i buy the leather gortex ones quite expenstive but a great fit for me they have a norrow heel fiting which i need.looking at the same boot to buy again

Just what i want to hear johns, thanks for that

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought a pair for my Camino last year and found them to be too narrow for my feet in my training hikes. If you do decide to get them, allow for your foot to swell and buy at least half size larger. Also, give yourself plenty of time to break them in! Buen Camino!!

While you can always get other peoples' opinions and impressions based on brand names, and that is a good starting point when shopping for boots or hiking shoes; however, it's best to try on several different types and brands of boots or hiking shoes and buy the ones that fit YOU the best. There are discussions galore on this topic on this and other forums, but it all boils down to buying from a knowledgeable source that understands why you're buying the boots/shoes and where you'll be wearing them. Take the socks you'll be wearing while you're hiking (including liners if you plan to wear them as well) when you get fitted. The typical advice is to buy at least 1/2-size larger than initially fills comfortable in the store, because your feet will actually spread out and grow when you walk the distances of the Camino on a daily basis for weeks on end. Also, if you have low or flat arches, consider adding insoles that have adequate arch support. Ask if the store will allow returns if you discover that the footwear that feels great in the store feels uncomfortable or causes hotspots or blisters when you actually wear them hiking in real-world conditions.
Buen Camino,
Jim

While you can always get other peoples' opinions and impressions based on brand names, and that is a good starting point when shopping for boots or hiking shoes; however, it's best to try on several different types and brands of boots or hiking shoes and buy the ones that fit YOU the best. There are discussions galore on this topic on this and other forums, but it all boils down to buying from a knowledgeable source that understands why you're buying the boots/shoes and where you'll be wearing them. Take the socks you'll be wearing while you're hiking (including liners if you plan to wear them as well) when you get fitted. The typical advice is to buy at least 1/2-size larger than initially fills comfortable in the store, because your feet will actually spread out and grow when you walk the distances of the Camino on a daily basis for weeks on end. Also, if you have low or flat arches, consider adding insoles that have adequate arch support. Ask if the store will allow returns if you discover that the footwear that feels great in the store feels uncomfortable or causes hotspots or blisters when you actually wear them hiking in real-world conditions.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Jim is correct. But I want to add to what he said that, as a general rule, your hiking boots should be one to one and half sizes larger than your street shoe size. You add one-half size for swelling as Jim says, plus one-half size for two pair of socks. I believe "swelling" takes two forms. Jim is correct in stating that, over time, your feet may actually seem to "grow" perhaps one half size due to your long walk. I also happen to have "sweaty feet" that swell at least one half size.

So, to illustrate my point, my street size 11 (US) 45 (EU) feet are wearing a size 13 US (47 (EU) hiking boot. Here is how the extra TWO SIZES are explained:

11.0 Base measurement
0.5 Two pair socks (Cool-Max liners, and Smartwool outer socks)
0.5 Sweaty feet!
0.5 Foot enlargement "flex-space" (BTW - my feet DID expand from size 11 to 11.5 by the end of my Camino.)
12.5 Subtotal

So, by the numbers, it would seem that my size should be a 12.5. However, the boot I liked the most, the Keen Targhee II mid-height boot, runs 1/2 size SMALL according to the manufacturer's web site. YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Hence, as the size 13 Keen boots are actually a size 12.5, that matches my computed needs handily. So, that is what I wore last year, and what I am awaiting in the mail any day now. Once you get them fitted, you can reorder as you find most convenient.

Here is a point to remember as you fit your boots and decide whether to go up or down a size. You can always re-lace your boots or shoes to better anchor your foot to the rear of a slightly too large boot / shoe, especially at the beginning of your pilgrimage. Search You Tube for "How to lace hiking boots." You can also add a pair of socks in the beginning to take up space. However, there is NO WAY to make a boot / shoe that is 1/2 size too small and causing you to lose your toenails and suffer from more blisters.

Everyone's feet are different, and no two style or brand shoes are identical. So, you cannot make assumptions as to size. I recommend NOT trying to take a stab in the dark and buying boots on line.

Also, and Jim alludes to this, if you haver any unique issues with your feet, do see your podiatrist (foot doctor) well in advance of your Camino. I did not last year and it nearly cost me my Camino. This year, I saw the doctor and had custom orthotics made to fit my chosen boots perfectly. Not cheap - but a lot cheaper than an interrupted Camino.

Your hiking boots or shoes are the single most important piece of kit you will buy for the Camino, followed in importance only by your backpack. Please take the time to get properly fitted using the socks you plan to wear, as Jim says. Allow room for swelling and foot "growth" over time. You will be glad you did.

I hope this helps someone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jim is correct. But I want to add to what he said that, as a general rule, your hiking boots should be one to one and half sizes larger than your street shoe size. You add one-half size for swelling as Jim says, plus one-half size for two pair of socks. I believe "swelling" takes two forms. Jim is correct in stating that, over time, your feet may actually seem to "grow" perhaps one half size due to your long walk. I also happen to have "sweaty feet" that swell at least one half size.

