• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For the Women Only...Walking With DD Breasts

lizlane

Small Town Girl, Small Town World
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Greetings from America, ladies!
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be free to leave the country to walk my Camino until after June 3rd. I was hoping to walk in May but I'm required to be here to finish settling my mom's estate, which won't be possible until after the June 3rd date. I am having to be willing to open myself to less desirable times of the year if I hope to go to actually make it to Santiago in 2019. My go-to default plan was to be open to going in September (because I'm so fair and don't want to haul more sunscreen than necessary) but as the American South heads into Spring, the summers here are brutal. Spain would be no different. Which presents new issues.

This is a sensitive subject so I need to feel like I'm talking to the girls in the lockerroom.

I have extremely large breasts...38 DDs. I'm a small woman (5 feet 3 inches). Wearing a tank top or T-shirt doesn't look the same on me as it does our lesser-breasted companions and sisters. I'm a Catholic convert and I try to be mindful of this in a world that hawks low-cut everything. I'm not walking to meet or be propositioned by the "breast men" of the world. This is a deeply spiritual walk for me. I've waited seven years for the time, money and freedom to walk. I've purchased Purple Rain Walking/Hiking Skirts, have numerous sarongs I can bring and ultimately if God were willing I would love to meet a nice, kind Catholic man. But I don't want to look like a tramp.

I also don't want to get under-the-breast funk. Older ladies with boobs will know what I am talking about. You very blessed nymph-women with your little boobies will not know what I am speaking of. My breasts are real as in non-surgical so they need good bras to keep them where they are supposed to be. And the bigger the breast, the more expensive the bra. Are two good-fitting bras enough? Would I be better supported with a bra plus a sport-tank with wicking material? How do I avoid the cheesey-ball smell so many dudes get? A shower at night/end of walk of course~ but beyond that, sometimes it takes little for me to develop a heat rash under the breast along the underwire.

I was just wondering how you might have handled these issues. I.e. bringing body talc. Using a regular sport-tank combined with underwire, would Body-Glide be appropriate in this area? Your sister needs your help. Please and thanks in advance~

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aside from the under-the breast issue is how to support 12 pounds hanging off your front so general advice on support is appreciated.

Greetings from America, ladies! (Go away you pervvy boys)

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be free to leave the country to walk my Camino until after June 3rd. I was hoping to walk in May but I'm required to be here to finish settling my mom's estate, which won't be possible until after the June 3rd date. I am having to be willing to open myself to less desirable times of the year if I hope to go to actually make it to Santiago in 2019. My go-to default plan was to be open to going in September (because I'm so fair and don't want to haul more sunscreen than necessary) but as the American South heads into Spring, the summers here are brutal. Spain would be no different. Which presents new issues.

This is a sensitive subject so really if you're a nosy guy...get lost. Now. Please. I need to feel like I'm talking to the girls in the lockerroom.

I have extremely large breasts...38 DDs. I'm a small woman (5 feet 3 inches). Wearing a tank top or T-shirt doesn't look the same on me as it does our lesser-breasted companions and sisters. I'm a Catholic convert and I try to be mindful of this in a world that hawks low-cut everything. I'm not walking to meet or be propositioned by the "breast men" of the world. This is a deeply spiritual walk for me. I've waited seven years for the time, money and freedom to walk. I've purchased Purple Rain Walking/Hiking Skirts, have numerous sarongs I can bring and ultimately if God were willing I would love to meet a nice, kind Catholic man. But I don't want to look like a tramp.

I also don't want to get under-the-breast funk. Older ladies with boobs will know what I am talking about. You very blessed nymph-women with your little boobies will not know what I am speaking of. My breasts are real as in non-surgical so they need good bras to keep them where they are supposed to be. And the bigger the breast, the more expensive the bra. Are two good-fitting bras enough? Would I be better supported with a bra plus a sport-tank with wicking material? How do I avoid the cheesey-ball smell so many dudes get? A shower at night/end of walk of course~ but beyond that, sometimes it takes little for me to develop a heat rash under the breast along the underwire.

