• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

footwear

Antonio Dama

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino in may this year
Hi know there are countless threads and information on footwear, I guess different footwear for different people.

I am walking the camino in September, I have some old Salomon grouted hiking boots but I am now looking at some Salomon speeders gtx3 trail running shoes what do people think?

Thanks!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can't help with specifics but, all else being equal (which they never are!), go with the lightest footwear.

The path is rarely rugged, but good footwear can take a lot of the impact of repetitive steps. Light is good, but be sure you get the support you need. My feet are not compatible with lightweight running shoes, which are just fine for many people. I walked one time after an achilles tendon injury, and needed over-the-ankle boots. Whatever you choose, be sure it fits with the socks you will be wearing. Friction causes blisters, and you get blisters from both loose shoes and tight shoes. I buy my regular size. Some buy a half-size or size bigger. Don't buy bigger on rote advice! Don't find out things for the first time on the camino. Experiment with lubricants and sock combinations long before you head for the Camino. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Everyone's feet and fitness level is different. Shoes / boots that are ideal for one person may not work for another. As a tall (183 cm) heavy (114 kg) fellow, I must have the addition support that mid-high Keen hiking boots provide. Also, my rucksack weight is regularly too heavy (my bad) and I know it. But I digress...

Someone who is shorter and lighter, and perhaps carrying less of a load will do as well with lower trail hiking or running shoes. But, before you make the investment either way, try to assess whether you can walk all day, in all weather conditions with a loaded rucksack in the footwear you choose. Practice in the sports shop with various shoes. Bring your loaded rucksack. I use a 7 kg sack of kitty litter in my rucksack for practice. Once I add a couple liters of water, I am up to the target 10 -12 kg I customarily carry...at least at first... But, again, I digress...

The height of the shoe, and the stiffness of the sole a influence mostly by your size, total (all-in) walking weight and physical capabilities. Between trail runners and low hiking shoes, please know that trail runners are intended for folks running trails over varied ground with either no rucksack or just a small day bag. Hiking shoes have additional cushioning, thickness and stiffness in the middle layers of the sole and upper to provide improved stability and comfort.

Beyond this, remember the sizing mantra. Start with your street shoe size. Add 1/2 size for two pair of socks, another 1/2 size for foot swelling after several hours walking under load, and a final 1/2 size to account EITHER for splaying of feet (widening) after several weeks of sustained walking under load, AND to provide enough room in the tow box so your toes NEVER bump against or rub the inside of the toe box on a downhill stretch.

That is why my US size 11 (45 cm) street feet, wear a size 13 (47) Keen Targhee on Camino. This is listed as two full sizes larger than my street size. However, Keen lists these boots on their web site as running 1/2 size small. So, the size 13 (47) is actually a size 12.5 (46). In the end, they fit comfortably and work outstanding FOR ME. I have worn the same pair of Keen boots for three Caminos.

After each pilgrimage, I send them into a firm that specializes in factory specification resoling of most all brands of hiking and running shoes that have vulcanized (melted and glued on) outsoles. I do this because resoling costs 2/3 the price of new boots, and this pair is so well broken in that they fit like gloves. I have another brand new pair of the same boots in the cabinet, provided free by Keen in a warranty claim after my first Camino. However, they do not get used until the upper boots become unserviceable.

All this said, some people have feet that do not swell after a day's walk with a rucksack, or splay after several weeks on the trail. I understand and respect that, as everyone's feet are different. However, at the risk of incurring the wrath of DougFitz, I will be categorical for a moment...NEVER, EVER buy shoes in your street size to walk the Camino. You WILL be sorry.

