• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For those not on the Camino, where are you feeling called to right now?

zenofmatthew

Time of past OR future Camino
10/4/21 - 10/12/21 Vega to Santiago.
If you're not wandering the Camino now, where do you feel called to? And before anyone goes grammar gangbusters on me, it's a spiritual call, a "really want to be there now" feeling.

I get called to various places, depending on what's going on in front of me. Anyhow, at the moment, I've had a rotten day so I'm being called back to Finisterre. The end of the world. Hardest move to back to reality ever, a beautiful place. Nearly walked away from it all, but reality pulled me back in. That break did me a world of good.

How about you? I hope this thread can live, helping folks attach some emotion to the places along the way, either in anticipation or in memory of a part of our journeys. Like the lady sang, "dreaming is free."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Time for some late fall hiking in The Canadian Rockies, so off to my condo in Canmore, Alberta. tomorrow View from my deck...
IMG_2498.JPG
God willing, my next Camino will be the DelNorte in fall 2023. Originally this was for fall 2020, then Covid happened...

Go with it and I hope that any nudges or calls you get come about and you are rewarded greatly, Matt.
I also hope this isn’t “grammar gangbusting” Matt(?)! I do now mostly get a sense of where to go as well as when and over the years it’s worked pretty well for me - but I think I understand what you say.

For me at this time, I currently have a light hold on the thought/draw for mid April next May, starting off from Astorga - along a part of what I personally always find to be a particularly rewarding and “special”section for me, that I’ve now walked 7 times in the past - and branching off at Ponferrada to walk the Invierno for the first time. Then continuing along the Sanabrés to Santiago…. my second time along Sanabrés.

I have been rewarded when I’ve gone with these gentle “nudges” in the past - for February 2018 I went with a very vivid dream that I had one night the previous autumn/fall, of walking in virgin snow over O Cebreiro with one other (who I would meet on the Camino). Unpromisingly warm(‘ish) and clear skies all the way weren’t too promising, until the night before O Cebreiro at Ruitelán when it snowed heavily. No other folk walking or about, but 9pm that night a solitary German student turned up at the otherwise empty albergue and we set off together the next morning into an awesomely beautiful and still morning. There were no others ascending that day to my knowledge. DC09B81B-7343-4769-918D-F25500F25754.jpeg
I go with these gentle “nudges” and calls now….. Always greatly blessed when I do and never disappointed.

1A8349CF-4C15-4D20-B0C1-4C6F6E305C11.jpeg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We travel about every two to three months. Just returned from a mission in the Peruvian Amazon and then at the end of November heading for a vacation visiting Christmas Festival in Hungary, Austria and Germany. February a mission to Liberia West Africa. March walking the Jesus Trail in Israel, The Trail of Saint Francis in Italy and finishing by walking the Camino Frances again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Time for some late fall hiking in The Canadian Rockies, so off to my condo in Canmore, Alberta. tomorrow View from my deck...
View attachment 135687
God willing, my next Camino will be the DelNorte in fall 2023. Originally this was for fall 2020, then Covid happened...
You should ask those people to please stop building and blocking your view :)

If you're not wandering the Camino now, where do you feel called to? And before anyone goes grammar gangbusters on me, it's a spiritual call, a "really want to be there now" feeling.

I get called to various places, depending on what's going on in front of me. Anyhow, at the moment, I've had a rotten day so I'm being called back to Finisterre. The end of the world. Hardest move to back to reality ever, a beautiful place. Nearly walked away from it all, but reality pulled me back in. That break did me a world of good.

How about you? I hope this thread can live, helping folks attach some emotion to the places along the way, either in anticipation or in memory of a part of our journeys. Like the lady sang, "dreaming is free."
I love this thread, I feel a constant calling to be somewhere other than where I am, I have an amazing job which is fulfilling and very rewarding, however I have the constant need to wander! After discovering the Camino I feel I have found another home, no matter which route, it is the experience, the friends in waiting, the beauty, the realisation of the moment and that's all I need! I just wish I could carry it with me when I leave! Alas I have not yet found a way to do this so I will follow my calling back to my Camino whenever the opportunity arises!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think the Portuguese is probably next for me. I have done the Frances and the Norte/Primitivo. I really want to do another Camino this coming summer (would be my third summer in a row) - but doing a lot of home repairs right now - so I think my husband would be furious if I told him I wanted to go on the Camino again this summer. I also really want to do the Via Francigena - but I need a little more time and money for that. I would also LOVE to do the Camino from a far away distance such as from Hungary - but again - need more time and Money. a 4-5 week Camino is perfect for my current situation - and Spain seems to be the most affordable option.

