• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Aussies....Heading to the "Saturday, Let's Get Stuff for the Camino" ALDI Sale

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
With the upcoming Aldi 'Hiking and Camping Let's Get Stuff for the Camino Sale" fast approaching, I feel a guide for the uninitiated may be of value.
Firstly please note that due to good pricing and limited stock availability, if you really really want something advertised then you'd better get there early, and by that I mean opening time. You have been warned.

For this particular short-lived sale I go commando in a flimsy pair of shorts and body-fit t-shirt.
Those are like my undies over which everything is 'tried on'.
First I get a trolley into which gets chucked any warmer over-clothing I may have needed to wear to keep warm on this winter excursion.

Upon the doors opening, I join the tide, rush inside, then race about grabbing two sizes of everything I either need....or want, whether I need them or not. This is certainly not a time when 'need' assumes a high priority. This is "grab-it in case I need it, before someone else does, and there is none left for me" time.

Then I retire to my changing room with all of my trolley treasures.
As there are no changing rooms at Aldi, I have to create my own.
Experience has me heading for a little gap between shelves.
It's my personal changing room, which is open to the view of other shoppers. To my left I have microwaveable rice and couscous et al. To the right, the somewhat mysterious to me products aimed specifically at female shoppers.
Last time, in my eagerness, I did, much to my chagrin, carelessly elbow over a large stack of panty liners. I wasn't chagrinned for very long tho as important matters needed my attention.
Now I'm pulling stuff out of their packets and trying them on.
In my trolley a 'goodies' pile and a 'baddies' pile grow exponentially.
Sometimes I need to rush back into the fray to score a larger or smaller size, or a different colour....Women get a better selection of colours than us blokes and I show no compunction in grabbing their largest sizes just in case they fit me too. Be aware they do sometimes get grumpy at you grabbing 'their' stuff.
Other female shoppers also get grumpy at my temporary changing room blocking access to stuff they need.
I can handle that ok. I apologise then ask if they wouldn't mind averting their eyes while I try these new underpants on.
That does the trick. They tend to huff and puff and blather while moving quickly away.

Now comes the 'need' and 'afford' stage.
Pretty self explanatory really. Do I really need it? Does it fit within my overall budget?
This can emotionally be a very painful time as stuff you really 'want' has to be returned to the fray.
Be careful not to sustain injury as needy shoppers compete in an attempt to rip returning goods from your hands.
And as to your now unattended trolley? Beware! Those folks with no sense of propriety have been known to nick things out of unattended trolleys. Rotten swines they are.
Now don't worry too much about getting unwanted stuff back into it's correct packet or correct place. That's what they employ staff for isn't it, and we wouldn't want to be the cause of rising unemployment would we?
Just sort of scatter it loosely about in the general direction of where you think it might have come from. That's what everybody seems to do. Traditional behaviour that is.

Now finally, comes one of the best things about Aldi.
Altho you do have to pay for it, you can take home heaps of stuff you need, or want, or think you may need or want, secure in the knowledge that you can take it back for a full refund when your common sense, which you have quite sensibly left at home securely locked in the broom closet, and thrown the key away, is eventually permitted to return.

Kind regards...but keep outta my way,
Gerard

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gerard
Can I please come with you on Saturday? Having been to the Snow sales I am shaking in my boots....people get really nasty out there. Will use your method and see what happens!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Add to that for me - realising when I get home that I subconsciously also picked up and paid for a new set of frypans and a doormat. And the 7 day meat special - chicken burritos. Something we would never normally eat.

Last edited:
Gerard,
I relaxed when i saw you were in Brizzy ..... i did NOT want to lock competitive horns with you for the last merino tee shirt size M. I'll find someone in Syd for that on Saturday. It may well turn out to be proverbial straw that broke the camels back.....thats me ! ... as i stuff 1 more thing into that last backpack airpocket ... liftoff approaching, 25 Aug.
Cheers,
Greig.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Watch out.....he has the advantage....he has your avatar pic. BTW the airpocket that shortly will not be with me resides in my Aarn pack that i bought on your advce Kanga....its fabulously comfortable. Another Circular Quay to Manly walk tomorrow... love it. Cheers.

With the upcoming 'Hiking and Camping Let's Get Stuff for the Camino Sale" fast approaching, I feel a guide for the uninitiated may be of value.
Firstly please note that due to good pricing and limited stock availability, if you really really want something advertised then you'd better get there early, and by that I mean opening time. You have been warned.

