• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For your own sake, come prepared!

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
I came home a short time ago from having walked the Camino francés and I would like to send a message to all those people who are planning to walk to Santiago. FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, PLEASE COME PREPARED! The Camino is not a weekend stroll - at times, and depending on the weather, it is serious and demanding backpacking!

I was flabbergasted at the number of people who began the walk very poorly prepared for what lies in store. People who were badly overweight. People who had not done any preparatory walking. People who arrived with inadequate footware and clothing. People with backpacks that were far too heavy.

The result is pain (blisters, sore feet, muscular strain...), disillusionment and in some cases abandonment...

Be aware that you may have to walk for day after day in the rain or under a blistering sun, which calls for "technical" clothing. That you may have to walk for miles along muddy and slippery paths, for which walking poles are very useful not to say essential. That often you will be walking on stony ground that will call for sturdy footwear. Do not underestimate the importance of your socks to avoid blisters.

If you are under 30 and in reasonable condition you will have no problem. But if you are middle-aged or retired, do come prepared!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
eamann said:
If you are under 30 and in reasonable condition you will have no problem. But if you are middle-aged or retired, do come prepared!

(edited) One needs to deduct from these statement that you do not need to be prepared for the Camino if under 30...is this post for real....? :lol: The best part? ...if you are retired :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am on my 50's and just came back from walking the Camino with a younger relative (male, athletic, slim). At the end of EVERY single day, he would be exhausted while I went on to explore the town. By the fifth day, he had a hard time keeping up pace. He had appropriate shoes and clothing, yet these older German and Irish lads on their 70's were walking by almost effortlesly.

I would say psychological state of mind is as or even more important that to be "under 30". Specially, those under 30 who seem to be paying too much attention and getting a bit too distracted..... :wink:

I am 54 and in great shape. I run about 20-30k a week and have run a half marathon in the last six months. Despite all of my conditioning, I am finding the Camino quite challenging. We are not doing more than Brierly's daily stages but it is still quite strenuous. We are currently in Logroño and the 28k from Los Arcos was one of the toughest hikes I have been on. We are all carrying about 10% of our body weight. Our feet are also sore we don't want to venture more than 100 meters from the albuergue. If anyone has good suggestions on foot care, I'd love to hear them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yodapsy said:
If anyone has good suggestions on foot care, I'd love to hear them.
STRETCH EXERCISES BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER. It really makes a difference on how tight the leg muscles get and how quickly the muscles will bounce back to normal state.

DRINK WATER FREQUENTLY. Once you get into a walking rythym you will forget to drink water. DON'T. Water flushes out the acid released to the muscles during long distance walking and that causes fatigue. Stretching helps flushing it out.

REST (and stretch) at LEAST 10 MINUTES EVERY COUPLE OF HOURS. DRINK WATER.

None of the above has anything to do with age and all to do with basic long distance walking MUST do.

Well.... the post started off excellently! Eamann had really pointed out some home truths! However, unfortunately the final statement, regarding the under 30's having no problem, while us older bunch do....especially us real oldies would be in for a hard time is an unfortunate opinion!
The fact is that the younger generation, considering themselves YOUNG, are often not so worried about preparing for a 800 km walk, because the think they are in good shape...and so they are for normal daily conditions, but the Camino is not 'normal conditions'.
Those of us who are in the over 60 bracket have more time and wisdom to prepare their bodies for this undertaking. Anne

@eamann

The best advice I saw, before walking my first camino, was 'don't walk the camino before you walk the camino'. I was in my 60's when I walked my first camino and my experience on that occasion was that it is the younger men, who think they are fit, who had the problems and had to stop. They walked too far and too fast.
It is true that the camino is not a walk in the park but it only needs common sense and a desire to finish. Older people generally have the time to walk at their own speed.
I have walked in snow, ice, rain and sun, I don't do technical clothing, I'm retired and can't afford it :)
@Yodapsy
Our feet are also sore we don't want to venture more than 100 meters from the albuergue. If anyone has good suggestions on foot care, I'd love to hear them.
I don't have a good suggestion but I am sure that socks do play a big part, also stopping early in the day so you have time to shower and rest a bit, then go out for a walk. Sometimes Albergues are in places that don't warrant a visit, my experience has been that if there is something worth seeing I can manage to get out and see it, after a little rest.
@ olivares and annakappa
What can I say, I agree, your responses just pipped mine to the post :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
:) this post made me chuckle alright. I'm in my 30s and on my recent Camino, I found it hard to keep up with folks a little older than me. And I would consider myself fit.
@olivares Stretches work a treat, they helped me, especially behind my legs when my calves were sore.

