• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For those struggling with French on the way to SJPdP

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not sure why he won't speak French. I'm guessing he feels it's a language one should speak perfectly or not at all.
I don't think that's the reason. But I can't be sure. Will follow the thread...maybe someone will know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Umm...how is this thread related to Camino? Is this person a "Camino influencer"? (Sorry if this comment just reinforces my ignorance.)
I too do not know the reason this was included except that after visiting France many times and not being able to speak it there does seem to be a reluctance among some French people to speak any other language. I know they take great pride in their language. I have some French friends who have told me there are many French people who know other languages but are reluctant to speak them. After traveling extensively in Western Europe and walking the Camino from Le Puy and not meeting more than 5 French people who could speak English or Spanish, a few spoke German, it seems the French have less command of second and third languages than other European peoples. Just an observation not a fact. As an American it is appalling how few Americans can speak a second language.
It seems you are not familiar with Hersog. I may be wrong. Warner Herzegovina is a giant talent. He has directed some of the finest films of the last 50 years. He is also a master documentarian, writer and director of Opera. I have heard many interviews with him. He is an artist and genius. He also can be a critical social observer. My guess is, as this clip is obviously just a snippet of a larger interview, he is taking a not so subtle swipe at the French. He has never been a man who was afraid to speak exactly what he thinks. He has had some controversy throughout his career. Again these are just my own opinions about Herzog and the clip. If you don’t know his work and want to discover him for yourself you may be in for a treat. His film work is not for everyone that is for sure. Also I do believe he had walked long distances on his own “Caminos”. I cannot be precise about this I just think I remember this from A long ago interview I heard.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Over the past 30+ years my own experience with speaking French with French nationals has been positive and interesting.

A VERY long time ago, I took two high school French classes - and got a D in the first and an A in the second - from the same teacher. Between those 2 classes, I lived in French-speaking Switzerland for a short time.

Almost 30 years later, I learned more French in Mauritania as a Peace Corps Volunteer. About a year and a half after that, I continued my West African French lessons in Niger, again as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

On and off since then I have often visited France on vacations. Once I was invited to house-sit for a French family for 2 months in Paris. I always spoke French during those visits, and was always treated with interest and politeness. At some point in most conversations the French person would, very politely, ask where I learned French. In West Africa, I said, and apologized for my accent. They always contradicted me, and said my French was very good, and that they understood everything I was saying, and we continued our conversations.

Many times on the Camino Frances over several years, I have walked and had wonderful conversations with quite a few French people. Several ladies I met a few times on one camino would greet me effusively when we met occasionally - and perhaps they were making fun of my French, but I prefer to think they were just being enthusiastic and friendly.

Please, don’t judge. You don’t know for sure what’s behind another person’s behavior.

I don't take this as necessarily reflecting enmity toward the French. Seriously, I have heard the attitude from other people that French is a language which doesn't deserve to be mangled.

This has only a very marginal and personal relationship to the Camino - mostly that I adore speaking Spanish in Spain and feel embarrassed at the idea of starting in France because I have no French.

Oh, and there's one more marginal connection: in 1974 Herzog decided to walk from Munich to Paris to visit a friend. He walked in winter weather with no gear but an overcoat, mostly sleeping in barns, and he published a quirky little book about it, Of Walking in Ice. (Presumably he did speak French on the way.) On another occasion he took a 1,000 mile walk to propose to his wife. So he is a pilgrim at heart.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As an American it is appalling how few Americans can speak a second language.
As an American, I'd say we are the leaders of the mono-lingual pack. Don't know about those from Oz and NZ. During my own Peace Corps experience I learned a first foreign language and I also learned that it is possible, with just a bit of effort and the use of a phrasebook, to learn a small amount of almost any "easy" foreign language and that it frequently breaks the ice during my travels in Western Europe. "Easy" foreign languages for a native English speaker include the Romance languages - French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese.

Though very functional, pulling out a smart phone and using it as a translator depersonalizes our human to human contacts, imo. Better to start with a "pidgin" effort and then ask whether the other party happens to speak English. Again, my opinion.

Back to the subject of the op - Herzog the filmaker is a force to be reckoned with. Thanks for the link @Prentiss Riddle. I think I'll try to find (and watch) some of his less well-known works after the last beautiful days of autumn have run their course.

As an American, I'd say we are the leaders of the mono-lingual pack. Don't know about those from Oz and NZ. During my own Peace Corps experience I learned a first foreign language and I also learned that it is possible, with just a bit of effort and the use of a phrasebook, to learn a small amount of almost any "easy" foreign language and that it frequently breaks the ice during my travels in Western Europe. "Easy" foreign languages for a native English speaker include the Romance languages - French, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese.

Though very functional, pulling out a smart phone and using it as a translator depersonalizes our human to human contacts, imo. Better to start with a "pidgin" effort and then ask whether the other party happens to speak English. Again, my opinion.

Back to the subject of the op - Herzog the filmaker is a force to be reckoned with. Thanks for the link @Prentiss Riddle. I think I'll try to find (and watch) some of his less well-known works after the last beautiful days of autumn have run their course.
At least I can say my Spanish is functional and if I really concentrate and the Spanish speaking speaks slowly without a lot of slang I can hold a conversation. But I really have to concentrate.😃

At least I can say my Spanish is functional and if I really concentrate and the Spanish speaking speaks slowly without a lot of slang I can hold a conversation. But I really have to concentrate.😃
Me too, @It56ny, but pre-camino when I was in Spain, I made a phrase dictionary from French to Spanish. Due to their similarities, it was easier for me to pick up Spanish phrases in conversations. But its still not easy for me to put together a full sentence! :rolleyes:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back