• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For coffee addicts that like to walk early

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since I intensely dislike coffee, if I feel the need to get a boost to early morning energy, I take a caffeine tablet. I go by the motto: "It's the caffeine I need, it's the coffee I can do without". :)
I love coffee, and I take the starbucks instant packet with me-- but on longer trips where I couldn't find coffee and sometimes no tea (southern africa), I was very happy to have caffeine tablets. I get rocking headaches without caffeine. Yes, I know I'm addicted. :(

So at home I don’t even drink coffee. I also rarely rise early… but on the Camino, well, it’s different.

I look forward to the myriad of better suggestions surely/maybe to follow.

So back in 2005 my mother introduced me to Cafe con Leche. It’s now a Camino staple for me. I look forward to the temporary addiction available at every bar/cafe you will ever go to. It’s also a social thing… everyone almost always wants their coffee and when you sit together and get some, it’s fun.

But what if you like to wake up early to walk? Like I’m talking about before the sun comes up. I met some friends last year on the Camino who loved to get out before dawn.

See the thing is, nothing is open. No early morning coffee before a hike, which to some I imagine sounds kinda crazy. Remember, this is people who like to wear headlamps and walk early in the morning, before the rest of the world wakes up

So what do you do to get that fix?

Well, last year I learned about the instant packs of coffee available at most mercados, even the little ones. I believe they are manufactured by Nestle, think Nescafé. Some of these even come with sugar and cream…

So if you carry a few of these around, in the am, before the sun comes up, you can get your coffee before you bail. With some caveats.

Let’s hope wherever u are staying has a microwave and mugs. Not always the case.

But for sure they will have hot water coming out of the tap… yes, desperate people sometimes require desperate measures.

Also, sometimes the stores only carry the decaf versions! Gasp. So I have substituted instant cappuccino instead.
Sorry buddy, those little packs are the most horrible coffee ever. I have a little ultralight stove. I pack some fresh coffee and a coffee press. It is heaven

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there coffee lovers. This is the kit I’ve carried on two camino Frances, the GR65 and the Francigena it weighs 104grams. I also carry a one man tent (1.6kg) and a travel guitar (1.7kg). My all up pack weight is 11kg. My usual routine is to start early, walk slow and meet lots of people! I average about 25 km a day and have a lot of fun.
Lindsay

D28C8A3E-16B0-4DFD-BCC3-C885E9515B3B.jpeg

So at home I don’t even drink coffee. I also rarely rise early… but on the Camino, well, it’s different.

So back in 2005 my mother introduced me to Cafe con Leche. It’s now a Camino staple for me. I look forward to the temporary addiction available at every bar/cafe you will ever go to. It’s also a social thing… everyone almost always wants their coffee and when you sit together and get some, it’s fun.

But what if you like to wake up early to walk? Like I’m talking about before the sun comes up. I met some friends last year on the Camino who loved to get out before dawn.

See the thing is, nothing is open. No early morning coffee before a hike, which to some I imagine sounds kinda crazy. Remember, this is people who like to wear headlamps and walk early in the morning, before the rest of the world wakes up

Well, last year I learned about the instant packs of coffee available at most mercados, even the little ones. I believe they are manufactured by Nestle, think Nescafé. Some of these even come with sugar and cream…

So if you carry a few of these around, in the am, before the sun comes up, you can get your coffee before you bail. With some caveats.

Let’s hope wherever u are staying has a microwave and mugs. Not always the case.

But for sure they will have hot water coming out of the tap… yes, desperate people sometimes require desperate measures.

Also, sometimes the stores only carry the decaf versions! Gasp. So I have substituted instant cappuccino instead.
I started walking every morning about 6 a.m., and faced the problem you describe. I drank Red Bull first thing, to tide me over till I could find a cafe open at the next stop!

My son is a US Marine aviator and seriously "addicted" to his coffee. When he was flying in Iraq he would put instant coffee crystals inside his cheek. I can't imagine doing this myself but...it's an option!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My son is a US Marine aviator and seriously "addicted" to his coffee. When he was flying in Iraq he would put instant coffee crystals inside his cheek. I can't imagine doing this myself but...it's an option!
My son has flown refueling jets for the military, but to this day he is still not a coffee addict.

