• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For those who are afraid .....

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Amused to see there is a new App out called "Get Away From Me". Requires iOS 4.0 or later. Supposedly provides assistance when you are feeling threatened by sounding a whistle and shouting: "Help! I am being attacked!" and "Get away from me!" at your aggressor. It automatically text messages five people of your choice to alert them of your situation and location.

Have no idea if it is any good. English shouting I presume. Wonder if you get a choice of voice - like a car GPS? I'm almost inclined to spend the 99cents for the fun.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which 5 would you notify? people back home couldn't be very helpful. Sound like a waste of .99 to me. Maybe someone else has had to call emergency numbers and has other suggestions, but this is what I found online under European Commission. I recommend a whistle--which is probably louder than your phone and can be used as a distress call if you should become lost (unlikely).

"112 in Spain

The European emergency number 112 is not the only emergency number in Spain.
Alongside 112, the following emergency numbers are available:
  • 062 - civil guard,
  • 091 - police,
  • 061 - health emergencies
  • 080 - fire fighters
  • 092 - local police.
Disabled people can send a fax and an SMS to the national emergency numbers.

112 calls are answered on average within 5 seconds.

In addition to the national language(s), the calls can be answered in English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and German, depending on the call centres.

According to the latest E-communications household survey, 23% of Spanish know they can use 112 everywhere in the EU."

l

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're truly nervous. Carry a loud whistle and mace. They surely must sell mace in Spain. And keep your phone handy. I'm a fit 35 year old and I carry those when I'm in big cities. I also live in the states, so I carry a pistol instead at night. But I don't think firearms are permitted for travelers in Spain. Whistle and mace are plenty effective. And GOOD PEOPLE . There seems to be a lot of them on the Camino

If you're truly nervous. Carry a loud whistle and mace. They surely must sell mace in Spain. And keep your phone handy. I'm a fit 35 year old and I carry those when I'm in big cities. I also live in the states, so I carry a pistol instead at night. But I don't think firearms are permitted for travelers in Spain. Whistle and mace are plenty effective. And GOOD PEOPLE . There seems to be a lot of them on the Camino

YIKES!!!! Sorry MikeSass but this is scary stuff!
I agree with you though re- 'good people'. That is the one thing that will for ever stay with me after my pilgrimages!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And here my usual words of caution when it comes to mace/pepper spray. Make sure that the wind is NOT blowing in your direction, otherwise you just might knock yourself out. Plus, remember, that weapon that you don't know how to use properly and safely is very quickly a weapon in the hand of your opponent.
May I suggest that you consider instead going to a good course in weapon-less self defense if you are really so afraid? And, btw, during my ~10,000 Camino kilometres in total I never had to use anything more than harsh words to guard myself against unwanted attention and even that only very, very rarely.
Buen Camino! SY

Probably no need to buy a whistle. Most modern backpacks have one incorporated into the buckle of the sternum strap.

See this thread for more info. I agree with @SYates. Two caminos. One event that made me nervous - but may well have been just my imagination.

Probably no need to buy a whistle. Most modern backpacks have one incorporated into the buckle of the sternum strap.

See this thread for more info. I agree with @SYates. Two caminos. One event that made me nervous - but may well have been just my imagination.

You beat me to it. The Alps daypack I bought last month has the whistle built in. When we hike in the Smokies, we take along a whistle, a bell and a can of "bear spray". We've been teased about the bell - other hikers have said that it's like a dinner bell for bears. The whistles work a good distance - we even take them out when we're kayaking in the bay. I don't think our bear spray would travel, even in checked luggage, without attracting some official attention.

I would spend the .99 if it had an option to switch to Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice. Fun in bars and at parties.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yep bamaVol. No bear spray on planes. I dunno how many canisters I've given to park rangers and outdoor shops. Absolutely SYates, common sense and training are a must with any weapon. And as silly as it sounds even that small sternum strap whistle on your pack. They're small and not that loud. I was trying to signal someone across a river and they couldn't hear me, even when my lips weren't covering the whistle hole. Lol. The unfortunate thing about this whole thread is that this thread has to exist. The Camino is supposed to be an enjoyable spiritual journey. It's a shame that some bad people can cause everyone else feel uneasy, even if it's just a little.

YIKES!!!! Sorry MikeSass but this is scary stuff!
I agree with you though re- 'good people'. That is the one thing that will for ever stay with me after my pilgrimages!