Most of us have tried to do something about flab, stamina, and feet before we left however it is very hard to actually prepare for 25k yesterday, today, tomorrow, and into next week and beyond as well. There are several options, ibuprofen is not one of them. It is available over the counter in huge 600mg doses and will knock out most of the pain but you will float along the Camino, more or less happily along until quite possibly causing a more serious problem then pain-don't be tempted. Too late to change your boots think about socks. Better yet, find a good sporting goods store in Burgos there is even an amazing shop in Castrojeriz next to the alberque and change the insoles of your boots. Every pair of boots comes with an insole usually and excuse my French, pure crap. Change them for almost anything and you will do yourself a big favor. Some are thicker and softer, some are actually stiffer, some are filled with gel, many different types for different feet of different walkers. Not cheap but will usually ease the foot pain problem.

PS Never ever take the insole from one boot and put in in another pair-a promised and certain recipe for disaster!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think I get what the OP is trying to say - that the older you are, the more important proper prep becomes. When you are younger, your body bounces back from abuse more easily and generally younger people have more stamina. So, if you have 2 people who live equivalent lifestyles, but one is 25 and the other is 55, the 25 year old will probably have more strength, stamina, and agility than the 55 year old. Maybe the OP overstated things in saying that the under 30 wouldn't have any problem, but I think most people under 30 who are in reasonable shape could probably manage the Camino without a lot of advanced training.

Actually, I would suggest that age has nothing to do with it. However, older Europeans seem to have an ease about them. Three younger ones seemed to have a harder time, trying to "run" the Camino...

I was unprepared due to injury and overweight. Just took it easy ! Stayed Orrison the just did 20-22 k / day. No problems after day 4.
If I had waited until I was "prepared" I would never have got there.
Perhaps the OP should worry about himself only. Too many people like to comment on pack weights or footwear. Fortunately most humans are intelligent enough to work it out for themselves.
Of interest plenty of people who seem prepared had injuries or blisters

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
While walking the Camino de Madrid we had to quite due to my 25 years old son.
He already went 3 times a week to a fitness for a long time, bikes etc. But: couldn't walk for a couple of days. His knees and feet "killed" him...
Before we left he said to me: mum, if I walk to fast, tell me.... :lol: :lol

Hi Eamann,
2 pairs of socks, one a liner
vasaline,
good worn in boots or walkers etc
light clothes
AND the following mate
TIME
Age has nothing to do with the camino , nothing whatsoever.
We have seen late 70 year olds stay with us from Le Puy........ all the way and we are 66yrs.

IF YOU START AS AN OLD MAN YOU WILL FINISH AS A YOUNG ONE 8) we were once told in 07
Thats all .........the rest you can get on the way .........just take you time

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some wise words being said in this thread. I'm pretty sure that when we get there my mum will leave us for dead. She's had the dream the longest, so she'll probably float the whole way.

Another 60+ peregrina reporting in -- I have walked for the last 13 years and have a slightly different slant on all of this. First, I agree with those who note that the younger pilgrims sometimes crash and burn even though by all objective measures they are fitter than us old geezers. I think it's because their cardiovascular system can easily handle 40 kms a day, and what they forget is that their muscular-skeletal system isn't used to such a daily beating. We, on the other hand, tend to walk shorter distances, which helps to keep the tendonitis, knee problems, etc, at bay. Not to say that there aren't many 40 kms a day people over 60, of course.

