• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Aussies, wondering which credit/debit card/s to take on Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I’m going to use the Qantas money card to withdraw cash and a 28degrees credit card. Both are meant to have zero international conversation charges

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m going to use the Qantas money card to withdraw cash and a 28degrees credit card. Both are meant to have zero international conversation charges
Hi I am from New Zealand walked in August. I used the Cash passport card. What a mess.Even though the money was converted to euros before I left on two occasions my 300 euro withdrawal from an ATM was reconverted from NZ to eruo costing another 45 nz dollars. Dont ask me how this can happen. Then when my wife rang to ask about this problem the lady at Cash Passport the so rude she had my wife in tears. Would not go near Cash Passport with a barge pole. Good luck God bless.

I have used the 28degrees mastercard with Citibank for years. No annual fee, no international transaction fees, good exchange rates and pretty good interest rate for a credit card not that I pay any as I pay it off straight away. No points though. I strongly recommend it.

I take ASB visa. Simple. Tried debit card and did not like it as it would take days for transactions to show. I tend to book air Bnb or Booking.com for some nights, so the card is great for that. Cash is easiest.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We used a cash passport once - but not again. Sure, there are no withdrawal fees and you know exactly how much local currency you have on your card BUT the conversion rate they used left us worse off than paying occasional transaction fees.
Now we take a wad of cash and Visa cards.

We used a cash passport once - but not again. Sure, there are no withdrawal fees and you know exactly how much local currency you have on your card BUT the conversion rate they used left us worse off than paying occasional transaction fees.
Now we take a wad of cash and Visa cards.
Thank you Kiwi Exactly my point. There is more to my story. We were sold these cards by house of travel two cards two numbers one for me and one for my wife. Then when I used the card in Spain two ATMs treated my euros as NZ dollars and did an exchange conversion on the money costing me about 45 NZ dollars both times. When my wife (back in NZ) rang to ask whats going on she came up against a woman completely insulting and when the woman found out I was in Spain using the card she said she had a good mind to cancel my number as both numbers (both cards ) belonged to my wife because she filled out the form. I could have been left in Spain with no money. My wife was reduced to tears. We have never got any of that money back from the incorrect conversions. It was an horrific experience. Good luck and God bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Kiwi Exactly my point. There is more to my story. We were sold these cards by house of travel two cards two numbers one for me and one for my wife. Then when I used the card in Spain two ATMs treated my euros as NZ dollars and did an exchange conversion on the money costing me about 45 NZ dollars both times. When my wife (back in NZ) rang to ask whats going on she came up against a woman completely insulting and when the woman found out I was in Spain using the card she said she had a good mind to cancel my number as both numbers (both cards ) belonged to my wife because she filled out the form. I could have been left in Spain with no money. My wife was reduced to tears. We have never got any of that money back from the incorrect conversions. It was an horrific experience. Good luck and God bless.
I used a NAB Traveller Card (similar to a cash passport). When making withdrawals a choice was given to withdraw with or without conversion. I chose 'with conversion' once and had the same experience - euros treated as A$. Needless to say I quickly learnt that lesson! Otherwise it worked well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
28 degrees for credit
And Citibank for debit card (the one with no atm or exchange fees)

I agree 28 degrees for credit, but will look into Citibank if it has no atm or exchange fees. And pay off straight away to not accrue any interest charges on 28 degrees card.

Visa is always the best.

ING have a great Visa debit account that if you use your card 5 times in a month, overseas ATM fees are nil - however the non bank ATM's often charges fees that your bank can't avoid so you still pay 2-3 euro sometimes. They are mostly the ATM's at Alburges etc.

I have a Qantas and Virgin prepaid travel card. Both are my frequent flyer cards that are also overseas travel cards. I just preloaded them both with Euro and used them both. Qantas is a Mastercard which can be a bit harder to find Cirus ATM's for, but having the Virgin Visa - never a challenge. I have got into the habit with my Qantas prepaid Mastercard to use that for eftpos transactions and I get cash out of my virgin card.

I agree with other posts that Cash Passport is a @^*&#$($ drama! I had quite a few challenges with that card not working or exhorbitant charges so I would agree to stay away from them.

ABOVE ALL - take more than one card and make sure they are split up amongst your things. Don't have them both together.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do NOT take a MasterCard on the Camino.
90% of businesses will not accept MasterCard because of the fees it costs the proprietors.
Take a VISA.

Or open a Charles Schwab bank account and use their debit card and get ALL fees returned at the end of each month,

Visa. Plain and simple. Like most of Europe
Hi. I passed through Paris yesterday and am now in SJPdP. I withdrew cash in euros fm ATM in Montpasse railway terminal at Platform 1 using an ANZ Travelcard. By the time I got to SJPdP my card had been emptied. ANZ have been very helpful and the result is really just inconvenience and cost of a. All to Aussie.
Two lessons - be very careful about the ATM you choose, and make sure you have a backup card with you.

Really interesting information here team, Thanks Alot!
I was sold on taking 'cash passport' (+ Visa + cash) as I used it for a months vacay in Europe last year without any problems but.... having read the horrid stories posted above @Kiwi-family & @Terry W, I am seriously reconsidering my options.
Ill be off to the bank tomorrow morning!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@jan Marsden I understand that ING are now refunding all the overseas ATM fees - provided you comply with their conditions. Have a look on their website for instructions.

28 degrees for credit
And Citibank for debit card (the one with no atm or exchange fees)
I have tried to search on line for ATM in Portugal for Citibank and can't find any locations. Can you provide?

Hi. I passed through Paris yesterday and am now in SJPdP. I withdrew cash in euros fm ATM in Montpasse railway terminal at Platform 1 using an ANZ Travelcard. By the time I got to SJPdP my card had been emptied. ANZ have been very helpful and the result is really just inconvenience and cost of a. All to Aussie.
Two lessons - be very careful about the ATM you choose, and make sure you have a backup card with you.

Sorry for that bad luck and thnx for sharing

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have tried to search on line for ATM in Portugal for Citibank and can't find any locations. Can you provide?
Not too sure about Citibank... but just walked out of the ANZ and he looked at my ATM Savings Card (Chipped, Cirris etc...) and scrunched his face stating that I shouldn’t use it (leaving for Camino in three weeks).

Too bad he didn’t tell me that in 2013 when my savings card was eaten up in Pamplona. VISA all the way... it’s linked to my savings, so just choosing the savings option at most all banks in 2013 worked a treat for savings withdrawals.

I treat my 28 degree MC as others do a Qantas or ANZ travel card - I preload and the awe no fees when I withdraw and I pay no interest! Gotta love it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back