• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear

elsbeth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April (2017)
I am near ready for my first Camino but still have one issue left undecided - my choice of footwear for the Camino Frances. I have heard/read all different opinions and not sure which to choose. I know it will be boots, not sandals or sneakers, but should they be mid-height or is low okay? I don't have what some would call 'weak ankles' but will I need the support of a mid-height boots as the days wear on? And size - I've read of swelling and the need to buy a half size larger. I know my feet are the most important thing I will bring and want to treat them right.
thank you,
elsbeth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's a mountain of information on footwear spread throughout the forum. It's a difficult one to answer because everyones needs are different, I took walking shoes for the day and Teva Lite sandals as back up, I ended up using these for walking for a few days to dry out the odd blister. My shoes were adequate for the journey, having said that I didn't encounter any deep mud or flowing water, you don't mention what time of year you are going, this could have a bearing on your decision.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I am near ready for my first Camino but still have one issue left undecided - my choice of footwear for the Camino Frances. I have heard/read all different opinions and not sure which to choose. I know it will be boots, not sandals or sneakers, but should they be mid-height or is low okay? I don't have what some would call 'weak ankles' but will I need the support of a mid-height boots as the days wear on? And size - I've read of swelling and the need to buy a half size larger. I know my feet are the most important thing I will bring and want to treat them right.
thank you,
elsbeth

Hi elsbeth,
One thing you will not want is heavy, high-profile boots, right? But something to consider is that lightweight, mid-profile boots - while appropriate enough for the camino if you are comfortable in them - do not actually offer that much in the way of stability. If you find boots that work for you, great! But they are camino overkill for most walkers.

I used to wear boots. I turned my ankle more often in my boots then I ever do in my trailrunners, hiking shoes or hiking sandals. Stability (aside from that offered by a high-profile boot) is more affected by the platform of the shoe, and can be enhanced greatly with trekking poles.

So my advice to any new hikers - with a light backpack and terrain as moderate as the camino - is to start with hiking shoes. Stable platform, good grip. Low profile, so more breathable and quick-drying, even if they are waterproof. I find it easier to avoid blisters and foot/nerve pain with hiking shoes, rather than boots - especially for a novice hiker.

It really is difficult to say with certainty about the half-size up thing. Sizes between brands are not particularly standard. And my additional problem - as for many - is my feet aren't particularly standard either (they have a half size difference. So it depends.

Make sure when you try on footwear that it fits such that your heel is nicely locked in, and you can wiggle your toes freely in the toebox - they should not hit the toe of the shoe, or be pressed into the sides.

My go-to hiking footwear (even on terrain much more challenging than the camino) is the Ahnu Montara II WP hiking shoe. My left foot ranges from 6.5-7.5, and my right from 7-8, depending on the brand. With Ahnu, size 8 works for me. This shoe may not work for you, but it illustrates perfectly all the characteristics I would advise looking for.

Oh, and always use aftermarket insoles!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have no issues with ankle then trail runner, which means low cut.

I started with boots in my first few Caminos. Bad blisters even if they are one size bigger. Overkill for me. With trail runners it was so much more comfortable walking the whole with it, minimal or no blisters, lighter (means faster walking), ankles seems fine, and no need to get one size bigger.

I walked in low cut trail runners in my normal trail runner size, but don't have ankle problems. I never thought I needed more shoe/boot than I had. I walked with a woman wearing leather boots. She thought that was the best choice. The best footwear is always the one that fits YOU well. One thing, I noticed you have listed on your profile a Camino in April of this year. My advice is decide SOON, so you can start walking in whatever shoes/boots you choose. April is only 2 months away and you do not want to be starting out in footwear you have not tested with multiple days walking for consecutive hours. Hopefully your local weather in Greenville will allow you to trial your footwear before you get on the Camino. Best wishes! I'll be on the Norte in April:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I recommend Altra Lone Peak trail runners in size W9. ;)
Ha, I did use the Altra Lone Peak...but the size 9 would have provided extra storage space:p

