• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For those who see the Camino as part of their faith journey ...

David Manzo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese (2018)
A few months before I began the Camino Portugese, I posted the following: "I know not everyone does the Camino for reasons of faith, yet for those who are on a faith journey, how do you prepare for the Camino?" I got great advice from so many on this forum. Thank you!

Recently I walked with one friend of 40 years from Porto to SdC. The first day we walked along the water from Porto to Villa do Conte and then on nine more walking days we were on the Central Route.

Here are a few of my reflections on the spiritual side of the Camino:

1) I disconnected from social media and email for 15 days. Deleted Facebook, Instagram and Twitter from my iPhone. I did not look at emails for 15 days (900 emails when I returned). Family members or key people at work could find me in an emergency.

Disconnecting help me connect!

2.) Each day, once we got going, maybe 30 to 45 minutes into our walk, we took an hour of silence.

Silence helped me to listen better.

3.) Each day we had a theme. Before we left each morning, one of us would offer a short spiritual reading and then a theme for the day.

Here are the themes we used:

Day 1 - Thanksgiving
Day 2 - Rememberance
Day 3 - Joy
Day 4 - Seeking God/God Seeking Us
Day 5 - You Know Me (Psalm 139)
Day 6 - Openness
Day 7 - Go with God
Day 8 - Attitude of Hopefulness
Day 9 - The Way/"I'm Just Coming Lord" (St Alphonsus Rodriguez, S.J)
Day 10 - Thankful For All The People Who Made The Camino Possible For Us and "All will be well and all will be well and in all matters all will be well." (Julian of Norwich)

What a joy to think about all those who have and continued to shape my life and to remember and thank them!

4.) Prior to leaving Boston, my friend Hughie said to me, "Let the Camino happen." Although it may sound like each day was rigidly proscribed, they were far from that. The Camino happens.

This was surely a central lesson along the Camino.

5.) The concept of God's love seeking us was a reoccurring theme for me and the Thomas Merton quote from New Seeds of Contemplation was especially powerful - "We must learn to realize that the love of God seeks us in every situation and seeks the good in us."

On our 4th walking day we climbed, Alto Portela Grande, and the mantra "He seeks the good in us," propelled me up that hill.

6.) Even though I "thought" I had packed lightly, I soon learned that there were items that I really did not need. And in all parts of my life, the Camino is a metaphor ...

What are the things in life that we really don't need to carry?

7.) The spirit was alive in the people we met, from the couple who was hiking with their 6 month old daughter, to the 72 year old who stopped for his morning glass of wine, to the father and son I saw along "The Way" and then watched them hug in SdC, to the man who yelled in Portuguese to us, “10 days to Santiago.”

The pilgrimage continues ....

Finally thank you @Rebekah Scott , @pjacobi , @Kitsambler , @VNwalking , @nycwalking , @kelleymac , @kirkie , @MichelleElynHogan , @Charles Zammit , @Robo , @Tia Valeria @natefaith , @TaijiPilgrim , @George Packer , @Paladina , @mcopeland , @shefollowsshells , @Minta , @Phil Smith , @WayWalker , @TerryB , @Alasdair Kay , and @Vivianne Flintoff for your powerful messages and insights, they were amazing and helpful. I purchased some of the books you suggested. I found Sally Welch's tiny book, "Making a Pilgrimage," especially meaningful.

Here's a short video if you'd like to see our journey -

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dave,

Pat and I are so happy to hear you had an awesome Camino experience! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and video. We are hoping to embark on a third Camino in 2019, your reflection whets our desire to experience another.
Jim & Pat McCarthy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello David, thank you for sharing this. I noticed from your excellent and heartwarming photographs that you also attended the Pilgrim Mass in Barcelos. The warmth extended to all pilgrims there when I attended was so uplifting, it's one of my most poignant memories of the walk from Porto to SdC.

