• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear

Mark H

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
Hiking boots or trail runners
I’m starting my Camino France May 16th from SJJP and trying to decide on footwear.
I normally hike in Keen boots but wondering if boots are necessary on the Camino France at this time of year or should I just go with a pair of trail runners.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Mark,
Your question will produce lots of (contradictory!) answers. There are very few stages of the Camino Frances where boots will be an advantage in May/June. But if you're comfortable in Keen boots, you might want to visit a hiking store and try on Keen hiking shoes or hiking sandals. They are lighter and (in the case of sandals particularly) allow your feet to breathe thus avoiding a major cause of blisters, but may have a familiar feel to your boots.
On the other hand, a pair of eg Hoka or Altra trail runners would be lighter still and - as long as they fit properly - may need no breaking in whatsoever.
Buen Camino!

Since I first walked the Frances in 2016 I have noticed a change over to more and more pilgrims walking in trail runners. I wore boots my first two years and had every foot problem known to pilgrims. My last three years have been in trail rummers with nary a blister. I walk in Altra Timps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mark,
Your question will produce lots of (contradictory!) answers. There are very few stages of the Camino Frances where boots will be an advantage in May/June. But if you're comfortable in Keen boots, you might want to visit a hiking store and try on Keen hiking shoes or hiking sandals. They are lighter and (in the case of sandals particularly) allow your feet to breathe thus avoiding a major cause of blisters, but may have a familiar feel to your boots.
On the other hand, a pair of eg Hoka or Altra trail runners would be lighter still and - as long as they fit properly - may need no breaking in whatsoever.
Buen Camino!
Hi Tandem
I have a pair of Keen walking sandals which are very comfortable, I’m going to go and try on a pair of Keen hiking shoes tomorrow 👍
thank you

Boots are probably unnecessary. I hiked the CF the first time in Keen hiking shoes. Since then, I have switched to Merrell Moabs (I like the fit better for my feet). I’ve also hiked in trail running shoes. All have worked very well for me. The key is finding a shoe that works well for you.

I think this is probably the number 1 question asked on any Camino forum and the answer is - whatever works best for you. But - I personally think boots are heavy and unnecessary for the Camino. And even people who hike long distance wilderness trails are switching to lighter, more breathable, more flexible trail running shoes that also dry quickly. Whatever you pick - size up to accommodate swelling. And the right shoe/sock combination is extremely important. I recommend double socks - I wear injinji toe sock with either injinji or darn tough merino wool socks - to prevent blisters. It is best to try on your shoes with the sock combination that you will be wearing. And whatever combination you get - do some over 10 mile walks in them to be sure they will work for you. GIve your toes plenty of room.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Up to you. Whatever works best for YOUR feet. Whatever your choice, be sure to test them prior by doing several 5-10 kilometer walks in them while wearing whatever socks you have decided upon as well.

Regarding sizing up, would you size up a half size or a full size? Most of my hiking or running shoes I already size up to the next half size, but with extra socks, do you think a full size up would be best?

I think this is probably the number 1 question asked on any Camino forum and the answer is - whatever works best for you. But - I personally think boots are heavy and unnecessary for the Camino. And even people who hike long distance wilderness trails are switching to lighter, more breathable, more flexible trail running shoes that also dry quickly. Whatever you pick - size up to accommodate swelling. And the right shoe/sock combination is extremely important. I recommend double socks - I wear injinji toe sock with either injinji or darn tough merino wool socks - to prevent blisters. It is best to try on your shoes with the sock combination that you will be wearing. And whatever combination you get - do some over 10 mile walks in them to be sure they will work for you. GIve your toes plenty of room.
Agree with the importance of the right socks. Merino wool are great and can be found in different weights. Another good option besides those listed are Wright socks that are made with a liner built in.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’m starting my Camino France May 16th from SJJP and trying to decide on footwear.
I normally hike in Keen boots but wondering if boots are necessary on the Camino France at this time of year or should I just go with a pair of trail runners.
I walked Primitivo last year in hiking shoes - somewhere between a trail runner and boot. During the walk my plantar fasciitis returned and I taped my foot per YouTube instructions. I believe this caused mortons neuroma to develop and I had pain for months after returning home. I have since learned the value of zero drop shoes and wide toe boxes. My shoe of choice is now Altra Olympia which has both plus a plate in the sole to reduce effect of rocks on the trail. If I walk much in anything else now the pain from mortons neuroma returns. Something to consider. There are a lot of other foot problems besides blisters.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Up to you. Whatever works best for YOUR feet. Whatever your choice, be sure to test them prior by doing several 5-10 kilometer walks in them while wearing whatever socks you have decided upon as well.
Haven't you answered your own question? Why would you change just because you are walking something called Camino instead of a Hike?
The reason I asked this question is because I am normally hiking in Mid Wales UK, the ground in this area is very boggy and wet and we also have rocky paths.
1 hiking boots help to keep your feet dry when crossing boggy wet ground.
2 hiking boots give your ankle support and protection if you get foot roll or stubble on the rocky paths.
Maybe my question should have been are hiking boots necessary for walking the Camino France route