I was just wondering how you might have handled these issues. I.e. bringing body talc. Using a regular sport-tank combined with underwire, would Body-Glide be appropriate in this area? Your sister needs your help. Please and thanks in advance~

Hi Lizlane,

Evolution sure hasn't been the kindest to us ladies! Without going into tmi, I am one of those "blessed nymph-women" you speak of so can't give any insight into what support might be best 😂 However, I have a medical background so can offer a little bit of advice on the rash side of things.

Moisture, heat and friction under the breast are the enemy and create a breeding ground for infection and nasty rashes. Any type of fold creating skin on skin is to be avoided. The preventative measures you mentioned such as daily showering and wearing a wicking bra will help immensely with that. Have you ever tried using an antiperspirant in the area to keep things more dry? Something with aluminium chloride as an ingredient is needed - a deodorant alone won't help with moisture, it only masks smells. Talc could also be a good measure. If you do notice things starting to get "cheesey" in there, I suggest picking up a medicated talc in a farmacia containing an antifungal such as miconazole (similar idea to athlethes foot or jock itch).

Not so sure about using a lubricant - some ladies with a bit of experience with chafing may be able to answer that better.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have not tried rubbing my Secret deodorant under the breasts. Honestly, I'm scared of that much aluminum exposure, especially to such a sensiitive area. I have boxes of miconazole samples from my father's medical practice but getting those through custom might be tricky without a prescription (which is easily resolved with a prescription). Thanks for your reply.

I am blessed with generous topside frontal appendages. When I’m ballet-modern dancer thin, I wear a 32C and I’m only 5’ feet nearrrrly 2”.

I’m not dancer thin now, soon to be again, anyway padded sports bras are my go to. Lightly padded, you know why. Lots of support, absorb sweat, love em!

May your mom RIP.

May you and Santiago have a blast.

Buen camino.

Yay you for posting on this topic!! This appreciation comes from a 32gg 🙄 so I empathise. Last year I bought two sports bras to manage the bounce - they were fairly robust, and because of the heat and sweat I fully expected ‘funk’. But no... all was perfectly fine. I rinsed them out every day, all was good. T shirts I made my own simple tee shirts using Polartec Powerdry. It wicks really well, dries in a few moments, and kept me totally cool. Finally skin protection... I burn just looking at the sun, but am allergic to some sun protection. I took P20. An amazingly effective product, and was amazed to not have any sunburn at all, despite walking in 28-30 degrees every day. At night I wore a long tunic top, which with arms folded (🤞) enabled me to keep my dignity on trips to the loo through the dormitory. All the issues I had anticipated, just melted away in the end, as did many minor but persistent concerns pre-camino. People in dorms were respectful, And in the end ... well.....this is the shape I am. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Buen Camino. 👍😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I could not find a sports bra I am a G 😑. Jaja Dolly Parton. I used my normal bra which is partial cotton Susa Topsy. A top heavy Canadian had a fabulous bra but I don’t remember the brand.I use a silk hanky to protect those spots mentioned and between. They a light weight and you can have a couple of then to exchange them. There are shoulder thingies to help with the weight distribution. So try it with your back bag. Where the back bag straps are rubbIng I used WicVaporub or you can use body glide. But try it out before you go. Other than that give them freedom as often as possible. I wear a large T-shirt in the night. There is a hiking thread on the net just search for it . She had great tips for the female questions. I think she is from the US https://www.hiking-for-her.com/sports-bras-for-hiking.html
The back bag was actually a counter weight.😜

...Due to circumstances beyond my control...I was hoping to walk in May but I'm required to be here to finish settling my mom's estate...going in September (because I'm so fair and don't want to haul more sunscreen than necessary) but as the American South heads into Spring, the summers here are brutal. Spain would be no different. Which presents new issues....

@lizlane, ironically I've been bra shopping for the past two days and, am going on Camino the beginning of September!

First, I'm sorry you have to deal with your beloved Mother's 'estate' business. I had to deal with the same, last July. Secondly, I live in Las Vegas, NV. so I was thrilled at the idea of not being here during the BL🔥ZING month of August, even though I realize I'll still be dealing with some heat.

...I have extremely large breasts...a Catholic convert and I try to be mindful of this in a world that hawks low-cut everything...ultimately if God were willing I would love to meet a nice, kind Catholic man. But I don't want to look like a tramp.