The cause of many blisters and too many lost toenails is wearing shoes / boots that are too small for the purpose. Also, you must learn how to lace your shoes / boots so that the foot is well supported and the heel is retained in the heel counter. If your foot can slide forward, your toes will strike the inside of the toe box repeatedly. This causes irritation, blisters, bleeding and lost toenails. Have a look at this web resource for lacing suggestions: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

Also, search You Tube for "how to lace hiking boots." There are tons of videos. There are too many variations to describe. Some are for style and fashion. Other methods are functional. On the Camino, always opt for function and utility over style. You will not be sorry.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Annie, I love all the info on this forum. Do you wear the same size trail runners as normal or do you wear larger sizes for the camino? Thanks

I usually wear a 6.5.
For the Camino I always buy a 7.5 because most people's feet swell (including mine).
The clerk will question you, but stick to your guns.
I must mention that one person complained about the advice and had problems with her shoes being too big.
But for most people, I think 1 to 1.5 sizes larger is a good idea.

I never would have expected my feet to swell.
But walking 6-8 hours continually with the weight of a pack... well, feet swell.
You can always fill up empty space with an extra pair of socks.
But if the shoes are too small, you're in trouble.

Also, I pay the extra $30-45 and buy Motion Control inserts.
I replace the shoe inserts with those, as they help correct ankle rolling and provide a wonderful cushion for the feet. Just be VERY careful when you trim them to fit so you don't leave a place that will pinch your foot.

NEVER, EVER buy shoes in your street size to walk the Camino. You WILL be sorry.
I do exactly that, buy my regular size, and it has worked on over a dozen caminos. :)

Don't do what I do unless it works for you. Too large footwear may be the #1 cause of blisters...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suggest respectfully that Falcon is the exception, not the rule. Fit your shoes individually to your feet and foot behavior wearing the socks you will wear on Camino, and preferably with a loaded rucksack on your back.

If you do this, regardless of your individual foot shape, you will be okay. Just be very aware of forward foot sliding when the shoes / boots are laced.

The rubbing of any two surfaces causes friction. When one of those surfaces is your foot, the foot being softer, is going to sprout a blister. If that but of foot is to front end of your toe, your nails are at risk too.

I am not disagreeing with what Falcon says. It is likely true for HIS feet and his particular brand and model of shoe. It points to the initial observation that everyone's feet are different.

So, too are all footware styles different. For example, a brand "X" boot might have a longer toe box in a given size, or perhaps a wider toe box to permit you to wriggle and cross your toes. That is one sign of enough room up front.

My recommendations are based on my Camino experience, and what I observed among my fellow pilgrims as I walked. I also helped treat some of these other pilgrims' feet. More often than not, when asked, the individual was wearing the same size hiking shoe / boot as their street shoe, or just 1/2 size larger.

But, I cannot discount Falcon's personal experience. It IS possible.

I hope this clarifies the discussion.

However, at the risk of incurring the wrath of DougFitz, I will be categorical for a moment...NEVER, EVER buy shoes in your street size to walk the Camino. You WILL be sorry.
Just to let you know you have incurred my wrath too, although I might not be as scary as @dougfitz :mad:.

I will be categorical and agree with
Don't buy bigger on rote advice!

One shouldn't not buy shoes on the basis of the number they are labelled with. Try them on, and if you want to walk in sloppy boats, go ahead. Personally I prefer what I call the "right size." If they are the right shape for my foot, I often find that I could wear either of 2 sizes. For the camino I would definitely go with the larger one. Almost all my shoes have been size 7 or 7.5 for many many years. My camino shoes are 7.5. Because of the excellent fit, they can accommodate any swelling I get. I cannot imagine trying to walk in a size 8.5 as some have suggested.

I must mention that one person complained about the advice and had problems with her shoes being too big.
Annie has lots of good advice and experience, but it is misleading to suggest that only one person has ever had this situation. I believe that many people daily wear shoes that are too small, and they probably need to go up a size or 2. Other people do have a problem with significant swelling and they need to work out a solution. However, many of us successfully wear our normal sizes.

Edited to recognize that @t2andreo has added some good comments about how the shoe fits. That is the most important consideration - get the shape right first; then the size is easy to determine.