This is what I have carried before to the Camino. The cup is microwave safe, but if one never plans on using a microwave there are titanium ones available, too. Same with the spork. They make some really nice titanium ones. I like the reusable qualities of the cup and spork, and the cup is 12 oz in capacity. Plenty big enough for a 6-8 oz cup of coffee. I have even carried the cup on the outside of my pack and used it at water fountains along the Frances, keeping a 500 ml bottle full in a pocket of my pack. I don't use up the filled bottle unless I have to. I just use the cup at the fountains. Saves me from carrying the weight of another full 500 ml bottle. I do that when I know I am walking a section with plenty of opportunities to hydrate.
The cup and spork is inexpensive and lightweight and if one decides they don't want to carry it anymore one can just leave them in an albergue kitchen. They will be used.
The Cafe Bustelo is just my favorite brand of instant coffee. Little more edge to it lol.
View attachment 121107View attachment 121108View attachment 121109
I heartily concur with your choice of Cafe Bustelo. They also produce a Cafe con leche in same form. Unfortunately it does seem to vary from lot to lot. Most are superb, others not so much but can be fine tuned to your taste with additional sweetener or milk.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I guess I was fortunate enough (as far as I can remember) to have always stayed where I could get coffee in the morning. Along the way, I stopped for café con leche in every village.

Ulsan, Korea, was frustrating. One or more coffee shops in every block—and none open before ten!

Back to Spain, an interesting thing in Villamayor de Monjardín: the small mercado had a vending machine, hot drinks for one euro. One button was labeled "café con leche" and the next button, "leche con café."

Since I intensely dislike coffee, if I feel the need to get a boost to early morning energy, I take a caffeine tablet. I go by the motto: "It's the caffeine I need, it's the coffee I can do without". :)
Lol!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a total caffeine addict, and generally haven't been a super early riser on the camino... Having said that the days where I had to walk 5-10km before I got to my first cafe con leche were lovely in their own way.... I think there was something about waiting (and maybe working) for the thing I really wanted that made it all the more gratifying once I got my coffee(s).... I generally need two (I really am an addict)..... and waiting for a cafe con leche in a bar was my strong preference, over instant coffee. But thats just me!

Just a note from earlier...REI and Wei Groceries (or Copper Cow Coffee in the US) both sell the portable pour-overs of coffee. You'll need a cup and hot water, but with Copper Cow, just rip open the paper filter top (pre scored), pop out the little cardboard levers (they've held over several diameters of cup/mug) and gently pour. Real coffee taste, light in the pack, and easy to clean. And Copper Cow also sells little packets of sugared condensed milk (think ca phé su dá style).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I am the only coffee addict when we walk I always carry the Nescafe 3 in 1 sachets you can buy in a pack at any supermercado in Spain. Quick, small and the MOST important thing, LIGHT. Keeps me going until I can get a proper cafe con leche.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I did exactly that, getting up before sunrise way before anyone else. Gulping down a cup of water, leaving the house and chewing on some chocolate while drilling through the first miles of the day. Then after maybe 10 kilometres, on some days after 15, I would have my breakfast with Cafe con Leche somewhere and then blend in among those who just started their pilgrim day ;-)
So if it is just early enough my engine can run on reserves in the morning without it feeling as if I was running on reserves.
This is what our group did.

I would not, could not give Nestle a penny! Since I usually cycle (but even when i walk - I take a Handpresso machine - bit chunky but makes a perfect espresso..... you can now get very light machines that heat the water and make proper coffee - but I will stick with mine till it wears out!

I am a coffee addict and I normally get up early at home. I brought a bunch of Starbucks instant coffee sachets with me to the Camino. It was nice to brew a cup sometimes. But honestly, I'd be fine without that instant coffee either. At home, I need to do a series of tasks that involve intellectual activities as soon as I wake up, for that, coffee is precious. On the Camino, I just walk. Well, that might be a bit of a zombie walk, I agree, but still perfectly doable until the first open café on my way.

€60,-

I found another solution! Damien is right - many people wake up early, rustle their plastic bags and wake up the whole albergue, so it's common to just get up and go in the dark without coffee, sometimes til 10 a.m. That's in addition to lack of sleep from farting, snoring, drunk pilgrims. Luckily, before I left the US I discovered Grinds, a coffee packet like a tiny teabag that you put in your cheek. It weighs almost nothing. It was designed by 2 baseball players who wanted to help break their addictions to tobacco. It's just coffee. Amazon, some grocery stores and convenience stores carry it near the tobacco chew. The mint flavor really wasn't all that bad. I only needed it a few times, but it saved me from headaches.

