• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Forcing your dog, toddler, spouse to walk the Camino with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
According to common understanding, the camino is a pilgrimage. Be it for reasons of faith, religion, spirituality, self-reflection, personal experience or endurance, etc.
All above being strictly personal reasons and choices.
It is also being said, that everyone does his/her own camino.

Then why on earth
• do some people force their dogs to share their journey?
• do some parents drag their toddlers and small kids along?
• do spouses….oh well, these have at least a choice 😉.

Is it because they like to walk but are unable to leave dog, toddler, spouse at home alone?
But would such forcing of someone dependent and unable to take own decisions be consistent with the spirit of pilgrimage?

Just wondering 🤔

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
An interesting question, and I look forward to see how others respond. My wife walked because she wanted to, or so she told me at the time. But as I am not a mind reader, other than this specific instance where I trust my spouse has been honest with me, your first question appears largely rhetorical.

Your second question is based on the notion that coercion of some form or other is involved. And here again my mind reading skills obviously fail me. I didn't see any outward signs that dogs and children were being coerced. In the case of service dogs, it might be expected that they would accompany the person they are supporting. That is what they have been trained to do, after all. Similarly, a pack animal like a donkey or mule, or a horse being ridden is presumably also not going to be an issue of coercion, although all might need to be coaxed to speed up or traverse some obstacle.

So I didn't see any evidence that animals, children and spouses were being coerced in the way that your question suggests, which makes me wonder what you observed that gives rise to your concern on this matter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have never needed to ‘force’ my dog to take a walk!
Does your dog know that there will be
- maybe a trip in a cage in a freight section on a flight at first?
- that you are taking him on a 30-days plus walk of x-hundred KM?
- hot weather, burning hot pavements?
- crossings of alien territories defended by ferocious guarding-dogs?
- nights to spend tied-up in unfamiliar places?

Probably you take his waggling tail an affirmativ answer 🐶

According to common understanding, the camino is a pilgrimage. Be it for reasons of faith, religion, spirituality, self-reflection, personal experience or endurance, etc.
All above being strictly personal reasons and choices.
It is also being said, that everyone does his/her own camino.

Then why on earth
• do some people force their dogs to share their journey?
• do some parents drag their toddlers and small kids along?
• do spouses….oh well, these have at least a choice 😉.

Is it because they like to walk but are unable to leave dog, toddler, spouse at home alone?
But would such forcing of someone dependent and unable to take own decisions be consistent with the spirit of pilgrimage?

Just wondering 🤔

stop wondering and keep on wandering:) Needless perusals of this sort will only induce migraines and the cacas.

Buen camino :)

The malingerer

Since neither a dog nor a toddler is ever able to provide informed consent, one must hope that the adult has given due consideration of the risks and benefits, the pros and cons before embarking on said journey. Neither dogs nor toddlers are given the opportunity to chose their family either. Generally speaking, it is better for toddlers to be with their parents rather than spend a month ensconsed in someone else's care.

Some human adults have no clue what is involved in the pilgrimage either. But the whole thing (hauling kids and animals along) would not be much different than what our ancestors did a thousand years ago in order to attend a fair or a spring clan meeting or a thing.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@NorthernLight, my thoughts exactly, differently and well expressed. To "Some human adults have no clue what is involved in the pilgrimage" I would add that at least they essentially bear the consequences themselves.

The reason I raised the subject (@dougfitz) is that I have been in a number of situations I just did not know if I should join the unanimous onlookers exclaiming the eagerly solicited "how cute, how sweet" just to be friendly ("positive judgement") or to ask some critical questions, when the dog did or toddler in fact did not look so happy, ("negative judgement") along the Camino, where judgments of whatever sort are (rightly-) a no-go. If I follow the @malingerer advise, I will automatically be considered to be a "negative judger".

I’ve encountered families hauling young children and pets along the way. On second or third encounters with them, I’ve asked them how the children and pets are coping. Mostly these have been responsible adults who keep stages short, who include plenty of play and rest time, who love their kids and pets and base decisions on their overall well-being. One family hauled a small wagon so they could bring a tent and sleep outside the albergues with their dog. They checked paws regularly.

Of course there are others who are not so responsible, or capable. Their pets and kids are likely as well looked after and/or neglected at home.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The reason I raised the subject (@dougfitz) is that I have been in a number of situations I just did not know if I should join the unanimous onlookers exclaiming the eagerly solicited "how cute, how sweet" just to be friendly ("positive judgement") or to ask some critical questions, when the dog did or toddler in fact did not look so happy, ("negative judgement") along the Camino, where judgments of whatever sort are (rightly-) a no-go. If I follow the @malingerer advise, I will automatically be considered to be a "negative judger".
@pepi thx for that explanation, but why do you have to be judgemental at all. If you are concerned, there are one or two questions that might be asked: 'Are you okay?' and 'Is there something I can do to help?'. I think the first is useful anytime, the second might be more limited to times when you see someone that looks like they are having difficulty. In any case, respect the answer. If you don't think asking the question is needed, have a chat or move on - the choice is yours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back