The other thing I've noticed is that those who really seem to be in the best shape for walking a camino are those who bring years and years of high levels of physical activity to the starting point. This is quite a challenge for those of us in the USA, where our car dependency is really hard to shake. But if you normally walk 6-8-10 miles a day as you go about your life (as many European pilgrims do) you are going to find that ramping up to camino levels isn't that big a deal.

I know I've written this before, but a real eye opener for me on my first camino in 2000, for which I trained and trained and trained, was when I asked some Belgian (?) pilgrims who were gliding along how they trained for their camino. They truly had a dumbfounded look on their faces and said something like -- how can you train to walk? You just walk.

I don't do any camino-specific training anymore, but have made a point to stay really active all year. And that has worked very well for me, with lots of benefits apart from being able to walk the camino every year. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
peregrina2000 said:
I don't do any camino-specific training anymore, but have made a point to stay really active all year. And that has worked very well for me, with lots of benefits apart from being able to walk the camino every year. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie has summed it up perfectly! All of us should just keep moving. Each time I garden on our sloping hillside, carry a load of groceries, stoop to make a bed, etc. I like to think that such effort will make it easier next time, ie late autumn 2013, to climb up the Ibaneta pass or trudge through the O Cebreiro snow.

At my age what matters most is TO CONTINUE.

Margaret Meredith

Thank for your advice to come prepared. I do not know if I am prepared enough for this road. Walking the road has been a long tme on my mind, this year it needs to happen. What I will learn and experience I accept humbley and with great thanks. Can i really be prepared for what i will find.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just booked for September... I will leave my Brazil Futbol jersey at home.

Re: For your own sake, don't prepare!

frasert said:
I was unprepared due to injury and overweight. Just took it easy ! Stayed Orrison the just did 20-22 k / day. No problems after day 4.
If I had waited until I was "prepared" I would never have got there.
Perhaps the OP should worry about himself only. Too many people like to comment on pack weights or footwear. Fortunately most humans are intelligent enough to work it out for themselves.
Of interest plenty of people who seem prepared had injuries or blisters

I'm happy to seen your comment frasert.
As a reaction to the title of this topic I would really advice anyone to stop preparing, just go, be aware and experience the camino. The mistake is that there is the thought that the camino is 'something' . This according to pictures we saw, a book we read or a film we saw like 'the way'. One expects e.g. to 'need' to walk 25k a day, but that is only in our head!.
But being on the camino NOTHING needs to happen. If one is not prepared and get tired, just stop! If the body hurts, blisters are coming up, knees start to hurt, we went to far. For an untrained person it can be after 10k, for a well trained person it can be afterr 40k. Whatever one is 20 or 70. Both went to far. 10k is fine, 25 too, and 50 too if that's ok to the person.
If one went to far, it is not because of being untrained, it is because having a plan in mind which didn't fit with the body at that moment AND sticking to that plan instead of changing it in time.
But if that is what one needs to learn on the camino, that's the (painfull) thing to learn...
So don't prepare, just be aware! :arrow:

Off course, there is the very first stage from SJPdP in which there is no choice after 7 km then to keep walking. It can be a though day, but after that, for many people 'horrible day there are nearly always many many albergues to stop the day in time.

I'm not sure one can "train" for the Camino. Sure, we can walk 3-4x a week carrying backpacks weighting 13lbs. However, I don't think that prepares one for the 13+ miles day after day for 42 days. That's walking a half marathon or more every day. I walked 230 miles last Fall and, yeah, I was tired at the end of a 5-8 hours of walking. But then I'm 71 years old, have osteoarthritis in both knees, chronic back pain, osteoporosis, asthma...lets see...what else? Oh yeah! I have hammer toes and bilateral Mortom's Neuroma. AND..I'm overweight. The beginning was tough, but by the end, I was strong. What I did was exercises for the back pain and squats to strengthen my knees. Other than blisters and an infected toe nail....I did just fine. No back pain and my knees didn't hurt.

BTW..I'm going back in May 2014 to do the whole 790+ k. I'll celebrated my 72nd birthday somewhere along the way.

