• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

footwear

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
I realize that footwear is a personal preference, and everyone is so different. I'm just struggling with a decision, and was hoping someone might offer an insight I hadn't considered.

My most important gear is my footwear. I did Camino Ingles and Finsterra last June and wore Oboz hiking shoes. They were perfect support, but not water proof. I quickly learned the importance of waterproof shoes.

I will return to walk the same route this year, starting late May. I will only be carrying a day pack with a spare pair of shoes and rain gear. I realize one doesn't need boots to hike through Galicia in May. I would gladly buy the Oboz Sawtooth hiking shoe, but it rubs on my outer anklebone. I'm considering a step down to the Oboz Mystic hiking shoe, which is waterproof but doesn't offer as much side support or traction. For this reason, I'm actually considering a mid boot--the Vasque Breeze III mid. The boot offers more support than the Oboz Mystic, although it is heavier in weight.

My husband thinks I should go with lighter weight footwear, because I'll be carrying those when I'm not wearing them. The shoe sales person highly recommended the Vasque Breeze, stating it's the most recommended by hikers and sturdier for a 120 mile hike.

Thoughts on boots vs. shoes for Camino Ingles & Finsterra?

Thanks for any insights you can offer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found a mid-boot was good - for me....
Why would you be carrying them when walking? :confused:

I found my smaller vasque mantra to be great on the Camino (Pamplona to SdC to Finisterre). My only problem was that I walked in the summer and had heat rash on my feet for most of it. I'm hoping my Merryll Moabs will be good for my next Camino (Lisbon to SdC). Boots are overkill for me as I have strong ankles but need most support then sneakers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found a mid-boot was good - for me....
Why would you be carrying them when walking? :confused:

It rained intensely from Ferrol to Santiago. For that reason, I kept a pair of dry shoes and socks in my pack for when the first pair became water-logged. This year I will have waterproof footwear and I also purchased gators.

It rained intensely from Ferrol to Santiago. For that reason, I kept a pair of dry shoes and socks in my pack for when the first pair became water-logged. This year I will have waterproof footwear and I also purchased gators.
Don't have unrealistic expectations of "waterproof" boots or shoes.

I have had multiple pairs of great Salomon GTX boots/shoes labelled waterproof. None of them have stayed dry for long in the intense rain that you describe. They do stay dry for a long time in light rain, wet grass, shallow puddles. In intense rain, the water runs off my rain pants onto the top of the shoe, which eventually becomes water-logged. Perhaps gaiters would help, and I've thought about making a lightweight waterproof pair, but I haven't bothered yet.

No single pair of shoes/boots will be perfect for all conditions that you will probably encounter. I suppose that is why you are carrying a second pair. However, if this is exclusively for rainy conditions, I would wonder what the advantage is, of having a wet pair in your back pack and another soon-to-be-wet pair on your feet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear whatever is comfortable and never really concern myself if my feet get wet. In my experience they will whatever you do.

I love my Tevas both low cut hikers and sandles. Both have support I need and dry pretty quickly. I wouldn't do waterproof for me because my feet would sweat too much. Whatever you decide walk a few miles in them before you go and make sure they provide the support you need. Good luck!

On another note, I got a new pair of trainers a few weeks ago and they are the best! They firm to your feet and provide support and cushion which helps for my flat feet! They are called KURUS check them out they have widths too. I have no financial interest or gain in this suggestion.

Micah

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't have unrealistic expectations of "waterproof" boots or shoes. I have had multiple pairs of great Salomon GTX boots/shoes labelled waterproof. None of them have stayed dry for long in the intense rain that you describe.

Susan,

I take it your experience was that your boots did not keep your feet dry, and therefore you think you need "waterproof" boots. I regret to tell you that waterproof boots, even with gaiters, will not keep you dry in Galician rain. C Clearly's experience if pretty much universal.

My solution is to wear Keen sandals in the rain (specifically Arroyo II sandals; sole of hiking boot married to a sandal top). Sure my feet get wet, but they dry very fast. Certainly overnight in an alburgue, but often even between rain showers.

I have a pair of waterproof boots. I use them when I want to keep my feet warm, not dry (same is true of almost all rain gear). Late May to June, I do not think you need to worry about warm. And waterproof boots across La Rioja on my first CF caused so many blisters (from the heat, and the sweat creating moisture inside the boots). Waterproof boots in the heat is like wearing your raincoat in the heat--not really a very comfortable situation. Mind you, I had been backpacking in the U.S. mountains for years in those exact same boots with no such problem.