For this particular short-lived sale I go commando in a flimsy pair of shorts and body-fit t-shirt.
First I get a trolley into which get chucked any warmer over-clothing I may have needed to wear to keep warm on this winter excursion.

Upon the doors opening, I join the tide, rush inside, then race about grabbing two sizes of everything I either need....or want, whether I need them or not. This is certainly not a time when 'need' assumes a high priority. This is "grab-it in case I need it, before someone else does, and there is none left for me" time.

It's my personal changing room, which is open to the view of other shoppers. To my left I have microwaveable rice and couscous et al. To the right, the somewhat mysterious to me products aimed specifically at female shoppers.
Last time, in my eagerness, I did, much to my chagrin, carelessly elbow over a large stack of panty liners. I wasn't chagrinned for very long tho as important matters needed my attention.
Sometimes I need to rush back into the fray to score a larger or smaller size, or a different colour....Women get a better selection of colours than us blokes and I show no compunction in grabbing their largest sizes just in case they fit me too. Be aware they do sometimes get grumpy at you grabbing 'their' stuff.
Other female shoppers also get grumpy at my temporary changing room blocking access to stuff they need.
I can handle that ok. I apologise then ask if they wouldn't mind adverting their eyes why I try my undies on.
That does the trick. They tend to huff and puff and blather while moving quickly away.

Pretty self explanatory really. Do I really need it? Does it fit within my overall budget?
This can emotionally be a very painful time as stuff you really 'want' has to be returned to the fray.
Be careful not to sustain injury as needy shoppers compete in an attempt to rip returning goods from your hands.
And as to your now unattended trolley? Beware! Those folks with no sense of propriety have been known to nick things out of unattended trolleys. Rotten swines they are.
Now don't worry too much about getting unwanted stuff back into it's correct packet or correct place. That's what they employ staff for isn't it, and we wouldn't want to be the cause of rising unemployment would we?
Just sort of scatter it loosely about in the general direction of where you think it might have come from. That's what everybody seems to do. Traditional behaviour that is.

Altho you do have to pay for it, you can take home heaps of stuff you need, or want, or think you may need or want, secure in the knowledge that you can take it back for a full refund when your common sense, which you have quite sensibly left at home securely locked in the broom closet, and thrown the key away, is finally able to return.
Gerard
The Aldi catalogue hit my letter box.
I pored over it.
Red circling of preferred items.

Preparations made:
Googling opening time of local store.
Agonising over whether to 'tackle' locals in local small store hoping a full range will be available or tackling/interacting with combatants in larger regional store.
Removing soft tips from Pacer poles replacing them with sharpened tips (anyone remember the movie BenHur?)
Dusts off buff for disguise.
Gets out nappy pins and microfibre towels to erect temporary changing room using said Pacer poles between aisles stacks.
Dump Merrell hiking shoes (too heavy) for light running shoes. Teva sandals were considered however crushed toes in the melee could be a turn off, a slow down and needless distraction. Besides, my toenails have not grown back from my Camino in April/ May.
Considering wearing Camino T shirt with all Spanish town names for either 1) cred 2) sympathy.
Training run to hone newly acquired Granny pecs and biceps and suss out the probable location instore.

Plan:
Tortilla and fresh orange juice breakfast.
Drive car to within 100 metres of ground zero 30 mins before opening time.
Second breakfast of cafe con leche and croissant for added strength and speed.
Queueing in disguise as necessary.
Doors open...unsheathe Pacer Poles and TIPBOT (towards the central aisles) like the clappers using wider than usual arm spread.
Ladies don't trip, they cunningly impede, with a smile and grace.

The war cry is "Camino Merino" !!!!!!!!!!!

or 'UP with 'down'!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Golly! In never considered taking my pacer poles along for self protection or indeed to poke and prod my way thru the crowded aisles. What a good idea that is!
And indeed to use them as the selected weapon if the opportunity for a duel with a fellow pilgrim arose!
But I fear that using Tigger's bloodcurdling war cries of "Camino Merino!" and "UP with Down!" may induce panic in the store and possibly result in casualties as a result of terrified shoppers charging helter skelter towards the narrow exit.

I can imagine the same event occuring if Tigger emerges from her microfibre towel strewn, pacer pole structured changing room, clad only in Merino buff, undies and bra repeatedly shouting "How Good is this!" while showing off her new found pecs and biceps.
It's enough to make the blood run cold.