Buen Camino
Patty

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I´'m at the other end of the Camino, and I certainly applaud the comments in this thread, I would just like to introducd another thought; be prepared fro the END of your Camino as well as you will prepàre for the beginning.
I wrote about this for The Little Fox's new website today and I thought I would do an advance sharing with you. It´s a bit long, but so is the Camino (but nowhere near as long as the journey home...):
www,thelittlefoxhouse.com

What a great thread! I'm 41, kinda ok cardiovascularly. I go to the gym, ride my bike to university etc I'm no fitness guru. My biggest learning curve was hiking/backpacking 84 miles of the Hadrian's Wall Path earlier this year. It's relatively flat, but I was in PAIN. For me, making adjustments to my shoes and lightening my gear hopefully, will be all the difference for walking my little bit on the Camino. But who knows! Like some of you have said, you just have to roll with it, hike your own hike, walk your own walk, see what works for you. I've had people laugh at me for buying walking poles. Well, guess what? I want to be laughing too and not crying when my knees start throbbing! So whatever works for YOU! At the very least, we will all come out of this great adventure, hopefully knowing ourselves a bit better. And that's really all that matters :D

IMO Patty is correct when she says in essence that you can't be prepared for the Camino, but doing whatever training you can (hiking with your pack a few times during the week, etc.) will make you better prepared than if you didn't.

Like Patty, I am in my 70s and I also have a couple of health issues/foot issues to deal with, but I always train for our hikes and backpacking trips--never as much as I could, or should, but I know that whatever efforts I make will help in the long run. You may not be duplicating what you will find on the Camino, but you are starting out stronger and with less risk of injury.
Backpack45

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IMO Patty is correct when she says in essence that you can't be prepared for the Camino, but doing whatever training you can (hiking with your pack a few times during the week, etc.) will make you better prepared than if you didn't.

This makes complete sense to me.

Our plan for training is to increase our general fitness - cardio, muscle tone, endurance - and to walk a lot. We know that while this won't completely prepare us for walking miles and miles day after day, we figure that the better shape we are in, the easier it will be to handle the physical rigors of the Camino. We are also planning a few "hiking weekends" as we get closer to our Camino - doing reasonably lengthy hikes 3 days in a row with packs. This should start the process of conditioning our bodies to walk multiple days in a row so that it isn't such a large adjustment when we get there. No matter how much we train, I still expect it to be hard, just not as hard as it would have been without the training.

My advice to any Pilgrim.

Start slowly (give your body time to adjust).

Pack as light as possible (no one ever does the first time).

Take care of your feet (if something doesn't feel right stop and address the problem).

The Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This high season we've had the privilege to meet up with many pilgrims coming through Santiago. One thing we've noticed is that older pilgrims (55+) rarely get any blisters, yet our younger pilgrim friends frequently get them as well as knee problems. Through all of our discussions about aches and pains, we've observed that the older ones are really, really good at listening to their bodies and not being afraid to take breaks and rest when their feet get hot or tired. For the younger generation (myself included since I'm in my mid-30's), the tendency is to not want to stop for as many breaks and rests. There's an anxiety about stopping - all our lives, especially if we're Americans, we've been told to just push through our pain, to stick it out, to finish the tasks of the day first and *then* rest. I think it's easy to carry this mentality into the Camino, and then we don't listen to our bodies as well as the older generation and problems develop. Maybe when we've been *with* our bodies for 20 more years we'll finally start listening :).

By the way, I would also recommend to pilgrims preparing for the Camino that they learn how to load and wear a pack properly. We see so many pilgrims coming through with their packs hanging way down on their shoulders, hip belts loose, weight distributed lopsidedly. For some of these pilgrims, they've loosened up their packs because they're in the final stretches of the Camino. However, for many of them, that's the way they wore their backpacks for the entire pilgrimage. Please don't get me wrong - I am not trying to criticize - but the way one wears his/her pack can affect shoulders, back, knees, and feet, and it's good to know how to prevent those problems. Here's a good starter thread for those who are unsure how to best pack a pack: equipment-questions/topic16514.html

Buen Camino to all!

This will be my first Camino starting late Aug. I am going back to Scandi this summer so will hike in proper terrain! Planning to take it as it comes with no return flight booked!

