• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For U.K. people

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
An interesting program on BBC radio 4 this morning about a pilgrim route from Southampton to Canterbury. You can catch it BBCiplayer radio. Lynn Truss and Will Parsons walk a short distance and discuss the meaning of pilgrimage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
An interesting program on BBC radio 4 this morning about a pilgrim route from Southampton to Canterbury. You can catch it BBCiplayer radio. Lynn Truss and Will Parsons walk a short distance and discuss the meaning of pilgrimage.
Yes, they have “reopened” this route. You can find complete info at: http://britishpilgrimage.org/
I was looking at the Lycian Way in Turkey as my next big adventure, but i am wary of this because of upheaval in Turkey
and have been looking at this british route instead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@long trails
That's a very sweeping statement!
He forgot to mention that it's hard to find Vegemite, the beer isn't cold enough and nobody understood his accent ;).

I've downloaded the gpx files, had a chat with Will on the website and might have a go at it next spring instead of coming to Spain. I'd probably do it the way I do the Norfolk Coastal: take my campervan, do the day's walk and catch a bus back to the van and leapfrog all the way home to Canterbury.

I'd probably do it the way I do the Norfolk Coastal: take my campervan, do the day's walk and catch a bus back to the van and leapfrog all the way home to Canterbury.
Great idea Jeff, cost of accommodation was always a factor for me when looking at some of the great walks in the UK.

Jeff that sounds like a good solution.
Yes accommodation is expensive in UK. Perhaps AirBnB might be worth a look.
We do have Youth Hostels run by YHA , they're not as cheap in as in the early days of youth hostelling although I believe they are far more comfortable nowadays.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2019 I will be walking from Stonehenge to Salisbury, to Winchester, Guildford, Canterbury and Dover. Most of the route is called the Pilgrims Way and follows more or less the North Downs Way after Farnham. As near as I can tell there is little supporting infrastructure and therefor no Pilgrim Passport required.
Winchester to Farnham is also known as St Swithuns Way and Salisbury to Winchester is also called Clarendon Way.
I plan to bring a Camino Passport in case lodgings or restaurants have stamps but I am not hopeful of filling it.
Part of My mothers family emigrated through the Home Children Program from the Union Workhouse in Guildford and I will be spendind an extra day or two there.
Any advice from the area would be welcomed and appreciated.
Buen Camino, Bom Caminho, Bon Chemin
Thanks
Jim

In 2019 I will be walking from Stonehenge to Salisbury, to Winchester, Guildford, Canterbury and Dover. Most of the route is called the Pilgrims Way and follows more or less the North Downs Way after Farnham. As near as I can tell there is little supporting infrastructure and therefor no Pilgrim Passport required.
Winchester to Farnham is also known as St Swithuns Way and Salisbury to Winchester is also called Clarendon Way.
I plan to bring a Camino Passport in case lodgings or restaurants have stamps but I am not hopeful of filling it.
Part of My mothers family emigrated through the Home Children Program from the Union Workhouse in Guildford and I will be spendind an extra day or two there.
Thanks
Jim

@Jim when are you planning to walk from Guildford onwards? I live near the Pilgrims Way and know parts of this section and North downs Way. I may be able to offer you some advice.

@Jacobus that sounds like a great route and a true pilgrimage. You are correct in saying there is little supporting infrastructure but there are bits a pieces. The YHA, sadly not the resource it once was, has Hostels at Cholderton, north of Salisbury, at Tanners Hatch and Holmbury St Mary, both near Dorking and in Canterbury. I'm to far south of your route to be of any real help but the door is always open and the guest bed aired.

You'll not encounter many Camino style sellos but most businesses have some sort of stamp or seal. Or you could just ask for a signature and a date from Publican, Vicar or a person of good-standing ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check but I believe there's a Y.H.A hostel in the old watermill in Winchester.
I've a feeling Holmbury St. Mary hostel might only be open for group booking. Tanners Hatch hostel is very close to the North Downs Way and has been upgraded from its earlier very basic state.
In Guildford rooms at the YMCA are available on a nightly rate.