Perhaps I should have a chat with her.
Something along the lines of what the actress Mrs. Patrick Campbell is famously reputed to have said when reports of disturbing behaviour between consenting adults reached her delicate ears.
"My dear, I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."
Blimey. I better go to bed.

Right. Now listen you lot. I'm going to Aldi at Stones Corner in Brisbane.
You find your own store and leave me in peace.
I will of course make an exception for ladies who will be interested in products for their own gender and will not therefore engender a spirit of wild and uninhibited competition towards me.
Regards
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Golly! In never considered taking my pacer poles along for self protection or indeed to poke and prod my way thru the crowded aisles. What a good idea that is!
And indeed to use them as the selected weapon if the opportunity for a duel with a fellow pilgrim arose!
But I fear that using Tigger's bloodcurdling war cries of "Camino Merino!" and "UP with Down!" may induce panic in the store and possibly result in casualties as a result of terrified shoppers charging helter skelter towards the narrow exit.

I can imagine the same event occuring if Tigger emerges from her microfibre towel strewn, pacer pole structured changing room, clad only in Merino buff, undies and bra repeatedly shouting "How Good is this!" while showing off her new found pecs and biceps.
It's enough to make the blood run cold.

Perhaps I should have a chat with her.
Something along the lines of what the actress Mrs. Patrick Campbell is famously reputed to have said when reports of disturbing behaviour between consenting adults reached her delicate ears.
"My dear, I don't care what they do, so long as they don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."
Blimey. I better go to bed.

Right. Now listen you lot. I'm going to Aldi at Stones Corner in Brisbane.
You find your own store and leave me in peace.
I will of course make an exception for ladies who will be interested in products for their own gender and will not therefore engender a spirit of wild and uninhibited competition towards me.
Regards
Gerard
Gerard,It would almost be worth a cheap flight to Brisbane, both to meet you of course, at Stone's Corner at 8.30 am Sat, and inform you that I am also shopping for my husband. ;) Sadly I will have to manage with shopping at either Aldi Mona Vale or Brookvale. Is it cheating to go to the store at closing on Friday and hide the best stuff in the kid's toys or the toilet paper departments?

With the upcoming 'Hiking and Camping Let's Get Stuff for the Camino Sale" fast approaching, I feel a guide for the uninitiated may be of value.

First I get a trolley into which get chucked any warmer over-clothing I may have needed to wear to keep warm on this winter excursion.

I can handle that ok. I apologise then ask if they wouldn't mind adverting their eyes why I try my undies on.

Altho you do have to pay for it, you can take home heaps of stuff you need, or want, or think you may need or want, secure in the knowledge that you can take it back for a full refund when your common sense, which you have quite sensibly left at home securely locked in the broom closet, and thrown the key away, is finally able to return.
Gerard

So true Gerard you are definitely an Aldi professional. I will be at the door by 7.55,
No trolley though as you can get in quicker
Without one. Good luck.

Gerard

I have the Umina Beach Aldi covered. We have a number of bush walkers here so it's going to be rough.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Gerard
That is so funny. If I had read it earlier, I would have hopped on a grab-a-seat flight from Auckland just to come and watch your performance. What a shopper. It made my day.

I have the Umina Beach Aldi covered. We have a number of bush walkers here so it's going to be rough.
Bush Walkers? Bush Walker's ???
Have no fear of them Trude!
Just pussies, they are. Go for a wander around some botanical gardens somewhere, have Devonshire tea in the afternoon, then go home to tell their friends they've been bush bashing across the great dividing range!
Fibbers they are. Not to be taken seriously at all, at all.
Not like us Camino trekkers. To the farthest ends of the earth we go. Serious walker's we are.
We'll screw our courage to the sticking post and we'll not fail in this expedition!
Regards
Gerard
PS.
If things do get sticky we should take note of what Kanga and Isobeljc do. Grab a frypan and go on the offensive. I have absolutely no doubt that this is a successful strategy.

Wow, who knew that Aldi sold more than canned vegetables and cheap toilet paper? At least that's what we get here in the US, with an occasional bargain, I'm told, on some kind of meat or produce.

But, I have to tell you guys that you are amateurs if you are planning only to get to the doors 5 or 10 minutes before opening. Here in the US, people would camp out overnight and then become aggressive and belligerent trampling over everyone else to get to their coveted sale items.

One annual event is Filene Basement's "running of the brides," whose title is appropriate given today's date!

