• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear

VMalone

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances
Hello again,

My Camino Frances commences June 5. My hope is to do the complete camino 'to the end of the world' within 37 days. I am working now on my fitness and doing a reasonable amount of training/walking.
Having walked over 50 kms over Saturday and Sunday, in pleasant Irish conditions, I'm now wondering is my footwear correct, given that this is my first camino and I have no experience of walking for a long duration in warm temperatures.
I like good ankle support, sturdy footwear and maybe prone to blisters!. I am currently wearing boots (Brasher made now by Berghaus). They weigh 1.6 kilo in weight, leather and goretex lined and are very comfortable (a half size bigger than by usual size). I would be very grateful to hear from experienced camino walkers as to whether or not this footwear might cause me problems in the heat of June/July? If so, can you recommend appropriate UK sourced boots?

Ta very much.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello again,

My Camino Frances commences June 5. My hope is to do the complete camino 'to the end of the world' within 37 days. I am working now on my fitness and doing a reasonable amount of training/walking.
Having walked over 50 kms over Saturday and Sunday, in pleasant Irish conditions, I'm now wondering is my footwear correct, given that this is my first camino and I have no experience of walking for a long duration in warm temperatures.
I like good ankle support, sturdy footwear and maybe prone to blisters!. I am currently wearing boots (Brasher made now by Berghaus). They weigh 1.6 kilo in weight, leather and goretex lined and are very comfortable (a half size bigger than by usual size). I would be very grateful to hear from experienced camino walkers as to whether or not this footwear might cause me problems in the heat of June/July? If so, can you recommend appropriate UK sourced boots?

Ta very much.

Expressing opinions on footware on this forum is a minefield - and very subjective it is, too. I'll risk it anyway : I have seen the most blisters on pilgrims who wore sturdy, leather boots - the same type of boots that are worn here in the UK by experienced walkers.
My opinion? I think I don't think they're adapted to walking in Spain in the Summer months, I prefer the lighter , 'aerated' options.
My favourite at the moment are Meindl but there are so many other makes and styles, plenty to choose from. I include the link just as an example of the type I mean.... :)
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/produ...70-mid-gore-tex-surround-walking-boots/211403

You should be able to do the Camino in much lighter footwear in summer, but that said, my favourite footwear is a pair of all leather Scarpa boots that are about the same weight. They don't give me any problems. If they fit, and you don't want to invest in new boots, they should be suitable, but don't wear winter-weight socks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have seen the most blisters on pilgrims who wore sturdy, leather boots - the same type of boots that are worn here in the UK by experienced walkers.
As you say, you enter a minefield. My experience is exactly the opposite, but I also admit that I wasn't attempting to be consistent in my observations. My own experience is that I have had more blisters wearing low cut boots and shoes than I have ever had wearing boots.

domigee and Doug, Thank you both very much for your views.
Doug, I have read many of your previous remarks on various subjects and you impress me as a 'hardened' caminoer (that's meant to be complimentary!).
I want to go with your view, primarily because I really like my boots,the support etc. I intend to be physically in reasonably good shape for my trip and I want to prepare as well as possible to ensure my feet hold up. I'm slightly concerned my feet might get too hot. Tell me, do you wear liner socks as well as light-weight socks?

Last edited:
I always wear leather boots. For the past couple of years cheap steel-toecap builders' boots but with replacement gel insoles. Even for the Via Francigena in July and August in temperatures up to 38C. Apart from one occasion when I bought new and poor quality socks mid-way I have had no blister problems. I always wear two layers of socks: Coolmax liners plus an outer sock that I vary with the temperature. In hot weather just a second Coolmax liner. I have seen people walk in all sorts of footwear with equal success. Just be sure to give whatever you fancy a realistic testing well in advance. If you can then use them as your regular daily footwear as much as possible. That way you can diagnose likely problems early and overcome the problems associated with switching suddenly from one type of footwear to another.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My experience is the opposite too. I wear full boots, (Lowa GTX Camino's) with no blister problems in 5000+ kilometre's of camino walking including Spain in summer. I also use the two sock system, Coolmax liners and Bridgedale merino wool hikers. And vaseline.

However, I am used to wearing heavy boots at home (I wear combat boots usually, I don't even own a pair of shoes or trainers) and need the ankle support when hiking.

Not everyone will be happy in heavy boots is Spain in summer, and everyone is different (some even swear by sandals only).

So, there is no right and wrong except what is right or wrong for you. You mention that you like good ankle support, that points to boots, especially if you are used to them. Keep up the training walking, but maybe try another alternative like trail runners to compare if that is possible.

Davey

Hello again,

Ta very much.

I have used the Brasher/Berghaus GTX leather boots for many years in the UK but on my first Camino in May/June 2014 I found my feet got really hot, so when I went back in May/June 2015 I used Merrel Moab mid-height boots which were much more comfortable.

Everyone has their own personal choices so I'm sure you will get lots of different ideas/recommendations.

Tiptoeing respectfully through the minefield...in my opinion 1.6 kg goretex boots are not essential wear for a summer Camino Francés. You will find that the majority of the way is on well trodden paths, roads and tracks interspersed with the very occasional rough track. Keep in mind that chances are it will be very warm and the ground will be very hot. Your feet will swell and sweat. I would recommend getting lighter footwear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello again,

Ta very much.

If you walked 50 km and back to back and no problems. Seem bit too heavy to me but your choice

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the Camino Frances in June-July and in over a month of walking it rained on me once, maybe twice, so for me waterproof shoes would have served no purpose. I wore non-waterproof Merrell hiking shoes and they worked great.
ultreia

Hello again,

Ta very much.

Goody another shoe question (love talking about 'em).

Wore Anatom leather boots last year on the Frances (May/June). I got castigated by my Salomon wearing Camino Family. But only one blister and that was due to a ice hockey injury when we took on the French in the corridor of the St Nicolas Albergue. (rolled up socks as the puck & walking poles as hockey sticks) :)

In June 17 I'm expecting it hotter out of Lisbon, so I'll be sporting Keen shoes & sandals combo!
I'll let you know which Olympic sport is attempted :)

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello again,

Ta very much.
I have done 2 complete CF, one in the Fall and one in the Spring. Waterproof trail runners were the best for me.

Sandals for me. The Norte in early spring, then the CF in spring and autumn.

Thank you to each and all for your help:(:(.
Speaking of minefields, I've now created one for myself. What do I do now?
I've got to be careful with what I might step in to!!
But I'll be there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back