Thank you David for your reflections. This is my first post on the forum - the experienced pilgrimages have seemed a bit daunting to me as I’m walking a simple pilgrimage in September. I, too am walking with a friend of forty years. She was very ill a couple of years ago and we’ve done some holidays together that have made us be thankful for the life we have with family and friends and experiences. So we’ve had a road trip in Australia, (our homeland) , made sure we saw Van Morrison in Newcastle, Northern Ireland and this year we walk the Camino Ingles from A Coruna. It’s just 75km and we’re not carrying our backpacks as it would be too difficult but we will reflect, rejoice, and enjoy wine along the way. Your reflections helped me to realise that this walk is about our friendship and the joy of living and that it doesn’t need to be compared to anyone else’s pilgrimage. At the end we’re joining another friend and doing a girls’ road trip in France, so let’s hope our simple Camino gives us some credit with St James to give us a safe journey.
Loved your video.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Dave,

Pat and I are so happy to hear you had an awesome Camino experience! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and video. We are hoping to embark on a third Camino in 2019, your reflection whets our desire to experience another.
Jim & Pat McCarthy

Jim and Pat, thanks for all the encouragement before we left. I hope to see you soon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So good to read about your pilgrimage @David Manzo . We too have a shell at our front door so I like your photo of that too.
Our final pilgrimage we attended the English Mass in the Cathedral and the theme of the sermon was that although our pilgrimage to Santiago had ended our ongoing walk through life was a continuing pilgrimage so we are still pilgrims.
May all you learnt go with you as you too continue your pilgrimage through life.

Great post. In this forum you will come across, "You must do your own Camino" but your post also confirms for me that we can share so much as well and that, in particular, we can share in our Camino experiences "That the love of God seeks us in every situation and seeks the good in us." Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Loved your little video, took me back. Pimientos de Padrón! The least of it. We also themed each day of the CF and also of the Portugués. Your shell on the door is a great reminder... so, daily buen camino to you.

I had not known of Pimientos de Padron before the Camino. What a treat to eat them, especially IN Padron!!!! Thanks for the very kind words.

So good to read about your pilgrimage @David Manzo . We too have a shell at our front door so I like your photo of that too.
Our final pilgrimage we attended the English Mass in the Cathedral and the theme of the sermon was that although our pilgrimage to Santiago had ended our ongoing walk through life was a continuing pilgrimage so we are still pilgrims.
May all you learnt go with you as you too continue your pilgrimage through life.

Thanks for the kind words. The English Mass in SdC was so warm and meaningful. For the Offertory prayers we each had the opportunity to light a votive candle and name publicly or pray privately for our special intentions and then place the lite candle at the foot of the alter. So special!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the sharing David. It's very deep. I am planning my first Camino next early September and the closer I get, the more I feel afraid, nervous and overthinking lately with the preparation and everything. Your reflection somehow reminds me to be focus on what is important and just relax. Thanks!!

Thanks for the kind words. I think it’s great to prepare emotionally, spiritually and physically. That said the Camino will happen. It will be your Camino. Wishing you the best. Buen Camino

€46,-
Hi David,
Your words and experience are very inspiring. I feel called to do the pilgrimage and yet a couple of months I had not even heard of the camino. I cannot wait to get started.
Many blessings to you and your camino companion.

@David Manzo, your post puts the true meaning of the Camino is such a beautiful perspective. It's all too easy to get caught up in the minutia of which shoes, how many socks, what size pack. And forget that the Camino is a pilgrimage. Thanks for your post-Camino reflections.

I remember your first post well. I was about to leave for the Camino myself and followed a number of the suggestions for both before and during. Now here's a little story.

One of the recommendations was for a book called The Ascent to Santiago, by Ronald K. Ottend. The format is very similar to your Step 3 above, with a different theme for reflection each day. It was inspired by the themes of Psalms 120-134 in the Bible. Known as the Psalms of Ascent, these were sung and prayed by the ancient Hebrews on their pilgrimages to the temple in Jerusalem.

I bought the book, and happened to mention it to my Bible study instructor when I was explaining why I wasn't going to be around the next 6 weeks. Much to my surprise, at the end of class, she announced what I was doing, asked me to say a few words. And then she assigned the group to read the Psalms of Ascent for the next week, "so we can all be in communion with Jean."

I was so surprised and touched. And it was so reassuring that first morning, when I stepped out onto the Camino not knowing where I would end the day or how it would all turn out, to know of the support of my friends back home.

Since my return, they all want to hear about the Camino and my experiences. It turns out my journey was a bit of a Where's Waldo each session at the end of class, as those not following me on Facebook wanted to know where Jean was this week.

And I've had a number of them mention the book and the Psalms and how they felt they were sharing the journey spiritually with me because of that and how enriching it was for them personally.