Brides-to-be seem to be more jovial than the average sale racer, however -- here is a website that keeps track of deaths and injuries resulting on Black Friday sales. http://blackfridaydeathcount.com

Looking forward to reading about the happy ozzies and their purchases.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow, who knew that Aldi sold more than canned vegetables and cheap toilet paper? At least that's what we get here in the US, with an occasional bargain, I'm told, on some kind of meat or produce.

But, I have to tell you guys that you are amateurs if you are planning only to get to the doors 5 or 10 minutes before opening. Here in the US, people would camp out overnight and then become aggressive and belligerent trampling over everyone else to get to their coveted sale items.

One annual event is Filene Basement's "running of the brides," whose title is appropriate given today's date!

Brides-to-be seem to be more jovial than the average sale racer, however -- here is a website that keeps track of deaths and injuries resulting on Black Friday sales. http://blackfridaydeathcount.com

Oh no here in Australia we would never camp overnight. We grab a cup of coffee and wait in line about 10 mins before opening. Nothing is that good of a deal...... Aldi is great though. I buy there light weight sleeping bag for AUD $19.99 sometimes $9.99 on sale and dump it when I get to Santiago. They are perfect.

Ps. I have been to filenes basement in Boston about 30 years ago when I lived in Salem Ma

It's 4.10am, black outside, and raining.
I'm snug in bed, but wide awake and so excited.
No way I'm going back to sleep now!
I think I'll get up and make a nice cup of tea, perhaps have a really really early breakfast.
I'd better do some stretching exercises first.
Best be prepared properly for strenuous endeavours.
The game is afoot.
Best of luck.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
It's 4.10am, black outside, and raining.
I'm snug in bed, but wide awake and so excited.
No way I'm going back to sleep now!
I think I'll get up and make a nice cup of tea, perhaps have a really really early breakfast.
I'd better do some stretching exercises first.
Best be prepared properly for strenuous endeavours.
The game is afoot.
Best of luck.
Regards
Gerard
Nearly 7am. Just checking you are properly hydrated! I am warming up with a dog walk followed by stretching session in current threadbare Merinos for motivation. My chickens let me down as did my grandchildren who used all but the last egg making an Orange Eastern Almond cake yesterday, so no protein tortilla, straight to plan B of con leche and croissants...Note to self leave 15 mins early. am thinking of wearing yellow arrows face paint a la 'Braveheart'.

Too much?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The prize goes to the victors and the brave...

OR NOT?

Heading: THE SPIRIT OF THE CAMINO IN MONA VALE SYDNEY AUSTRALIA.

Details; Ok so I got there (Aldi) at 8.25 AM. The queue was about 100. Heart sinks.
Upon entry to the store at the end of the queue I noticed that indeed there seems to be LOADS of stock of every kind EVEN at my little local Aldi.

I live in an up-market area and I can attest to no pushing or shoving at any stage, however, after I had delved into the XXL down men's stuff and some fabulous men's Merino Jackets, I REALLY wanted some Merino women's underwear/base layer stuff for me.

Despite my war paint and fearsome attitude, it seemed that the base layer area was 'out of control'. Men's and Ladies' were stacked together and people were 5 deep, clamouring for their undies.

Coming late to the scene, and with several small children in danger of being trampled, I called out 'Hey, people at the front, instead of just rummaging whilst others wait, how about calling our the sizes and colours as you go through the goods'!

*****miracle*****
The three lovely ladies at the head of the melee started calling our what they were discarding. Others behind passed goods back, even 5-6 rows like a human chain of consumer goods of unique value, and thus it began. Those at the head of the queues called out what they saw and instead of selfishly discarding them, asked if they had a 'buyer' it was hilarious and very heart warming. There was even one lady who said she had all she wanted but said " I know where everything is so I can help" and stayed to help those behind with sizes and colours. It was wonderful and people started making jokes about 'Merinos crowd surfing' as they were passed back etc and I think it was the most fun most people had had at a sale as everyone was co-operative and laughing and taking this retail mania in good part. There was lots of stock and few were disappointed. I love Australians most times.

My result, I got 6 items for me and my husband for AUD$189, the usual price of one 'down' or merino item.