Jim -
I walked some of the Pilgrim's Way earlier this year. I joined the path near Puttenham and walked as far as Canterbury. In 2019, I'll continue from Canterbury to somewhere in France. When the North Downs Way diverges from the Pilgrims Way, I usually found it better to follow the North Downs Way, because I prefer to be in the hills and off the tarmac.
You are correct that there isn't much infrastructure but at least the paths are well marked. I gave up asking businesses if they could stamp my credential. My AirBnB hosts were happy to write their names in it. There are stamps in some of the churches along the Pilgrims Way. The churches that have them are indicated in the online map:
https://www.pilgrimswaycanterbury.org/the-way/
As @long trails said, the costs on this route are rather expensive. I carried a tent, but I'm an inexperienced camper so I only used it once. With hindsight, I know that I should have used it every other day to halve my costs. Reasonably priced places to stay include Puttenham Camping Barn and the Tanners Hatch youth hostel. (Not Holmbury St. Mary, which I stayed at - It's too far off the path). I discovered that there is, supposedly, a tradition of offering hospitality to pilgrims in Aylesbury. But I have a feeling that it isn't cheap:
https://www.thefriars.org.uk/retreatpilgrim/pilgrim.html
I disagree with @long trails about the unfriendliness of the people. It's true that you won't be in a crowd of like-minded pilgrims, but I came across people who were happy to chat. If you're ready with a smile, you'll meet friendly people all along the path.
I put a journal of my walk on www.jonagrams.com - It's a personal account, not a practical guide to the route, but the photos might give you some inspiration. Let me know if you have any questions.

By the way - While walking, I read The Old Ways by Robert Macfarlane. I found the early chapters very hard going, as he keeps hitting his readers over the head with evidence of his great erudition, but it gets better. The passages about Edward Thomas, who walked the Pilgrims Way several times and died in Arras, where I will pass on my way to Rome, were very poignant.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0141030585/?tag=casaivar-21

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly The Old Mill has gone the way of many an old hostel. In this case the National Trust, bless-em, reclaimed it for themselves. I guess hanging onto a rope while you sluiced off in the mill-stream was not something the modern hosteller was prepared to embrace, and as we all know the NT does not approve of change. Though they have put baking ovens in a flour mill which as ani fule no is the traditional equivalent of lighting a bonfire in a gunpowder store.

I'm still a donating member of the YHA but I fell out long ago now with the current governing body.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks
Jim
I walked from Canterbury down to Dover this May. The logical "stages" are:

Canterbury Cathedral

Ask security on the main gate to direct you to the Information Office - do not get suckered into paying £12 for the entrance fee. They have a plain black stamp or a fancier one for the Via Francigena (which is effectively what you'll be walking).

There's a YHA a short distance from the city centre.

St Martins, Canterbury

Still in the city, tucked away down a side road. The oldest church in England that is still holding services and is a delight and has stamp.

https://www.martinpaul.org/home.htm

St Mary’s Church Patrixbourne

Quiet little place. Has stamp.

https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/kent/churches/patrixbourne.htm

St Margaret of Antioch Church, Womenswold

Usually locked because the organ is in pieces and they worry about you tripping over. Should be a note on the door advising which houses have keys so you can get stamp.

https://www.barhamdownschurches.org.uk/womenswold.htm

St Andrew’s Shepherdswell

Lovely church on the green, sells patch badges for the Via Francigena and has stamp. Good pub on green too and local shops including Co-op supermarket

http://www.kentchurches.info/church.asp?p=Shepherdswell

St Peter’s Whitfield

Often locked and has no stamp but if you're going past . . .

https://www.achurchnearyou.com/church/11946/

It's always worth asking for a stamp in pubs (we have a LOT) or village halls and parish council offices.

Thanks
Jim

Thank you all for your interesting and informative replies. The heavy expenses are expected and I am prepared for that. I will check out the links and blogs that you suggest and lose myself once again in a camino planning state of bliss. The Canadian winter will pass like a flash!

Sadly The Old Mill has gone the way of many an old hostel. In this case the National Trust, bless-em, reclaimed it for themselves. I guess hanging onto a rope while you sluiced off in the mill-stream was not something the modern hosteller was prepared to embrace, and as we all know the NT does not approve of change. Though they have put baking ovens in a flour mill which as ani fule no is the traditional equivalent of lighting a bonfire in a gunpowder store.