We never know, do we? A simple question and a simple answer. And they end up enriching people far beyond the readers of this thread or this forum.

Ultreia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@David Manzo, your post puts the true meaning of the Camino is such a beautiful perspective. It's all too easy to get caught up in the minutia of which shoes, how many socks, what size pack. And forget that the Camino is a pilgrimage. Thanks for your post-Camino reflections.

I remember your first post well. I was about to leave for the Camino myself and followed a number of the suggestions for both before and during. Now here's a little story.

One of the recommendations was for a book called The Ascent to Santiago, by Ronald K. Ottend. The format is very similar to your Step 3 above, with a different theme for reflection each day. It was inspired by the themes of Psalms 120-134 in the Bible. Known as the Psalms of Ascent, these were sung and prayed by the ancient Hebrews on their pilgrimages to the temple in Jerusalem.

I bought the book, and happened to mention it to my Bible study instructor when I was explaining why I wasn't going to be around the next 6 weeks. Much to my surprise, at the end of class, she announced what I was doing, asked me to say a few words. And then she assigned the group to read the Psalms of Ascent for the next week, "so we can all be in communion with Jean."

I was so surprised and touched. And it was so reassuring that first morning, when I stepped out onto the Camino not knowing where I would end the day or how it would all turn out, to know of the support of my friends back home.

Since my return, they all want to hear about the Camino and my experiences. It turns out my journey was a bit of a Where's Waldo each session at the end of class, as those not following me on Facebook wanted to know where Jean was this week.

And I've had a number of them mention the book and the Psalms and how they felt they were sharing the journey spiritually with me because of that and how enriching it was for them personally.

We never know, do we? A simple question and a simple answer. And they end up enriching people far beyond the readers of this thread or this forum.

Ultreia.

Thank you Ultreia! Your posting means a great deal to me. I agree, we never know!!!! I love that folks at home were still with you on the Camino. I truly felt that way too. It was very special to feel their presence, knowing that they were with me and at the same time feel my thankfulness for their love, prayers and support.

Being relatively new to the forum, and preparing for our first Camino to begin in about 7 weeks, I am grateful to find your thread and postings. For me the Camino is a spiritual journey and an opportunity to deepen my relationship with the divine, to let the Camino unfold and trust in God's providence. When I start to get rattled about all the details, I have to come back to this. Your post is a welcome reminder. Having done my due diligence in preparation, I can surrender and let the journey unfold.

Ultreia.
Thanks for the tip. I received my copy of Ascent to Santiago. Love the format and the reflections! Very kind of you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A few months before I began the Camino Portugese, I posted the following: "I know not everyone does the Camino for reasons of faith, yet for those who are on a faith journey, how do you prepare for the Camino?" I got great advice from so many on this forum. Thank you!

Recently I walked with one friend of 40 years from Porto to SdC. The first day we walked along the water from Porto to Villa do Conte and then on nine more walking days we were on the Central Route.

1) I disconnected from social media and email for 15 days. Deleted Facebook, Instagram and Twitter from my iPhone. I did not look at emails for 15 days (900 emails when I returned). Family members or key people at work could find me in an emergency.

2.) Each day, once we got going, maybe 30 to 45 minutes into our walk, we took an hour of silence.

3.) Each day we had a theme. Before we left each morning, one of us would offer a short spiritual reading and then a theme for the day.

Day 1 - Thanksgiving
Day 2 - Rememberance
Day 3 - Joy
Day 6 - Openness
Day 7 - Go with God
Day 10 - Thankful For All The People Who Made The Camino Possible For Us and "All will be well and all will be well and in all matters all will be well." (Julian of Norwich)

What a joy to think about all those who have and continued to shape my life and to remember and thank them!

4.) Prior to leaving Boston, my friend Hughie said to me, "Let the Camino happen." Although it may sound like each day was rigidly proscribed, they were far from that. The Camino happens.

5.) The concept of God's love seeking us was a reoccurring theme for me and the Thomas Merton quote from New Seeds of Contemplation was especially powerful - "We must learn to realize that the love of God seeks us in every situation and seeks the good in us."

On our 4th walking day we climbed, Alto Portela Grande, and the mantra "He seeks the good in us," propelled me up that hill.