I often feel called back to Madrid, but that's because I used to live there for a while when I was in my 20s.

On the Camino, it isn't a particular location that I am called to (although there are quite a number of locations I'm very fond of) but the activity of walking the Camino itself. I expect many routes or sections would scratch that itch.

Although I am hoping to combine the two in the not too distant future with a Camino that starts at the front door of where I used to live in Madrid.

View attachment 135687
Lovely spot, I have passed many times on my way to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper or further afield. Enjoy! I will be hitting the mountain trails again once I return from Spain. I may see you on trail(?)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I felt called to hike the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago. Had to plan it 15 months in advance, but my husband and I were still somewhat in “Camino shape” after finishing sjpdp to SdC in late June. We hiked from the north rim down to phantom ranch (14 miles) for an overnight and then up the south rim (10 miles)
I’m feeling called to hike the portugues from porto solo next May.

Attachments

• 75A2BAEB-080F-419B-B4C0-740596BC2F0D.jpeg
    75A2BAEB-080F-419B-B4C0-740596BC2F0D.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 10
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Feeling called to write a presentation and sorting my hundreds of pics and videos for the library of my village next month… therefore dreaming about the Camino and my next one in spring … 2 of my children who
live abroad walked 10 days with me last spring ( I. As 6 weeks on the Camuno last spring !they are hooked too now and cannot wait to
Meet me there again .. they have too( this will be my best legacy to them !
Walking in Slovenia with another child for the second time will be another. Call made reality !!!

I'm hoping to accompany some first time pilgrims as far as Pamplona on the Camino Francés next year to give them a "push start." There are some members of my local American Pilgrims chapter that are nervous/uncomfortable about getting started on their own. I think that in those first days that I can give them the tools that they will need to finish the Camino our their own, which I think is important. Plus, I really like the freedom of being on my own on the Camino.😉

After Pamplona I will take a bus up to Irun or Bayonne and walk the Norte/Primitivo.

If I had money, time and it wasn't heading into Winter.

- Knivskjellodden near to Nordkapp.
- Corsica's GR20. But also way too late in season to be doing that.
- Maybe 7 days in Ourense just sitting in the hot spring pools, drinking Rioja and doing very little else.

For now my bed is calling to me. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm hoping to accompany some first time pilgrims as far as Pamplona on the Camino Francés next year to give them a "push start." There are some members of my local American Pilgrims chapter that are nervous/uncomfortable about getting started on their own. I think that in those first days that I can give them the tools that they will need to finish the Camino our their own, which I think is important. Plus, I really like the freedom of being on my own on the Camino.😉

After Pamplona I will take a bus up to Irun or Bayonne and walk the Norte/Primitivo.
I did that to a friend last year from SJpP too ! It is a good compromise ! Many tell
Me they want to walk with me but sometimes it is a bit difficult to explain that you want to be alone ..

I think the Portuguese is probably next for me. I have done the Frances and the Norte/Primitivo. I really want to do another Camino this coming summer (would be my third summer in a row) - but doing a lot of home repairs right now - so I think my husband would be furious if I told him I wanted to go on the Camino again this summer. I also really want to do the Via Francigena - but I need a little more time and money for that. I would also LOVE to do the Camino from a far away distance such as from Hungary - but again - need more time and Money. a 4-5 week Camino is perfect for my current situation - and Spain seems to be the most affordable option.
Portugal is more affordable. Menu del dia Euro 6.50, bfast 3.50 in Spain nearly double that. I walked Portuguese Coastal and Primitivo in May/June and my daily budget in Portugal was def lower.

I got back from Spain on October 14th and my boss called me back to work even though I a allegedly retired
Confess ! you need the money

- I am 2 yrs past retirement and enjoy the combo of job and periodical emphasis on Caminos....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am divided btw starting from Barcelona, on to Montserrat and further on to Jaca and Logroño
and/or taking the Mozarabe from Almeria to Mérida

Making plans is magical and free of charge in the comfort of the flickering light from the wood stove.....

My wife and I walked the Primitivo route starting in Oviedo. Many walking the Del Norte route cross over at Oviedo for the Primitivo route. On reflection the Primitivo has probably been our favorite camino. It has many very hilly days, but the scenery is pretty spectacular.
It is much less developed than the Frances route, but we both saw this as a plus, not a negative.
One thing you must do when reaching Campiello, which is roughly 5 days out of Oviedo, is during that day there is an option for the Hospitals route. This is about 25 k of mountain walking, breath taking scenery...and literally breathtaking because of the climb. No stops so pack a lunch and lots of water. Well worth it. Picture below is from that day.

