• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For those who walked in tennis shoes or trail runners...

november_moon

Veteran Member
I am interested in the experiences of people who walked in tennis shoes/sneakers or trail runners instead of hiking boots or hiking shoes. How did it work out for you? Did you have enough support for the trail portions? Were the soles sturdy enough? How did it go with the extra weight of a pack?

I wore hiking shoes (Merrils) last time around and it was sometimes tough going on the hard surfaces - bottoms of my feet took a serious pounding. I replaced my insoles, which did help, but didn't completely solve the problem. I am planning my next Camino (May 2016) and I am considering walking in tennis shoes or trail runners this time around. I walk a lot at home in my tennis shoes and my feet love them (I wear Asics).

I'm going to experiment with my tennis shoes while wearing my pack and see how that goes - also on some trails - I am just interested in other people's experiences too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At home I love walking in trail runners. I found a pair of Saucony Peregrines that my feet love and these days my feet don't love many shoes. In the 12 months before my September camino I walked 2000 miles all most all of which was on streets or sidewalks. I had about 100-150 miles on my new shoes when I left. After a few days on the Camino Francés from SJPdP I started getting blisters on my left foot which never gives me problems. The bottom of my feet felt bruised though they didn't look like it. I walked a couple short days then took two days off for my feet to heal. I discovered that I had worn through the insole. The outside of the shoe looked good but the insole was worn through. I bought new trail runners in León but the bottom of my feet never felt great again though all visible signs had healed. Fully packed wearing my hiking clothes and shoes and backpack on my back I am almost 150 lbs. I was surprised I did not do better with this type of shoe. I do have lightweight and heavyweight boots for backpacking but thought they would be too much. I still feel that way. I did roll my ankle a few times and walked with poles most of the time. I feel like the trail runners had enough support and I liked them in the cold/wind/rain/heat but those cobblestone roads really did a number on the soles of my feet. I ended up walking the Francés, Inglés, and Finisterre/Muxia for an actual 780 miles including sightseeing.

Good luck with your decision. I really don't know what shoes I would wear should I do this again.

Mike

Each year, I walk in New Balance trail runners and LOVE them!

This year I bought a pair of NB 1340 version 2. They are wide and deep in the toe and narrow in the heel and have a very thick and sturdy but flexible sole.

My only complaint with NB is they're beginning to use a lining made in Vietnam that doesn't hold up as well.

I buy these shoes 1-1.5 sizes larger than normal and exchange the inner sole with a Motion Control insert, also by NB.

I'm very happy with my shoes! They have worked on many Caminos!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too wear trail runners (Merrell Trail Glove 1) as an everyday walking shoe and for the Camino Norte - they are very light but do have a proper Vibram soles - they were fine on all surfaces apart from occasional step on small stones

My husband and I worn New Balance 1210's on the French Route to Leon and then the Primitivo 2014, and Le Puy to Pamplona 2015, around 500 miles each walk...we did have new shoes each time as they are very worn out after 500 miles. We also took new insoles to replace half way through. We do fine and have no blisters. We wear merino wool socks too. No liners, just a pair of socks.

The only time I have had trouble walking is when I had a pair of sandals that were ever-so-slightly too tight. That meant a blister. Other than that I have done many miles on trails wearing Keens sandals or very light hiking shoes (not boots) sans problems.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've walked in leather boots, Goretex boots, all kinds of stupid old boots - then on my longest Camino I took my aching feet into a sports shop and bought some trail runners, just because they were cheap and didn't need breaking in. They weren't perfect, but I immediately appreciated the lightness. They were waterproof, though, so I got blisters. Since then I've gone for non-waterproof trail runners and wouldn't go back to boots unless I'm going to be ridge walking. No problems at all with ankle-turning, and though you can feel the stony trails more keenly, the cushioning means it's not uncomfortable

I've worn Saucony running shoes from Oloron to Pamplona because of a pre existing sore toe, North Face Hedgehogs from Pamplona to Burgos and Salomon boots from Leon to Santiago. They were all fine - no blisters and a fair level of comfort.I wore Merrells of various types before that and they all hurt the balls of my feet after a couple of days walking.