As a pilgrim-to-be who really needs coffee in the morning but doesn’t feel the need to be out the door before sunrise - what time will I find places that sell coffee be open? And if I am ever staying at a casa rural or hotel, will I ever have a coffee maker in my room? Just need to set my expectations, please ;)

I should add that I’ll be on the Norte.
Don't count on a cup of coffee before 9. See my reply here about Grinds.

I am definitely going to look for caffeine tablets. As much as I love my one morning mug of coffee, it's not the end of the world if I don't get it. But the ensuing headache from lack of caffeine to kickstart my day is unbearable. Hopefully tablets will address this. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Finding the right Coffee was a bit of a struggle for me on the Camino. I like my coffee strong and black. I did have a fellow pilgrim suggest that Spain has a different coffee culture to Australia. I was served some good coffee. I was served some not so good coffee. I was served some great coffee. I persevered. I survived. There were so many other things to experience on the Camino. The food, the wine, the people, the culture. Good coffee was bonus.

As a true coffee lover, I would never ever consider instant, instead, I'd rather remain sober for an hour or two on the trail, as I have done at times.
I can't believe that some here seriously call themselves "coffee lovers" in this thread and yet refer to this hideous brew as an alternative.
On my first Camino in 2013, I took along this mini espresso maker plus a pound of premium ground highland coffee.

View attachment 121117

The problem with this was manifold: firstly, the extra weight, and secondly, the compelling need for a hot plate. In addition, I was able to find out very quickly that they have wonderful coffee in Spain. No, I do not mean the "Cafe con Leche", but the Corte, Cafe solo, or whatever it is called.

The thing was extremely practical and I became very popular among early risers, btw 😎😎
Nevertheless, I left the device at home on my subsequent Caminos and have since managed very well with the simple solution to start walking only at about 8:00 am. At this hour, there is practically always an open bar around the corner...and if not, then I just run an hour without.
With my normal daily walk routine of about 5 to 6 hours, I still arrive very early at the next place. (With the day heat I rarely have a problem, because I prefer my Caminos taking place in the fall.)

If anyone is interested in my Italian Espresso Maker, I would possibly part with this collectible beauty in mint condition and consider offers starting at 100 Euro, the entire proceeds to be donated to the 🇺🇦Ukraine refugees via the ICRC.
The auction would be conducted publicly and openly in this thread.
I think the thread is really about our need for caffeine and like everything else on the Camino we make do with our caffeine fix regardless of shape and form. A cup of tea or a can of coke is also a substitute. Remember many pilgrims who are on tight budgets will group together pilgrims for the sake of an extra euro just to do laundry. Each to their own. As for the coffee co
As a true coffee lover, I would never ever consider instant, instead, I'd rather remain sober for an hour or two on the trail, as I have done at times.
I can't believe that some here seriously call themselves "coffee lovers" in this thread and yet refer to this hideous brew as an alternative.
On my first Camino in 2013, I took along this mini espresso maker plus a pound of premium ground highland coffee.

View attachment 121117

The problem with this was manifold: firstly, the extra weight, and secondly, the compelling need for a hot plate. In addition, I was able to find out very quickly that they have wonderful coffee in Spain. No, I do not mean the "Cafe con Leche", but the Corte, Cafe solo, or whatever it is called.

The thing was extremely practical and I became very popular among early risers, btw 😎😎
Nevertheless, I left the device at home on my subsequent Caminos and have since managed very well with the simple solution to start walking only at about 8:00 am. At this hour, there is practically always an open bar around the corner...and if not, then I just run an hour without.
With my normal daily walk routine of about 5 to 6 hours, I still arrive very early at the next place. (With the day heat I rarely have a problem, because I prefer my Caminos taking place in the fall.)

If anyone is interested in my Italian Espresso Maker, I would possibly part with this collectible beauty in mint condition and consider offers starting at 100 Euro, the entire proceeds to be donated to the 🇺🇦Ukraine refugees via the ICRC.
The auction would be conducted publicly and openly in this thread.
If you read the thread you may notice it is actually about the need for caffeine. As with everything else on the Camino much of the time we just make do. Our favourite moments are often sitting on the brow of some hill or on a quiet woodland trail having a 2 course meal of stale bread, chorizo and washing it down with lukewarm water followed by dessert in the form of a cookie or a piece of chocolate. At moments like that we are truly free.
As for the whole caffeine thing I do believe each to their own. Even a can of coke would resolve that particular issue. I don't think this thread was meant to debate the whole Coffee connoisseur thing and when pilgrims group together in the evening to save a euro by combining their laundry or checking for blisters on their weary feet then what is or what isn't real coffee is rarely of any significance. Et voilà.

