• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For first-time pilgrims leaving soon...

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
That first camino is so special.
And already you've begun: there's a palpable fizz of excitement around here before the late August and September departures, with lots and lots of questions about bookings, about weight, about footwear, about last minute preparations. All those the questions definitely have their place, but they're often (as much as anything) a symptom of pre-camino jitters. So if you're feeling anxious, not to worry. This is normal, and nearly universal.

In a week, or two, or three, you'll be walking. And once you take those first steps, the nerves and excitement will naturally abate as the questions begin to answer themselves one by one. In no time you'll find your rhythm and become a grizzled peregrino/a, seasoned by the way, one step at a time.

Buen Camino everyone! Our hearts go with you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well put VNwalking. September is a wonderful time to walk and you all will be among friends. Enjoy every step and be open to what lessons the Camino has to teach.

Safe travels and Buen Camino everyone!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are leaving in a week. Thank you for your post. I'm excited, nervous and have a weird calmness setting in. Bouncing from one to another, to another, to ......
Just dawned on me - I will be leaving my home for 3 months, but will have my home on my back with everything I really need.

Thank you, I'm a first timer starting this week (I fly to Biarritz on Tuesday 29 and start walking Thursday 31 ) and I'm full of jitters. Is my back too heavy? Shall I switch the crocs for flip flops? Is my hat wide brimmed enough? Will I be fit enough? Will I succumb to the blisters? And I'm not looking for answers to these questions...que sera sera. It will all be wonderful I'm sure. I'm planning to spend tomorrow, my final day prior to departure, in contemplation and gratitude for the opportunity.

Nicola, I hope you have a wonderful camino and enjoy every step.

Safe travels and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I too will begin my first Camino from SJPDP on Sept. 14. Feeling excited and a bit nervous. Pre-camino jitters I think. Mostly just looking forward to time for reflection and meeting others. Thank you for all the kind thoughts and wishes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And already you've begun: there's a palpable fizz of excitement around here before the late August and September departures, with lots and lots of questions about bookings, about weight, about footwear, about last minute preparations. All those the questions definitely have their place, but they're often (as much as anything) a symptom of pre-camino jitters. So if you're feeling anxious, not to worry. This is normal, and nearly universal.

In a week, or two, or three, you'll be walking. And once you take those first steps, the nerves and excitement will naturally abate as the questions begin to answer themselves one by one. In no time you'll find your rhythm and become a grizzled peregrino/a, seasoned by the way, one step at a time.

Flying to Paris/train to SJPP in 2 days. Really appreciated this!

I'm just noticing this thread now - great idea, and great advice for new and not so new peregrinos. I'm in countdown mode for the Norte (10 days time) and I still get all those pre-camino jitters!

To those setting off: wishing you a wonderful Camino. Savour every moment; the memories will keep you warm through the winter.
If you have questions, or run into problems when you're there, the forum can be a useful virtual support group. However, it's only one of many sources of help - a lot of problems are far better solved by speaking to the people around you. Reaching out for help, especially with language barriers might feel a little daunting, but (IMO) it's an important and memorable part of our journey as pilgrims. We learn to ask for help, accept it graciously and give help and support to others. In doing so, we become part of that special fellowship where the Camino does indeed provide. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Reaching out for help, especially with language barriers might feel a little daunting, but (IMO) it's an important and memorable part of our journey as pilgrims. We learn to ask for help, accept it graciously and give help and support to others. In doing so, we become part of that special fellowship where the Camino does indeed provide.
Beautiful, and so true.

VNwalking:
You are SO right on all levels that you addressed in your post above! I am a first-time Peregrina. I have serious hee-bee-jee-bees. But this forum has provided so much support and encouragement that I feel I have the courage to complete this epic journey.
Last minute preparations: I am doing them now.
The other things...bookings, footwear, weight (except my own personal weight...Ufda!) are all pretty much OK...as far as I know...only beginning to walk will tell.
We have good arrangements with friends to keep our car while we fly from Sea-Tac to Iceland then Paris. We're good to go there. We have "an idea" of train connections to Bayonne where we will spend a night. We're good to go there. I have gotten in touch with Beilari where we will spend two nights. We're "good to go" there. I've gotten in touch with Orisson. One night. We're good to go there. And then to Roncevalles...where I "think" we'll be staying. And then from there on......we'll figure it out. And the saying of; "All the best laid plans..." We'll figure it out. So many times I've relied on the kindness of others and it has been an education about the goodness of the general population of the world. Generally, we want to help others. I hope I can do the same along The Way.
Sorry about waxing philosophically but my heart is filled with optimism despite my body being a challenge.
Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement to us all "newbies" and also a reminder to those of you who are veterans.
Kaaren B

Buen Camino, Kaaren! You do sound 'good to go!'
The camino will definitely throw you some curve balls. That's it's job, near as I can figure out.;)
But:
....we'll figure it out.
will be what gets you through...that, and the patience and good humor that doesn't take it all so seriously.

my heart is filled with optimism despite my body being a challenge.
Your body will be a challenge. Everyone's is. Learning to discern the difference between a whining mind and a body that needs attention, medical care, or rest is part of the art of the way. In the end, you'll be amazed what you can do.

[Edit..."ufda?"...Well, if you're from Minnesota, with that kind of humor you're definitely good to go.:D]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
:)
Spot on. Thank you for this reassurance! I leave next week for my first Camino, and have spent this week endlessly packing, re-packing, adding, subtracting, and generally fussing over my pack. Ready to GO already!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back