Agree with the importance of the right socks. Merino wool are great and can be found in different weights. Another good option besides those listed are Wright socks that are made with a liner built in.
Yes I use Merino wool socks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

thank you for a very helpful answer

The reason I asked this question is because I am normally hiking in Mid Wales UK, the ground in this area is very boggy and wet and we also have rocky paths.
2 hiking boots give your ankle support and protection if you get foot roll or stubble on the rocky paths.
Maybe my question should have been are hiking boots necessary for walking the Camino France route
The answer to that question would be “probably not”. Apart from a few notorious stretches, the descent from Alto de Perdon for instance, most of the Frances is on compacted surfaces of one formulation or another. That said I’d personally incline to familiarity. If I’m setting out on a 500 mile stroll I want to be absolutely confident that my feet and my footwear are well acquainted and comfortable in their own company

Boots are not necessary - especially in the warmer months - but I wear them always. I’m in Cumbria - so a similar climate to you - and I walk a lot. I practically live in lightweight leather boots (Zamberlan ultra-light). I’m used to them, they fit and for me it’s normal.

I actually down-size from 46 to 45 on Camino, because I switch to two thin pairs of socks.

It’s a very personal decision.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is one of the most discussed questions on any Camino forum.
Personally, having walked it over 20 times, I prefer New Balance Trail Runners with a deep, wide toe box unless you are USED to boots and have worn boots a lot or have very weak ankles. I see more discarded boots along the Camino than any other shoe. Most of the trail is easy walking - not a mountain hike. See my blog post for photos:
Terrain of Camino

Regarding sizing up, would you size up a half size or a full size? Most of my hiking or running shoes I already size up to the next half size, but with extra socks, do you think a full size up would be best?
Since you already hike with shoes a half size up, why not try adding heavier socks with those for awhile to see if they feel too tight; with loosened laces, possibly they will still be fine. If not, you can then consider going up a full size.
I am comfortable with only an additional half size as anything more has me tripping over the fronts, but possibly my gait is more of a shuffle than most people.🙄

The answer to that question would be “probably not”. Apart from a few notorious stretches, the descent from Alto de Perdon for instance, most of the Frances is on compacted surfaces of one formulation or another. That said I’d personally incline to familiarity. If I’m setting out on a 500 mile stroll I want to be absolutely confident that my feet and my footwear are well acquainted and comfortable in their own company
500 miles strolls you must be quite a boy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is one of the most discussed questions on any Camino forum.
Personally, having walked it over 20 times, I prefer New Balance Trail Runners with a deep, wide toe box unless you are USED to boots and have worn boots a lot or have very weak ankles. I see more discarded boots along the Camino than any other shoe. Most of the trail is easy walking - not a mountain hike. See my blog post for photos:
Terrain of Camino
Hi
Very useful and interesting blog you have, I’m looking forward to reading it in more detail
Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
StJpdP to Fisterra & Muxia on the Frances; Bayonne to Muxia on the Norte, both about 500 miles not counting the strolls around town in the evening. I wore Brashers 'till the last pair wore out, its Scarpas these days :)
I’m hoping to do all of the Frances starting SJJP 16th May finish 19th June my birthday
I also like Brashers although the zip off leg version are slightly heavier

Please read this summary guidance on how to fit your footwear. Then you can also read an assortment of less organized opinions on this thread. Bottom line - get the size that suits your feet and socks the best.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gotcha, I understand.
No, actual hiking boots are not necessary but if that's what's most comfortable and works wear them. I see many pilgrims wearing boots instead of shoes and I also see them happily marching into Santiago wearing them. My preference are the hiking shoes, Oboz and Merrell brands. They're perfect for me and they also make the models I like in a slightly taller, mid or ankle high. You see a lot of pilgrims wearing those.
On one Frances I walked I wore New Balance trail runners. Good shoes, but were not the right choice for me. In retrospect I would have worn good old Merrells or Oboz as by the time I reached Santiago those New Balance's were outright done for. Trashed. Whereas I have one pair of Oboz with over a thousand miles on them.

I know there's a lot of advice on this forum to the contrary, but I have over 2500 miles on Camino walks and even more counting backpacking trips and military marches. I have never sized up and never found the need to. On the Camino my feet at 7:00 am when I start my walk are still the same size 11.5-D at about 3:00 pm when I finish my walk. They have never become a 12 to 12.5-EEE. If anything by the end of the Camino they seem to fit looser which I credit to the shoes becoming more stretched out from wearing for so long everyday, getting wet and dry etc and from my losing weight on the Camino, which no doubt means less downward pressure on my feet. I've always wondered if those that size up have a medical condition perhaps that cause their feet to swell. If so they should probably denote that when recommending it.