I wasn't Trying to discount or diminish the severity of the question of ones safety. I was only offering my own experience with what I use for my own piece of mind. Take what you want from what I write (if any) and leave the rest

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok I'll own up, I was really scared of dogs in my last walk so carried a dog dazzer thingy, mainly in fear of the Anatolian sheepdogs which in the end I managed to avoid :) but I did encounter loads of stray dogs and at one stage a girl dog and her pups who just didn't like me! So out came the dazzer and... Nothing! I muttered to myself 'd*mn thing doesn't work' and waved my sticks madly whilst yelling at the dog to stay away from me....
Turns out in my utter panic I was pointing the dazzer at myself :rolleyes:
Come on, that made you laugh didn't it? :p

Ok I'll own up, I was really scared of dogs in my last walk so carried a dog dazzer thingy, mainly in fear of the Anatolian sheepdogs which in the end I managed to avoid :) but I did encounter loads of stray dogs and at one stage a girl dog and her pups who just didn't like me! So out came the dazzer and... Nothing! I muttered to myself 'd*mn thing doesn't work' and waved my sticks madly whilst yelling at the dog to stay away from me....
Those Anatolian shepards are no joke!!! I volunteer at our local animal shelter, I love dogs and am not afraid of MOST. Here at home I went toe to toe with one. It picked up my Great Dane and shook it like a toy. It was a bad scene. My Great Dane, my hound dog, and I all ended up in the hospital. While the Anatolian walked away. after a long court battle and another attack on a neighbors dog and wife, the giant dog was euthanized. I dunno why someone thought you could keep an animal like that in the suburbs. Those dogs are popular in the western US for wolf protection on ranches

I found the app in the Apple Store and started to invest 99 cents just to see what it was like, but then stopped myself. I am currently in a hotel and don't want to inadvertently send any alarms out. I think tho that when I return home, I'll play with it.

I'm certain I'd never use it on the Camino and can't imagine needing it. I also can't imagine an app scaring anyone away more than I could myself. Then there is the heart attack that the person called has, when they think I'm in danger and they have no idea what to do about it. Oh boy, sounds like great fun!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The CF appeared to me to be overall a very safe experience for women, though I don't blame anyone for being a bit concerned in any situation where so many people congregate. After all, people will be people. The good with the bad.
Pepper spray is good stuff. Used it as a copper. It does get a person's attention (we all got sprayed when training with the stuff). Don't spray in a headwind. Aim for the forehead, as there is a tendency to spray low, and if it does hit the forehead gravity will send it into the eyes. Don't know if legal or practical to carry on the Camino, though.
Most packs do have a whistle, but you can buy an emergency boat whistle that is larger and louder and can hang off the pack. My best advice is that if one finds oneself in a bad situation, yell and scream and blow on the whistle as loud as you can, and get out of the area ASAP, and even grab your phone and call for help or pretend to call for help. Bad guys hate unwanted attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Anatolian shepards are no joke!!! I volunteer at our local animal shelter, I love dogs and am not afraid of MOST. Here at home I went toe to toe with one. It picked up my Great Dane and shook it like a toy. It was a bad scene. My Great Dane, my hound dog, and I all ended up in the hospital. While the Anatolian walked away. after a long court battle and another attack on a neighbors dog and wife, the giant dog was euthanized. I dunno why someone thought you could keep an animal like that in the suburbs. Those dogs are popular in the western US for wolf protection on ranches

Omg MikeSass! I am so sorry to hear this. How tragic. I 'm glad you and your dog were ok?(ish)
These are dogs (i've read!) who will fiercely defend their flocks, without shepherds, hence their use in the wilderness, where they belong. Doing their job without human help and I am very admirative, if petrified, of course, since I thought I was going to cross their path.
They sure have no place in the suburbs!

The CF appeared to me to be overall a very safe experience for women, though I don't blame anyone for being a bit concerned in any situation where so many people congregate. After all, people will be people. The good with the bad.
Pepper spray is good stuff. Used it as a copper. It does get a person's attention (we all got sprayed when training with the stuff). Don't spray in a headwind. Aim for the forehead, as there is a tendency to spray low, and if it does hit the forehead gravity will send it into the eyes. Don't know if legal or practical to carry on the Camino, though.
Most packs do have a whistle, but you can buy an emergency boat whistle that is larger and louder and can hang off the pack. My best advice is that if one finds oneself in a bad situation, yell and scream and blow on the whistle as loud as you can, and get out of the area ASAP, and even grab your phone and call for help or pretend to call for help. Bad guys hate unwanted attention.