My result, I got 6 items for me and my husband for AUD$189, the usual price of one 'down' or merino item.
Two t-shirts, one quarter zip long sleeve top (women's XL, bit tight but pretty blue, I like it), one pack or two pairs of hiking socks, one 30l pack.
GOOD SCORE!
Unfortunately I was recognised as 'that Camino man' and was then continually requested for advice on the suitability of shoes, packs, and woollen stuff. Machu Picchu, how would I know what's needed for that?
A bit of a scramble but good fun and bargains for all!
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been watching this thread anxiously from here in the States.

Me too, in South Africa! You guys are so lucky :cool:
We can’t even get merino stuff here, let alone stores like Aldi or REI :(

But I really enjoyed the thread :):):D:D

I nearly bought a (100% cotton) t-shirt today that has on the front:
"Australians call it Survival . . .
South Africans call it Camping" :rolleyes:

But then I thought, nah, I’ll probably meet an Aussie wearing the same t-shirt, but written the other way round :D

Clearly Aldi did not consider the fact that I will be over the ditch next week when they set their sale date. I wonder if it will be worth popping in on the off-chance of finding some discarded items that have not had their sale stickers removed. Pretty blue quarter zip long sleeve top appeals.

Gerard,
Hope you are not walking in September we will have matching outfits!! Was a very civilised outing for me, no mad scramble everyone behaved. All my merino washed and ready to go on my first Camino. Thanks for your tips.

Hey, how was the Aldi experience you lot? I went down to the one at Kippax (I was in Canberra), on time, there were few people, and I got the woollen T-shirt I was after (After some looking, because they were in an odd spot, but there were plenty). Only one person in front of me at the check-out, with just three items.

But a few weeks back I went to their ski sale at Bateman's Bay. Sheer bedlam! I've often daydreamed about the line in the old pop song the women outnumber the men and that's where I want to go, but the Bateman's Bay Aldi experience was something else again. I've been after a pair of their Goretex rain pants for some time - well they look like Goretex, claim exactly the same performance features but at about a fifth the price - and even though I don't think much of Goretex I was prepared to take a punt. But I've never found a pair!. This time, after struggling and searching among strewn around piles of all sorts of clothes, gloves, beanies all mixed up in utter confusion, I found just one pair! But at Kippax yesterday I noted they had a few left over from the earlier sale, also some of the jackets, still there!

But, has anyone tried one of their backpacks? The 45 litre ones have looked OK from time to time (I need another pack like a hole in the head). Seeing the recommendations for megabucks expensive packs on this forum from time to time, I wonder if anyone has walked with an Aldi pack?

De colores

Bogong

Clearly Aldi did not consider the fact that I will be over the ditch next week when they set their sale date. I wonder if it will be worth popping in on the off-chance of finding some discarded items that have not had their sale stickers removed. Pretty blue quarter zip long sleeve top appeals.
Hey, I am going back today to return one item and check out others left. Will let you know if much is left, and if you let me know your size I can sus out the possibility, and perhaps even purchase it for you. They are a steal at AUD$29.00. The catalogue is online and from what I have bought the sizing seems pretty accurate.o

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

The Aussies are SO fortunate to have Aldi's that carry seemingly everything! I live in the Midwest USA and I have three Aldi's at my fingertips...not a one of them carries anything but groceries. :(

Nearly 7am. Just checking you are properly hydrated! I am warming up with a dog walk followed by stretching session in current threadbare Merinos for motivation. My chickens let me down as did my grandchildren who used all but the last egg making an Orange Eastern Almond cake yesterday, so no protein tortilla, straight to plan B of con leche and croissants...Note to self leave 15 mins early. am thinking of wearing yellow arrows face paint a la 'Braveheart'.

Too much?
You are a hoot, Tigger! Love reading your post Camino posts!:)

This whole thread has given my funny bone a good workout! Love, love, loved it! Thank you, Gerard, for sharing your awesome style of humor with us, and all the witty responses it evoked from the others!

Thanks @Tigger - I'm not in need! But I might go looking in Melbourne for the fun of it - according to google I'll be a 13 minute walk away!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks @Tigger - I'm not in need! But I might go looking in Melbourne for the fun of it - according to google I'll be a 13 minute walk away!
Would it be churlish to blame you for my returning a $50 item and 'accidentally' finding THE most beautiful purplish blue merino zip jacket for exactly the same price?

Aldi outdoor gear is trash (food is good though).

If you only plan to use the gear once then fair enough, but it's a false economy not to buy decent stuff that lasts and won't fall apart.

Go to Aldi for German ham or french cheese, but do yourselves a favour and ignore the 'bargain' non food stuff.

