• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fording streams.

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Hi all.
I have found a warning on the Malaga association site that the pilgrim must be aware of the possibility of long detours because of flooded streams in the rainy season.
The questions are I guess, where and when? Is there a serious risk?
As there is a strong chance this will be a solo Camino I would be very risk averse, even a minor mishap could have major consequences!
Regards
George

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi George, the short answer is yes it would be risky, I know that when the streams and rivers here flood a lot of debris gets washed along in the flow, there is where the danger lies, you could be half way across and a branch or other item could take the legs from beneath you, added to that the current will be much stronger than normal, the combination would be very dangerous. Where and when on that route, on that issue I'm afraid I cannot help.

Hi, George,
I think the real trouble spot is that arroyo after the Italian ruins at Italica and before Guillena. There has been a lot of agitation to get a bridge built, but no success so far. When the flooding is a problem, though, the road alternative is well marked.

The other spots I remember from my Camino were before and after Fuente de Cantos. I had to take off my boots to wade across, but it was no more than knee high, and not dangerous. I am not aware that these spots are ever deep enough to require a detour.

It's also a problem limited to spring, when I walked in May, the worst was over. When will you be walking? Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for that wayfarer, I'm in the initial planning stages for next years camino, and gathering info, I remember that there was a lot of posts about a stream early on on the Plata and when I got there it was just a smelly ditch that was very easy to cross, but I understand a some times of the year it can be a major problem.
Regards
George

Hi Laurie,
I'm looking for info about the route from Malaga/Cordoba/Merida. It came as a bit of a suprise to see the warning about streams, I know that the weather can have a dramatic effect on them so its difficult to be too precise, I just want an idea (photo would be great) of the problems on that route, distance, solitude, hills, route markings I can cope with but raging torrents are a no no
regards
George
PS thanks for all your info on the Levante/Sureste I walked this year, what a camino !!

Oops, sorry, George, I just assumed you were talking about the Vdlp. I haven't (yet :)) walked the Mozarabe, but I have been very lucky emailing questions to the associations and getting a lot of helpful responses. If the web page lists an email, I'd try asking them for specific information. But I don't think you are likely to be in danger of getting into a mess you can't get out of if you use common sense, unless the terrain between Malaga and Merida is radically different than Sevilla to Merida.

Yes, I agree with your assessment of the Levante. It was terrific, I would happily walk it again. Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am also very interested in any responses to this thread. Am planning to walk from Málaga. Possibly to Córdoba (with a friend) in March and then returning to recommence in my preferred time frame of mid April.

There are accepted standard procedures for fording rivers a google search will produce much advice, useful, useless and down-right dangerous too. I was particularly fond of the "inflated cow stomach technique - first catch your cow...".

A recommended approach is to assess before access - sit for a while and watch the stream,
  • what speed is the current? Anything faster than a fast walking pace do not attempt to cross
  • how deep is the water? if you can't see the bottom or make a reasonable assessment of depth do not attempt to cross
  • what forms the river bed - mud, rock, boulders, weed
  • is there debris in water? The water level may be rising. Wait and continue observation.
  • are there any areas of obvious turbulence? This may indicate under-water obstructions or sudden changes in depth and should be avoided.
  • if you decide to ford use a staff / long stout stick.
  • Test the depth of the water where you intend to step
  • brace the staff down-stream before you move your feet
  • repeat with each step
  • If you decide to abort face down stream as you turn
  • If you fall or are swept of your feet try to keep your feet pointed down stream to protect your head.

AND be aware of the weather. I've watches a Series 4 Landrover swept away and completely destroyed in an arroyo not far north of Malaga. When it was parked the owners remarked on the spectacular thunderstorm that was occurring not far away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all,
I am trying to make a definite decision for next year and get down to some serious planning, I will walk from Malaga/Almeria/Valencia/Alicante, but Malaga would be the first choice, but if there are significant river/arriyo crossings, and given the uncertainty of what you could find when you got there a alternative camino could be the answer I would have no problem with repeating the Sureste/Levant as there are so many route options. and I now realise how much I missed ie the "traditional" approach to Toledo rather than the skulk down the side of a motorway that I experienced.
Regards
George

Last edited:
Hi Magwood and Laurie,
On youtube there is a clip labelled "Camino Mozarabe (camino santiago) Malaga - Baena e Jaen - Alcaudete.
very informative, pictures of albergues en route, about 4.30 mins from start there's a shot of some stepping stones over the rio anzur.
using the walking pilgrim site it looks to be just after the motorway to the north after Encinas Reales and before Lucena. I think this crossing can be easy avoided by just taking the N331 to Lucena. If you google "rio anzur" there are a number of images most showing it in heavy flood!
regards
George

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back