YMMV, but that was my experience.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Having just hiked 111km in a pair of Scarpa leather hiking boots....and suffered greatly with blisters - I'm now looking out for something different for the Camino. Having read some advice on links through the forum, I'm swaying towards a lighter shoe with some breathability. Waterproof is good, but they can cause feet to sweat and blisters to develop.

I would like to put in a plug for the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 trail runners. I did extensive research and ordered a dozen different brands and models (free shipping both ways!) and found the Altras to be the perfect combination of cushion and support, with a wide toe box for my bunion. They are also very light weight. Many on the Forum have walked in these. There is a waterproof mid version, but after so many comments about non-breathability and long drying times, I chose the mesh non-waterproof Lone Peaks. They are hands-down the most comfortable things I have put on my "princess and the pea" feet :) With a layer of "Trail Toes Salve," my toe liners and a light weight hiker sock, I have not experienced even one hot spot!

Of course, there is no way to really know until they are tested out after walking many 25km days in a variety of weather situations! Walking El Norte, mid May to June's end. We shall see! So excited (and a bit apprehensive as the departure date approach-eth).

This forum has been a god-send! Thank you all for the kind wisdom and multiple opinions :)

Sue

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would like to put in a plug for the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 trail runners. I did extensive research and ordered a dozen different brands and models (free shipping both ways!) and found the Altras to be the perfect combination of cushion and support, with a wide toe box for my bunion. They are also very light weight. Many on the Forum have walked in these. There is a waterproof mid version, but after so many comments about non-breathability and long drying times, I chose the mesh non-waterproof Lone Peaks. They are hands-down the most comfortable things I have put on my "princess and the pea" feet :) With a layer of "Trail Toes Salve," my toe liners and a light weight hiker sock, I have not experienced even one hot spot!

Of course, there is no way to really know until they are tested out after walking many 25km days in a variety of weather situations! Walking El Norte, mid May to June's end. We shall see! So excited (and a bit apprehensive as the departure date approach-eth).

This forum has been a god-send! Thank you all for the kind wisdom and multiple opinions :)

Sue
I just got my Lone Peaks delivered today. Last year I walked in New Balance Vazee Summit, and they worked well for me, but I thought that I might like something with a little more cushion. I ordered them direct from Altra, and they have a 30 day money back guarantee, even if you have worn them, so I'll see how they do. I have them on right now, and they are very comfy.

I just got my Lone Peaks delivered today. Last year I walked in New Balance Vazee Summit, and they worked well for me, but I thought that I might like something with a little more cushion. I ordered them direct from Altra, and they have a 30 day money back guarantee, even if you have worn them, so I'll see how they do. I have them on right now, and they are very comfy.

So far, after about 40 km, they have been great. Don't know if you are thinking of using an insole, but it's hard to find a good fit because of the 3.5 inch wide toe box. I've tried about 5 different brands/models, (Superfeet, PowerStep, etc.) and so far, none feel comfortable. Certainly would help prevent some level of fatigue, injury, etc. Never worn insoles before....good luck with them!

Sue

The teva riva peak and Salomon ellipse mid gtx are both lighter than the vasque boot.
The Salomon ellipse shoe is lighter still with waterproof options.
Love my Teva Riva Peak boots. I bought them do to the Kokoda Track last year. Very comfortable boots. I will be using them for the Camino next year as well - personally I'm happy to wear the weight of the boots (versus a trail runner or sandals) for the ankle support they give me. I will take a sandal for the end of the day though (and to wear to give my feet a change while walking, terrain permitting)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Love my Teva Riva Peak boots. I bought them do to the Kokoda Track last year. Very comfortable boots. I will be using them for the Camino next year as well - personally I'm happy to wear the weight of the boots (versus a trail runner or sandals) for the ankle support they give me. I will take a sandal for the end of the day though (and to wear to give my feet a change while walking, terrain permitting)
The only reason I'm not using my teva riva peaks on the Camino is because we are touring Spain for 3 weeks afterwards and I don't want to wear them or carry them. I can use the Salomon eclipse II's as walking around shoes (just!). :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.