• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For all you chocolate lovers....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ve see the Museum talked about on YouTube and how people got there to find it was closed when the guide book said it should be open, here are it’s opening hours in Astorga....
It happens! Lots of hours are somewhat theoretical in Spain. It might be personal reasons or a longer shutdown.

I walked up and down that street and couldn't find the museum. I guess I'll have to walk another Camino to go see it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Astorga is a very interesting and underrated city. Stunning cathedral, rich history, good museums. The Museo Del Chocolate was a little more challenging to find than we expected, but well worth the effort. We thoroughly enjoyed the museum and the chocolate we purchased. (And some even made it home.) We learned that Mexican cacao beans were brought to Spain in the early 1500s, and Astorga became the birthplace of European chocolate. By the early 20th century, there were 50 or more chocolate manufacturers in Astorga.
Buen Camino!
--jim--

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And there is also the claim to fame of the birth place of chocolate production in Europe for Bayonne and Biarritz in France.
That's symptomatic in Europe I think.
Poles and Russians both claiming they "invented" vodka.
Italians and Spaniards doing the same about pizza.
And what about prosciutto/pršut/jamon and olives in almost all Mediterranean/Adriatic countries?
Etc. :)

Not to be the spoilsport, but am I the only one who is not wild about Spanish chocolate?
It's OK, but I don't think it's anything to write home about.
Maybe I got the wrong kind - but it was not cheap, and made in Astorga.
(A cup of chocolate with churros is totally another story..it's definitely worth writing home about.)

At the Chocolate Museum in Astorga in 2015 all the descriptive placards explaining how the machinery worked or who did what was in Spanish. I had found that my Spanish was good enough in most museums to understand at least half of what was written but it was better than that at the Chocolate Museum. Peg's Spanish was recent and self studied so not as good. We both enjoyed the museum a lot.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked up and down that street and couldn't find the museum. I guess I'll have to walk another Camino to go see it.
Sorry to hear that Andrea, it is fairly well signposted to the street but must admit no great signage announcing you’ve arrived. It was far down the street on the right hand side at a bend in the road. Apparently it used to be closure into the city centre. There was a plaque on a pillar that could easily be missed and no other signage that I noticed to say we had arrived. Buen Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back