6.) Even though I "thought" I had packed lightly, I soon learned that there were items that I really did not need. And in all parts of my life, the Camino is a metaphor ...

7.) The spirit was alive in the people we met, from the couple who was hiking with their 6 month old daughter, to the 72 year old who stopped for his morning glass of wine, to the father and son I saw along "The Way" and then watched them hug in SdC, to the man who yelled in Portuguese to us, “10 days to Santiago.”

Finally thank you @Rebekah Scott , @pjacobi , @Kitsambler , @VNwalking , @nycwalking , @kelleymac , @kirkie , @MichelleElynHogan , @Charles Zammit , @Robo , @Tia Valeria @natefaith , @TaijiPilgrim , @George Packer , @Paladina , @mcopeland , @shefollowsshells , @Minta , @Phil Smith , @WayWalker , @TerryB , @Alasdair Kay , and @Vivianne Flintoff for your powerful messages and insights, they were amazing and helpful. I purchased some of the books you suggested. I found Sally Welch's tiny book, "Making a Pilgrimage," especially meaningful.

David, thank you for sharing. Like yours, my Camino (C Portugues) was a pilgrimage in every sense of the word. Part of my preparation - besides the logistics - was my own spiritual preparation. I went to Confession and Mass and received a pilgrim’s blessing from a priest friend. I traveled solo and made it a point to start every morning with prayer and to pray and reflect along the way. I had a laundry list of people, whose prayer intentions I carried with me. I stopped at numerous roadside shrines, chapels and crosses to pray for their intentions. I also had plenty of time for silent reflection. I can’t tell you how many times I prayed the rosary. By the time I reached the cathedral in Santiago and climbed the steps behind the High Altar and descended to the crypt to pray at the tomb of St James, I was just overcome. I came back from the Camino, if not truly changed, but at the very least came back with a different perspective. Iplan to walk the Camino again; a hybrid of the Frances-Salvador-Primitivo with my brother and friends and it promises to be another great spiritual pilgrimage opportunity in the holy year of 2021.

€46,-
Thanks for the tip. I received my copy of Ascent to Santiago. Love the format and the reflections! Very kind of you.

Always glad to pay forward with something that helped me, David. I'll have to check who originally suggested the book, but you were the one who started the thread where it was mentioned! So I guess there a certain sense of completion here, lol. Anyway, that original thread had so many good ideas, and now you've added even more from personal experience.

Being relatively new to the forum, and preparing for our first Camino to begin in about 7 weeks, I am grateful to find your thread and postings. For me the Camino is a spiritual journey and an opportunity to deepen my relationship with the divine, to let the Camino unfold and trust in God's providence. When I start to get rattled about all the details, I have to come back to this. Your post is a welcome reminder. Having done my due diligence in preparation, I can surrender and let the journey unfold.
Beautiful

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Day 1 - Thanksgiving
Day 2 - Rememberance
Day 3 - Joy
Day 6 - Openness
Day 7 - Go with God

One of the best parts of doing a Camino was disconnecting completely from the Internet. It was heaven!

Hi David,
I found your plan and reflections to be food for the soul. I am a great fan of Merton. In addition, I often use some of the poetry of John of the Cross on the Camino.
Thank you for sharing your gifts and blessings from your camino. Surely your experience will continue to bear fruit in many a heart.

Thank you for this very beautiful post, David - and for sharing the gifts of your camino with the rest of us.
I really appreciate how you made a strong 'container' of intentional reflections for your inner journey each day, and then just let the camino happen...both at the same time. Beautiful.
Buen onward camino to you, as the deeper and deeper layers of this journey reveal themselves.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi David,
I found your plan and reflections to be food for the soul. I am a great fan of Merton. In addition, I often use some of the poetry of John of the Cross on the Camino.
Thank you for sharing your gifts and blessings from your camino. Surely your experience will continue to bear fruit in many a heart.
Thanks for the VERY kind words.

Thank you for this very beautiful post, David - and for sharing the gifts of your camino with the rest of us.
I really appreciate how you made a strong 'container' of intentional reflections for your inner journey each day, and then just let the camino happen...both at the same time. Beautiful.
Buen onward camino to you, as the deeper and deeper layers of this journey reveal themselves.
Thank you. I'm pleased that you appreciated my reflection. Such a special experience. I go back to it each day.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back