I hear you!..."Mindful" 💖 ...I'll pray for you (I met my guy on Catholic Match)!

...the bigger the breast, the more expensive the bra. Are two good-fitting bras enough? ... wicking material? ... cheesey smell ...but beyond that, sometimes it takes little for me to develop a heat rash under the breast along the underwire...
Not necessarily more expensive...wicking material (YES!) is usually nylon so, I look for bras with a high % of nylon in the parts which come in contact with my skin. I usually not always, end up with Playtex which isn't too pricey. That said, you know your best bet is to go try several on, with one of your Camino tops. Speaking of tops, my favorite is Columbia Silver Ridge styles (I get them on sale). They offer excellent durability (they last for years!) style (always crisp looking), functionality (they provide SPF 40 so, no need for me to slather on heat inducing lotion) and they are airy/lightweight! If I get too hot, I just pour water on myself and these shirts are instant AC! I also wear Macabi skirts which are nylon and I tailor so, I don't look like a Cirque du Soleil performer...Have you used a salt crystal deodorant? They do work extremely well when properly applied and, a sliver like the one pictured below can last for MONTHS! This may benefit your under bra beltline (the bottom elastic) as, it inhibits the odor causing bacterial growth. Another thing that might really help is a bra liner. They come in all kinds of wonderful fabrics. They REALLY help the underneath from chaf due to rubbing and sweat!

Lastly, if you do go with high nylon content...please remember to avoid open flames. ;)
Salt Crystal Deodorant (can be used on feet, too!)

Bra liner

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings from America, ladies! (Go away you pervvy boys)

This is a sensitive subject so really if you're a nosy guy...get lost. Now. Please. I need to feel like I'm talking to the girls in the lockerroom.

You may want to take a look at shefit bras website www.shefit.com. Their bras are a bit pricey (but worth it) and accommodate larger sizes.

@lizlane, ironically I've been bra shopping for the past two days and, am going on Camino the beginning of September!

First, I'm sorry you have to deal with your beloved Mother's 'estate' business. I had to deal with the same, last July. Secondly, I live in Las Vegas, NV. so I was thrilled at the idea of not being here during the BL🔥ZING month of August, even though I realize I'll still be dealing with some heat.

I hear you!..."Mindful" 💖 ...I'll pray for you (I met my guy on Catholic Match)!

Not necessarily more expensive...wicking material (YES!) is usually nylon so, I look for bras with a high % of nylon in the parts which come in contact with my skin. I usually not always, end up with Playtex which isn't too pricey. That said, you know your best bet is to go try several on, with one of your Camino tops. Speaking of tops, my favorite is Columbia Silver Ridge styles (I get them on sale). They offer excellent durability (they last for years!) style (always crisp looking), functionality (they provide SPF 40 so, no need for me to slather on heat inducing lotion) and they are airy/lightweight! If I get too hot, I just pour water on myself and these shirts are instant AC! I also wear Macabi skirts which are nylon and I tailor so, I don't look like a Cirque du Soleil performer...Have you used a salt crystal deodorant? They do work extremely well when properly applied and, a sliver like the one pictured below can last for MONTHS! This may benefit your under bra beltline (the bottom elastic) as, it inhibits the odor causing bacterial growth. Another thing that might really help is a bra liner. They come in all kinds of wonderful fabrics. They REALLY help the underneath from chaf due to rubbing and sweat!

Lastly, if you do go with high nylon content...please remember to avoid open flames. ;)
View attachment 54729

View attachment 54728
Bra liner
Thank you!!! I have learned something new today! Bra Liner!! These DD's get sweaty!! 😜

Sweating is extremely unpleasant when large breasted, I know what you are talking about! Body glide does wonders for me. I apply it on belly folds and under my breasts. I wash if off after hiking, under the shower and apply it again before hitting the trail.
I will look into the bra liner, great tip!

Attachments

• 1554948337802.png
    1554948337802.png
    510.2 KB · Views: 8
These are all great suggestions! You ladies rock!! It's good to know Body Glide can work in my situation!. Anytime I go to the gym I shower after but I never go to the gym and work out for 8 hours lol.