I'm still a donating member of the YHA but I fell out long ago now with the current governing body.
Re Winchester Mill , I've just looked it up and was going to post the same info. Tincatinker you beat me to it!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As very much younger “pilgrim” I walked Guildford-Canterbury in 32 hours (LDWA 100 event). Now, much older and a little wiser, a small one person tent is useful!

Thanks
Jim
Let me know when you expect to be around Canterbury - maybe we could meet up and I'll stand you lunch.

Do bring a pilgrim passport but don't worry about filling it. Mine are more precious than my Compostelas - you can't imagine how annoyed I was at losing one this year!

Had never heard of the Home Children Program in Canada until watching a Murdoch Mysteries episode last night. Had a cousin who was shipped off to Australia in the '50s but he was one of the lucky ones. Ended up with a decent family and went on to become a successful businessman.

Thank you Jeff, wonderful to hear from you. There are quite a few descendants from the Home Child program in Canada. My aunt and her two sisters came here. Their brother was gainfully employed or indentured and remained behind in Stoke next Guildford. Disappeared with no trace so far. My gang came over in the 1887 and except for my great grandmother they melted into the woodwork.

I agree that the passport is mor desirable than the certificates. Full of memories.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Expect lousy weather, expensive everything and unfriendly locals (particularly bad in the SE of England).

Not my experience ;-)
BC SY

The Old Way passes close to my home. So that's one "Friendly House" in the SE of England. There are others too for seekers with open hearts.

One day I take you up on your offer ;-) BC SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On BBC Sounds (their new app) you need to search for "One to One"
I hate the Sounds app. It used to be simple to find what you wanted but now they are so keen to analyse you and make suggestions that you can never find what you actually want. I can't find this morning's programme because it's listing the One to One programmes in what appears to be random order.

I hate the Sounds app. It used to be simple to find what you wanted but now they are so keen to analyse you and make suggestions that you can never find what you actually want. I can't find this morning's programme because it's listing the One to One programmes in what appears to be random order.
I know what you mean, I tried the sounds app, didn't like it so returned to the iPlayer radio app.

I know what you mean, I tried the sounds app, didn't like it so returned to the iPlayer radio app.
I don't want to have to download an app at all, I was perfectly happy wth their old online system, not least because I didn't have to give them personal information in order to access stuff. I still can't find it by going through their ordinary radio listings either, nothing is in date order.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glad this thread's still open. I am planning to do The Old Way (to Canterbury) from 2nd April. I see on the BPT website they will have a list of 'pilgrim sanctuaries' for accommodation listed from 31st March. Cutting it fine, but hoping they'll be suitable and plentiful. I'm coming from Australia so feel very 'pilgrim-like' not having anything on my journey set in stone! :) Eeek! Has anyone on this forum done this pilgrimage yet?

Glad this thread's still open. I am planning to do The Old Way (to Canterbury) from 2nd April. I see on the BPT website they will have a list of 'pilgrim sanctuaries' for accommodation listed from 31st March. Cutting it fine, but hoping they'll be suitable and plentiful. I'm coming from Australia so feel very 'pilgrim-like' not having anything on my journey set in stone! :) Eeek! Has anyone on this forum done this pilgrimage yet?
@RuthMB I am walking the Pilgrims' Way to Canterbury before beginning the Via Francigena to Rome. This is the 800 & 850 year celebrations of St. Thomas Becket so a wonderful year for this route. The pilgrim accommodations are very limited, with Aylesford Priory the best known. Most nights will be inns and pubs at modern prices. I'm compiling my research (and later my routes, GPS / KML files and reflections) online at this link, if its a help to you:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've started the Old Way (Southampton to Havant) and will do more bits during the spring. It's a route that has quite a few rail stations close by and you may be able to base yourself around Brighton (AirBnB) and have day walks from a static base.

The route is covered by Southern Rail and they have an excellent app you can download to tell you when the next train is. Helps in deciding when to cut a section short.

When you get onto the uplands (called Downs) there are a number of local bus routes to help too. Try the Stagecoach app too.

Inexpensive accommodation may be difficult but transport shouldn't be.

Is there any update information available from forum members who have recently walked this route? A peregrina friend - we met in the municipal in Sahagun in 2015 - is planning to walk this autumn and trying to limit the acknowledged expense of accommodation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.