You make a decision with Goretex. If you don't mind wet feet now and again and don't get blisters from wet socks then don't bother with it but in my experience on quite a few long walks, Goretex works well and doesn't cause blisters. Whether you need it on the Camino is entirely down to the weather. When I was paddling out of Villafranca del Bierzo a month ago, I was glad I had it but you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I am interested in the experiences of people who walked in tennis shoes/sneakers or trail runners instead of hiking boots or hiking shoes. How did it work out for you? Did you have enough support for the trail portions? Were the soles sturdy enough? How did it go with the extra weight of a pack?

I wore hiking shoes (Merrils) last time around and it was sometimes tough going on the hard surfaces - bottoms of my feet took a serious pounding. I replaced my insoles, which did help, but didn't completely solve the problem. I am planning my next Camino (May 2016) and I am considering walking in tennis shoes or trail runners this time around. I walk a lot at home in my tennis shoes and my feet love them (I wear Asics).

I'm going to experiment with my tennis shoes while wearing my pack and see how that goes - also on some trails - I am just interested in other people's experiences too.

Hi I wore my Mizunos and loved them! They are running shoes, my only issue was rain last few days in Galicia next time would use goretex runners! Buen Camimo!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I walked in New Balance 1545 running shoes with green superfeet, the cushioning was sacked out by Leon, I now have New Balance 790v trail shoes with SOLE insoles and feel these hold up better than the running shoes.

I have walked two Stages of Camino, Saint Jean to Pamplona & Pamplona to Logrona in my Runners Asic's, have never had any issue, I'm going back to walk Logrona to Burgos on Saturday & wearing runners again! Best of luck!

For years I wore Asics lightweight runners with no problems. They were great on hard surfaces (such as roads) because they had very thick (but light) cushioning soles. I only stopped wearing them because the upper mesh was changed to a much more enclosed shoe which caused heat build-up.
I now love my Ecco Off-Road sandals. This year they took me happily over the Norte from Irun to Santiago (840km) and a large part of the Frances from Logroño to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm on the Camino at present and have sent my trusty old Salomon walking boots home, in favour of some Salomon trail runners I bought in Logrono.

At home I have always walked in boots, mine are a couple of years old and well worn in, but on the Camino I found the ankle support too rigid and I believe they exacerbated a problem in my Achilles tendon.

The trail runners, on the other hand, have been fantastic thus far and all ankle issues have left me. Everybody has individual needs, but if I were to walk again I would bring only the trail runners, without hesitation.

Best of luck.

Lourdes to Sahagun

Columbia trek lite not waterproof extra light Great!!!

Ecco Sandals closed toe Brilliant!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Okay, guys, why doesn't anyone ever mention all the rocks you have to walk on on the camino? Big ones, jagged ones, uneven ones, smooth ones!!! If I had known I'd never had brought my trail runners. I think there are some lighter boots around and I would have brought those.

I have walked close to 300 km on via de la plata and will finish up with about the same on CF and Finisterre. I'm making due with New balance pair I was given on the camino after I mistakenly tried to wear sturdier pair (that I bought in a Decathlon) without breaking them in first.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
From ricitosdeplata's reply above, it obviously is important as to which camino you are talking about...

I did the CF in Sept 2014, wearing trainers all the way and was very happy with them. They were about 1/2 a size too big - no half sizes when you buy cheapo make from Sports Direct - but I was happy with this in case my feet were to swell on the journey. I use 'orthoheel' sport insoles which are nicely padded, and I put these on top of the minimal insole in the trainer; I also put in a trimmed insole from my Merrill moabs, trimmed to just cover the front half of the footbed. My plan had been to remove the trimmed insoles had my feet swollen, but they did not. With 2 layers of insole under my toes, I had a very comfy journey.
I might add that I had lovely weather. A couple of days with some drizzle, and 2 short downpours, both of which I had plenty of warning to take shelter. No need for Goretex thankfully.

This year I bought a pair of NB 1340 version 2. They are wide and deep in the toe and narrow in the heel and have a very thick and sturdy but flexible sole.