What about a sports bra, or switching to one without underwire? I’m a 44DD and I can’t stand underwire, I’m able to find great supportive bras at AdditionElle or similar stores.

If you are looking at ways to address sweat and heat rash, you might try a couple of LUSH powders. They have body powders that are not talc based (health concern) and also have a little powdered coconut oil in them so they feel smooth on the skin. They include some nice natural fragrance as well. The Silky Underwear powder is a favourite of mine, and a bottle does not weigh much at all. While you are there, consider one of their shampoo bars like Karma Komba as an all purpose shampoo, shower soap, and laundry soap. Light, lasts forever, works very well.

Hi I'm a 34GG. I take normal walking t-shirts/shirts, but not low cut and two underwire bras with me. One in use one in the wash. I put the clean one on after a shower in the evening and wear the next day and wash the other one ready for the next evening. I hope this helps you. Buen Camino x

Aside from the under-the breast issue is how to support 12 pounds hanging off your front so general advice on support is appreciated.
I’m no nymph but not especially well-endowed either. However, most of us over 60 have some understanding of UBFunk 🤨 I carried a talcum powder which worked for me. Also, I tended to wash my bra every second day (I carried 2). Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am actually more like a “G” but was very comfortable on the Camino with a 40DD Brooks sports bra. No underwire or sharp material, dried fairly quickly. It fit snuggly under the breast area so less likely to have sweat build up and rubbing as the material of the bra absorbed it. I brought two bras only. Happy hunting! And buen Camino!

I wear Anita Maximum sports bra. 36 G.
It is brilliant. Supportive, wicking and comfortable and lasts for years.
I wear an xl hiking shirt or a loose yoga top for hiking and have made a loose tunic silk dress to sleep in, that I can get changed under and wear in and out of shower room.
No issues.

As to bringing meds through customs. Pharmacists in Spain (and Portugal) are often able to help with something without a formal piece of paper from an MD, especially when they learn you are a peregrina. Some that require an rx here can be obtained there without one. Like here, the pharmacist is not always male, and will have a good suggestion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a 12G with a couple of caminos under my belt, I vouch for Adhesive non-woven fabrics used for holding medical dressings in place. It’s 100mm wide. The brand I currently have is Fixomull Stretch, manufactured by BSN Medical in Germany. I cut two pieces and attach them under my breasts where my bra rubs. I just leave it on and wash it as if it’s my skin until it falls off. Good also for rubbed shoulders from bra straps digging in, and at tops of legs when chafing is a problem. In the case of the latter, it’s easiest to apply lying down, sans knickers.

Buen Camino! I’m a 38F/G and 5’4”. I’ve tried several different scenarios. You can get a sports bra in your size from Lane Bryant, not all of the styles are equal though. Look for the ones with sturdier straps. For me however I feel too constrained and bulky in them. Lane Bryant also carries a nice reasonably priced mostly cotton bra WITHOUT a wire, which I’m wearing right now made by Cacique. I don’t know if there’s a model name but I just took mine off(haha) and looked at the tag and it says “unlined full coverage no-wire” LOL, how’s that for creativity? I really like this bra and lots of other women do too, they sell a ton of them. Decent support for such large breasts plus no bulkiness and I don’t feel like I’m swimming in a pool of sweat. You could always use some wipes to refresh yourself if you get too uncomfortable. These bras are lightweight so not taking up tons of room in the pack and easy to wash. They also make a polyester version that is more supportive, has a bit more lining, and again has a band instead of a wire. I took three bras, one of each of these and an old reliable underwire in case I wanted to not look like a pilgrim lol. Also, I tried to take old stuff in case I had to or wanted to ditch anything. As for shirts, I would stay away from tight fitting and V-necks, really, breast men are everywhere, so just go about your business, what you’re wearing doesn’t stop them from taking note...