I only drink 2 coffees in the morning and if I miss out will get the rare headache mid afternoon, but for the real caffeine addicts that fear withdrawal symptom there’s caffeine strips that dissolve in the mouth available for middle distance & endurance runners that compete. Look for “Revvies” energy strips available at Chemist Warehouse in Australia (A$3.99 a pack) that are lightweight and have quite a kick. Personally, I like the taste of cafe con leche but my husband can’t understand it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've always loved being outside very early and especially enjoy starting walks and hikes before sunup. As a kid I would be up and outside ready to play two hours before my friends would even wake up.

And I really love one cup of good coffee in the morning.

:DBut I think I'm grumpier when I have bad coffee than when I don't have coffee at all haha.

Reporting live from the Camino on the cold brew coffee system. TLDR: It’s working great!

Before I left, I purchased the cold brew coffee sock on Amazon and tested it to see how much coffee, then packed a scoop to measure. When I arrived in SJPP, I bought coffee.

I’ve ended up using it almost every day. I put the coffee sock in a 1 L plastic water bottle, widemouth. I add the coffee, and slowly pour water into the coffee sock to bloom the grounds. Then I close off the coffee sock, drop it into the water, top off and close the lid.

Eight hours later, we have smooth mellow cold brew coffee for the road. We do stop for an occasional café con Leche, but we sip the cold brew all day.

And we never have to worry about finding an open bar if we leave very early.

Just spent 2 weeks on Porugese, arriving Santiago tomorrow. Left every morning at 6am with coffee in my system. Like the road we find a way. Daniel

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cannot imagine my morning without a cup of coffee with the tasty creamer inside (always take this with me), so for me it is not a problem to make coffee myself. But I understand your wish to wake up early and go for the coffee, but everything is closed... so this is our reality that we have live in :)
The way is to find Camino's fans in your area and ask them to join you for a cup of coffee. Sure it would be pleasant for all of you!

Just discovered, a belated post.

A solution for those wanting to bring sand to the beach

Nanopresso by wacaco.com offers an interesting solution (Disclaimer: I have not tried it out. But media talks well about it).
Weight336 g0.74 lb
It even offers a solution to use Nespresso capsules, so one does not have to carry heavy ground coffee)

Buen Camino

Nanopresso_Wacaco.com.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those 3-in-1 sachets are undeniably convenient, but most are full of dodgy ingredients (artificially sweeteners, palm oil, emulsifiers, etc.). Just saying.

May be of interest:
I like Paul Messner's videos :) and yes, it's usually that wet, most of the time in the UK! :D

I don't usually like the fake milk/cream in those 3-in-1 sachets but that's just my preference. Now my addiction is comparing different brands of "coffee bags", now onto Ueshima coffee... (previously reviewed: M&S coffee bags - pretty good, Taylors of Harrowgate - pretty bad, had to use 2 bags at a time, but don't forget to squeeze the bags to get extra flavour).

I am a fan of the Nestle instant flavoured coffee sachets. When I started working as a bus driver, I found that the availability of coffee is inversely related to the ability to find somewhere to park my bus. So, a supply of sachets and an insulated bottle of boiled water solved my dilemma. I'm packing some for my Camino in May.

I am a fan of the Nestle instant flavoured coffee sachets. When I started working as a bus driver, I found that the availability of coffee is inversely related to the ability to find somewhere to park my bus. So, a supply of sachets and an insulated bottle of boiled water solved my dilemma. I'm packing some for my Camino in May.
Bottom line its really about the caffeine isn't it so in times of need then why not. Enjoy your Camino Roscoe.

I love cafe con leche in Spain, and at home I always use a lot of cream in my coffee; I can not drink it black or only with sugar.
When walking on the Via Francigena last fall, good coffee was not available every morning so I tried the Nestle instant coffee sachets and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I actually enjoyed them. I know now that other brands sell a similar product...I am now a fan in a pinch!

€60,-
Hi Damien -

A fantastic cafe con leche awaits you in Camas, basically the first suburb you pass through after you leave the centre of Seville and which is around 5kms out.

F12365C2-E6E9-474B-8D06-291E4FAFF029.jpeg

I really enjoyed this one last April at a cafe on the right hand side of the straight road out of town past the Plaza Constitución where there’s a large roundabout. Gosh it was good!

Buen VDLP Camino!

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

As espoused by others familiar with camping equipment, an MSR Pocket Rocket, some fuel, and a lightweight percolator will give you total coffee control & independence.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back