My only complaint with NB is they're beginning to use a lining made in Vietnam that doesn't hold up as well.

I buy these shoes 1-1.5 sizes larger than normal and exchange the inner sole with a Motion Control insert, also by NB.

I am wondering your weight w/ pack and height. i am considering lighter shoes as well

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
thanks...just trying to get an idea of where I should be pack weight wise for my size.
have u ever carried a tent? my partner and i are concerned about lodging..not wanting to push so hard under the stress of worrying about a place to sleep at night. we will be walking oct/nov time. thank you!

When I did my first Camino I wore hiking shoes. I did not allow for swelling of my feet. It really messed up my feet. After walking 50 miles I was forced to buy running shoes in a small Spanish town. They were very inexpensive. For the balance of the Camino my feet felt every embedded rock on the road, large and small. My feet were not the same for a month after I got home.
Next August 2016, I am planning my second Camino and I want shoes with good chusion under the soles of my feet. Any suggestions other than what has already been mentioned?

Thanks for all the input. I walked and hiked a lot before my first Camino, and everything was all good. My boots were great on all the hikes, with my pack - no problems at all. But when I got to the Camino (Frances), my feet suffered - and it was the combo of hard surfaces and my boots - the bottoms definitely felt bruised, as Mike mentioned. All the hiking I had done with my boots was on trails, many in redwood forests, which usually have plenty of cushiony duff on the ground. And my pavement walking was done around town and on paved paths - with my tennis shoes. I was just not prepared for the pounding my feet took in my boots with all the paved surfaces.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Regarding Jane's question about a tent:

have u ever carried a tent? my partner and i are concerned about lodging..not wanting to push so hard under the stress of worrying about a place to sleep at night

We did not carry a tent. Lodging wasn't a problem for us, but if it had been, our plan was to seek out a hotel, casa rural, or some alternate lodging if the alberques were full. We were not opposed to taking a taxi off-route, or even forward if needed to find available lodging. This will be our plan next time too. But, we have the financial flexibility to do that if we need to. There are others who don't have that flexibility and really need to stay in alberques to stick to their budgets - and there are also purists who balk at the thought of using a taxi - we aren't purists :cool: So some people do bring tents. And there are some people who just like tent camping - when they need solitude and aren't feeling the communal nature of the alberques, they can camp out and get some space. When I needed solitude, I booked a hotel room - because then my solitude came with a long hot shower and clean sheets :) Its a different approach.

On my first camino i kicked my boots to the curbs of Astorga and traded them in for a pair of brandnew running shoes. This was like going from hell to heaven.

Following camino(s) i walked in lightweight and very flexible trailrunners. Even better than normal running shoes.

@Anniesantiago are you sure your shoes are real trailrunners? By the looks of your sole they look like normal running shoes. Not that it is of any importants of course :)

Last edited:
thanks...just trying to get an idea of where I should be pack weight wise for my size.
have u ever carried a tent? my partner and i are concerned about lodging..not wanting to push so hard under the stress of worrying about a place to sleep at night. we will be walking oct/nov time. thank you!

You shouldn't need a tent because the Camino is lined with lodging and in October/November you might find it rather cold camping in some sections. The one thing you might have to factor in is places being closed so phoning ahead at least a day in advance might be necessary. October, I assume, would cause fewer problems.

I wouldn't carry more than seven kilos if I could avoid it and I fancy myself as fairly fit for a wrinkly. My wife carries about five or six. Pack your bag, carry it for ten miles and then chuck out what you really don't need. I saved a pound by swapping a worthy history book for a novel and I hardly read that.

This is in reply to janesplace.

Further to my previous post here, I should say I've used the non-waterproof trail runners on all kinds of trails, in all conditions - wading through freezing puddles, climbing over boulders, trekking up and down stony forest tracks etc. They have great grip but may need replacing sooner than sturdier boots with harder soles. That said, I've had hundreds of miles out of them and they're still great.