See you there:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

My first Camino I was physically prepared, however, I was not familiar with my pack or the needs of my feet with the day to day pounding. I found out after three days, that I needed poles to assist me, particularly on the descents but also with establishing a walking rhythm. I developed a large blister, which I failed to attend to properly. I tried various combinations of socks and liners, only to find out that for me, the key was to change socks about 2-3 times per day to keep my feet dry. I tried to keep up with walking companions even though I felt it was uncomfortable for me. My second Camino, I was not as phyically prepared, but I was familiar with my pack, my feet needs and my limits and I basically walked myself comfortably in to shape. Although there are basic "givens", such as minimize your pack weight, I found that everyone is different and needs to discover what works for them. As for the under 30, they were borrowing the ibuprofen from the seniors. Many refused to listen to their limits and ended up with knee issues or shin splints and had to stop and rest for a few days, skip stages or just quit their Camino. You will see pilgrims who practiced with their packs for long walks at great elevation changes for many months and they breezed through their camino and you will see others who did the same and for some reason, they develop physical or mental problems on the third day. It's the beauty of the unpredictable camino, know yourself, know your limits, attack your issues quickly and be willing to adapt or adjust.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I completed my first Camino in May, taking 37 glorious days to walk from St Jean. My pre Camino training included some upper body strength training and lots of sleep. I do not think that any amount of training can completely prepare you for the Camino. Factoring in the inclement weather (sunshine one day, blizzards the next), the psychological 'hills' and the dramatic change in routine there are many more obstacles than just the physical challenges. With this in mind, I do not believe that age dictates who experiences more suffering nor grace on the Camino. The entire amazing experience will be what it is, once the decision has been made to take that first step the only thing you can really be prepared for is to expect the unexpected. Whether you are 30 or 80, walk with blisters or without, averaging 7km a day or 25km a day, in stages, weeks, days or months...the Camino will dictate the journey and that is what you should prepare for.

Olivares: Your advice has been quite helpful. I have been stretching and drinking more water and although my feet still hurt, they are much better. We are now in Boadillas del Camino and I no longer wake up in the morning hardly able to stand. Thank You!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373306004.235206.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373306004.235206.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,665
I have to disagree with the original post
I am under 30 and overweight and cannot run for 2 minutes without sweating profusely
I did no training whatsoever i just set realistic targets each day i broke stages up to suit myself
The top post is very negative if you can walk the 5 mins to the shops down the street you can do the camino tomorrow.

Theres no harm in being prepared but you shouldn't put people off. Your advice is greatly appreciated but i have to say i was surprised by your negative tone.

What i'm trying to say is that no one walks "the camino" everyone walks "their own camino" its not a race if you set realistic targets in the first week you'll get your legs and be able to knock out 25-30km days.

If you need something the camino will provide it, if you've brought too much you can send it home if you get hotspots rest and change your socks passing pilgrims will have encyclopedic knowledge of whats up ahead, how to treat blisters, how far to the next town/shop/albergue

If money is no issue and your not sick or ill you could catch a flight in the morning pick up all the gear you need in one of the many supply shops in any of the major starting towns and be on camino the next day.

The camino is for everyone its inclusive not exclusive

It all boils down to common sense

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yodapsy said:
Olivares: Your advice has been quite helpful. I have been stretching and drinking more water and although my feet still hurt, they are much better. We are now in Boadillas del Camino and I no longer wake up in the morning hardly able to stand. Thank You!
Elated to hear the advice was helpful!! Keep it up! Buen Camino!

It is an old and very trite expression, but unfortunately "common sense" is not always so common and to say that anyone with common sense can walk the camino with no problems might be going a little too far in the other direction from the original post.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
keoghy said:
I am under 30 and overweight and cannot run for 2 minutes without sweating profusely
I did no training whatsoever i just set realistic targets each day i broke stages up to suit myself
The top post is very negative if you can walk the 5 mins to the shops down the street you can do the camino tomorrow.

The camino is for everyone its inclusive not exclusive

It all boils down to common sense

Hola - Please excuse me shortening and bolding part of your quoted post.