It does sound rather like we are all saying the same thing, albeit differently.

My take is to avoid buying hiking footwear the same size as your street shoe size, simply assuming it will do on a Camino when you are likely wearing different or thicker socks, sweating, and carrying a 10 kg or more load on your back for a month or so.

Falcon is telling us that his feet work fine in his street sizing. I accept that...for him personally.

C clearly is taking the position that one should buy the size that "fits" correctly. I think we are saying the same thing, but looking at it from both ends. I was trying to steer people to the ballpark of what should be the correct size, given my "rules of thumb." However, disregarding my recommendations and simply buying what feels best for you is also a valid method for backing into the correct sizing.

I do believe we are playing "three blind men and the elephant" here. Let's all agree that everyone should obtain the style and size footwear that works for THEM, given their personal foot characteristics. In that contest, my recommendations should be viewed as general rules of thumb. I continue to stand by them for the majority of persons.

I hope this clarifies....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
DO NOT choose your specific footwear based on advice from anyone who doesn't have your feet. Seriously, ultralite running shoes, or heavy leather waterproof hiking boots are both correct, or not. Ive seen folks walking barefoot quite successfully, yet, no one is suggesting that you try it. Your feet, pack weight, daily miles, terrain, weather, etc all determine what footwear you should use. That choice should be made months ahead of the Camino and tested months ahead of the Camino. You should have 100 miles on your footwear before you make up your mind that is what your using. Also, socks are an integral part of the footwear and should be chosen at the same time. Put on your fully loaded pack and go to the shoe store (REI). If your walking in the hot dry summer you really don't want waterproof footwear. So, try on some full shank full on hiking boots, some mid weight hiking boots/shoes and some ultra lite shoes. Choose the socks to go with the shoes you pick. Walk around the store a while. When you find what feels good, buy em, and put a few miles on em. If they work keep em, if they don't back they go.

Good conversation. Concur, your feet are your feet and you should get the type of shoes that works for you. I have my non-waterproof hiking boots which are 1.5 size larger, and my always-reliable training running shoes. I have done my training walks using both, and my feet are feeling good during and after the walk. I am taking both. Now I need to find a satisfactory pair of sandals--that works for me--and I will be ready (at least footwear-wise).

Thanks for all of your opinions would you gonwith gore tex or not as Im starting in september?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi know there are countless threads and information on footwear, I guess different footwear for different people.

I am walking the camino in September, I have some old Salomon grouted hiking boots but I am now looking at some Salomon speeders gtx3 trail running shoes what do people think?

Thanks!!
Before I read all I have missed, i walked with the Gtx2 and did just fine. Gortex is like a religion, you believe in it or not. Experience, in this case, l has tought me to believe. I don't know if I am blister prine or not, but have always walked in Gortex and never had serious foot skin issues. And I am one of the ynfortunate people who walked for weeks amd weeks in May 2013 in mud, so I like Gortex! No smiley face....

How long will you be walking for? One of my best walking experinces has been with treking sandals. Who cares if you get rained on?! You get cleaned in an instant, but this was mid-May or early June. And they have good arch support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a system for wet weather. I had a ultra lite hooded rain jacket, ultralite rain pants, gators and goretex boots. I was rained on the entire last day walking into Santiago, and stayed completely dry. The jacket and pants also worked for the outside layer in colder weather. The gators kept rain from running into my boots. The 'problem' with goretex, or any waterproofing membrane, is that it also keeps moisture in your boot-which is not good. It also takes at least twice as long to dry out a goretex boot. In warmer weather, many folks allow their non-goretex boot just to get wet and wear a waterproof sock liner instead. You may want to consider something like a Sealskins liner. That way their feet stay drier(not completely dry) and the boot doesnt need to dry out before wearing. Goretex boot are also very hot in warm weather and extremely hot (cant wear em) in hot weather.

Annie has lots of good advice and experience, but it is misleading to suggest that only one person has ever had this situation. .