On the CF, I recall carrying my heavy boots more often than wearing them. With so much road walking, regular running shoes might actually be better on some sections. I certainly wish I'd worn my Asics regular runners when I walked through Kent and on through northern France on roads and canal paths, after four weeks of which the soles of my Merrels were like pancakes (though probably not as delicious)

I wore Asics trail shoes for two very hot, dry summer caminos. They gave good ventilation so minimal blisters. The bottoms of my feet always get really painful by about day 3 or 4 through the end of the first week and then they just give up and accept what I'm doing to them! I do wear green Superfeet insoles which helps with the stones and use two poles so, thank God, twisted ankles weren't a problem even through I have one with stretched tendons that's a little lose. Arnica or neurofen cream on the feet before going to bed helps a bit if they're achy. Good luck!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I sometimes carry a lightweight diamond screen tent that sets up using my walking poles.

On my first camino i kicked my boots to the curbs of Astorga and traded them in for a pair of brandnew running shoes. This was like going from hell to heaven.

Following camino(s) i walked in lightweight and very flexible trailrunners. Even better than normal running shoes.

@Anniesantiago are you sure your shoes are real trailrunners? By the looks of your sole they look like normal running shoes. Not that it is of any importants of course :)

No, I'm not sure ::laughing:: but the guy at NB called them trail runners.

I always replace the inner liner of the trail (runner) shoes with an insert called Motion Control by New Balance.
It is VERY padded and helps protect the bottom of my feet, which have never felt like they took any pounding.
The insert also helps keep the foot in a position to save it from "rolling" the ankle.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my camino I took Hoka One One trail running shoes. They were awesome. They have a very thick sole, so have tons of cushioning for long days. They were pretty comfortable and allowed me multiple consecutive 20 mile days with little problems. Worn in conjunction with merino socks, I only got a blister one day... and that was because i was wearing an extra padded hiking sock. Highly recommended.

I only use hiking boots so have no personal experience. Observations however might be useful. I met an asian pilgrim on the Spanish side of the border in the Pyrenees walking in multi coloured trainers. He was hopping along from one dry patch to another trying to avoid the snow and mud. At one bad point that I could just plough on through, he had to try climbing up the slope to get around it. However, he was having so much difficulty getting back to the trail that I had to go partially up to help him down. He should have worn boots. In Ponferrada I met a young German pilgrim who asked me if I knew where he could buy new trainers. The soles were coming off and he was looking to buy his third pair of his camino. They were designed for jogging, not for walking 800km. Hope that helps

My initial concern was "will they dry" you have heard "It rains in Spain" . The shoes I wore on the French Camino were Lana Kai's, wonderful as per drying . Like Mike Savage I bruised my foot on a sharp rock and limped for 400 miles after I made a hard insole. My wife and I have since(Portugues and English Caminos) worn "Hokas" shoes that are light weight super cushioned and are ok at drying. They now have a Goretex model, which I haven't tried. I would not wear a boot although we now have light weight gaiters (which we haven't had to use)...
Buen Camino..... Willy, Utah, USA

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am training in a pair of Altra Lone Pine trail runners. Altra is a new company from Utah, USA. The toebox is very wide in these shoes, which allow the toes to spread out and they are very comfortable.

Last year I walked in NB Leadville the vibram soles took all that the Camino could dish out, I will be wearing these again in 2016, no blisters or sore feet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just got back last Wednesday and walked the whole thing in Altra Lone Peak 2.5 with thin athletic running SmartWool socks. I also hike and run in this same setup at home. Not a single blister or foot problem, other than normal soreness from use. I saw a ton of boots strapped to packs :)

I am a travel blogger from the US, and I walked the Camino Frances in May/June 2015. Here are my experiences/recommendations with boots, sandals, and sneakers:/
Hi debby, like Kanga I too enjoyed your shoe blog. Thanks for the experience.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I only use hiking boots so have no personal experience. Observations however might be useful. I met an asian pilgrim on the Spanish side of the border in the Pyrenees walking in multi coloured trainers. He was hopping along from one dry patch to another trying to avoid the snow and mud. At one bad point that I could just plough on through, he had to try climbing up the slope to get around it. However, he was having so much difficulty getting back to the trail that I had to go partially up to help him down. He should have worn boots. In Ponferrada I met a young German pilgrim who asked me if I knew where he could buy new trainers. The soles were coming off and he was looking to buy his third pair of his camino. They were designed for jogging, not for walking 800km. Hope that helps

He must have bought cheap trainers!
My trail runners always last the entire Camino.
On a winter Camino in the snow, I'd probably look into boots.
But any other time of year, I'm happy in my New Balance!