You might as well go to Decathlon, it's cheaper and just as crap.

But, has anyone tried one of their backpacks? The 45 litre ones have looked OK from time to time (I need another pack like a hole in the head). Seeing the recommendations for megabucks expensive packs on this forum from time to time, I wonder if anyone has walked with an Aldi pack
I bought the 30l purple model shown in the catalogue and used it to transport my purchases home.
I was looking for a simple, reasonably priced model to use around town or on trips to the country or beach.
But I'm also looking for one suitable for the Camino as I need to seriously reduce my weight carried. I'm looking at 5kg max. So I thought buying this 30l model would enable me to do a basic test on volume and weights. Also of course to see if this pack was in anyway Camino acceptable as far as back measurement, adjustability, and overall comfort.
For A$29.95 I have my doubts, but you never know.
I'll get around to packing it with all my Camino guff and let you know what I think.
However the sale may be over by the time I get around to that so I'd suggest you go to the sale and buy a couple, take them home and check them out. Remember you can take them back if they are not acceptable for a full refund - don't lose your receipt.
Regards
Gerard

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If there is one piece of kit that you shouldn't be skimping on, it's your backpack.

I suppose it might be worth a risk as the Camino is no wilderness hike and replacing stuff is easy.

I bought the 30l purple model shown in the catalogue and used it to transport my purchases home.
I was looking for a simple, reasonably priced model to use around town or on trips to the country or beach.
But I'm also looking for one suitable for the Camino as I need to seriously reduce my weight carried. I'm looking at 5kg max. So I thought buying this 30l model would enable me to do a basic test on volume and weights. Also of course to see if this pack was in anyway Camino acceptable as far as back measurement, adjustability, and overall comfort.
For A$29.95 I have my doubts, but you never know.
I'll get around to packing it with all my Camino guff and let you know what I think.
However the sale may be over by the time I get around to that so I'd suggest you go to the sale and buy a couple, take them home and check them out. Remember you can take them back if they are not acceptable for a full refund - don't lose your receipt.
Regards
Gerard

G'day Gerald,

I bought one of their down sleeping bags for my winter walk. It was that or my old North Face Blue Kazoo, which I tend to find a bit cramped. Weight was about the same. The bag was supposedly a down with a bit of feather mix in it, but I couldn't detect much feather. It proved to be a very good piece of kit and I've used it a bit since, too. I've found their woollen clothing excellent but their hiking boots are rubbish. Soles parted from the uppers very quickly, but we've found this a problem even with the most expensive boots with glued on soles.

Actually, I bought a pair of Rivers "Hike and Bike" recently for my early morning strolls and wore right through the soles in less than a fortnight.

But I've been intrigued by their packs. Mine weighs in at 2.3 kg and is a full expedition type with 75kg capacity. I needed it because I had to take stuff for a three month stay plus all the stuff I anticipated my wife would forget to bring when she joined me after 5 weeks( I didn't predict enough). Hence the 1.13kg weight of the Aldi 45l pack was of interest, and having noted the equivalent size Kathmandu one today on special for over three times the price made it even more of interest. But having bought a quality 60l pack at a garage sale for $15, and having several others beside (although I don't really think I want to use my 65 year old Paddy Pallin canvas one on an external triangular frame) I thought I might canvass the opinions of others

De colores

Bogong

If you only plan to use the gear once then fair enough, but it's a false economy not to buy decent stuff that lasts and won't fall apart.

Go to Aldi for German ham or french cheese, but do yourselves a favour and ignore the 'bargain' non food stuff.

My Aldi clothing I have purchased is great quality, especially for the price. I buy stuff from other 'big name' places when on special, at more than double the price, even on sale. The Merino clothing I purchased yesterday is wonderful quality, let alone the price. I also purchased a 40 litre backpack for $29.99 just 'because' as I had borrowed an Aarn pack from Kanga for my recent Camino adventure. Should I wish to do an annual Camino I have no doubt it would be inferior and not last the distance. Were I to use it casually and maybe for one maybe two future Caminos' at $29.99 it is indeed a bargain and I am packing it as we speak for a country holiday and to continue the type of training and walking that made me healthy on the Via de la Plata and some of the Frances. Will post a critique after some further usage.

