• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For those starting from Sevilla

peregrina2000

Staff member
Todays New York Times travel section once again has an article that might be of interest to pilgrims. It's a 36 Hours in Sevilla: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/travel/02hours.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I have spent several days recently in Sevilla, nothing later than 2011, though, but I wonder how I could have possibly missed the Metropol Parasol, described as being in the old quarter. Has anyone seen or visited it? Surely this is not the way Sevilla should have been spending its euros over the past decade.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Todays New York Times travel section once again has an article that might be of interest to pilgrims. It's a 36 Hours in Sevilla: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/travel/02hours.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I have spent several days recently in Sevilla, nothing later than 2011, though, but I wonder how I could have possibly missed the Metropol Parasol, described as being in the old quarter. Has anyone seen or visited it? Surely this is not the way Sevilla should have been spending its euros over the past decade.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hello Laurie,
Thankyou so much I arrive in Sevilla late on the 23rd then plan to start walking on the 26th. Now I may not start until a few days later just in case I miss a gem or two, I thought it was all about Marmalade. That's what happens in old age.

Ultreia..................................Keith

The Parasol was completed in 2011, given the length of time major infrastructure projects take it is a feature of the old spending. Not something that would be contemplated in today's budgets. However it provides welcome shade in a city where shadow has always been at a premium. And the structures elegantly avoid damage yet provide access to the Roman remains below.

The NYT article looks like a cut & paste of a (Manchester) Guardian article from 2011 which can be no bad thing: recycling is to be encouraged :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will have to keep this for next year then - to late to change plans - always good to hear about these 'gems'
Buen camino
Marilyn

I quite liked the parasol, providing a bizarre new public square above the Plaza de la Encarnacíon. But it was clearly commissioned during the rich years before the crisis económica, and already looks a little shabby around the edges.

parasol.JPG

I quite liked the parasol, providing a bizarre new public square above the Plaza de la Encarnacíon. But it was clearly commissioned during the rich years before the crisis económica, and already looks a little shabby around the edges.

View attachment 9238

Alan, so where is this thing in relationship to the Cathedral, the Alcazar and the park with all the tiled benches? I don't know how I could have missed it!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
About 800 m north of the Cathedral.

Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie
Pre walking in May 2012, I had time to travel around other areas of Spain. Loved Sevilla, and although we researched little before we started, wandering on foot we discovered so much. I didn't know it was called 'the parasol' at the time, but when we stumbled upon it - it is awesome! You can't see it all in a photo. I tried when there but you are limited, it covers a fair area and is so weird. I guess Sevilla's answer to Barcelona's 'Gaudi' architecture,

Also, when they were digging to start, A lot of archaeological remains were uncovered' and can be viewed as they have been included /left to see but with glass protection.

Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Apparently it's known as Las Setas by the locals. It is quite easy to miss, as it's just off the centre, and Seville is so easy to get lost in (and such a delightful place to be lost). It's not far from a very large Corte Inglés and the columns of the Alameda and, as Keith says, only about 10-15 minutes walk north-ish from the cathedral.

For anyone who has a little time in Sevilla.
After the Cathedral and the Parasol mentioned above, I was impressed with the Plaza de Espana . My son told me it was used as location for a Star Wars movie. Leaving there walk straight across the road and spend some time in the beautiful gardens which cover quite a large area. Both these are very close to the Bus station.
Heaps of things to see and places to eat. We took a great tour of the Bull ring, very interesting, went to a flamenco show one evening, wandered along the river bank and over the bridge. You can pick up tickets at riverside for most things including the flamenco show.
Annie
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1397821580.180645.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1397821619.690104.jpg

For anyone who has a little time in Sevilla.
After the Cathedral and the Parasol mentioned above, I was impressed with the Plaza de Espana . My son told me it was used as location for a Star Wars movie. Leaving there walk straight across the road and spend some time in the beautiful gardens which cover quite a large area. Both these are very close to the Bus station.
Heaps of things to see and places to eat. We took a great tour of the Bull ring, very interesting, went to a flamenco show one evening, wandered along the river bank and over the bridge. You can pick up tickets at riverside for most things including the flamenco show.
Annie
View attachment 9257View attachment 9258
Wow I will certainly have to come back and spend some days wandering the streets and I am sure there is even more to enjoy - thanks for all this
Buen camino
Marilyn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are interested, the Archeological Museum of Sevilla is surprisingly good and is located at the south end of the park and gardens that are in front of the Plaza de Espana. There is also a good size Museum of Art (found this less impressive) and some nice fountains and water works in front using traditional tiles. I'll be looking for the parasol as I don't think it wasn't there when I last visited 4 years ago...but the tapas were:)

Geoff, Angela, I am arriving tomorrow ( in Cordoba today). After reading the thread on recent robberies on the first leg of VdlP, I hope you both and I as well as anyone else we can muster, can do the first few days together. Sounds like safety in numbers is the best way to upset or put off these people. See you tomorrow

Deborah, what recent robberies are you talking about? The only robbery I know about took place in April last year and those thieves were caught.

Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Deborah, those thiefs were caught, no problem. This said, you can always consider skipping the first stage and starting in Guillena, as you get off the bus (number 177, last stop in Guillena), just turn left and follow that road, cross the river and after a couple of KM, you will see arrows telling you to turn left into an industrial estate and then into the beautiful countryside!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back