Hi Lizlane, You may wish to explore the brand “Knix” - no underwires, all sorts of styles including what they claim to have as the “best sports bra” ever. http://knix.com/. Two styles of sports bras, the Catalyst probably the one you may want to try (not the ‘pull over your head’ type which can be brutal when you get stuck with your arms in the air with a sweaty bra half off/half on! 😮. All my colleagues are ditching all their bras and only wear this brand now. Good luck and enjoy your much deserved walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have not tried rubbing my Secret deodorant under the breasts. Honestly, I'm scared of that much aluminum exposure, especially to such a sensiitive area. I have boxes of miconazole samples from my father's medical practice but getting those through custom might be tricky without a prescription (which is easily resolved with a prescription). Thanks for your reply.
The scare stories about aluminium are just that, scare stories. Proper scientific studies show that there is no danger, so you don't need to worry about it.

Miconazole is available in Spain, as is clotrimazole, both over the counter from pharmacies so if you have some available there shouldn't be any problem about taking a tube with you.

With all due respect, unfortunately I cannot make any sensible suggestion on this subject. And not because I think it is not serious ...... It is remarkable that it is discussed here. What a Camino cannot achieve all!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Lizlane,
Another one to try.... I know they are not the cheapest by any means, but I really could not do without Lululemon’s Enlite bra. Everything stays put, but no underwire and no seams to rub. Plus, as you say you want something modest, they aren’t that low cut so provide a bit more coverage should you lean forward in your v-neck t-shirt or whatever.

I used to have a real problem running marathons or doing xc-ski races because I’d end up with a red raw band around my chest and under my arms. Just thought that was how it was for someone my size doing a long event. No longer!

Hope you find something that works for you.

Lizlane and ladies -I hear ya sistas! I recommend Champion Max Support Bra #1602. If you had to take your shirt off or your shirt gets wet - you still have full coverage. For underbra funk or anywhere sweat may gather - my doctor recommended Zeasorb (athletes foot powder) -works for me. I start the CF on 25 Aug - hope to see you ladies out there.

This is a sensitive subject so I need to feel like I'm talking to the girls in the lockerroom.

A natural crystal deo spray is going to be more comfortable to use than a stick or roll-on because it’s not going to be sticky :) It’s very effective, too. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EZ2GWV4/?tag=casaivar02-20

As for your search for a good Catholic man, the best thing you can do is to pray to St. Joseph! :)

I have found Panache Sport bras to be excellent..(wired or wireless ).. I’m a 36 E and am also interested in “just getting along”. My first Camino , but I do a lot of sports and plan on bringing 3 plus a sleep bra in May. We’ll see! Buen Camino when you get there!

Sports bras are my preference. It took a lot of searching but I managed to find three that would fit my E cups and kind of compress them a bit too. I got ones specifically designed for runners with large breasts (no wire but very supportive). Oddly enough the top name brand ones were all rubbish for this and too small, but cheaper brands had them!

I took two with me and they both had wicking fabric on the base strap to prevent sweat building up under my breasts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi- 42DDD checking in for the conversation. I'm thinking back on my camino last spring and realizing I never noticed having any problems with the girls. I'm a bit surprised, really. Every item of clothing I had was quick dry, including the two "high impact" sports bras from Lane Bryant (https://cacique.lanebryant.com/high-impact-sculpting-no-wire-sport-bra/prd-346908#color/0000081590). These suckers kept everything locked down and in place through the whole camino, and were comfortable enough to sleep in for the first part when I was staying in the albergues. I walked April-May, with the hottest days being in the 80s rather than what you will encounter in the summer, so I don't know what to say about the other issues. I didn't get any "funk" I could remember. I also washed them after every wear so every morning it was fresh.

What struck me, though, was your comment about wanting to be cool but still modest in tank tops. As a Seattle girl who hates hot weather, has sun-sensitivity issues, and is allergic to chemical sunscreens, sun exposure was a very big concern for me. I found a great shirt in a sporting goods store in Estella that I wore on the hot days with intense heat (for me): it was long sleeve with a collar and half zipper, but the materials was so light with microscopic holes in it I hardly noticed I was in a long-sleeve shirt. The wind would literally blow through it. I tried playing the sunscreen game the first few days of the intense exposure (started just as I reached Los Arcos) -- which for me meant I kept reapplying that thick white zinc oxide stuff I have to use, so everything I was wearing that day was streaked with white, it was beading off my skin with the sweat, and I still got sunburned (or sun-poisoning reaction, to be exact). Once I started wearing that shirt on the sunny days, I never touched the sunscreen again. You might want to consider finding a similar long-sleeved shirt for modesty and sun protection, but still super light and airy to keep cool.

