• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Canadians

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Here is an article by Diane Selkirk from the BBC
describing a little-known long distance hiking trail that built Canada

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Canada has a lot to offer in terms of outdoor activities, sadly Camino-style trekking is not one of them due to the lack of infrastructure such as albergues and restaurants. If one has to bring along a tent and freeze-dried food, it's an entirely different kind of experience.

Canada has a lot to offer in terms of outdoor activities, sadly Camino-style trekking is not one of them due to the lack of infrastructure such as albergues and restaurants. If one has to bring along a tent and freeze-dried food, it's an entirely different kind of experience.

stinmd:,
Of course in general Canada does not offer Camino style paths. However Ms Selkirk does indeed note that
"hikers who don't want to carry a pack and camp in the backcountry can stay in lodges in Bella Coola or Tweedsmuir Park and do day hikes, or participate in one of the tours and programmes with the Nuxalk Nation. There is also a wide range of frontcountry campsites in the region, and several of the communities, such as in Anahim Lakeand Quesnel, offer lodging."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of course, you are right. Don't get me wrong, I love the great Canadian outdoors.

The closest Camino-like experience in Canada would not be this option, as it is completely in the wilds of BC, but the Bruce Trail along the Spine of Southern Ontario from Tobermory to Niagara Falls.

No, there are no albergues or refugios, but there are motels, B&B's, couch surfing opportunities, campgrounds and innumerable restaurants etc. The Bruce Peninsula itself is the most remote and amenity starved area.

But, for many, it is done in stages with partners or small groups who will take two cars, leave one at the end of a stage, and drive to the beginning, do the hike, retrieve the cars and drive home.

Thank you for this article @mspath ! Very interesting to read. Years ago, I worked several summers in the gold rush town of Barkerville in the Quesnel and Anahim Lake area. I know the area well. I had some local avid hiker friends and I remember them telling us about traditional First Nations trails. I never did go on any of several hikes they organized - mostly because of my fear of encountering Grizzly Bears :) I would go now though - especially with hikes organized by the Naxulk Nation. At the time, there were also some guided horse / camping trips along the trails. The area around Bella Coola is stunningly beautiful too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can’t resist putting my paddle into the water on this one. Prince Edward Island has some of the best hiking trails in Canada. While “infrastructure” remains as an issue, B&Bs and restaurants are never far away (in-season), and businesses are responding to increased demand. I will attach a few links for your reading pleasure.

The Trans Canada Trail passes below my house here in Grand Forks BC. Thanks to the hard work of a local trails group, together with funds from the Province of BC and local governments, the trail surface ( which follows an old rail line) has been much improved and is a popular hiking/walking destination for locals and tourists alike. Other commentators are correct; there are no alberques, however there are motels and restaurants in the small towns scattered along the route here in the Kootenay region. Having said that, there are also some long gaps where having a tent and some basic camping gear are essential. The trail passes through thinly populated areas, forests and wilderness, and there is always the concern of encountering bears.... very common here. All in all it is a wonderful trail, a work in progress, and some day it may rival other trail networks in popularity and facilities for hikers.

Coming from North America to the Camino, I was asked several times by Europeans why I chose Spain and El Camino over trails such as the Appalachian, the Pacific Coast, the Bruce Trail, etc. My answer was always one simple word "Albergues".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another Canadian trail to watch is Experience the Fraser, a >550 km proposed trail from Metro. Vancouver, heading E. along the Fraser River, looping around the little town of Hope. The trail is about 43% done & gov't funding suggests that it *will* get completed within a couple of years. No firm mention of an albergue-like experience but this is a well-populated area & I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of hostel infrastructure appeared.

Wow.. thanks mspath for posting this article. I live in BC and haven't heard of it but now I'm very interested in walking this one day. I had planned on hiking the JMT in California next year but maybe this would be an option. Anyways.. thanks again!

sorry I prefer to do the Camino Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.