Hello,
In April it may be muddy. My Nike sneaks worked just fine for summer/fall pilgrimages. Boots for winter. Know your foot. That is all I can recommend.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my second Camino I took both mid-height boots and light walking shoes--both Keen. I used the boots 2 days out of 32 when there was either snow or deep mud (it was a March-April Camino).
Now I don't even consider taking boots, and stick with just the shoes (Keen Mackenzie).
[Edit~I see now that the Mackenzie is now being revived again and is now available as the Mackenzie II. It's a fabulous and very light shoe; like a technical sandal but with mesh to keep stones and stuff out. After having to resort to help from Forum friends to get the original after it had been discontinued, this is very good news!]

Last edited:
Ha, I did use the Altra Lone Peak...but the size 9 would have provided extra storage space:p
And my big feet would be crammed into a size 9. :p

I wore really lightweight New Balance Vazee Summit trail runners. They fit me great, and I got one tiny blister the day that I didn't take time to air out my feet at rest stops. Probably more important in the summer when I walked than in the spring.

thank you,
elsbeth
On my second Camino I took both mid-height boots and light walking shoes--both Keen. I used the boots 2 days out of 32 when there was either snow or deep mud (it was a March-April Camino).
Now I don't even consider taking boots, and stick with just the shoes (Keen Mackenzie).
[Edit~I see now that the Mackenzie is now being revived again and is now available as the Mackenzie II. It's a fabulous and very light shoe; like a technical sandal but with mesh to keep stones and stuff out. After having to resort to help from Forum friends to get the original after it had been discontinued, this is very good news!]
thank you,
elsbeth
Dear friend from my experience the best of the best are HOKA boots!
Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Elsbeth,

You're in Greenville, I'm in Asheville. REI is a good place to get shoes, there's an active Camino community here in AVL and in Greenville -- so I think that the staff there know the difference between the Camino and the Appalachian Trail. If you're a member, you can return shoes if they don't work even after you've worn them for a while.

If you have foot issues (I had plenty): you may want to go to Foot RX in South Asheville. They have a pedorthist on staff who solved all my foot issues. I did the CF with no blisters or foot issues thanks to him, which, given my feet, was a miracle. If you go this route, call ahead for an appointment with him (Scott is his name).

If you start with your footwear now, you have lots of time to sort things out. Including sorting out which socks work best with whatever footwear you choose.

And one more thing: if you want a good training route, we have been developing the Asheville Camino, around 17 miles around town. It's fun and has the varied terrain that the CF does. PM me if you want more info on this!

Buen Camino!
Priscilla

@elsbeth whatever decision you make, make it soon. Two months is not a lot of time to break-in, and break your feet into, a new pair of boots or shoes. I like to put a minimum 100km in a pair before I decide whether they are keepers or charity shop. Stuff that feels great in the shop and cushty on the carpets at home can eat your feet half-way through the third day.

Why not wear whatever you are walking in now? My boots for my first camino, Brashers, were five years old when we went for it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And size - I've read of swelling and the need to buy a half size larger.
It is better to get any footwear properly fitted rather than just buying a half or full size larger. Go to a store that has a proper testing ramp, do it later in the day and do as much walking as possible beforehand, and take your trekking socks, not street socks. Salespeople need to make sales, but at the same time, they are there to help you get fitted properly, and that is what is most important to you. If they are not doing that, I would suggest going somewhere else.

thank you,
elsbeth

I am currently walking the Camino Frances and I'm wearing the same model of boots that I hiked the Appalachian Trail in last year, some may say they are overkill but I find these suit me that me best, tried trail runners and light boots but didn't find them supportive enough.
Make sure whatever you decide that you do some decent miles beforehand to test them out.
Scarpa
Mens R-Evo GTX Boot

We all have our favorites but as others have said, the Frances is mostly easy walking and doesn't require heavy boots like some other trails might.