Regarding the first part; I'm not so sure that you'd say that if you weren't under thirty. I'm quite prepared to agree that people under thirty can use common sense and set off on the camino whatever their physical condition (in general). Older people however may have a variety of physical challenges that REQUIRE that they prepare themselves before embarking on a five hundred mile walk.

When you say that 'It all boils down to common sense,' I'd wholly agree with you.

tony1951 said:
I'm quite prepared to agree that people under thirty can use common sense

Not when I was under thirty :mrgreen:

Even if a person doesn't have any health or fitness issues older people have worse recovery.

Younger people can do stupid things . It's part of youth. A kid will fall down all the time . Often the worst thing that happens is a scraped knee. The older you get the worse that simple fall gets. The harder it is to recover from over exertion. Or any other problem.

The thing age brings is the wisdom to slow down. It's not a race. Nobody needs to set a record. Stop,adjust your pack,bootlaces or smell the flowers.

Thanks! This post gives me some comfort! I am 33, have bad knees, can't run to save my life (the last two points no doubt due to being overweight), but I can walk - I have no idea how far, but I can. I plan on walking from SPJdP to Santiago next year, and have taken out a gym membership so that I can increase my fitness levels as well as flexibility, but I am not expecting miracles...

why is it in my albergue in santiago it is always the young peregrinos who are exhausted, who are in need of a shower and a nap upon their arrivals. while on the other hand the over 50's peregrinos, the over 60's and older peregrinos , who are ready to drop their rucksacks, take a shower and go out again to enjoy santiago.

i did hardly any training before my 2 caminos, but in my old age i made it to santiago without any problems. i rest my case.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Prior to our camino I had many 'discussions' with my thirty year old daughter who assumed that her 'youth' would prevail on our camino and she would automatically be ok without any training because of her age. Whereas I, who had never walked further than the corner shop, set about a long and arduous training programme in the mountains surrounding my home. On day one, over the Napoleon pass, I felt a mixture of smugness and compassion as I virtually sailed up and over, whilst my daughter found it seriously difficult.

However as we progressed along the way, our situations reversed, she got stronger and I became exhausted, although after a couple of weeks my stamina did improve and by the end of week three we were walking on equal terms.

I guess though that we more mature pilgrims probably learn to listen to our bodies more closely and pace ourselves accordingly.

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

how true Choweth!..... one can never be truely prepared..... thats life....

this thread has made me laugh!.... eamman... its a little presumptious to lable people!!.. saying middle aged and retired people need to be prepared.... ummmm... I am thinking ANY age should be prepared!
and just to clarify.....what is your definition of middle aged???

I also know.... if my 23 and 26 year old daughters were to walk the Camino with me next year..... I think I would be carrying them!!!...they dont have half my stamina and fitness !! lol;lol;

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well.... the post started off excellently! Eamann had really pointed out some home truths! However, unfortunately the final statement, regarding the under 30's having no problem, while us older bunch do....especially us real oldies would be in for a hard time is an unfortunate opinion!
The fact is that the younger generation, considering themselves YOUNG, are often not so worried about preparing for a 800 km walk, because the think they are in good shape...and so they are for normal daily conditions, but the Camino is not 'normal conditions'.
Those of us who are in the over 60 bracket have more time and wisdom to prepare their bodies for this undertaking. Anne

We'll said, Anne.

We'll said, Anne.

My goal (as it was when I used to run marathons 25 years ago) is to finish the camino and enjoy my walk along the way. I know I am no longer 30 but I have learned to pace myself and know my limitations. I have also prepared by walking a lot.

when I used to
The downfall of many middle aged pilgrims!:)

You are right; take it easy, quite when you have had enough for the day. After six hours of walking, I carefully examine whether I need to do more. Unless there is a compelling reason to move on, I head for a bunk. Obviously, others can do more, and to them I offer congratulations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
People come in all levels of fitness in each stage of life. May those of you under 30 be as fortunate as many of the over 50 crowd when you reach that age. Surely the Camino is about more than age and stereotypes.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back