Funny sidenote: a friend I met and walked with was from Florida and loved the sun, while Seattle fish-belly me hated the sun. On the hot days we walked together, I was covered up a al Greta Garbo while she was wearing practically nothing. The morning we met in Portomarin to walk, it was gray and overcast. My heart was singing and I wore a short sleeve shirt with shorts, so happy to have cool weather again... while my Florida friend was bundled up with her heavy jacket, a scarf, and a knit hat.

Buen Camino!

Lizlane, I hear you. I'm a 40G myself, and have a heck of a time finding sports bras with large enough cups, so I'm experimenting with sewing my own. Front zip, to deal with the problem of getting a bra on over my head after a shower; no underwire, because they are way uncomfortable when moving around; NOT COTTON (!), after an experience wit hypothermia many years ago (hot sunny day turned to cool foggy afternoon). As for the under boobs issue, I go with Mitchum solid antiperspirant (I use for all body folds), but I can understand if you want to steer away from the aluminium in those products.

Yes, like all other clothes items two bras are enough, especially in the summer if you wash one each day it will be dry by bedtime.

Found a PFG long-sleeved button-down shirt in a Columbia outlet store, but you can probably find one online as well, they have a good range of sizes in outdoor clothing, unlike almost every other outfitter. Anyone who wants to dress modestly will have no problem finding appropriate tops there. For bottoms, I've gone with Kosher Casual, made in Israel, ships everywhere, reasonable prices.

May your mom rest in peace. A Santiago!

I'm in the UK and I find Asda supermarket's sports gear is surprisingly good, and it comes in larger sizes than most sports shops sell.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you @Sher for hustling him out of the girls locker-room lol. What I find remarkable is that there has not been a thread like this before! Leave it to the brash Americans, you know we'll talk about anything lol. And I can't imagine a better place for this thread than under equipment questions. And I'm quite sure if men had testes that weighed 12 pounds and were looking for ways to support them, this would be the most searched out thread.

I want to thank everyone for responding and for the men staying out of it. This can be a sensitive subject for many women and having the benefit of women who are active is priceless. The last thing I want to is neglect this since chaffing could become a serious issue and having actual support for the front is as important as a the best backpack to get. I will be ordering some of the recommended brands and trying them to see what works best for me.

I could not find a sports bra I am a G 😑. Jaja Dolly Parton. I used my normal bra which is partial cotton Susa Topsy. A top heavy Canadian had a fabulous bra but I don’t remember the brand.I use a silk hanky to protect those spots mentioned and between. They a light weight and you can have a couple of then to exchange them. There are shoulder thingies to help with the weight distribution. So try it with your back bag. Where the back bag straps are rubbIng I used WicVaporub or you can use body glide. But try it out before you go. Other than that give them freedom as often as possible. I wear a large T-shirt in the night. There is a hiking thread on the net just search for it . She had great tips for the female questions. I think she is from the US https://www.hiking-for-her.com/sports-bras-for-hiking.html
Glamorise makes good sports bras for large cup sizes. Some have wicking away material. I use Gold Bond Medicated powder
And use my own coconut oil with lavender and lemongrass essential oil a couple of drops each in about 10 oz.

Try Glamorise, or for serious sports bras, Enelle.

Hi Mark
I find this’s perfectly normal. A normal gear discussion. We are not doing Dallas here. This is about as interesting for you as maybe the ultra light discussion should I now cut my toothbrush in half to save 20 g for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi- 42DDD checking in for the conversation. I'm thinking back on my camino last spring and realizing I never noticed having any problems with the girls. I'm a bit surprised, really. Every item of clothing I had was quick dry, including the two "high impact" sports bras from Lane Bryant (https://cacique.lanebryant.com/high-impact-sculpting-no-wire-sport-bra/prd-346908#color/0000081590). These suckers kept everything locked down and in place through the whole camino, and were comfortable enough to sleep in for the first part when I was staying in the albergues. I walked April-May, with the hottest days being in the 80s rather than what you will encounter in the summer, so I don't know what to say about the other issues. I didn't get any "funk" I could remember. I also washed them after every wear so every morning it was fresh.