And many suggest a larger size than you usually wear. I was skeptical but bought 1/2 size larger than I usually do and was very glad I did. I could have even gone slightly larger. Your feet do swell or spread and cramped toes can really be painful on the descents.

Having a back up pair of light shoes or sandals that can be used to hike in is a plus. There were a few times when my feet really needed a break from my regular botas!

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for taking the time to send me a reply. After much consideration and lots of self-questioning I've decided that I will just wear the low-cut la Sportivas that I've been wearing for a year. They are broken in, I know they fit and I have no problems with my ankles now so they should work just fine. Also carrying a pair of teva sandals as my second shoe. I am relieved to have finally made a decision and it turns out it was an easy one.
Thank you again,
elsbeth

Last edited:
Hi, Elsbeth,

You're in Greenville, I'm in Asheville. REI is a good place to get shoes, there's an active Camino community here in AVL and in Greenville -- so I think that the staff there know the difference between the Camino and the Appalachian Trail. If you're a member, you can return shoes if they don't work even after you've worn them for a while.

If you have foot issues (I had plenty): you may want to go to Foot RX in South Asheville. They have a pedorthist on staff who solved all my foot issues. I did the CF with no blisters or foot issues thanks to him, which, given my feet, was a miracle. If you go this route, call ahead for an appointment with him (Scott is his name).

If you start with your footwear now, you have lots of time to sort things out. Including sorting out which socks work best with whatever footwear you choose.

And one more thing: if you want a good training route, we have been developing the Asheville Camino, around 17 miles around town. It's fun and has the varied terrain that the CF does. PM me if you want more info on this!

Buen Camino!
Priscilla

Greetings Priscilla,
I was in Asheville just the other night as we went to hear Rebecca G. speak on her Camino experiences. I did try on a pair of boots while there and the staff was very knowledgable. I am a member of REI and have tried out a couple of diff pairs here in G'ville. Someone at the gathering also mentioned Foot RX - I will tuck the name way for the future.

And thank you for the offer to walk the Asheville Camino. I have been walking around our hilly town plus continuing our weekly hikes in Pisgah and we are also working our way through the complete Foothills trail. After my feet I think my training is the most important.

Thank you for your advice,
elsbeth

Last edited:
Greetings Priscilla,
I was in Asheville just the other night as we went to hear Rebecca G. speak on her Camino experiences. I did try on a pair of boots while there and the staff was very knowledgable. I am a member of REI and have tried out a couple of diff pairs here in G'ville. Someone at the gathering also mentioned Foot RX - I will tuck the name way for the future.

And thank you for the offer to walk the Asheville Camino. I have been walking around our hilly town plus continuing our weekly hikes in Pisgah and we are also working our way through the complete Foothills trail. After my feet I think my training is the most important.

Thank you for your advise,
elsbeth

I was going to attend Rebecca's talk Monday, but was not feeling great. Maybe our paths will cross one day. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did my Camino in La Sportiva Helios, was cool, light and perfect. My next Camino will be between La Sportiva Bushido or Saucony, Peregrine 7. Trailrunners are getting lighter and tougher each year.
Buen Camino.

Hoka's. Mid rise, light as shoes, soft as butter. I hike in them year round. REI web site.

I second the Hoka hiking shoes. Most of my life I have worn leather boots. Since discovering the Hoka tor tech mid shoes, never go back to heavier boots.
The benefits of a mid cut is that it is easier to keep the Water, mud or debries from entering.... This model also has an eVent layer that provides reasonable water resistance. I AM CURRENTLY using this in the winter. Buenos Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi. I'm going to be on the Camino in mid April for my first time. I've been wondering the same thing...what to wear on my feet. I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii now and hike in Merell sandals. Even when my feet get wet..walking too close to shore , my feet are fine. Would they be warm enough with socks to trek over the Pyrenees?

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.