I've always wondered if those that size up have a medical condition perhaps that cause their feet to swell.
I guess being curious is one thing, but I think there is good reason to think that exercise induced oedema is relatively common, particularly as one gets older. Of course, if the condition persists, it's probably worth seeking medical advice and determining if there are other causes that might respond to medical treatment.

There are other reasons for feet to both lengthen and broaden, but that's another conversation.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I guess being curious is one thing, but I think there is good reason to think that exercise induced oedema is relatively common, particularly as one gets older. Of course, if the condition persists, it's probably worth seeking medical advice and determining if there are other causes that might respond to medical treatment.

There are other reasons for feet to both lengthen and broaden, but that's another conversation.
That's exactly it. Advice given on here by older pilgrims who have physical conditions isn't necessarily good advice for everyone. If I had six toes on one of my feet instead of the standard five my advice on footwear choice would be for a very small group of pilgrims.

I bought 6 pairs of Darn Tough quarter crew socks, but now I am looking at Injinji Adults' Mini Toe Socks and Wrightsock Coolmesh 2's and wondering if they would be better for blister protection, allowing my feet to breathe, and feet swelling? I was going to take some Vaseline and grease my feet up inside the Darn Tough socks, but they would be messy afterwards, right?

It also would be cool to try hiking sandals, are these ones well regarded? Do they squash down to keep as a second pair to wear after a long day, whilst sitting around? Or should I buy some $5 flip flops (thongs to us Aussies) and squash them into the bottom of my bag?

As far as the socks go - try all of them on long walks at home. I have used WrightSocks for all of my Caminos and they work well for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As far as the socks go - try all of them on long walks at home. I have used WrightSocks for all of my Caminos and they work well for me
As far as the socks go - try all of them on long walks at home. I have used WrightSocks for all of my Caminos and they work well for me.
if we find we have to size up our shoes do we also size up the socks? i am finally able to train longer distances with my pack for leaving in less than a month and have been disappointed to find out i have to get new shoes since my toes are now hitting the end. my socks also start out as usual but wonder if i should start larger in those too. the concern there is then the will be bunching up to start…. idk- any comments? i guess i’m wondering in essence- how is it best to fit the socks? (darn tough quarter length outer with thinner REI merino liner or injinji)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
if we find we have to size up our shoes do we also size up the socks? i am finally able to train longer distances with my pack for leaving in less than a month and have been disappointed to find out i have to get new shoes since my toes are now hitting the end. my socks also start out as usual but wonder if i should start larger in those too. the concern there is then the will be bunching up to start…. idk- any comments? i guess i’m wondering in essence- how is it best to fit the socks? (darn tough quarter length outer with thinner REI merino liner or injinji)
Footwear is everyone's personal conundrum. I bought and returned a few different pair from REI before Camino, and considered bringing both my Keen Targhee's and Saucony Peregrine (a half size bigger, the widest trailrunner available at that time). The weight of the Targhee's was too much, and they take too many miles to break in. Am happy I stuck with the trail runners. You can wear them immediately, no break-in necessary so you still have time to decide. As for socks, I wore thin injinji toe socks and then a medium or heavy (thickness) Smart Wool over top, depending on how swollen my feet were, and also as one foot is a little bigger than the other. If you need thinner merino's to allow more room, I'm sure you can buy a pair along The Way. Good luck!

Last edited:
if we find we have to size up our shoes do we also size up the socks?
Socks generally come in 3 sizes at most - Small, Medium, Large. So, it doesn't make much sense to automatically size up from the ballpark size of Medium to the ballpark size of Large. It depends on thickness, stretchability, how your skin responds, how much room in the shoes, etc.

Wear various socks on some long training walks and see how they do. You can only determine the right socks by testing with the shoes you will be wearing.

If you are uncertain, take 3 pairs of different types of socks with you. If you decide on a favourite, wash them every night and wear them every day!

Maybe it’s because I grew up on the beach, but I’ve always felt like shoes were prisons for the feet… so I avoid wearing them whenever I can if the weather is warm enough. I love hiking in my Teva Sandals. They have a thick sole that is great for hiking & super comfy. And in a warm summer rain, you don’t have to worry about wet socks! 😉 But I also bring a light pair of merrell minimal sneakers with socks for chilly days. mostly tho, if I am walking in Spring or Summer, I prefer the Tevas. 👍🏼

Attachments

• 5EBD9837-4FD4-47D0-8C27-D15A829E3506.jpeg
    5EBD9837-4FD4-47D0-8C27-D15A829E3506.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 4

€46,-
@HikeTall agree, didn't grow up near any beach but Tevas are great. I've also walked parts of the Napoleon route barefoot... shoes/boots are great for very bad weather and in the cold (snow). But in warm weather, sandals are the only thing my feet will tolerate.

Socks generally come in 3 sizes at most - Small, Medium, Large.
Interesting. My socks come in similar sizes as shoes, but do cover 2-3 sizes. Like If you have size 42, socks usually might be size 41-42 or 42-43 or maybe 41-43. Apparently that's not the case in other countries. Learned something new today!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.