[Quote = "november_moon, Post: 349.977, Mitglied: 15209"] Ich interessiere mich für die Erfahrungen von Menschen, die in Tennisschuhe / Turnschuhe oder Trailläufer statt Wanderschuhe oder Wanderschuhe ging. Wie hat es funktioniert für Sie? Hatten Sie genug Unterstützung für die Strecke Abschnitte? Waren die Sohlen stabil genug? Wie ist es mit der Extragewicht zu einer Packung zu gehen?

Ich trug rund Wanderschuhe (Merrils) letzten Mal und es war manchmal schwer zu kämpfen auf den harten Oberflächen - Unterseiten der Füße nahm einen schweren Hämmern. Ich ersetzte meine Einlagen, die geholfen haben, aber das Problem nicht vollständig lösen. Ich plane meine nächste Camino (Mai 2016) und ich überlege, zu Fuß in den Tennisschuhen oder Trailrunner diese Zeit herum. Ich gehe viel zu Hause in meinem Tennisschuhe und meine Füße lieben sie (Ich trage, Asics).

Ich werde mit meinem Tennis-Schuhe zu experimentieren, während das Tragen meinem Rucksack und sehen Sie, wie das geht - auch auf einigen Strecken - Ich bin nur daran interessiert, Erfahrungen anderer Leute auch.

Dank :)[/ QUOTE]

He must have bought cheap trainers!
My trail runners always last the entire Camino.
On a winter Camino in the snow, I'd probably look into boots.
But any other time of year, I'm happy in my New Balance!
As I only use boots, I dont know a trail runner from what we commonly call trainers. What I can tell you is they were not cheap ones. They were from a very well known company with the letter 'k' in the brand name

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Boots for the first two, Asics for the next six, Ecco sandals for the last two.

I think far more important than over the foot is what is under the foot - good comfortable last, tough sole, lots of cushioning.

I did the Primitivo in July (first Camino) in a pair of Brooks trainers - they were the most amazingly cushioned runners and with those and my (ridiculously expensive but worth every penny) Icebreaker socks I didnt get a single blister, gave most of my fixamol away - seemed to deal with any muddy bits too although we didnt have too much as the weather was amazing

€46,-
I am training for my first Camino in Altra Lone Pines. My only concern is how sore my feet get when I have to walk distances on pavement. Did you get aftermarket innersoles?

For a long time I didn't use additional insoles bat lately, because of advanced age?, I do and it certainly helps me. Important to make sure that there is enough place in your shoes/boots for both, your feet and the insoles ;-) Buen Camino, SY

For a long time I didn't use additional insoles bat lately, because of advanced age?, I do and it certainly helps me. Important to make sure that there is enough place in your shoes/boots for both, your feet and the insoles ;-) Buen Camino, SY

What kind of insoles did you use?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought pretty generic, cushioning ones at Decathlon, an European sport articles supermarket. The important thing is the same like with shoes. Try them out, with the shoes you plan to wear with them, in the afternoon when your feet tend to be a bit more swollen. Buen Camino, SY

@JillGat it is a good idea to trial on pavement, because you will undoubtedly get a fair bit on most caminos - although I hear the Camino de Madrid is almost all on soft paths (correct me if I'm wrong, those of you who have walked it). I find I do need shoes with lots of cushioning - my old Asics had that and my Ecco sandals are not bad, although not as good as the Asics were.

Good to get it sorted now, rather than on the path.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In my experience hiking the Grand Canyon and other trails, I preferred trail running shoes. I was just never comfortable in hiking shoes. I found a very reputable running store, explained what I was going to use these shoes for. The store was able to fit me with some great trail running shoes. I've had great success with them.
My suggestion would be to try some good running shoes for several months. See if you like them. If so, your question is answered. Good luck!!!:D

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.