FB_IMG_1540908597871.jpg

You should ask those people to please stop building and blocking your view :)
Yeah, blocked some of view from the lower level, but view from our second floor is the same. Can't stop progress I guess. Human nature is that once you find a spot you love, you don't want others to build!

For all the places "calling" me, I need at least a hundred more years. Thirty countries so far, hundred fifty to go …

I just got back 10 days ago and already want to do the whole Frances again (or the Norte) early next summer.

Also looking for trail/accommodation info on walking from Iona in Scotland to Lindisfarne in England. Anyone have any leads?

I completed the CF in July, and from the day I arrived in Fisterre I’ve wanted to go back and do it all over again. Every step was special and a memory I will carry in my heart forever.

I am called back to Pilgrim House!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kasee, for Iona to Lindisfarne check out the website of the British Pilgrimage Trust at https://britishpilgrimage.org/ They have identified many ancient and modern pilgrimage routes. You could walk St Columba's way from Iona to St Andrews (261 miles), then the Fife Pilgrim's Way from St Andrew's to North Queensferry, just north of Edinburgh (70 miles). It's then a short distance to North Berwick, possible by public transport or on the John Muir Way. See https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ for this and other long-distance routes. Then pick up the Forth to Farne Way(72 miles, 7 days) which ends on Holy Island.
It would make an amazing walk, but there is likely to be little or no pilgrim infrastructure, and accommodation in the UK is very expensive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
…”And when I’m off Camino? Does a Pilgrim ever step off the road?”
Well said Tincatinker. Now those two questions of yours are quite something! The second question is possibly rhetorical…..Perhaps a pilgrim never does actually step off the road and “back”. Could open up and revisit that - but won’t!
Paraphrasing a certain author:

Why do we leave our homes and our families to travel?
Why do we go away?
So that we can come back!
Why do we leave our homes and the familiar; those we know and love?
So that we meet new friends and see new landscapes and places.
Then we can see the place that we came from with new eyes and extra colours…..And the people we return to then see us differently too.
Coming back to where we started is not the same as never leaving.

I'm doing the Frances in one week stages ,so I guess that is what I'm called to on the Camino for next June. But, while I'm recuperating from a torn meniscus and hairline fracture in my knee, I've signed up to volunteer to help the physically disabled enjoy the outdoors. My church bought the wheel chair and we are expecting to start hiking and rolling in the spring. The state of my knee will dictate if I'm a pusher/puller or helping out some sort of support role.

I want to climb up to Macchu Picchu, in the Andes, before I get too old...
I was going to add that to my list, but it isn't quite as hard for me to achieve. My brother married a Peruvian, so going to Machu Picchu can be arranged through her family (apparently if you are Peruvian you get better rates and higher priority for access). I think trekking to Everest Base Camp or hitting the summit of Kilimanjaro will be harder to achieve, for me.

Anyway those three are bucket list items and to be done by age 60 (so next 14 years). Although my parents did Machu Picchu at 75 in 2020, so age really is just a number. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was going to add that to my list, but it isn't quite as hard for me to achieve. My brother married a Peruvian, so going to Machu Picchu can be arranged through her family (apparently if you are Peruvian you get better rates and higher priority for access). I think trekking to Everest Base Camp or hitting the summit of Kilimanjaro will be harder to achieve, for me.

Anyway those three are bucket list items and to be done by age 60 (so next 14 years). Although my parents did Machu Picchu at 75 in 2020, so age really is just a number. :)
Great bucket list items!! Lucky enough to have done Machu Picchu, Everest Base Camp and Kilimanjaro. Yes defo try and do EBC and ‘Killie’ by the time you are 60! They are tough both physically and mentally, and carry a degree of risk because of the altitude! You can do caminos to a much later age!

I want to do K2 Base Camp and Annapurna Traiil still. Oh and VDLP at some point but every time I look to start something crops up!

Last edited by a moderator:
This week O Cebreiro has been calling out to me at some weird moments. Thankfully I haven't pulled over and left the car behind-it'd be very dangerous in DFW traffic.

Are there any Camino Anonymous meetings nearby? ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are there any Camino Anonymous meetings nearby? ;)
Here you go. 😉

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back