What struck me, though, was your comment about wanting to be cool but still modest in tank tops. As a Seattle girl who hates hot weather, has sun-sensitivity issues, and is allergic to chemical sunscreens, sun exposure was a very big concern for me. I found a great shirt in a sporting goods store in Estella that I wore on the hot days with intense heat (for me): it was long sleeve with a collar and half zipper, but the materials was so light with microscopic holes in it I hardly noticed I was in a long-sleeve shirt. The wind would literally blow through it. I tried playing the sunscreen game the first few days of the intense exposure (started just as I reached Los Arcos) -- which for me meant I kept reapplying that thick white zinc oxide stuff I have to use, so everything I was wearing that day was streaked with white, it was beading off my skin with the sweat, and I still got sunburned (or sun-poisoning reaction, to be exact). Once I started wearing that shirt on the sunny days, I never touched the sunscreen again. You might want to consider finding a similar long-sleeved shirt for modesty and sun protection, but still super light and airy to keep cool.

Funny sidenote: a friend I met and walked with was from Florida and loved the sun, while Seattle fish-belly me hated the sun. On the hot days we walked together, I was covered up a al Greta Garbo while she was wearing practically nothing. The morning we met in Portomarin to walk, it was gray and overcast. My heart was singing and I wore a short sleeve shirt with shorts, so happy to have cool weather again... while my Florida friend was bundled up with her heavy jacket, a scarf, and a knit hat.

Buen Camino!
I like what you had to say..I, too, am heat sensitive; not because of sunburn, but the inability to handle too high temperatures without being able to cool off ( I have MS)..However, I think I'll be fine as long as I can be wet if its hot!! We will be walking all of June, through Portuguese to Spain; am thinking we will be encountering a lot of rain..not sure if we are going the coastal or central route; but we have time on our side, and I am not too proud to call it quits, if need be.

Try a crystal deodorant under your breasts. I feel your pain being small but well endowed.
Or maybe a singlet/vest under your bra.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
With all due respect, unfortunately I cannot make any sensible suggestion on this subject. And not because I think it is not serious ...... It is remarkable that it is discussed here. What a Camino cannot achieve all!
I like that you spoke up and didn't feel threatened to express yourself! If it's a "Men Only" post, OF COURSE I'm going to check it out...I just MIGHT have something of value to contribute.

Just finishing my Camino tomorrow... walking into Santiago. Wanted to update that my two sports bras at a time was a dumb idea! Putting one on over my head after each shower is bad enough two was ridiculous. Also, walking all day is not the same as working out at the gym. I wish I would have just worn my regular bra and brought a spare. The rest of my packing proved to be quite good but this whole bra issue is the one thing I would change.

I have 32 H (natural and well let's say there were higher up pre 2 children). I walk in Freya Epic http://www.freyalingerie.com/active/epic/aw16/moulded_crop_top_sports_bra.aspx?colour=carbon
have 2 with me and wash one every day. It is a bit wider in cup so the breast are separated and it breaths well. Covers the breast as well. It has padded straps to less be burden under the backpack. I don't use any talk or anything like that. I ordered my bras from Amazon to a good price.

Edit: I first wrote Active Sonic sports bra (http://www.freyalingerie.com/active/sonic/ocf/moulded_sports_bra.aspx?colour=ocean fever) but that one I bought after the camino mixed up the names. Sonic doesn't cover as much as the Epic.

Last edited:

View attachment 54729

View attachment 54728
Bra liner
I second the chrystal deodorant. Have used it for years. I have just bought Berlei BE bras. I am fairly well endowed so do not need a bra with extra padding. They seem comfortable so hope they will work for the Camino. Also panty liners tucked into your bra to absorb sweat.

Just got an unexpected but pleasant surprise in bra finds. Radiant by Vanity Fair offers soft no-wire support, nicely molded cups and minimal cup pad (to help tone down 'headlights'), in an extremely well constructed bra made from quick drying 89% Nylon and 11% Spandex. OH! Also, it has 2 way convertible straps!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back