€83,-
I am not sure @long trails what you have against Aldi gear - I agree that some of it is crap but equally some of it is really, really good, particularly for the money. You just have to "suck it and see". My husband absolutely adores the leather motor bike jacket he bought there, and my merino t shirt bought there about three years ago and taken on multiple caminos, still looks pristine, and I've found their socks and long-johns equal to any very expensive brands. I've also bought woollen jumpers that were disappointing and went into holes very quickly and shirts that became shapeless on washing. Same with their electronics and other stuff - sometimes it is great, sometimes not.

A lot of marketing hype by more expensive brands does not necessarily make them any better. Besides, we don't all have endless budgets.

I disagree, I find Aldi outdoor gear as. Good as anyone's in fact I have a North Face jacket that is terrible but I paid so much for it I cannot throw it out. After walking 6 Caminos always with Aldi gear except for the 1st one where I rigged myself up with all the best trendy brand name gear. I swear by Aldi gear. Each to their own.

Some Decathlon gear is excellent.
Merino hiking t-shirts are better than icebreaker! I tested them on Camino Portuguese from Lisbon, held up much better than the icebreaker version.
Socks were fine too. Towels for £6, just about everyone has a Decathlon towel.
I don't like the look of their trousers though.
One learns to judge quality and shops the cheap stores first before looking at branded more expensive items.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Decathlon - I have bought a lot of gear from there and regret it. Just recently I purchased a 60ltr backpack and it started splitting around the top within one month of light use. I cannot take it back as I am away.

Aldi - Again I have bought non food items and a friend bought a tent and they've been poor quality and certainly not built to last. I do think Aldi (in the UK and rest of Europe, not sure about Aus but assume it's good too) is awesome for food, despite it's previous reputation as a low income person's store (in the UK anyway).

I think for cheap disposable gear then the Decathlons and Aldis of this world is fine. If you are a serious hiker or plan to use the gear on multiple caminos, then you are far better off buying quality gear. It's a false economy to to keep replacing cheap crap.

I would never encourage people to buy cheap gear that's potentially very important. I know it's not a likely scenario on the Caminos, but a gear breakdown in the wilderness could be very serious.

Good brands usually have life time guarantees too.

If Decathlon/ Aldi started making quality gear that wasn't as cheap as chips then I'd take all this back.

Ultimately you pay for what you get, that's my main point.

It's an oversimplification to try to draw a nexus between quality and price. Low turnover/high mark-ups mean high prices, high turnover/low margins generally lower prices. Thus a number of specialist Wilderness stores, particularly those selling their own branded products (mostly made in Asia these days) seem to charge very high, indeed exorbitant, prices for the stuff they sell. Their performance claims too are often ridiculous. They are a classic example of the low turnover/high profit margin club.

By far the worst outdoor stuff I've used were the three Goretex jackets I had. They are very good as a windproof item but in every case for me failed miserably as a raincoat. I wore my last on my Camino, simply because I wanted to try to justify the ridiculous of money it had cost me. Every day that it rained, even slightly, I was sopping wet. And it was a top brand specialist product. Against my better judgement perhaps, I've now taken a chance on the Aldi equivalent. Compared to the specialist stuff in the wilderness shops, it is better and more strongly made, has better seam sealing, and has more features, at something under one sixth the price.

I had two T-shirts, one a present, from a major wilderness/travel chain here, which were claimed to have almost miraculous moisture wicking qualities. On examination they were just a polyester/cotton mix, the sort of stuff they made drip dry no iron business shirts from 50 years ago. I bought another two made of the same stuff at a clothing discounter here (Harris Scarfe in Moruya) for a tiny fraction of the price. They made no special claims and worked just as well, or badly as the case may be. The claim that this stuff "wicks" is basically spin.

The material in my mega expensive lightweight travel pants, bought from the same wilderness retailer, scuffed through at the wear points in six days. I took them back recommending that they blast the manufacturer for the poor quality of the fabric used. At $149 after the 50% discount I reckon I was more than justified.

I could quote you any number of cases in a range of different areas of this sort of thing. The obverse also applies, but to say that expensive means quality and cheap means crap is far from the case.

De Colores

Bogong

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You might as well go to Decathlon....

:)
Hiya, Long Trails. I love walking long distances, too.
I buy my boots at Decathlon. They last 2500 kms before the uppers drop off and the heals disappear forever. My current ones are my 4th or 5th pair.

I am still wearing the zip off trousers bought in Spring 2011, 10 euros max. They have survived 1000s of spring/summer hiking kms. They are slightly tatty now around the hems but it's nothing a bit of hand stitching can't fix.

cheers
:)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back