I never thought I was in any more danger on the Camino than say walking in Paris or London... Much safer if anything. My father always advocated the use of pepper spray or mace to me and my sister, if we were coming home late. I don't think I could be trusted with it !:eek:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That may have been the breed of dog I encountered outside of Puenta la Reina on my first Camino. I sat on the edge of the trail, and took a break while a shepard went by with his flock of sheep. He had some smaller dogs moving the sheep along, but bringing up the rear was an immense dog which must have weighed 60-70 kilos. I didn't give him much thought as he passed, but suddenly he took a quick right turn and was upon me. I was quite startled until he began licking my face and playing with me like an immense puppy. He was very strong and intimidating, but loveable. He plopped down next to me and shared some of my bocadillo while the herd and the other dogs went out of sight. A few minutes later a couple of the smaller dogs returned and barked at him at which time he lumbered off. He is behind the flock in this photo.
El Camino day 9 012.jpg

I can't tell from the photo Mark Lee. But I sure get from that experience that what we need to fear is fear itself.
On my return, I tried contacting dog handlers, to get rid of my 'fear' and they said, no, you don't have a problem, you should fear those dogs, that's what they're for....
Ah well.

That may have been the breed of dog I encountered outside of Puenta la Reina on my first Camino. I sat on the edge of the trail, and took a break while a shepard went by with his flock of sheep. He had some smaller dogs moving the sheep along, but bringing up the rear was an immense dog which must have weighed 60-70 kilos. I didn't give him much thought as he passed, but suddenly he took a quick right turn and was upon me. I was quite startled until he began licking my face and playing with me like an immense puppy. He was very strong and intimidating, but loveable. He plopped down next to me and shared some of my bocadillo while the herd and the other dogs went out of sight. A few minutes later a couple of the smaller dogs returned and barked at him at which time he lumbered off. He is behind the flock in this photo.
View attachment 16937
Yep. That's one Mark Lee. Well trained and well excercized those dogs make good family dogs (so I hear). Let them do what they're bred for. That one probably thinks it's a sheep, it was probably raised from a pup with the herd. But instinct comes out when a threat appears.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yep. That's one Mark Lee. Well trained and well excercized those dogs make good family dogs (so I hear). Let them do what they're bred for. That one probably thinks it's a sheep, it was probably raised from a pup with the herd. But instinct comes out when a threat appears.
It seemed he didn't want to go back to work and wanted to stay there with myself and a few other peregrinos that had stopped. Content to lie in the shade, bum pieces of sandwiches and be given attention, ha ha.

those big herd guards are Leonese Mastiffs, or "mastines" in Castellano. They take their work seriously, but I have never heard of them attacking anyone without provocation... unless you're counting dogs. Another good reason to leave your pet at home when you walk the camino!
Our dog Bella is a Mastin Leonesa. A Canadian pilgrim found her wandering in the fields, and brought her to us in her arms. (Bella was still a pup then. Ain't nobody picking her up now!) P1030403.JPG

Would this be the same breed as well? He was in Foncebadon. Belonged to the hospitalero/bartender at the albergue. He was quite big, but gentle and had some years behind him. He was soaking up the warmth of the asphalt that late afternoon as the sun was setting.
Camino again 033.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Not concerned. Walk with love in your heart <3 I'd be far more concerned on wilderness trails than on something like the Camino.

The Leonese mastiffs are close cousins to the anatolian. The anatolian comes from turkey. All part of the mastiff family

I was impressed by the size and the behavior of these leonese mastiffs. They completely ignored us as we walked through a few flocks of sheep. I own border collies and have owned german shepherds and a team of alaskan huskies, and know that that level of ignoring reflects a lot of training. -- I was impressed at their behavior and of the behavior of the many german shepherds and other dogs I saw. They were off leash and completely ignoring peregrinos. We attempted to say hello to a german shepherd puppy, but the owners politely asked us to leave to dog alone. My guess is that living along the camino necessitates having very very well socialized dogs, or the dogs are fenced in or put down.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 16937
Great photo, Mark!

A well socialized and trained mastiff makes a wonderful pet. A friend of mine has them and they are funny friendly animals. But I have also seen poorly trained ones who are vicious nasty animals just like their owners, and I fear for anyone walking by the day those dogs get out of the yard.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back