For the record, I did not mean to imply one person has had this problem ever, in the history of the shoe discussion.:rolleyes:
I meant one person had complained personally to me about taking my advice to buy shoes 1 to 1.5 sizes too large.:p

When people ask for advice, there is no contract to take that advice. But they asked, so should expect a reply based on that person's experience, I think?

In the end, as ALWAYS, every person should do whatever the heck makes their little hearts happy, as it should be.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everyone's feet and fitness level is different. Shoes / boots that are ideal for one person may not work for another. As a tall (183 cm) heavy (114 kg) fellow, I must have the addition support that mid-high Keen hiking boots provide. Also, my rucksack weight is regularly too heavy (my bad) and I know it. But I digress...

Someone who is shorter and lighter, and perhaps carrying less of a load will do as well with lower trail hiking or running shoes. But, before you make the investment either way, try to assess whether you can walk all day, in all weather conditions with a loaded rucksack in the footwear you choose. Practice in the sports shop with various shoes. Bring your loaded rucksack. I use a 7 kg sack of kitty litter in my rucksack for practice. Once I add a couple liters of water, I am up to the target 10 -12 kg I customarily carry...at least at first... But, again, I digress...

The height of the shoe, and the stiffness of the sole a influence mostly by your size, total (all-in) walking weight and physical capabilities. Between trail runners and low hiking shoes, please know that trail runners are intended for folks running trails over varied ground with either no rucksack or just a small day bag. Hiking shoes have additional cushioning, thickness and stiffness in the middle layers of the sole and upper to provide improved stability and comfort.

Beyond this, remember the sizing mantra. Start with your street shoe size. Add 1/2 size for two pair of socks, another 1/2 size for foot swelling after several hours walking under load, and a final 1/2 size to account EITHER for splaying of feet (widening) after several weeks of sustained walking under load, AND to provide enough room in the tow box so your toes NEVER bump against or rub the inside of the toe box on a downhill stretch.

That is why my US size 11 (45 cm) street feet, wear a size 13 (47) Keen Targhee on Camino. This is listed as two full sizes larger than my street size. However, Keen lists these boots on their web site as running 1/2 size small. So, the size 13 (47) is actually a size 12.5 (46). In the end, they fit comfortably and work outstanding FOR ME. I have worn the same pair of Keen boots for three Caminos.

After each pilgrimage, I send them into a firm that specializes in factory specification resoling of most all brands of hiking and running shoes that have vulcanized (melted and glued on) outsoles. I do this because resoling costs 2/3 the price of new boots, and this pair is so well broken in that they fit like gloves. I have another brand new pair of the same boots in the cabinet, provided free by Keen in a warranty claim after my first Camino. However, they do not get used until the upper boots become unserviceable.

All this said, some people have feet that do not swell after a day's walk with a rucksack, or splay after several weeks on the trail. I understand and respect that, as everyone's feet are different. However, at the risk of incurring the wrath of DougFitz, I will be categorical for a moment...NEVER, EVER buy shoes in your street size to walk the Camino. You WILL be sorry.

The cause of many blisters and too many lost toenails is wearing shoes / boots that are too small for the purpose. Also, you must learn how to lace your shoes / boots so that the foot is well supported and the heel is retained in the heel counter. If your foot can slide forward, your toes will strike the inside of the toe box repeatedly. This causes irritation, blisters, bleeding and lost toenails. Have a look at this web resource for lacing suggestions: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

Also, search You Tube for "how to lace hiking boots." There are tons of videos. There are too many variations to describe. Some are for style and fashion. Other methods are functional. On the Camino, always opt for function and utility over style. You will not be sorry.

I hope this helps.

Well said, just take your time and try different shoes when you find it you will know, a good test is to push your foot forward inside your shoes it should not "bottom out" if does get a size up, that is a sure sign for loosing a nail on downhill, another important thing lacing the shoes plays a crucial role.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back