So, to illustrate my point, my street size 11 (US) 45 (EU) feet are wearing a size 13 US (47 (EU) hiking boot. Here is how the extra TWO SIZES are explained:

11.0 Base measurement
0.5 Two pair socks (Cool-Max liners, and Smartwool outer socks)
0.5 Sweaty feet!
0.5 Foot enlargement "flex-space" (BTW - my feet DID expand from size 11 to 11.5 by the end of my Camino.)
12.5 Subtotal

So, by the numbers, it would seem that my size should be a 12.5. However, the boot I liked the most, the Keen Targhee II mid-height boot, runs 1/2 size SMALL according to the manufacturer's web site. YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Hence, as the size 13 Keen boots are actually a size 12.5, that matches my computed needs handily. So, that is what I wore last year, and what I am awaiting in the mail any day now. Once you get them fitted, you can reorder as you find most convenient.

Here is a point to remember as you fit your boots and decide whether to go up or down a size. You can always re-lace your boots or shoes to better anchor your foot to the rear of a slightly too large boot / shoe, especially at the beginning of your pilgrimage. Search You Tube for "How to lace hiking boots." You can also add a pair of socks in the beginning to take up space. However, there is NO WAY to make a boot / shoe that is 1/2 size too small and causing you to lose your toenails and suffer from more blisters.

Everyone's feet are different, and no two style or brand shoes are identical. So, you cannot make assumptions as to size. I recommend NOT trying to take a stab in the dark and buying boots on line.

Also, and Jim alludes to this, if you haver any unique issues with your feet, do see your podiatrist (foot doctor) well in advance of your Camino. I did not last year and it nearly cost me my Camino. This year, I saw the doctor and had custom orthotics made to fit my chosen boots perfectly. Not cheap - but a lot cheaper than an interrupted Camino.

Your hiking boots or shoes are the single most important piece of kit you will buy for the Camino, followed in importance only by your backpack. Please take the time to get properly fitted using the socks you plan to wear, as Jim says. Allow room for swelling and foot "growth" over time. You will be glad you did.

Such helpful thread t2andreo

I am just now heading to city to suss out a better fit for my sept. Camino
Last pair were fitted by 'expert' and felt okay in shop and general training but my feet swelled and ached so much last year I'm checking all avenues in prep (which I know covers more than the footwear, but I'll be checking out all possibilities /bases).

I normally wear size 37 and I walked out with size 38 keen mid boots.
I think with my feet (pretty broad) and not skinny ankles.plus sweaty/hot, I need a larger boot. That's Going on advice above , but will try several more types today and get good fit .
Thank you for the info
Annie

To further supplement my earlier post and t2andreo's comment, I first bought a pair of boots (Merrill Moab) 1/2 size too large. After 4-5 months' of training hikes, my toes were starting to hit the ends of my boots. I returned those boots to REI where I bought them, and they gave me a straight-up, no cost trade to another 1/2 size larger boot. That's why I always recommend REI to those who have access to a store -- they have a great return policy. I field-tested two different backpacks, and received full credit for the one I didn't keep. My wife actually went through field trials of four pairs of boots, and REI accepted and gave full refunds on the ones she didn't keep.

Regarding lacing techniques, here's couple of links to explore:
http://www.backpacker.com/april_2003_gear_boot_lacing_tips/gear/5245

Jim

I normally wear a size 7 shoe, and bought a ladies size 8.5 Merrell Chameleon boot which felt great in the shop and on local walks, but I had this nagging thought that they would not be okay if my feet swell, which seems to be a guaranteed event. I went back and bought a mens size 9.5 in the same boot (just khaki and green instead of brown and purple - sad face), and I can honestly say they feel awesome, not too big at all. Two pairs of socks (one trek and one normal) and a good lacing technique will prevent any slipping until my feet man up and grow some muscles. Getting the second pair of bigger boots has taken away the fear of severe foot problems for me. I have done my bit. Now it just up to the Camino to decide my fate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a pair of Asolos last year - really nice boot - but are a narrow fit. Most makes tend towards some aspect eg narrow/wide fit or smaller or large sizing etc. And I got a pair that were my actual size, I didn't get anything larger- and though my feet swelled a bit it was a matter of adjusting the lacing.
(My problem with the Asolo boots I had was that they weren't narrow enough for my heels/ankles and so have been abandoned due to beautiful blisters caused by my heel moving)
But boots are a personal thing and having given up for another year on the camino finding a pair of boots that even vaguely fit my skinny ankles, the advice is you need to try boots on and getting someone who knows what they are doing to fit your boots (and tell them what you want the boots for- in that the camino is a long distance walk but includes plenty of tarmac). Many outdoor shops will let you take a pair home and try wearing them in the house to get a better sense of fit (most places don't quite do the REI thing) - that should bring up niggles -but you need to notice very minor things. But other issues will only come up when you finally take them out walking a fair distance and on multiple days

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.