A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

For all you chocolate lovers....

2020 Camino Guides

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
LePuy, Frances, Aragones, Ingles, Vezelay, Toulosana, Muxia, Fisterra, Portugues, Sanabres
I’ve see the Museum talked about on YouTube and how people got there to find it was closed when the guide book said it should be open, here are it’s opening hours in Astorga....
It happens! Lots of hours are somewhat theoretical in Spain. It might be personal reasons or a longer shutdown.

AndreaCT

Camino(s) past & future
Fall 2016 Camino Frances to Leon
Fall 2017 Camino Frances to Finisterre
May 2019 Portuguese
I walked up and down that street and couldn't find the museum. I guess I'll have to walk another Camino to go see it.

Camino(s) past & future
CF Spring 2016
CF Autumn 2017
Astorga is a very interesting and underrated city. Stunning cathedral, rich history, good museums. The Museo Del Chocolate was a little more challenging to find than we expected, but well worth the effort. We thoroughly enjoyed the museum and the chocolate we purchased. (And some even made it home.) We learned that Mexican cacao beans were brought to Spain in the early 1500s, and Astorga became the birthplace of European chocolate. By the early 20th century, there were 50 or more chocolate manufacturers in Astorga.
Buen Camino!
--jim--

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
And there is also the claim to fame of the birth place of chocolate production in Europe for Bayonne and Biarritz in France.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
And there is also the claim to fame of the birth place of chocolate production in Europe for Bayonne and Biarritz in France.
That's symptomatic in Europe I think.
Poles and Russians both claiming they "invented" vodka.
Italians and Spaniards doing the same about pizza.
And what about prosciutto/pršut/jamon and olives in almost all Mediterranean/Adriatic countries?
Etc. :)

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Not to be the spoilsport, but am I the only one who is not wild about Spanish chocolate?
It's OK, but I don't think it's anything to write home about.
Maybe I got the wrong kind - but it was not cheap, and made in Astorga.
(A cup of chocolate with churros is totally another story..it's definitely worth writing home about.)

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
At the Chocolate Museum in Astorga in 2015 all the descriptive placards explaining how the machinery worked or who did what was in Spanish. I had found that my Spanish was good enough in most museums to understand at least half of what was written but it was better than that at the Chocolate Museum. Peg's Spanish was recent and self studied so not as good. We both enjoyed the museum a lot.

Camino(s) past & future
Planning to walk June "2017"
I walked up and down that street and couldn't find the museum. I guess I'll have to walk another Camino to go see it.
Sorry to hear that Andrea, it is fairly well signposted to the street but must admit no great signage announcing you’ve arrived. It was far down the street on the right hand side at a bend in the road. Apparently it used to be closure into the city centre. There was a plaque on a pillar that could easily be missed and no other signage that I noticed to say we had arrived. Buen Camino...

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 53 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 185 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 298 24.4%
  • June

Votes: 86 7.0%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 351 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 149 12.2%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock